Councillor Scott Arthur

doddsyJR9

Howdy Doody Jambo
55 minutes ago, ejbh said:

The number one reason for busses being delayed is congestion caused by too many cars. This is according to the managing director of lothian buses.

Maybe less people drove everywhere, busses would be quicker and more reliable?

It's only during rush hour's that there is a congestion issue and that goes for every city globally  Princes Street is full of half empty buses during rush hour's as the tram gets right of way causing traffic to wait extra time on a green light , no wonder they are all delayed sitting nose to tail 

The problem with Edinburgh is that lots of  road space has been reduced, more single lanes, more chevron areas wider pavements,roadworks on every other street it's an industry in Edinburgh now ,temporary traffic lights, traffic cones, bollards and unsynchronized traffic lights that disrupt the flow, blocked streets with plant pots but the road surfaces and pavements are a disgrace and dangerous, potholes galore 

Nothing is geared to helping traffic move in sequence, if the council engaged with vehicles things could easily improve Edinburgh has the worst congestion in the UK and it's a village compared to London and Birmingham

If the council could end their war on car's it would benefit everybody in general

Car's are a safer option of travel for night time and early morning journeys and for people/ women maybe living in remote and dodgy areas it's safer

Choice and freedoms are constantly being invaded by the council's it's all control , making money and tax revenue from authorities 

Edited by Howdy Doody Jambo

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• il Duce McTarkin

• FWJ

• Jamboross

Top Posters In This Topic

Byyy The Light
54 minutes ago, ejbh said:

The number one reason for busses being delayed is congestion caused by too many cars. This is according to the managing director of lothian buses.

Maybe less people drove everywhere, busses would be quicker and more reliable?

No there was multiple sets of temporary lights on every main route in to the city.

It takes minimum 90 mins to get from my side of town to Leith. If I go the bypass via Portobello it takes 30 mins.

Why would I choose to lose 2 hours out of my day if I don’t have to? 

3 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

No there was multiple sets of temporary lights on every main route in to the city.

It takes minimum 90 mins to get from my side of town to Leith. If I go the bypass via Portobello it takes 30 mins.

Why would I choose to lose 2 hours out of my day if I don’t have to? 

But with fewer cars the bus does not get delayed for nearly as long by those temporary traffic lights.

with fewer cars every bus journey is quicker. 

Maybe we all have to do our bit (if we are able to) to help the collective situation?

Byyy The Light
1 minute ago, ejbh said:

But with fewer cars the bus does not get delayed for nearly as long by those temporary traffic lights.

with fewer cars every bus journey is quicker. 

Maybe we all have to do our bit (if we are able to) to help the collective situation?

I take the bus whenever it’s practical to do so. Unless it’s a straight route in to city centre buses just don’t cut it. 

skinnybob72
29 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

It's a steep hill for old folk to get up and down. 

It's not like they're in a rush to get anywhere and it gives them something to moan about.

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, skinnybob72 said:

It's not like they're in a rush to get anywhere and it gives them something to moan about.

Fair point.

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, skinnybob72 said:

:interehjrling:

Maybe a few of them will croak it with the extra exertion. Less strain on the pension pot, and a few less blue-rinsed, racist Tories never hurt anyone.

skinnybob72
2 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

:interehjrling:

Maybe a few of them will croak it with the extra exertion. Less strain on the pension pot, and a few less blue-rinsed, racist Tories never hurt anyone.

Every cloud...

Toxteth O'Grady
25 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

East lothian is served by a bus service. The 'X' 7 takes 70 minutes to meander into town on a really good day from Dunbar. 

Trains are more miss than hit and you're royally fecked if you're a shift worker. 

Saturday night the last train to Dunbar is 10pm or its 70 bladder busting minutes on the chav chariot and I've not got that anymore. ☹️

Cars still need to transit the city even if that means avoiding the city centre.

Begg, Lazarowicz and now this boy need to realise that. 

