Shankland and Germany

HeartsandonlyHearts

HeartsandonlyHearts

Assuming he continues as is, there should be absolutely no chance of him not being in the Scotland squad. 
78 games and 49 goals is amazing at any level.

jimmy the jambo

It’s going to be great in Munich with all these german fans and some others asking about shankland 😂 I’m not sure how I’ll feel if he does really well in the tournament, The £3/£4 million price tag might just double.

Just now, jimmy the jambo said:

It’s going to be great in Munich with all these german fans and some others asking about shankland 😂 I’m not sure how I’ll feel if he does really well in the tournament, The £3/£4 million price tag might just double.

That’s where I’m at. Think he could have loads of teams after him - and whilst I’d love to keep him, seeing him sign for a big European club (include ingerland in that one), for a big fee, I’d take it. Might make the huns realise they are actually small fry when it comes to football 

Just now, indianajones said:

He'll be going if fit. 

Clarkes not that stupid. 

Just whether or not he actually uses him instead of just relying on Dykes and Adams. He was far too loyal to Marshall and that cost us. 

I don't expect to see Shankland start, but if we're needing a goal surely, SURELY he is the man to turn to instead of ****ing Che Adams.. 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Just whether or not he actually uses him instead of just relying on Dykes and Adams. He was far too loyal to Marshall and that cost us. 

I don't expect to see Shankland start, but if we're needing a goal surely, SURELY he is the man to turn to instead of ****ing Che Adams.. 

or that other headless chicken that got the nod over shanks, did fark all but still got most of the game......and shanks didn't even get on!

section s heart

Hope Clarke has Shanks above Jacob Brown. Played him from the start in the Norway game iirc and he did nothing. 

avhudtheteeshirt

Not to late for Shankland to move to one of the Uglies at the end of the season and be an automatic choice for Germany!

3 minutes ago, Gav M said:

or that other headless chicken that got the nod over shanks, did fark all but still got most of the game......and shanks didn't even get on!

Jacob Brown?

Yeah, absolutely gash. 

Shankland absolutely deserves the opportunity to go to germany and be viewed as a serious option. 

TBH If I was Clark, I'd be taking Dykes, Shankland, Hardie & Adams.

Has to be Shanks, Dykes, Adams and the young Bristol City striker who's name escapes me.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He'll be going. Clarke needs him.

But won't use him.

vegas-voss
30 minutes ago, indianajones said:

He'll be going if fit. 

Clarkes not that stupid. 

Exactly even if he ain't a starter he is obvious choice to come off the bench to get a goal it's a total no brainer that he goes 

skinnybob72
6 minutes ago, Homme said:

Has to be Shanks, Dykes, Adams and the young Bristol City striker who's name escapes me.

Conway?

LarrysRightFoot
18 minutes ago, Homme said:

Has to be Shanks, Dykes, Adams and the young Bristol City striker whose name escapes me.

Ryan Hardie probably deserves a call up for the friendlies as well 

1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Assuming he continues as is, there should be absolutely no chance of him not being in the Scotland squad. 
78 games and 49 goals is amazing at any level.

He will be in the squad but won’t start. Clarke likes a big lump up front to hold the ball up or a speed merchant to run the channels. Shanks will get brought on late when we need a goal.

There isn’t a better finisher in that squad than shanks. 
He may not have the pace to play the role up top on his own but he is absolutely guaranteed to be in the squad now. 

brawlad74

Sure he will go. Being played is another matter. What's he had as a Hearts goal machine? 3 late subs appearances or something?

4marsbars
1 hour ago, indianajones said:

He'll be going if fit. 

Clarkes not that stupid. 

Clarke 'stupid'? 

john thomas
9 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Clarke 'stupid'? 

Also , apparently, a clown 

ScottieMac17

He should be one of the first names on the Scotland team sheet... But unfortunately for us, until he plays for the uglies he will not get a chance to start. 

indianajones
14 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Clarke 'stupid'? 

Plenty examples of questionable choices made by Clarke. 

One of the worst was going for that huddy Marshall over Gordon. Criminal. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Put him in the box, give him supply and Lawrence will score. He will score against Germany if starting the game, i firmly believe that. We will be under the cosh the whole game and go up there, 1 chance, falls to Lawrence and it will be in the back of the net 100%.

Benny Klack

He’ll go but will be an unused sub as we go straight out in the group stages.

Clarke doesn’t like him for some reason. 

Weebroon98

He'll be in the squad but won't start any games as clark will stick with his usual starters. 

Dallas Green
1 hour ago, john thomas said:

Also , apparently, a clown 

He has previous.

Picking Marshall over Gordon a major one.

Diadora Van Basten

Shankland should be the first name on the team sheet but Clarke has snubbed him quite a few times now.

saxondale
2 hours ago, mr fox said:

There isn’t a better finisher in that squad than shanks. 
He may not have the pace to play the role up top on his own but he is absolutely guaranteed to be in the squad now. 

Why would lack of pace affect his ability to play up front on his own?

This is a theory that is repeated constantly on this forum and other media outlets, and I just don’t get it.

