The best musical youve been to

rudi must stay

rudi must stay
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Martine was meant to be great in this . 

agree re “ wicked “ I thought it was overrated . 

She was quality. Played the maracas 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

She was quality. Played the maracas 

Eliza Doolittle playing them ? 😂I love the great lyrics in this song . Rex Harrrison was professor Higgins . The ending of the film is one of my favourite film endings 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

I P Knightley
42 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I had a few years on the west end as Jesus and Jesus Christ Superstar

Wait, what??

You can sing like Murray Head? Him and Gillan on the original soundtrack is a phenomenal double act. 

West End??

Flippin' heck - that's impressive!!

41 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

My Fair Lady (with Martine McCutcheon:tt1:)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

School of Rock

Les Mis

Matilda

Cats

Sound of Music

Jesus Christ Superstar

Blood Brothers

probably others i've forgotten about right now.

Basically i love a musical but would rate Matilda and School of Rock highest simply because the whole family loved them.

But thought Wicked was dull and Rent was absolute gash.

I don't know where you saw Matilda but I saw it on what must have been its original West End run. 

The sound mix was awful. Very loud musical backing that drowned out the lyrics. Given that I didn't know the story from the Dahl book, I didn't have a clue what was going on. 

Maybe it's Roald Dahl thing as when I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it too me ages to work out which of the nasty wee characters was which for the same reason; I couldn't hear what they were singing about when being introduced and couldn't remember all the characters from the book. 

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

They are called “ juke box “ musicals . The theatre darlings frown on them but they are box office 

I get the appeal but would risk being called a theatre luvvie by putting them in their own category. 

I don't dislike them - I was the first off my seat to start dancing at Mamma Mia; I've seen Jersey Boys twice; really enjoyed the Kinks one; Ain't Too Proud was great and, as I said, Someshite on Leith - both the film and the stage show get my thumbs up. 

9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Eliza Doolittle playing them ? 😂I love the great lyrics in this song . Rex Harrrison was professor Higgins . The ending of the film is one of my favourite film endings 

That can **** right off!

Conflates English and British and has a pop at anyone not using Received Pronunciation

Nookie Bear
42 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

They are called “ juke box “ musicals . The theatre darlings frown on them but they are box office 

Musical equivalents of the half and half scarf.

Nookie Bear
25 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

That can **** right off!

Conflates English and British and has a pop at anyone not using Received Pronunciation

Absolutely Mcglashan GIF - Absolutely Mcglashan Scots - Discover & Share  GIFs

Nookie Bear
31 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Wait, what??

You can sing like Murray Head? Him and Gillan on the original soundtrack is a phenomenal double act. 

West End??

I don't know where you saw Matilda but I saw it on what must have been its original West End run. 

The sound mix was awful. Very loud musical backing that drowned out the lyrics. Given that I didn't know the story from the Dahl book, I didn't have a clue what was going on. 

Maybe it's Roald Dahl thing as when I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, it too me ages to work out which of the nasty wee characters was which for the same reason; I couldn't hear what they were singing about when being introduced and couldn't remember all the characters from the book. 

I get the appeal but would risk being called a theatre luvvie by putting them in their own category. 

I don't dislike them - I was the first off my seat to start dancing at Mamma Mia; I've seen Jersey Boys twice; really enjoyed the Kinks one; Ain't Too Proud was great and, as I said, Someshite on Leith - both the film and the stage show get my thumbs up. 

Matilda was London and then again in Edinburgh. It helped that i knew the songs already so wasn't aware of any issues with the sound. seemed fine to me though!

Nookie Bear
45 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Martine was meant to be great in this . 

agree re “ wicked “ I thought it was overrated . 

Yeah i think it was quite soon after she left Eastenders but you could tell she was special.

Wicked is a good show but i couldn;t have hummed a single tune minutes after leaving the theatre.

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Matilda was London and then again in Edinburgh. It helped that i knew the songs already so wasn't aware of any issues with the sound. seemed fine to me though!

Doubting myself now whether i saw Matilda in Edinburgh. Might be thinking of School of Rock.

And i forgot Miss Saigon which is just amazing.

N Lincs Jambo
40 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Rocky Horror Show not mentioned yet!

Was given tickets to see RHS last October as an early Christmas present from our daughter who works at one of the theatres in Hull. Didn't dress up and some of the sights I saw in the audience I really wouldn't want to see again.

JudyJudyJudy
42 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Wait, what??

West End??

Yes I like them too . 

35 minutes ago, AyrJambo said:

That can **** right off!