Correct - they don’t even attempt to make public transport decent. They can’t blame journey times on cars at 10pm. 

Jim_Duncan
5 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Is that where Comiston Springs Avenue crosses Pentland Terrace onto Riselaw Crescent?  That one always struck me as doing something for the sake of doing something. It was easy enough to cross CSA as a pedestrian if you just walked down the hill a wee bit, and the sweep of the junction was such that motorists and pedestrians had plenty of time to see each other. 

As an aside, Comiston Springs Avenue and the adjoining Pentland Crescent are where I would've choosen to live had I not been an itinerant, jakey, waster my whole life, and the house prices hadn't increased exponentially the past couple of decades.

That’s the one. Hilariously planned junction. 

Nice houses. My family live around the corner. 

“I can’t drive my car into the centre of town and park wherever I like anymore.”

Boohoo. 

Byyy The Light
21 minutes ago, Bender said:

“I can’t drive my car into the centre of town and park wherever I like anymore.”

Boohoo. 

Take it your aren’t a tradesman?

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

Should be exemptions for tradesmen, imo. I mind playing cat-and-mouse with the parking attendants throught the town for years. Dunno how a man was expected to cart two meter sandstone lintols on the bus, never mind tools and generators, etc.

Like everything, some were understanding and would work with you, some were jobsworth phannies.

il Duce McTarkin
26 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

That’s the one. Hilariously planned junction. 

Nice houses. My family live around the corner. 

Family got anything worth burgling?

Dawnrazor
11 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Just some shit Lintols some cowboy put in, didn't fit s they're lying in the front green.

21 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Do tradesmen tend to drive their cars to jobs?

Byyy The Light
14 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Should be exemptions for tradesmen, imo. I mind playing cat-and-mouse with the parking attendants throught the town for years. Dunno how a man was expected to cart two meter sandstone lintols on the bus, never mind tools and generators, etc.

Like everything, some were understanding and would work with you, some were jobsworth phannies.

Same goes for 5m widths of carpet and boxes of gripper.

Unfortunately parking tickets and mental parking charges have to go on the customers tab these days. Everyone loses.

Happily pay a tradesmen’s permit if it was £100 a year or so. 

Dawnrazor
4 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Happily pay a tradesmen’s permit if it was £100 a year or so. 

You'd think any council would think that's a good idea?

Byyy The Light
9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You'd think any council would think that's a good idea?

And give up all the fine money they make on a daily basis?

Dawnrazor
6 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

And give up all the fine money they make on a daily basis?

Aye but it seems a sensible option, for the public at least, no?

Jim_Duncan
45 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Just Catholic icons and a bunch of menorahs. 

Dawnrazor
Just now, Jim_Duncan said:

He's got a house full of stuff like that, the Detectives call them "trophies".

Byyy The Light
8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Aye but it seems a sensible option, for the public at least, no?

It does but it will never happen. Even £20 a month or something would work. 

Dawnrazor
Just now, Byyy The Light said:

It does but it will never happen. Even £20 a month or something would work. 

It would, it's the sort of thing councils should be made to implement, somehow 🤷

doddsyJR9

Wouldn't a reduction in buses, be much more fruitful? Cars get to places much more quickly, and more economically? There's so much to be said about transport, with the restrictions being placed on citizens travelling around lawfully. Its a liberty that we the people have allowed ourselves to be placed into a situation, in which, the council is able to block roads, and stop the people from accessing being able to transport themselves around the city in a frugal manner. We should be free to choose.

Dawnrazor

Wouldn't smaller buses be useful? Take up less room, more economic and how many time do you see a bus with about 5 folk in it?

il Duce McTarkin
18 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Is the house mde of timber, and do they keep a spare jerrycan of petrol in the garage?

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

Byyy The Light
14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It would, it's the sort of thing councils should be made to implement, somehow 🤷

Would be easy to implement. Add it as an option to the Ringo app and input your vans registration.

