Barry John RIP

John Findlay

John Findlay

One of the best Fly Halfs to play the game of Rugby Union in lifetime.

RIP Barry and thanks for the great memories as a young schoolboy growing up here in Edinburgh.

periodictabledancer

My school boy hero. I used to have a rare colour pic from the Express (when it was a decent paper) on my bedroom wall. Him and JPR both gone. 

Two absolute giants of the game. 

I P Knightley
33 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

One of the best Fly Halfs to play the game of Rugby Union in lifetime.

RIP Barry and thanks for the great memories as a young schoolboy growing up here in Edinburgh.

Having just lost JPR, Welsh rugby is not having a great time of it. I never got to see him play as he retired a couple of years before I went to my first international but his name was legendary, with 'only' 25 caps!

Before the match yesterday, when the players were lined up, they went through a roster of old Welsh caps who had passed away, presumably since whenever they last played there. There were 3 or 4 on the screen (old black & white photos) before they got to JPR. The applause for him was massive.

I expect that at their next match the applause for Barry John will be at least as warm.

I P Knightley
47 minutes ago, Pap said:

Can everyone stop dying 😌

Piers Morgan is still with us. 

Bairnjambo

The documentary about the Lions tour of New Zealand in the early 70's narrated by Eddie Butler is brilliant.

It focusses a lot on Barry John and the major part he played in securing victory in the series.

Whenever anyone spoke about Barry John, it is done in reverential tone.

I believe he retired early from international rugby unable to balance the demands of the games and his day job.

After watching the programme seemed like he was rugby's version of Lionel Messi.

CF11JamTart

Lived round the corner from me. Lovely old chap. Always had a friendly word for the daughter.

Was always an absolute gent to us. 

Dawnrazor

I'd love to have seen of the players from that era, makes you wonder how they'd have faired in today's professional era if they had the modern training and nutrition.

been here before
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Piers Morgan is still with us. 

And Lulu.

Shane MacGowan dies yet Lulu still walks among us.

How the **** is that even close to being remotely fair?

Glamorgan Jambo

A very sad day for Welsh rugby.

its difficult to communicate how popular and high profile he was at his peak. And of course if he’d accepted a single endorsement he would have been chucked out of the game immediately.

Which is part of the reason he retired so young. He had a whole line of products he pushed and he put his name to newspaper articles for decades after.

He could kick a drop goal from distance at a time when both a drop goal and try were worth 3 points. That got Wales and the Lions over the line a few times.