Title challenging form

kingantti1874

kingantti1874

Just discovered that transfer market has a feature where you can go back a certain number of game weeks. 

we undoubtedly started the season a bit form but our form since the start of the second round of fixtures has been incredible.  Genuine title challenging form.

when you consider the games we’ve dropped points in, ibrox 2 in injury time - dodgy pen. RC at home draw - absolutely robbed by a red and non pen. We have to get shanks tied down and go and find another to play beside him in the summer.  

IMG_7175.jpeg

AC Mallin_51

If we hadn’t started the season so poorly we’d genuinely be up there challenging. 5 points dropped at home to killie and Motherwell straight away along with 2 shocker performances away to Dundee & St Mirren. Ibrox aswell could’ve seen a 6 point swing on rangers. All ifs though, we’re putting that right now, we’re getting the results. To be more or less as close to the top as we are to 4th is fantastic stuff, I want us closing the gap on rangers and Celtic and not worrying about what’s behind us 

Wee Mikey

Well, I've got a memory like a seive and that stat has somehow silently crept up on me.

What's more, 2 of the 3 losses were v The Rangers (no excuses), but you know what I mean) with the other being away to A'deen - a match we went into the 2nd half of in pole position only to blow it.

Who would've thought it? 11 points dropped out of 45 and I'm 'moaning' about at least 3 of them.

Literally twice as many points gained than that club who claimed Edinburgh as being their city ... no complaints there! Lol.

Edited by Wee Mikey

29 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Well, I've got a memory like a seive and that stat has somehow silently crept up on me.

What's more, 2 of the 3 losses were v The Rangers (no excuses), but you know what I mean) with the other being away to A'deen - a match we went into the 2nd half of in pole position only to blow it.

Who would've thought it? 11 points dropped out of 45 and I'm 'moaning' about at least 3 of them.

Literally twice as many points gained than that club who claimed Edinburgh as being their city ... no complaints there! Lol.

Add in 2 points dropped against Hibs at home when we was 2-0 up 

The games that irk me are the home games against Motherwell, Killie, County and Hibs. We really should be winning them, there's a 9 points difference straight off the bat. And then Ibrox, not only an extra 3 points for us, but 3 less for them. We would be right in amongst it. Can you imagine the media pressure on Shankland if we were in that position. Take the last 5 weeks and multiply it by 100. 

Sometimes you need a defeat to cement a different mindset. Dons away defeat did that for me - since then, the players mentality has toughened. Play sometimes garbage but that’s on the improve list! 

Bongo 1874
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Just discovered that transfer market has a feature where you can go back a certain number of game weeks. 

we undoubtedly started the season a bit form but our form since the start of the second round of fixtures has been incredible.  Genuine title challenging form.

when you consider the games we’ve dropped points in, ibrox 2 in injury time - dodgy pen. RC at home draw - absolutely robbed by a red and non pen. We have to get shanks tied down and go and find another to play beside him in the summer.  

IMG_7175.jpeg

Just missing that one Midfielder i keep banging on about 🤣😂,but yeah it's possible.

2 hours ago, Herbert. said:

St Jonstone are doing well on that table, They could make things intresting for the scum.

Not surprised to see Levein and Kirk doing well. 

I dare say how things ended at Hearts was a cause of some self reflection for Levein - what he did well/didn't do well and how to avoid that in the future. 

Japan Jambo
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

IMG_7175.jpeg

love the ambition but step one is consistently achieving third year after year.

Let's concentrate on catching Rangers and leave the rest to drop points to each other and the gap will be even bigger between 3rd and 4th.

brawlad74

We're looking really consistent results wise now and management and players deserve credit. Our start was annoying but we're bound to have dips over season whereas uglies can grind out results with better squads and pals in black. Our target must be to consolidate 3rd year on year then chip away at uglies. Cup runs are crucial to us and we should go all out in these games even v Sevco! Shaping up for great season tho. 

It’s all good and well talking about the points we have thrown away, but we have won quite a few games right at the death as well. If those had ended draws it changes things. 

It’s all fine margins, and if we had stayed 0-0 at Easter Road instead of Shanks winner, or 2 late winners agains Dundee.

Just have to be happy with how we’re doing. The thing I am amazed the most by, is we aren’t playing that well for certain periods but are grinding out wins. That’s exactly what the ugly twins do. 

We will know more next season if we can do the same thing. For me it’s the away form has been so much better. Not even the performances all the time, but Naismith goes on about mentality and they seem to be mentally stronger especially when going behind. Before you just knew we were losing those games

ToadKiller Dog

Let's just secure 3rd first ,keep winning and see where we are  .

The goal difference shows we ain't at that point to challenge the uglies, results for us are tight in many games and some could have went the other way .

Also the orcs were given a big hand from the refs when Clements came in allowing them back into the title race and the Clements side to build form .

They would step in again to help if needed ,Celtic look off the boil just now ,but that is likely not to last I would imagine .

sirwalter
4 hours ago, Herbert. said:

St Jonstone are doing well on that table, They could make things intresting for the scum.

Just try telling Michael Stewart that...