No appetite to make it happen.

Jim_Duncan
6 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Is the house mde of timber, and do they keep a spare jerrycan of petrol in the garage?

House is made out of the bones of those who asked questions about the garage. 

doddsyJR9
10 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Wouldn't smaller buses be useful? Take up less room, more economic and how many time do you see a bus with about 5 folk in it?

What about smaller councils? less Scott Arthur's, a lot less salaries, less restrictions placed on the people, less hassle from those who only ever seem to seek to enrage us, with their hate the people ethos. Job done.

Jim_Duncan
1 minute ago, doddsyJR9 said:

What about smaller councils? less Scott Arthur's, a lot less salaries, less restrictions placed on the people, less hassle from those who only ever seem to seek to enrage us, with their hate the people ethos. Job done.

Now we’re singing from the same hymn sheet. 

il Duce McTarkin

House is made out of the bones of those who asked questions about the garage. 

:sadrobbo:

Sound like my kind of folk, tbh.

They can pop round for refreshments on my extensive patio.

doddsyJR9

Now we’re singing from the same hymn sheet. 

Glad to hear it Jim. You know it makes sense.

Dawnrazor
5 minutes ago, doddsyJR9 said:

I'd agree with that!

doddsyJR9
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

I'd agree with that!

Thank the good lord, that there are some on here that think the same. Politicians seem to think they have a right to award themselves ever higher salaries, and at the same time make life harder for the ordinary people. Less politicians, easier life for us. Thanks Tony.

When urr they gonna sort out thon Sherrifhall Roondaboot?

Eh?

Eh?

Jim_Duncan
13 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

We need more of Scott Arthurs’ bones imo

Agreed

il Duce McTarkin
10 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Agreed

As long as you're not bent over at the time.

Fxxx the SPFL
6 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Buses are mobbed nowadays ever since they gave bus passes to kids. I use public transport every day for work and leisure purposes and I’ve been on buses frequently that pass stops that folk including pensioners can’t get on because bus is full. Some kids get on for just a couple of stops in years to come they’ll wonder why they’re all fat bassas. 
PS I’m not anti kids I have five grandchildren and try and walk with them when we have them up from the borders.

The Mighty Thor
45 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Buses are mobbed nowadays ever since they gave bus passes to kids. I use public transport every day for work and leisure purposes and I’ve been on buses frequently that pass stops that folk including pensioners can’t get on because bus is full. Some kids get on for just a couple of stops in years to come they’ll wonder why they’re all fat bassas. 
PS I’m not anti kids I have five grandchildren and try and walk with them when we have them up from the borders.

Their weight will be a secondary health issue to popcorn lungs.

Every cloud and that 👍

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Their weight will be a secondary health issue to popcorn lungs.

Every cloud and that 👍

Ha ha 

Scott Arthur and the rest of the council can be proud, Edinburgh has come 2nd in the whole of the UK for the prestigious award of being the city with the most potholes (8.2 unfixed potholes per 1000 residents, so roughly just over 4500 unfixed potholes in Edinburgh), will only be disappointed as it was Glasgow they lost out on for top spot!

Folk wanting to remove bus stops to encourage more folk to take public transport :laugh:

Let's remove some of the train stations too. Could redevelop those as big car parks right?

The problem really is lazy ****s who sit on their arse to get from A to B, even if it's just down the road to the supermarket. Especially in big massive SUVs in a busy city centre :laugh2:

I am all for making the car less convenient, rather than more convenient. Otherwise where will we end up? Gridlock everywhere because everyone uses a car. Simpletons can't understand the correlation between road traffic and bus services.

Stuart Lyon

When all cars meet the emission standards for LEZs what happens? I'll bet the CeC will reduce the acceptable emission standard so they can continue to justify the continuation of the LEZs.