The musical ,  book and play “ Pygmallion “ actually address the whole snobbery and social class issues . It’s almost the whole point of the show , people are people no matter how they speak , or which class they are from . Prof Higgins acknowledges he is an “ infernal snob “ and looks down on the “ guttersnip “ Eliza but actually realises his snobbery is baseless and falls in love with working class Eliza . A lesson to be learned in that . 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Luckies1874

Top 5:

Les Miserables

Book of Mormon

Jersey Boys

Beautiful The Carole King Musical

Hamilton

30 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes I like them too . 

The musical ,  book and play “ Pygmallion “ actually address the whole snobbery and social class issues . It’s almost the whole point of the show , people are people no matter how they speak , or which class they are from . Prof Higgins acknowledges he is an “ infernal snob “ and looks down on the “ guttersnip “ Eliza but actually realises his snobbery is baseless and falls in love with working class Eliza . A lesson to be learned in that . 

Fair enough J3 wasn't seeing it in context 👍

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, AyrJambo said:

Fair enough J3 wasn't seeing it in context 👍

That’s ok . 👍 in the end Higgins realises he’s needs her more than he needs him . It’s a lovely tale of acceptance of people despite differences and then falling in love with them . The film ending illustrates that perfectly .

I got dragged to see Chicago by friends when I was in New York in 2019. Didn't fancy it (or any other musical) at all, but ended up really enjoying it. 

John Findlay
3 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Was given tickets to see RHS last October as an early Christmas present from our daughter who works at one of the theatres in Hull. Didn't dress up and some of the sights I saw in the audience I really wouldn't want to see again.

It was Hull. Nobody dressed up.

N Lincs Jambo
12 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It was Hull. Nobody dressed up.

Oh they sure did John. 80+ year olds in leather basques, stockings, suspenders and high heeled shoes being looked after by their carers was a sight for sore eyes - not! 😂

John Findlay
9 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Oh they sure did John. 80+ year olds in leather basques, stockings, suspenders and high heeled shoes being looked after by their carers was a sight for sore eyes - not! 😂

That was normal dress in the nightclub Romeo and Juliette's in Hull. Normal age for good few of the females too!!

N Lincs Jambo
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

That was normal dress in the nightclub Romeo and Juliette's in Hull. Normal age for good few of the females too!!

Closed before I moved to the area unfortunately. The females would only have been about 35. Trawling is a hard life 😂 

John Findlay
1 minute ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Closed before I moved to the area unfortunately. The females would only have been about 35. Trawling is a hard life 😂 

😂

Rupert Pupkin
23 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Blood brothers is outstanding too . I think I saw Marti Webb in it but would loved to have seen Petula Clark 

Was KiKi Dee in it when I saw it,High School trip to London .

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Rupert Pupkin said:

Was KiKi Dee in it when I saw it,High School trip to London .

Yes she was too. Its a great role for an actress. However i saw it one time and one of the Nolan sisters was in it and her voice was " creaky" to say the least. 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes she was too. Its a great role for an actress. However i saw it one time and one of the Nolan sisters was in it and her voice was " creaky" to say the least. 

If only there was a separate forum for you. "Judy" talks about musicals all day 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

If only there was a separate forum for you. "Judy" talks about musicals all day 

I know I’m such a cliche 😂 I like them . We should live life like them . Just burst into songs whenever we want ! 

rudi must stay

I know I’m such a cliche 😂 I like them . We should live life like them . Just burst into songs whenever we want ! 

My favourite is the film Moulin Rouge 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

My favourite is the film Moulin Rouge 

Yes it’s great . Brilliant new spin on musicals . Loved it . Esp  “ because we can can can “ brilliant editing and choreography 

rudi must stay

Yes it’s great . Brilliant new spin on musicals . Loved it . Esp  “ because we can can can “ brilliant editing and choreography 

Not a happy ending though

JudyJudyJudy

in my London 80s days I saw various great musicals

” 42nd street “ ( mentioned earlier ) 

“ me and my girl “ with Lorraine chase . She was brilliant in it . Its the “ Lambeth walk “ musical 

“ guys and dolls “ with Lulu and others . Was terrific too 

“ South Pacific “ with Gemma Craven . Outstanding 

few stinkers too

” Gigi “ with beryl reid , load of crap 

“ wonderful town “ wasn’t wonderful at all

Boston Jambo

In the following order

Hamilton

Hadestown

Wicked

Chicago.

I saw them on Broadway last autumn.

Hamilton appealed to me the most as I love history.

“How does a b@$t@rd orphan, son of a whore and a Scotsman,"

Edited by Boston Jambo

Nookie Bear

My family loving the soundtrack to Six right now and I think it’s coming to Edinburgh soon. 

Heart of Darkness

Jesus Christ Superstar at the Playhouse last night was absolutely outstanding!! The last 10 minutes when Jesus gets beaten, lashed then crucified was horrific to watch, not one person in the audience made a noise. 

I highly recommend this if you can get a ticket, it's not on long.