A trophy in every decade since the start of trophies - except 70s and 80s

Sooks

Is that correct ? Certainly since the 90 s we have . The 70 s and 80 s are actually a bit of an outlier I think . The war years will have had an impact probably ? Certainly since the 50 s we have won a trophy or more every decade since then except the 70 s and 80 s

Is there somewhere I can get a list of the honours for reference 

Thought it might be a good discussion even if it turns out not to be true , and I have made a tit of it 

Honours  

Domestic - League

Scottish Division One champions: 1894-95, 1896-97, 1957-58, 1959-60

Scottish Division One / Championship champions: 1979-80, 2014-15, 2020-21

Domestic - Cup

Scottish Cup winners: 1890-91, 1895-96, 1900-01, 1905-06, 1955-56, 1997-98, 2005-06, 2011-12

Scottish League Cup winners: 1953-54, 1957-58, 1958-59, 1961-62

Edited by cheetah

hughesie27

Thank god we won the Championship 3 years ago. Thats us sorted till the 30s.

1910's, 1920's, 1930's, 1940's and 1970's were all barren.

Would be nice to get 10 big cups asap.  

A landmark achievement to reach double figs wins in a competition.  

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Yeah, we didn't get a chance of a second tier title in those decades, apart from the 70s.  

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

It would be but I've seen 3 in my lifetime where, for a long part of it, I was convinced I'd never see us win a major trophy.  

22 minutes ago, cheetah said:

70s aside those are probably quite caveat worthy decades for massive reasons 

9 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Six years to make my lifetime record a cup a decade except the 80 s and 70 s ( although I was born half way through 79 so I do not really count that 

I am soooo glad I missed the 70 s as a supporter , would have been utter shite , despite all the misty eyed stuff about us being a hard support and other unimportant things 

PortyBeach
31 minutes ago, Sooks said:

70s aside those are probably quite caveat worthy decades for massive reasons 

The Great War probably robbed us of the chance of some honours. 
The inter-war years are a mystery. Outside the OF, only Motherwell FC won a title in those years (although older ‘Well fans might complain some dodgy refereeing prevented more).

We also failed to reach a Cup Final in these years.
Even Hibs managed two finals although in time-honoured fashion, they flunked both.

You can argue all day as to the reasons why Hearts had such a disappointing period between the wars I suppose…

Shooter McGavin

2020 Scottish Cup final still makes me feel sick - 2 penalties away from lifting it.

Would have been bitter sweet not being there to see it, or having the open top bus though.

Go for it 1308
44 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I am soooo glad I missed the 70 s as a supporter , would have been utter shite , despite all the misty eyed stuff about us being a hard support and other unimportant things 

Trust me mate. It was utter shite. I can remember crying as a wee kid if we got beat (again) and dreading school on a Monday morning from those little hibs tosser school kids😢

3 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Trust me mate. It was utter shite. I can remember crying as a wee kid if we got beat (again) and dreading school on a Monday morning from those little hibs tosser school kids😢

A lot of guys your age talk about it like it was some sort of golden era sometimes . Just sounds a bit shit to me 

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

A lot of guys your age talk about it like it was some sort of golden era sometimes . Just sounds a bit shit to me 

It was, but those times shaped the level headed, fair minded, delightful fecker I am today.

Gundermann
1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

An absolute shite record to be honest. 

Yes, underachievement is the norm.

inspector
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

It would be but I've seen 3 in my lifetime where, for a long part of it, I was convinced I'd never see us win a major trophy.  

This. 1998 was glorious. For me, 1998 beats 2012 (not that l didn't enjoy that)

22 minutes ago, martoon said:

It was, but those times shaped the level headed, fair minded, delightful fecker I am today.

Gundermann
34 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Yeah, 70s was woeful bar the odd blip like the Leipzig game. My first game was in the auld 1st Div and we yo-yoed for years.