Hotel expansion in central Edinburgh; how do the guests get to the hotels? Do any of them provide onsite parking? The hotel at the west end of Queen St has led to the lane outside being blocked by cabs and private hires thereby causing problems.

I don't use my car to visit the city centre but do use the through routes currently available i.e. North Bridge, the Mound and Lothian Rd. By their own admission closing the NB and Mound routes to cars will add 40% more traffic on Lothian Rd with the attendant congestion and added pollution. Where's the benefit in that?

I think that to some extent the indecent haste to block vehicles is so that the CeC can claim to be first or near first to further these ideas. 

Jamboross
52 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Hotel expansion in central Edinburgh; how do the guests get to the hotels? Do any of them provide onsite parking? The hotel at the west end of Queen St has led to the lane outside being blocked by cabs and private hires thereby causing problems.

I would wager that the vast majority of people staying in City Centre hotels have arrived into Edinburgh on a train, plane or even bus and therefore don't have much need for any onsite parking but it is provided by a lot of the more expensive hotels though - Sheraton, Kimpton, Caley, Balmoral, W, Radisson Blu etc all offer it and there's not a shortage of (albeit pricey) car parking in the city centre for those staying at hotels that don't.

There's also more budget friendly hotels on the periphery who offer plentiful parking - Kings Manor, Lady Nairne, Holiday Inn at Corstorphine - without the need for taking a car into the city centre and all within a short bus ride of Princes St. Those that desperately need to drive here for whatever reason can do so relatively easily. 

1 hour ago, Jamboross said:

I would wager that the vast majority of people staying in City Centre hotels have arrived into Edinburgh on a train, plane or even bus and therefore don't have much need for any onsite parking but it is provided by a lot of the more expensive hotels though - Sheraton, Kimpton, Caley, Balmoral, W, Radisson Blu etc all offer it and there's not a shortage of (albeit pricey) car parking in the city centre for those staying at hotels that don't.

There's also more budget friendly hotels on the periphery who offer plentiful parking - Kings Manor, Lady Nairne, Holiday Inn at Corstorphine - without the need for taking a car into the city centre and all within a short bus ride of Princes St. Those that desperately need to drive here for whatever reason can do so relatively easily. 

:spoton:

Folk don't come to Edinburgh for a driving holiday. Well maybe Frank does.

He's a fecking lapdug,woof woof. Some of the language from him is all so familiar, "non-essential journeys, opening up, moral duty." 

The city centre has been going downhill for years as already mentioned,  pop up camp sites on George Street on my last visit were good to see though, definitely better for the environment and owners getting in touch with nature. More city campsites required imo.

stevie1874
17 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Scott Arthur is a useless idiot. Messing up the roads for cars and busses doesn’t help anyone. 

There are major roadworks on Gorgie Road and Slateford Road at the same time - not clever

Agree the roads are a mess but cycle lanes pristine with road closures everywhere. He seems to be able to force through whatever he wants with little opposition. Permits for parking around Gorgie & Shandon Mon-Fri which will be increased to weekends shortly so buses to the game it will need to be which if you have to get the no 4 bus takes an eternity on match days. 

il Duce McTarkin

The roads/transport carry on is certainly devisive, but where do folk stand on these new 'bin hubs' that are to take away parki g spaces and are springing up or are planned to spring up all over the city?

From what I've seen of those already in place they become a bit of a dumping ground for all sorts. The one along from me regularly has abandoned furnature, mattresses, smashed tellys, etc, propped up against the dumpsters. 

**** having a house or flat with one of those directly outside. 

I mind when they first put the big dumpster wheelie bin directly outside my old ground floor flat in Gorgie and I could watch folk dumping all kinds of stuff in the vacinity, and others letting their dugs pish and shite on the pavement by the bin while absently staring in my window. I used to go mental, but the abuse I often got back and threats to tan my windows made it not worth while. Council weren't interested. 

I assume it will be similar with these bin hubs.