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Let's concentrate on catching Rangers and leave the rest to drop points to each other and the gap will be even bigger between 3rd and 4th.

I'd say for now at least, let's just concentrate on winning the next game, then whether we manage that or not, concentrate on winning the following game, and so on.  Maybe if we can keep things going and then get off to a better start next season, we can then start to think a bit about the teams currently above us.  For now, just keep things going and get 3rd wrapped up!

BervieJambo

What it shows, which augers well for the future, is that Naismith and the team are learning. We look like a team who aren’t going to give up and are much more likely to get the late goal rather than surrender it, like we did earlier in the season. Keep this going and we will get closer to the arse cheeks.

buzzbomb1958
4 hours ago, EH11 2NL said:

The games that irk me are the home games against Motherwell, Killie, County and Hibs. We really should be winning them, there's a 9 points difference straight off the bat. And then Ibrox, not only an extra 3 points for us, but 3 less for them. We would be right in amongst it. Can you imagine the media pressure on Shankland if we were in that position. Take the last 5 weeks and multiply it by 100. 

We need a better quality of player to make any inroads to the stupid dropped points ,we have done ok this window but there are still players who should not be anywhere near a starting place for us, to be a decent team that runs games we need a solid attacking midfield and I’m afraid Benni and Grant are not that  , the Japanese experiment has failed miserably as has the Aussie influx, whether we need to get rid of Savage being the answer maybe as IMO his recruitment has bee a bit meh 

davie1980
36 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

We need a better quality of player to make any inroads to the stupid dropped points ,we have done ok this window but there are still players who should not be anywhere near a starting place for us, to be a decent team that runs games we need a solid attacking midfield and I’m afraid Benni and Grant are not that  , the Japanese experiment has failed miserably as has the Aussie influx, whether we need to get rid of Savage being the answer maybe as IMO his recruitment has bee a bit meh 

I would hardly say Devlin, Atkinson, Neuenhoff and Rowles could be classified as "failing miserably"

Far from it.

davie1980

Worth reiterating I think.

Form is exactly that.

Judge the season so far over the 24 games

You challenge for titles over 38. Judge the season over that term.

I'm delight with the form, but that's all it is. A good 3rd place team on a great run of results that won't be reflected in the whole season and won't be carried over next year without strengthening both the starting 11 and the squad IMO.

Kind of levels we need to fight for to become the norm.  A massive task, obviously, but it’s been a very satisfying period.  

Bazzas right boot

We're looking good for 3rd, that will have made it 3rd, 4th,3rd.

It's a great base to start looking up,  but next season will be all about 3rd again.

Imo, What this does show that in a bigger league where we played each other only twice it could be closer.

Just hope that the agitators don't start their shite about the next level and use it as a stick to beat Naismith with if it doesn't materialise. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I'd say for now at least, let's just concentrate on winning the next game, then whether we manage that or not, concentrate on winning the following game, and so on.  Maybe if we can keep things going and then get off to a better start next season, we can then start to think a bit about the teams currently above us.  For now, just keep things going and get 3rd wrapped up!

Sounds good to me.  HHGH. 

buzzbomb1958
1 hour ago, davie1980 said:

I would hardly say Devlin, Atkinson, Neuenhoff and Rowles could be classified as "failing miserably"

Far from it.

They really are very average players at best

2 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

In terms of what? The average Hearts player doesn't finish 3rd, or 4th. At the end of the season, Devlin and Atkinson will have 2 3rd place finishes and a 4th, Rowles will have a 4th place and 3rd place finish, Neiwenhoff will have a 3rd place finish (obviously I'm assuming we finish 3rd). Those stats are way ahead of the average Hearts player, take the average SPFL player and they are even better. 

Incredible run. Keep Shanks & Beni, add a couple of class players and we'll be much closer to them. Do the board have ambition though? 

Think it would be interesting to see where we need to improve to turn things up a notch - yes we're winning games, but its fine margins. Where do we need to improve to turn marginal games against relegation fodder into comfortable victories?

For me, at the very least its about decision making in the final 3rd. Too often do the players not called Lawrence Shankland make the wrong call. Yes its amazing watching one player score that volume of goals, but it worries me that when he's having an off game that the others aren't capable of stepping up. At Rangers or Celtic if Dessers or Kyogo isn't having a great game, they can get goals from their wide players and even CCV or Goldson at corners. We need to see improvements in our attacking play and how we approach corners and set pieces. I would be grateful not to see Cochrane or McKay anywhere near either again! Get Grant or Fraser taking them. Maybe even a question for Oda or Forrest if they're up to taking them. 

I'm hopeful in Fraser and Dhanda we'll see this quality in the final 3rd be turned up a notch. I just hope its not too late in the day for Shanklands contract situation. If Shankland extends and we can improve the rest of the team in key areas like out wide and in midfield, then the potential of this team grows massively. 

2 hours ago, sirwalter said:

He's a *****. No one can tell him anything. 

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, indianajones said:

But the momentum is with Hibernian so we may as well just give up. 

Choo choo says Montgomery 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Kind of levels we need to fight for to become the norm.  A massive task, obviously, but it’s been a very satisfying period.  