2 hours ago, cheetah said:
Honours  

Domestic - League

Scottish Division One champions: 1894-95, 1896-97, 1957-58, 1959-60

Scottish Division One / Championship champions: 1979-80, 2014-15, 2020-21

Domestic - Cup

Scottish Cup winners: 1890-91, 1895-96, 1900-01, 1905-06, 1955-56, 1997-98, 2005-06, 2011-12

Scottish League Cup winners: 1953-54, 1957-58, 1958-59, 1961-62

Our last League Cup win was 1962-63. We lost the 1961-62 final to Rangers, after a replay.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Six years to make my lifetime record a cup a decade except the 80 s and 70 s ( although I was born half way through 79 so I do not really count that 

We’ve had a good go in recent years with regular final appearances and I hope we’ve still got our eye in. I worry that sometimes those spells are more rare than regular and I’d like to see us full blooded in the cup game on Sunday. 

You’ll remember the 80s into the 90s spell where we never seemed to miss a semi final.  But with every failure, allied with a reminder how long it had been since we won a cup, every year following just felt so tense. I was up at a replay at Tannadice early in JJs first period and saw Hearts fans fighting with each other as we got beaten 1-0. (Feb 1997)

However, it was the start of having our “eye in”.  We’d just had two Finals in less than a year.  I do believe in momentum and a feeling.  It was like JJ was hellbent on getting a cup over the line and not let the passion for it fade.

I hope Naisy is feeling that way just now.  

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
56 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

2020 Scottish Cup final still makes me feel sick - 2 penalties away from lifting it.

Would have been bitter sweet not being there to see it, or having the open top bus though.

Yeh. That was devastating. 😢

11 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

We’ve had a good go in recent years with regular final appearances and I hope we’ve still got our eye in. I worry that sometimes those spells are more rare than regular and I’d like to see us full blooded in the cup game on Sunday. 

You’ll remember the 80s into the 90s spell where we never seemed to miss a semi final.  But with every failure, allied with a reminder how long it had been since we won a cup, every year following just felt so tense. I was up at a replay at Tannadice early in JJs first period and saw Hearts fans fighting with each other as we got beaten 1-0. (Feb 1997)

However, it was the start of having our “eye in”.  We’d just had two Finals in less than a year.  I do believe in momentum and a feeling.  It was like JJ was hellbent on getting a cup over the line and not let the passion for it fade.

I hope Naisy is feeling that way just now.  

Good post . I hope so 

58 minutes ago, martoon said:

Fair enough :lol: 

Libertarian
2 hours ago, cheetah said:

I can't prove it but I suspect that building the Archibald Leitch stand just before the outbreak of WW1 in 1914 probably crippled the club financially for at least 20 years. Hence the lack of trophies in the inter war years. I don't even think we even reached a Scottish Cup Final during that period.

Shooter McGavin
14 minutes ago, RudiSkacelsLeftPeg said:

Yeh. That was devastating. 😢

I think overall, we're on a good path that'll lead to plenty more opportunities (3 x SC finals in 5 years), just about getting over the line.

Outside of Celtic and Rangers, we're comercially the best run club in the country. Aberdeen and Hibs business model means they essentially live and die by transfer fees, that just isn't sustainable.

Whereas we're creating and maximising on several income streams, the hotel being a good example, which ultimately increases our revenue, which could lead to an increased wage budget that will mean we can pip Aberdeen and Hibs to get players signatures.

3rd place and Euro money is massive.

2 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

An absolute shite record to be honest. 

Yep. We are criminal underachievers.

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I think overall, we're on a good path that'll lead to plenty more opportunities (3 x SC finals in 5 years), just about getting over the line.

Outside of Celtic and Rangers, we're comercially the best run club in the country. Aberdeen and Hibs business model means they essentially live and die by transfer fees, that just isn't sustainable.

