Throw-ins

kila

Do our throw-ins need some serious work?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Do our throw-ins need some serious work?

Are our throw-ins generally wasteful and letting us down?

For years, it seems like we lose possession pretty much every time while taking too long. Some are thrown at awkward heights leading to a poor touch. Long throws when we use them have been good though, particularly Cochrane's down the wing or into the box.

Famous 1874

Need to start getting a midfielder to drop in and smash it first time to the opposite in flank.

Cochrane / Dexter often in acres on the other side (if we are playing a 3 at the back). Otherwise get the wingers to provide the width   

Too slow taking them, but also no one is showing for them. 

It shouldn't be that difficult a thing to fix. 

Jamboross

Noticed a couple of times at throw ins today we were trying to pick out Forrest who was loitering completely unmarked in what would normally be an 'offside' position. Cochrane picked him out in the first half and Dexter in the second, nothing came of it either time but thought it was something a bit different than our usual poor efforts. 

Dallas Green

I'd say so although in the second half today they were much better. Especially the throws in behind their defence.

I Throw up when I see the standard of our Throw ins. Basic football skill which seems to be lacking in many professional footballers. ( I realise there are markers but still) 

Wee Mikey

Our throw-ins are boggin'  ...

No ifs, or buts.

How many times do we slow it down, and thus allow teams to regroup?

Today there was one cracker ... a Hearts player made a run ... but we threw backwards.

Never mind ...

.... a win v the 🐏 is  fine by me.

We may very well be 'nicht so gut', but are better than our supposed competitors.

As for Bojan?

Get it right up ye ....

He'll trail Shanks by about 11 goals, methinks.

Decent player, but not a patch on Shanks.

Pans Jambo
1 hour ago, Gorgierools said:

Noticed today after some criticism last week,we were faster today.

I have to be Hearts biggest critic at throw ins & I agree with your post. 

Jambomuzz

I moan about this constantly, I’m generally an optimist when it comes to hearts, but we are absolutely clueless at throw ins 

ming the merciless
28 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Been my biggest gripe for ages with us

We’ve been moaning about our throw ins since about 1981. Hopeless. Still, a win’s a win! Brilliant last half hour. 

10 minutes ago, ming the merciless said:

We’ve been moaning about our throw ins since about 1981. Hopeless. Still, a win’s a win! Brilliant last half hour. 

I just don’t get it, it’s such a simple thing that everyone else seems to manage fine yet we look like we never have a clue! :lol: Great result and absolutely hammering them most of the 2nd half

Cruickie's Moustache

Dundee's 2nd the other night came from Cochrane throwing to Shanks who had 2 guys pressuring him.

Half the time it is a throw to someone 5 yards away, who gives it back to the thrower.

Thrower is then stuck on side line and either boots it long or he has to fire it back towards our own goal.

In terms of how it all works out we would be as well just chucking throw ins up the wing and take our chances.

Either way part of the problem is a lack of movement or any type of American Football style plays/tactics to get player into space.

Vlad Magic

Throw ins do my head in.

We waste the opportunity nearly every time. 

Some serious work in practise required.

Toxteth O'Grady

There are still a few easy improvements to make  - quick throw ins and free kicks, corners that get past the first defender would be a good start.

Lembikisa done something I don't think I can ever remember seeing a Hearts player do at a throw in toward the end. 

He picked the ball up quickly, and launched it to a player who was "offside" - which you can't be from throw ins! It got us into a nice advanced position and was a change from the usual slow throw to nobody. 

If he can teach that to the rest of them, we might start seeing some improvements. 

Fort Vallance

Been watching since the 60's and its always done my head in.  The only time we got a anything out of them was when Robbo was mobile and showing for them.

john thomas
1 hour ago, ming the merciless said:

Not sure if that is true . Jordan had the players drilled on these basics . 

soonbe110

Just wish they would throw to a teammates feet rather than knees, waist whatever.  One touch and ready to do something with it. 

Remember the time Demi Mitchell took a quick throw-in by throwing it off the opposition player whose back was turned as they were walking away? Would love that but off the face of the opposition, maybe next derby they can try that trick.

middie101

Its not just at throw ins. We lack movement regularly throughout the game. For me everyone ahead of the ball should be constantly moving/making runs. We seem static alot of the time waiting for the ball.

Der Kaiser

Said this at pretty much every home game. My son then reminds me I say this every home game.

Unless there's a quick throw on to a team mate who's in space, throw-ins should always just be launched up the line so players can contest them.

There's no need for us to take an age over them.

Benny Klack
2 hours ago, tian447 said:

Lembikisa done something I don't think I can ever remember seeing a Hearts player do at a throw in toward the end. 

He picked the ball up quickly, and launched it to a player who was "offside" - which you can't be from throw ins! It got us into a nice advanced position and was a change from the usual slow throw to nobody. 

