Shanks Pen Celebration

Deodato

Saw this on the highlights, hefty shoulder barge from some unit of a Dundee defender on Shanks. 

Love how he doesn't rise to it - gets on and gets us the winner. 

Image 05-02-2024 at 10.23.jpeg

JimmyCant

I think they were a bit upset by him smashing the ball into the net just missing their keeper

3 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Saw this on the highlights, hefty shoulder barge from some unit of a Dundee defender on Shanks. 

It was three of the Dundee players that had a push at him. First the goalkeeper with a push to his neck then a shove followed by a body check as shown in this picture.

I thought the ref should have been having a word if not getting his yellow card out.

Shanks did well to just ignore them.

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It was three of the Dundee players that had a push at him. First the goalkeeper with a push to his neck then a shove followed by a body check as shown in this picture.

I thought the ref should have been having a word if not getting his yellow card out.

Agreed - the body check was bordering on cynical though  - given his size. 

Also, (late to highlights here. apols) but folks saying the pen decision would have been overturned had he gone to the screen, I think not. And this isn't maroon lenses. The Dundee defender was perfectly able to wrap his arms as the show was being taken and the hand distorted the path of the ball. I felt the referee got it right. 

That said, Dundee were a solid team - they should be gutted. We should be proud. 

I was on the W Hills betting site at the time and the betting was paused due to a “ possible red card “ 

1 minute ago, JAYEL said:

I was on the W Hills betting site at the time and the betting was paused due to a “ possible red card “ 

That's interesting. 

And a great source of football intel - follow the money. 

Diadora Van Basten
5 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Also, (late to highlights here. apols) but folks saying the pen decision would have been overturned had he gone to the screen, I think not. And this isn't maroon lenses. The Dundee defender was perfectly able to wrap his arms as the show was being taken and the hand distorted the path of the ball. I felt the referee got it right. 

That said, Dundee were a solid team - they should be gutted. We should be proud. 

I think the ref got it right.

The angle from behind appeared to show his arms were by his side but when you saw from the front his hand was away from his body enlarging his silhouette so a penalty was the correct decision.

That Trevor Carson is a bit of a walloper. Don't think he's over being injured whilst trying to tackle Uche at Fir Park. 😁

CostaJambo
9 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Of course it would have been overturned - there are only two teams in Scotland who would have got the pen had the ref gone to the screen for that call.

5 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Re the pen, I agree with your thinking. It is a very harsh rule but we are always saying that the refs need to be consistent.

His hand was out as he turned his body and it hit him. It was not intentional but as per the rules that is still a penalty.

What Managers forget to say when they are complaining about decisions they don't like is that VAR should only be used to highlight a clear and obvious error made by the ref.

He awarded the penalty and had a clear view of it so no reason for him to go and review it on the monitor. The VAR officail obviously thought likewise.

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
24 minutes ago, Deodato said:

You’re spot on. He just keeps his focus which is on only one thing and that’s trying to win the game for Hearts. 

A truly inspirational captain.

2 minutes ago, RudiSkacelsLeftPeg said:

You’re spot on. He just keeps his focus which is on only one thing and that’s trying to win the game for Hearts. 

A truly inspirational captain.

Love this. If Shanks can move us up a gear for the final run in - let's see what this team can achieve. 

Not getting ahead of my ski's here but Stevie Naismith has clearly got the boys to focus on composure - I hear him use those words a lot. We have skills, we need composure and the skill level pays off. 

All I wanna say is this: a team with composure could have a decent dash in Europe next season. 

cosanostra
27 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I think they were a bit upset by him smashing the ball into the net just missing their keeper

That's exactly why they were pissed off at him.

Der Kaiser
27 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Haven't they realised yet everytime he hits the ball at a set of goals it's never near the keeper....

:kirk:

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
Just now, Deodato said:

Love this. If Shanks can move us up a gear for the final run in - let's see what this team can achieve. 

Not getting ahead of my ski's here but Stevie Naismith has clearly got the boys to focus on composure - I hear him use those words a lot. We have skills, we need composure and the skill level pays off. 

All I wanna say is this: a team with composure could have a decent dash in Europe next season. 

Exactly mate!!

JimmyCant
1 minute ago, Der Kaiser said:

Haven't they realised yet everytime he hits the ball at a set of goals it's never near the keeper....

:kirk:

The keeper who very nearly saved the penalty ?

Shooter McGavin

They were queuing up to get a wee nudge from the leagues top goalscorer

Edited by Shooter McGavin

RustyRightPeg

Being honest I was surprised the ref never booked him for leathering the ball. It's the sort of thing they usually react to flashing a card.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Reminded me of the time Keown gave Van Nistelrooy a kidney punch, after RVN missed a penalty.