Whereas we're creating and maximising on several income streams, the hotel being a good example, which ultimately increases our revenue, which could lead to an increased wage budget that will mean we can pip Aberdeen and Hibs to get players signatures.

3rd place and Euro money is massive.

Agreed. Good times ahead for us Jambos. 

2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

It would have been one of the club’s all-time great achievements. Rangers, Hibs and Celtic in the last three rounds. And when you add in the circumstances, it would have been even more special.

If Kingsley had scored the fourth, I would have backed Celtic to miss their next one and remove the need for Wighton to take his.

part_time_jambo
5 hours ago, Sooks said:

Is that correct ? Certainly since the 90 s we have . The 70 s and 80 s are actually a bit of an outlier I think . The war years will have had an impact probably ? Certainly since the 50 s we have won a trophy or more every decade since then except the 70 s and 80 s

Is there somewhere I can get a list of the honours for reference 

Thought it might be a good discussion even if it turns out not to be true , and I have made a tit of it 

Sorry, a trophy every 10 years isn't anything to shout about for a club the size of Hearts.

PortyBeach
3 hours ago, jambobas said:

Our last League Cup win was 1962-63. We lost the 1961-62 final to Rangers, after a replay.

And we won (and therefore retained) the LC in 1959-60 (not ‘57-58). 
This meant we won the double of LC and League Championship title. 😊

Shooter McGavin
1 hour ago, leginten said:

It would have been one of the club’s all-time great achievements. Rangers, Hibs and Celtic in the last three rounds. And when you add in the circumstances, it would have been even more special.

If Kingsley had scored the fourth, I would have backed Celtic to miss their next one and remove the need for Wighton to take his.

Aye it would have been huge.

It’s a weird one too, sick that we lost, but I’d also have been a bit sick that we couldn’t celebrate it or enjoy it properly at the time.

28 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Sorry, a trophy every 10 years isn't anything to shout about for a club the size of Hearts.

It is not that bad compared to other non top bracket clubs in leagues around the world . How many trophies do the biggest team outside of the top bracket teams win in other countries ? I would love us to win more but we are dwarfed by the two clubs that hoover these trophies up each season 

4 hours ago, inspector said:

This. 1998 was glorious. For me, 1998 beats 2012 (not that l didn't enjoy that)

Same here. 1998 was just brilliant even more so after earlier disappointments. 

3 hours ago, Libertarian said:

I can't prove it but I suspect that building the Archibald Leitch stand just before the outbreak of WW1 in 1914 probably crippled the club financially for at least 20 years. Hence the lack of trophies in the inter war years. I don't even think we even reached a Scottish Cup Final during that period.

The sale of Percy Dawson in a record transfer was supposed to cover that. Of course it didn’t as it ran over budget. Or possibly the other way round and we sold him to cover the shortfall. I can’t quite remember but certainly the money from him went towards the stand. 

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It is not that bad compared to other non top bracket clubs in leagues around the world . How many trophies do the biggest team outside of the top bracket teams win in other countries ? I would love us to win more but we are dwarfed by the two clubs that hoover these trophies up each season 

Correct. 

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Same here. 1998 was just brilliant even more so after earlier disappointments. 

See this is the thing that easily defines a supporters age for me . I loved 1998 but I had only experienced the 80 s as a kid and 1986 actually holds a lot of fond memories for me . The 70 s were a total anomaly and thankfully they were not a part of my Hearts supporting life . We had won trophies in the two decades before the 70 s and we have won trophies in every decade since the 80 s 

In my lifetime I think we have actually performed comparatively well in that regard compared to clubs like Everton or Real Sociadad or whatever ……….. being the next team outside of the big boys and never having the same resources to compete is something that affects almost every league . We have won at least one trophy in every decade since the 40 s except the 70 s and 80 s …………….. My Leeds and Everton supporting family will kill for that record 

queensferryjambo

We need another 3 Scottish Cups pronto - I for one am so sick of the Queens Park fans lording it over us ;)