If he can teach that to the rest of them, we might start seeing some improvements. 

Aye noticed that - think he did it twice.

Cochrane has some throw on him - Michael Smith esque.

Wee Mikey

1st half, one of our forwards made a run beyond the Aberdeen defence and was clear.

A quick forward throw would've seen us threaten.

What did we do? Throw it back towards our own goal.

Double grrr ...

There's always an argument over throw backwards to guarantee 100% possession and recycle vs throw forwards where it becomes a 50/50 but that comes with players knowing their roles plus taking them quicker.

1st half on the left Cochrane throws, Shankland flicks on and Grant ends up running through and switches to right wing.

That's far better than I've seen in recent weeks but we then failed to do it again where Shankland drops in to flick on.

The rest were throws to feet, normally Forrest who was under pressure 

When in attack we take so long to take one, the opposition has the whole team behind the ball and the advantage of a quick throw is gone. Pisses me off why we do that. 

Lambert Simnel
16 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Noticed a couple of times at throw ins today we were trying to pick out Forrest who was loitering completely unmarked in what would normally be an 'offside' position. Cochrane picked him out in the first half and Dexter in the second, nothing came of it either time but thought it was something a bit different than our usual poor efforts. 

Agreed. I thought our throw-ins got a pass mark yesterday, after weeks of dire frustration. Maybe the catastrophic one which led to Dundee's second goal forced the coaching staff to put some time in on them?

Stuart McNeill

As mentioned already. We're dreadfully slow at taking throw-ins. 

However with dexter coming in, whenever he's taking one he just throws it right back into play. 

Doesn't wait to get to the edge of the pitch, doesn't allow the opponents to regroup, throws it to anyone that's remotely close by to get the ball back into play. 

This is what we've been needing for a while and it's good to see. 

The way we restart the game with a throw in has been pretty poor for months. 

From memory the big clubs generally  throw it back to the defenders asap and start building again. 

Ours seem to be  a lottery that we invariably give up possession. 

Nelly Terraces
15 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

I'd say so although in the second half today they were much better. Especially the throws in behind their defence.

Yeah, they've been abysmal for far too long but I also noted a few in the 2nd half yesterday that were taken quickly, & down the line, the ball broke loose/bounced off Aberdeen players a coupla times & we picked up possession in open play leading to attacks. Obviously you don't wanna just throw them straight to the oppo but if they're hard & fast there's a 50/50 chance we get the ball whereas at the moment we nearly always ultimately give up possession from our own throws. 

16 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Noticed that two, hopefully we’re working on throw ins. Some were also taken a lot faster in the second half.

Main problem is lack of movement giving the thrower minimal options.

It would seem that we do not do any work on this in training or else the players are totally ignoring it if they do.

I can't believ how the mindset of Cochrane in particlaur is to go backwards all the time. I know there are instances where that is ok and we can build from the back but it just seems his first instinct is to go back which I don't like.It is especially annoying when we are putting the oppostion under pressure and win a throw in and relieve the pressure by going backwards.

Often it results in the ball going back to Clark to hoof upfield invariably to cause us to lose possession from a decent position before the throw.

Very frustrating.

• 1 month later...
Nelly Terraces

Back to being slower than a week in jail again last night.

Noticed this week that both the Blackburn goal v Newcastle & Rangers winner last night both came from quickly taken throws, yet we persist on allowing the opposition to get back into shape, mark off any of our players, who largely just stand like statues making no attempt to move for the ball. Kinda basic stuff I'd have thought our management would be looking at, but never seem to do. 

Its rage inducing. 

When the ball goes out of play, players need to make themselves availible to the throw in taker faster. Similarly, he needs to look to get the ball in MUCH faster.

We can barely break teams down as is, giving them more time to get re-positioned is ****ing insanity and breathtakingly stupid. 

It's not even the lack of urgency, it's the throw-ins are often shite and at a bad height so the receiving player is already scrambling to control.

• 1 month later...
GavK1012

Nobody running off the ball, stretching the oppo, like statues...

😴😬🙄😒

Jambo61
On 27/01/2024 at 17:29, kila said:

Are our throw-ins generally wasteful and letting us down?

For years, it seems like we lose possession pretty much every time while taking too long. Some are thrown at awkward heights leading to a poor touch. Long throws when we use them have been good though, particularly Cochrane's down the wing or into the box.

Always feel like we are a man down...at least! Be as well chucking the ball as far away from out goal as possible then chasing it!

1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

The plural of throw in, is throws in

I’ll make sure Naismith has it right on his PowerPoint 👍

Pasquale for King

How bad was Atkinsons long throw in the first half. 
Why do we always go backwards instead of forward?

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Nobody running off the ball, stretching the oppo, like statues...

😴😬🙄😒

The same when we break forward too, run away from your marker into space, really not that complicated.