Berra than you
55 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

That Trevor Carson is a bit of a walloper. Don't think he's over being injured whilst trying to tackle Uche at Fir Park. 😁

In fairness I think that tackle with Uche ended up doing him a favour. Believe the scans following found an underlying health issue that got resolved, but had him sidelined for around a year iirc.

Go for it 1308
1 hour ago, cosanostra said:

That's exactly why they were pissed off at him.

default_smugqq (1).png

Wee bit maroon specs I think. If it was the other way around and someone leathered the ball into our net almost hitting the keeper after scoring a pen, and the big defenders took it upon themselves to bounce him about the box we'd not be complaining. 

Not that I'm bothered, but let's no pretend Shankland never sparked it. 

Mister Dee

I’d like to have seen our lads getting into some pushing and shoving with the players that banged into him. 
As much as anything else, it would have run the clock down a bit, as well as given our fans something to get involved with. 

1 hour ago, Deodato said:

I feel it's relevant to discuss the goal that was disallowed for the foul by Miovski on Baningime when we played Aberdeen recently.

Everyone agreed it was harsh and that Miovski was just very unfortunate, but nevertheless his accidental trip which came from a totally natural movement led to Beni being taken out the game and gave Miovski a clearer sight into the box and to score the goal he did.  That wouldn't have happened had he not accidentally tripped Beni and it was rightly disallowed.

I'm not sure the Dundee player could get his hand out the way but even if it's agreed this was a natural movement and the handball is accidental, the Dundee player's hand prevents a strike at goal from reaching the goal, instead dampening the shot and it trickles into the keeper's hands.

It's very unfortunate, like Miovski's clip, but it was the contact between a defending player's hand and the ball, in the box, which changes how a goal scoring opportunity plays out.  I'm as confused as most as to what the actual handball rule is these days, but this scenario just reads like a stonewall penalty, unlucky as it may be on Dundee.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

I think he's joking mate.

47 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

Wee bit maroon specs I think. If it was the other way around and someone leathered the ball into our net almost hitting the keeper after scoring a pen, and the big defenders took it upon themselves to bounce him about the box we'd not be complaining. 

Not that I'm bothered, but let's no pretend Shankland never sparked it. 

Even better tbh, a bit of attitude is no bad thing.

1 hour ago, Berra than you said:

In fairness I think that tackle with Uche ended up doing him a favour. Believe the scans following found an underlying health issue that got resolved, but had him sidelined for around a year iirc.

Carson played Motherwell’s next game. This info I remember myself. Ironically, after Sportscene desperately campaigned for a retrospective red card it was Uche who was out  for a while. According to Wikipedia, it was a month or two later that he found out he had DVT in his shoulder and lungs. 

2 hours ago, Deodato said:

Don't think there was any reason to go to the screen. Ref gave a penalty and var agreed so why would he have looked at it again. They only to the screen when var says they've missed something. 

Ex member of the SaS

I always feel if the ball is heading to the goal and is stopped/deflected, whatever then it's a clear penalty. Had this happened near the byline then maybe not such a stonewaller.

There is no guarantee the keeper would not have saved it but you can never tell ,so if the ball is stopped then the possibility of a goal is denied. 

Ex member of the SaS
19 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Don't think there was any reason to go to the screen. Ref gave a penalty and var agreed so why would he have looked at it again. They only to the screen when var says they've missed something. 

Correct, how can they claim a clear and obvious error when both agree it was a penalty? 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Rampant said:

I feel it's relevant to discuss the goal that was disallowed for the foul by Miovski on Baningime when we played Aberdeen recently.

Everyone agreed it was harsh and that Miovski was just very unfortunate, but nevertheless his accidental trip which came from a totally natural movement led to Beni being taken out the game and gave Miovski a clearer sight into the box and to score the goal he did.  That wouldn't have happened had he not accidentally tripped Beni and it was rightly disallowed.

I'm not sure the Dundee player could get his hand out the way but even if it's agreed this was a natural movement and the handball is accidental, the Dundee player's hand prevents a strike at goal from reaching the goal, instead dampening the shot and it trickles into the keeper's hands.

It's very unfortunate, like Miovski's clip, but it was the contact between a defending player's hand and the ball, in the box, which changes how a goal scoring opportunity plays out.  I'm as confused as most as to what the actual handball rule is these days, but this scenario just reads like a stonewall penalty, unlucky as it may be on Dundee.

This is where the players & managers get their panties in a bunch unnecessarily - or with the intention of stoking it up. 

Having a foul awarded against you is not the ref saying that you're a dirty, cheating bassa. Miovski, for example, gained a massive advantage by completely inadvertently, clipping Beni's heels. That's not a part of the game, so a foul should be given. If Hearts had followed the trip with an advantage, the ref would have allowed play on, probably with nothing said - because it hadn't been dirty play or intentional - but, because it was followed by a goal, the ref had to call the 'foul'. ('Foul' doesn't seem the right word in the circumstances, but that's what it is.)