There have been countless players that are known to not be very pacy that have managed to succeed leading the line.

Firminho

Muller

Weghorst

Giroud

Kramaric

Mitrovic

Our very own Lyndon Dykes

These players manage absolutely fine across different formations, so why would Shanks struggle?

We’ve seen him week in week out hold the ball up well, drop deep and pick up the ball on wings if necessary. He can do it all because he’s a strong and clever footballer that can make it work without pace (like some of the above examples have done as well).

Additionally, international football is never as fast paced as league football - so another reason why he’d be fine for Scotland.

waterboy11

If McBurnie or Brown score a couple goals between now and the ned of the season Clarke will pick them, along with Adams and Dykes. 

He’ll go but be on the bench, probably get his chance in the 3rd group game when it’ll be too late. 

Polonia Gorgie

Wouldn't be so surprised if Clarke snubbed him for Brown or Nisbett, Dykes and Adams are a penalty kick 

Jack Torrance

Good chat on Off the Ball today about it. All in agreement he should be there and Tam Cowan saying he's the first on the plane and they should work backwards from him to decide who plays alongside him.

On current form he has to go to Germany. But Clarke has got a lot right and I don't think he'd start him. Obvs we see it with maroon eyes but Clarke won't change his ways and he's been right more than wrong during his time as boss.

But for me, if we're chasing a goal and it's 20 mins to go it's a no brainer to get Shanks on the pitch.

He could turn out to be the hero for Scotland.

Toto Schillaci style in Italia 90!!

HeartsandonlyHearts
16 minutes ago, zeke1874 said:

On current form he has to go to Germany. But Clarke has got a lot right and I don't think he'd start him. Obvs we see it with maroon eyes but Clarke won't change his ways and he's been right more than wrong during his time as boss.

But for me, if we're chasing a goal and it's 20 mins to go it's a no brainer to get Shanks on the pitch.

He could turn out to be the hero for Scotland.

Toto Schillaci style in Italia 90!!

There are certain things that all fans see through the color tinted glasses of their own team. Shankland could go the rest of the season without scoring a goal and that would be an honest reason for him not going. But if he continues in this vein of form there’s no way he’s going to be overtaken by any of the forwards we carry now as the inform forward. It’s an interesting conundrum for Clark. Stay with the cold forwards we carry now or do what’s right and play the hot hand. I fear the worst. 

jamie1874

1990 John Robertson was top scorer. 
He was not taken to Italia 90.

We were the only country in the WC that year who did not take their leagues top scorer.

So, until shankland is named I have no faith that he will definitely be in the squad.

Dykes is in the team because he is meant to hold the ball up and get others involved. Yesterdays winner was the perfect example that not only can Shankland do that, he then can score.

Up coming friendly games v Holland and Northern Ireland should see Shankland start and Lewis Ferguson. 
However, not certain that will be the case. 

Hearts_fan

Playing in Germany could ultimately ruin sevco’s chances of getting Shankland, should big clubs be alerted to his availability.

I wonder how that little predicament is playing out in the small minds at the GFA.

Edited by Hearts_fan

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, jamie1874 said:

1990 John Robertson was top scorer. 
He was not taken to Italia 90.

We were the only country in the WC that year who did not take their leagues top scorer.

So, until shankland is named I have no faith that he will definitely be in the squad.

Dykes is in the team because he is meant to hold the ball up and get others involved. Yesterdays winner was the perfect example that not only can Shankland do that, he then can score.

Up coming friendly games v Holland and Northern Ireland should see Shankland start and Lewis Ferguson. 
However, not certain that will be the case. 

Amazing really to think back that Robbo wasn’t in the WC squads for either 86 or 90. Jock Stein considered him the best natural finisher but didn’t cap him. Fergie didn’t take him to Mexico and Roxburgh didn’t take him to Italy.

For whatever reason I don’t think Clarke rates/trusts Shanks. Unbelievable when you consider what our other options are.

Strattiesroll

Not sure Clarke has created a system for strikers to thrive. Seems that all the space and threat comes from McGinn and McTominay arriving late. Still think Shankland is our most dangerous option.

7 hours ago, DG_HMFC said:

But won't use him.

This. Until it's too late.

jager man
56 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Amazing really to think back that Robbo wasn’t in the WC squads for either 86 or 90. Jock Stein considered him the best natural finisher but didn’t cap him. Fergie didn’t take him to Mexico and Roxburgh didn’t take him to Italy.

For whatever reason I don’t think Clarke rates/trusts Shanks. Unbelievable when you consider what our other options are.

He was phenomenal around that time but Scotland was blessed with some quality strikers. 

jager man
58 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

But Shanks will be in the squad.

Rocky jamboa

I can see Clarke being loyal to Dykes, which is understandable. However, Shanks is something Scotland have been crying out for for years - a natural goal scorer. 

He should definitely be in the squad and should get definitely get at worst get the last 30 mins of the 3 games.

Tynecastle Valhalla

I have a bad feeling that Clarke will take three strikers with him:

dykes

adams

christie

shanks not going does rule out him getting injured but it’s good for hearts to have their captain in the squad at least