Well we need to look at strengthening our squad and keeping Shankland.  

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, sirwalter said:

the worst kind of person. Thinks he’s really clever but in reality talks absolute shite, and gets carried away with petty vindictiveness 

If we hadn't have been robbed at ibrox, and won the game, then we would only be 4 points behind 2nd, not 10.

Just shows you that decision cost us massively, looking back.

But the form we're in at the moment is incredible, long may it continue. 

Its all ifs & buts at the end of the day now, but had we;

held on at ibrox

won the derby from 2-0 up

Won at pittodrie from 1-0 up

We’d be 8 points better off & Rangers would be 3 points worse off, putting us ahead of them. We’re very fine margins away from challenging for a champions league place, that’s unthinkable.

Edited by boag1874

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We're looking good for 3rd, that will have made it 3rd, 4th,3rd.

It's a great base to start looking up,  but next season will be all about 3rd again.

Imo, What this does show that in a bigger league where we played each other only twice it could be closer.

Just hope that the agitators don't start their shite about the next level and use it as a stick to beat Naismith with if it doesn't materialise. 

I just want to see a strong post split. It's very likely we will be uncatchable by game 33. Foot must stay on the gas if that's the case, even though we're not catching the other two.

hughesie27
17 minutes ago, rmreido said:

If we hadn't have been robbed at ibrox, and won the game, then we would only be 4 points behind 2nd, not 10.

Just shows you that decision cost us massively, looking back.

But the form we're in at the moment is incredible, long may it continue. 

It was a penalty though.

17 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

It was a penalty 

Would we have got it, if it was in the other box.... not a chance!

As I said previously......ROBBED

hughesie27
Just now, rmreido said:

Would we have got it, if it was in the other box.... not a chance!

As I said previously......ROBBED

I don't know. But it's irrelevant. Do you want refs to stop giving clear penalties to teams?

3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I don't know. But it's irrelevant. Do you want refs to stop giving clear penalties to teams?

You think it was a penalty, I don't...

we'll leave it there.

buzzbomb1958
1 hour ago, EH11 2NL said:

In terms of what? The average Hearts player doesn't finish 3rd, or 4th. At the end of the season, Devlin and Atkinson will have 2 3rd place finishes and a 4th, Rowles will have a 4th place and 3rd place finish, Neiwenhoff will have a 3rd place finish (obviously I'm assuming we finish 3rd). Those stats are way ahead of the average Hearts player, take the average SPFL player and they are even better. 

The only reason we are 3rd is not because we have brilliant players, we have 4 great players the rest are bang average the rest of the league are actually shit but that may change ? Dundee may have a good run in with all the good loans they have brought in , n I am just saying we do not have a great side ewe have a bang average side apart from 4 players 

Ex member of the SaS

On the same form as Celtic over the last 5 games but third is the best we will be ALLOWED to gain. Unless Sevco go under then we have zero chance of getting higher than third.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

The only reason we are 3rd is not because we have brilliant players, we have 4 great players the rest are bang average the rest of the league are actually shit but that may change ? Dundee may have a good run in with all the good loans they have brought in , n I am just saying we do not have a great side ewe have a bang average side apart from 4 players 

Ahh, the " we are only 3rd, because the rest of the league is shit" now being  rolled out.

Is there an official list of shite that the goon squad issue in order to make anything  positive a negative?

1 hour ago, WDJ87 said:

I just want to see a strong post split. It's very likely we will be uncatchable by game 33. Foot must stay on the gas if that's the case, even though we're not catching the other two.

Agree.  There’s much work to do on various things regarding the team but we must rid ourselves of a bad habit we can have by losing the appetite to keep going even when we’ve more or less got the job done (capturing 3rd).

It doesn’t matter the era, it just seems to happen, even under JJ in 2010-11.

People will say you are fighting human nature that when the job is done you naturally deflate but it’s something we need to work at as part of trying to go to new levels.  

spirt of 98
10 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

If we hadn’t started the season so poorly we’d genuinely be up there challenging. 5 points dropped at home to killie and Motherwell straight away along with 2 shocker performances away to Dundee & St Mirren. Ibrox aswell could’ve seen a 6 point swing on rangers. All ifs though, we’re putting that right now, we’re getting the results. To be more or less as close to the top as we are to 4th is fantastic stuff, I want us closing the gap on rangers and Celtic and not worrying about what’s behind us 

Imagine we had a Bednar moment and we scored against the old firm to win the game against both the uglies and the challenge suddenly became real. Not going to happen this year but we can dream. 

Never forget that run under Burley. I just kept thinking we would slip up. Then we were unbeaten when Rangers rolled into town. Bednar scored and suddenly I was dreaming of winning the league. Those were the greatest days of being a Hearts supporter. Even Better than the 85/86 season. I supposed due to the fact we won a trophy. 

davie1980
2 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Which is a long way from failing miserably, in my book.

Loic Damour and Joel Pereira are failing miserably.

There's not one of the Aussies I'm in a rush to purge from the club and are all decent squad players at worst.