Likewise with the Dundee defender. He wasn't trying to bat the ball away with his hands. If it had looked like that, there would have been cause for a red card, I believe. He just had his hand where it didn't have ought to have been and was unfortunate that the ball hit it. Had the ball not hit it, it wouldn't have been a foul. Seeing that the ball's original trajectory was towards the goal only supports the call for the penalty and, had they taken it to the screen, that would surely have been a factor. 

1874robbo
4 hours ago, wavydavy said:

The big guy with the body check even has the cheek to make the face like shanks has barged into him.

fraser points the fecker out to the ref but no action taken!! Could have been a red for it imo 

Der Kaiser
4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

"Nearly......"

😁

RustyRightPeg
32 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

The big guy with the body check even has the cheek to make the face like shanks has barged into him.

fraser points the fecker out to the ref but no action taken!! Could have been a red for it imo 

It's never a red card. Ever.

As I said earlier, I'm actually surprised the ref never took action against Shankland for leathering the ball back into the net. 

Ref did well to let it all go in truth.

1874robbo
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

It's never a red card. Ever.

As I said earlier, I'm actually surprised the ref never took action against Shankland for leathering the ball back into the net. 

Ref did well to let it all go in truth.

The guy clearly puts the shoulder into shankland 

if shankland goes down I wouldn’t bet against a red 

Selkirkhmfc1874
4 hours ago, Deodato said:

That's interesting. 

And a great source of football intel - follow the money. 

Stadium announcer said at time their was check for possible Red card

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Glad to see how our skipper gets other teams riled up

Bunny Munro
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

This is where the players & managers get their panties in a bunch unnecessarily - or with the intention of stoking it up. 

Having a foul awarded against you is not the ref saying that you're a dirty, cheating bassa. Miovski, for example, gained a massive advantage by completely inadvertently, clipping Beni's heels. That's not a part of the game, so a foul should be given. If Hearts had followed the trip with an advantage, the ref would have allowed play on, probably with nothing said - because it hadn't been dirty play or intentional - but, because it was followed by a goal, the ref had to call the 'foul'. ('Foul' doesn't seem the right word in the circumstances, but that's what it is.)

Likewise with the Dundee defender. He wasn't trying to bat the ball away with his hands. If it had looked like that, there would have been cause for a red card, I believe. He just had his hand where it didn't have ought to have been and was unfortunate that the ball hit it. Had the ball not hit it, it wouldn't have been a foul. Seeing that the ball's original trajectory was towards the goal only supports the call for the penalty and, had they taken it to the screen, that would surely have been a factor. 

It wouldn't.

It's a clear penalty because it strikes his hand when it's making his body 'unnaturally' bigger and the position of the arm is not justified by the situation. That's the rule.

Goal bound or not only comes in to play when discussing the colour of a potential card.

It also doesn't matter if it's only hit from a short distance, hit with a lot of power, if he can't get his arm out the way, and if he's not looking at the ball.

Edited by Bunny Munro

Lone Striker

Anyone else only open this thread because of the title ?  

th?id=OIP.nIzQ1V4xiMUy9j2PWEg80gHaE7&pid=Api&P=0&h=180

feedthefox

The guy doing the commentary in the Hearts highlights (Sportscene) was very good, seems to call it perfectly as in only talks up the bits which are genuinely worthy and has an entertaining manner he should get more and better gigs.

Busby2Gibson
6 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Totally agree. 

He was out dragging his studs over the penalty spot ahead of Shankland’s penalty against them at Tynecastle. 

Still didn’t make it as bad as that bald midden up at Dens. 

2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Stadium announcer said at time their was check for possible Red card

Separate incident. It was for serious foul play in the middle of the park towards the end of the first half. Can’t recall who was involved but think it was on Grant. 

Jamstomorrow
6 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

They were queuing up to get a wee nudge from the leagues top goalscorer

Hoping some of Shanks's skill might rub off on them?

thegreatsd

Great seeing all those greeting faced insignificants bouncing off our glorious goal machine. It was pretty funny the way he nonchalantly ran through them all. The lads a legend in the making. 

PortyBeach
5 hours ago, Rampant said:

Good, balanced, appraisal of what seems an ongoing confusing situation for players, fans, and officials…

maltese jambo

Shankland shouldn't have smashed the ball after scoring. Totally unnecessary and I'm not surprised the Dundee players reacted.

Nothing wrong with shanks getting it up them and nothing wrong with their reactions, total non-event

The Old Tolbooth

I reckon Shanks done it because he was feeling frustrated at missing his last 3 pens, and when he finally scored one (which was very nearly saved), he followed it up and smashed it into the net again out of sheer relief at ending the frustration, I genuinely don’t think he meant anything against Dundee, but I’d absolutely love it if he did! 

:Shanks: