Tesla owners

Armageddon

Armageddon

Anyone own a Tesla?

Advice please, looking at a 3 AWD long range.  I’ve had a test drive and get all the figures and planning required for longer trips, but what is real life like? 

Statts1976uk

I'm in the same boat but looking at a Model Y LR. I wasn't really wanting a Tesla but the figures seem to add up against my first choice of the Polestar.

PaddysBar

I’m being hypocritical given I’ve got Sky but I couldn’t give that wank Musk a penny. 

1 hour ago, Statts1976uk said:

I'm in the same boat but looking at a Model Y LR. I wasn't really wanting a Tesla but the figures seem to add up against my first choice of the Polestar.

Strong rumours that Polestar are in financial trouble. Which seems a bit odd as they’re owned by Volvo but I’ve seen a couple of article suggesting it. 

henrysmithsgloves

Try BYD for an electric car,heard a lot of good things from ex colleagues in Germany Only downside here is the Scottish dealership. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Strong rumours that Polestar are in financial trouble. Which seems a bit odd as they’re owned by Volvo but I’ve seen a couple of article suggesting it. 

The 3 is going into production and the 4 opens for orders later this month - I guess that'll make or break them. 

Volvo's own EV range is pretty strong too and high spec'd.

Somewhat off topic. Tesla has:

Model S

Model X

Model Y

Ford sued them so they couldn't use the missing letter. He might be an arsehole, but EM clearly does have a sense of humor...

For anyone that cares, I'll also reiterate - EVs are not, and never will be the solution to our problems

Edited by trotter

I have a model 3, short range though.....had it 2.5 years now and the battery now has 100% range of 249 miles compared to 266 when I got it

Real world range is 2/3 rds of stated I would say.....i.e....if sat nav says a trip will be 66 miles it will take around 100 miles off the range

Winter takes it toll as well, it doesn't like the cold..!...range is less and charging can take longer

I do long day trips in it no problem, West Lothian to Manchester and back in a day...same with Liverpool and Newcastle etc back in a day, plenty of superchargers out there

If you can have a charger at home so much the better as well....im looking to change to the Y middle of this year hopefully, or will get the new model 3 if not..

hughesie27
10 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

I’m being hypocritical given I’ve got Sky but I couldn’t give that wank Musk a penny. 

What's the connection between Sky and Musk that makes it hypocritical?

4 hours ago, trotter said:

Model S

Model X

Model Y

Ford sued them so they couldn't use the missing letter. He might be an arsehole, but EM clearly does have a sense of humor...

For anyone that cares, I'll also reiterate - EVs are not, and never will be the solution to our problems

If you're in the market for a new car then it will solve your fuel expense problems. Guy at my work just got a new car and with his tariff it costs him 40p to charge it overnight.

23 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

If you're in the market for a new car then it will solve your fuel expense problems. Guy at my work just got a new car and with his tariff it costs him 40p to charge it overnight.

A full charge for 40p? Is this at a Tesla charging station with a low tariff for first few months? 
I am on my second EV. Had a BMW i3 for 6 years without any issues. Now got a Ford mustang Mach. Test drove a Tesla but, despite it being able to make farting noises, preferred the Ford.

hughesie27
Just now, westbow said:

A full charge for 40p? Is this at a Tesla charging station with a low tariff for first few months? 
I am on my second EV. Had a BMW i3 for 6 years without any issues. Now got a Ford mustang Mach. Test drove a Tesla but, despite it being able to make farting noises, preferred the Ford.

Its at home with a heavily discounted electricity use tariff overnight.

buca junior

Have the Model Y short range. The recent cold weather really impacts the battery. 

Home charger gets installed this week and associated energy tariff will make it cost effective and more convenient. 

Have been using the Tesla super charger near Ratho. Get close to a full charge for around £15. 

Whatever you do don't ever risk letting the battery run down to zero, seemed to be what had happened to the driver of the Model 3 that was stuck on the Halbeith Roundabout this morning who couldn't even push it out the way onto the side of the road (seemingly needs some power to put it into neutral)

Sorry for the potential naivety, but have any of the EV car makers looked at the possibility of having battery swap-out stations where the whole depleted battery is swapped out for a new charged one? The depleted one would then be recharged and added to stock. Would make sense to me if practical on an engineering and safety basis.

10 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Whatever you do don't ever risk letting the battery run down to zero, seemed to be what had happened to the driver of the Model 3 that was stuck on the Halbeith Roundabout this morning who couldn't even push it out the way onto the side of the road (seemingly needs some power to put it into neutral)

Yeah, electric cars cannot be towed. Need to be put on the back of a flatbed.

hughesie27
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Sorry for the potential naivety, but have any of the EV car makers looked at the possibility of having battery swap-out stations where the whole depleted battery is swapped out for a new charged one? The depleted one would then be recharged and added to stock. Would make sense to me if practical on an engineering and safety basis.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It would make sense. I did read recently that depletion of batteries is quite a bit slower than originally thought. 

4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Thanks Hughesie. The future, I think, with charging as a backup.

PortyJambo

Toyota say they're going to be able to mass produce solid state batteries by 2027 or thereabouts. Apparently the range for their EV's with them will then be up to about 750 miles, with a recharge time of 10 minutes. Could be a game changer if true, although will see if it's all just self-marketing talk and whether they do manage it (there are problems related to solid state batteries that will need overcome, and Toyota have apparently been saying for a few years they're close to mass production)

https://www.ft.com/content/6224f235-568c-4e2f-8247-e7dacf0ef20c

Psychedelicropcircle

I’ve an entry level model3 similar experience to moz. My mrs does all the charging at her work so it’s frrree unless I’m doing long trips! 
Get a charge place Scotland card you’ll need it if your up the top of Scotland. Generally if I’m out on long trips I use the Tesla supercharger which in general is fast enough. 

much like ice cars the mileage is less than stated. 

The future won’t be just electric but it’ll play its part. 

Harry Potter
15 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Anyone own a Tesla?

Advice please, looking at a 3 AWD long range.  I’ve had a test drive and get all the figures and planning required for longer trips, but what is real life like? 

You can look forward to loads of coffee as you queue for a charge.

I've had my M3 LR for just over 2 years. It will go from Cambridge to Edinburgh on one charge in the summer, but you will arrive with next to no charge remaining. Winter, expect to get half to 3/5 range out of 100% charge. Traditional cars will also get worse fuel consumption in winter. 

It is a great car to drive and only takes 30min to get used to the 'one pedal' regenerative braking driving technique. I can do my 50miles commute without pressing the brake pedal now. A few gimmicky gadgets but I'm not bothered by fart noises, games, netflix etc. so that does not influence me. 

Not sure I would buy new right now as plenty deals to be had on 2yr old models - make sure you go 71 plate or newer as these had a small facelift to include better trim and 2x wireless chargers in the front. There was a 71 plate M3 Performance going last week at a dealers down here when we were in looking for a Disco for the Mrs and it was £22k for 35k miles, serious bargain - it came and went sameday

Insurance may be ouch so check that out. Get a 7kW home charger if you pull the trigger, or even better if you've free charging at work like I do! Tesla Superchargers are a breeze to use and despite the Daily Mail EV hate campaign, I've never had to queue at a Supercharger in my 2+ years of ownership. Charging on long trips is a frequently commented area - all sites I've stopped at are well provisioned, and by the time you've gone to the toilet, eaten something (your own or bought) then you've maybe 10 minutes remaining until your on your way again. Sit in the car, catchup on the news, emails etc. and done. 

My opinion - go 2 year old and safe yourself a fortune on depreciation. 

What I miss... I came from a V8 Mustang. M3 LR is faster, but you miss the driving noise and progressing through the gears. 

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Probably a reference to Rupert Murdoch's ownership/ involvement in Sky. 

Which, of course, is no longer an issue, as he sold his shares in it a number of years ago...

Americana
8 hours ago, trotter said:

Model S

Model X

Model Y

But slightly more efficient than Mitsubishi FTOs

spirt of 98
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

NIO do this. They were planning to expand into Europe. I know this as I had some stock which boomed. 

I P Knightley

I've booked a rental EV for a return drive, London to Birmingham, at the start of February. 

I'm already getting range anxiety. 

On 23/01/2024 at 07:32, I P Knightley said:

I've booked a rental EV for a return drive, London to Birmingham, at the start of February. 

I'm already getting range anxiety. 

I rented a Polestar last summer at Edinburgh airport for a one week visit at my sisters. I had the availability of a charger at my nephews house up the street so charging was essentially free ( he would not accept any money but told me it was only a fiver or so to charge it overnight. On the night before returning the car it was down to 36% charge so took it to my nephews to charge it up. There was an £80 surcharge if you returned it with less than 80% charge. No problem I thought.  Charge overnight and Bobs yer uncle!  Went to pick it up to return it to airport and noticed it had not charged at all. Still read 36%!  Panic set in and I sped to the nearest charging station. It took about 40 mins to charge it from 36% to 83%.  Cost?  Well over £40.  I think if you were charging up where I did you would be cheaper with a petrol car. 
I think the reason it did not charge itself overnight must have been because I had decided to let it do an over the air update. After the update it had shut itself down and did not charge up. 

PaddysBar
On 23/01/2024 at 13:56, Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic? said:

Probably a reference to Rupert Murdoch's ownership/ involvement in Sky. 

Which, of course, is no longer an issue, as he sold his shares in it a number of years ago...

It was and I didn’t know that👍

Japan Jambo
On 23/01/2024 at 11:20, redjambo said:

Renault piloted this in Israel a good few years ago, pretty sure you bought the car and rented the battery. Infrastructure costs were pretty high and without a very concentrated geography very difficult to roll out. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Place_(company)

Watt-Zeefuik

You can get a lot of the benefits of an electric car without a lot of the biggest hassles if you get a plug-in hybrid that has 30-50 miles of battery mode on it.

Models are different over here of course but we have a Chrysler Pacifica van that gets about 36 miles per charge and if we don't take a road trip, we go months without buying gas. The fuel cost of driving on electric power is about 1/4 that of gas.

Then if we need to drive up to visit the in-laws, we just stop at the gas station, and it still gets ~34 mpg.

And it drives like an electric car, which once you've driven one, you'll never want to go back to all gas. Smells a whole lot better too.

For my part though I cannot stand the design of the Teslas. Absolute nightmare ergonomically, entirely aside from the whole "owned by a fascist smug *******" bit.

I hear great things about BYDs but haven't been in one.

5 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

You can get a lot of the benefits of an electric car without a lot of the biggest hassles if you get a plug-in hybrid that has 30-50 miles of battery mode on it.

Models are different over here of course but we have a Chrysler Pacifica van that gets about 36 miles per charge and if we don't take a road trip, we go months without buying gas. The fuel cost of driving on electric power is about 1/4 that of gas.

Then if we need to drive up to visit the in-laws, we just stop at the gas station, and it still gets ~34 mpg.

And it drives like an electric car, which once you've driven one, you'll never want to go back to all gas. Smells a whole lot better too.

For my part though I cannot stand the design of the Teslas. Absolute nightmare ergonomically, entirely aside from the whole "owned by a fascist smug *******" bit.

I hear great things about BYDs but haven't been in one.

Think this is the way to go. I've had a few as hire vehicles and they've meant I could drive the distance I needed no problem but if it had been my own car, like you, I'd have been able to use it for weeks purely on electric.

That said, I cannot remotely agree with the bit in bold.

Armageddon

Some reassuring stuff from owners, I’m going to wait until the new registration comes out and see what appears on the second hand market, PCP’s will be ending so hopefully pick up a 21 plate.

• 1 month later...
Statts1976uk
On 30/01/2024 at 00:11, Armageddon said:

Some reassuring stuff from owners, I’m going to wait until the new registration comes out and see what appears on the second hand market, PCP’s will be ending so hopefully pick up a 21 plate.

Feeling the same way and also waiting for other people's fleet and PCP deals to end and enter the market. Not getting the Tesla though, going to go for the Mach-E.

I was originally going to go for the Model Y ahead of the Polestar but after driving all three, I prefer the Mach-E. 

Edited by Statts1976uk

Greedy Jambo

The day Electric cars become the norm is the day that a lot our hearts will die, there will be no point getting out of bed in the morning. 

Same goes for automatics in general. 

Men become weaker by the day. 

Statts1976uk
19 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

The day Electric cars become the norm is the day that a lot our hearts will die, there will be no point getting out of bed in the morning. 

Same goes for automatics in general. 

Men become weaker by the day. 

There was an analogy that Jay Leno used where he described the car as being release of the horse from being a working tool to being a leisure toy. He suggested that the new powertains may be the release of the internal combustion engine.

I think there is more to life than the power train of a car, plenty to get you up in the morning!

Edited by Statts1976uk

• 2 weeks later...
Armageddon

Eventually bought one, picked it up on Tuesday.

Model 3 Long Range, facelift model with the heat pump, very recent software update has added matrix headlights, I’m now one of these folk that try and convince everyone else to buy one….. just like those folk with air fryers 😂  The torque is off the scale.

Home charger being installed on Tuesday then charging life gets easier and far cheaper.

Statts1976uk
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

Eventually bought one, picked it up on Tuesday.

Model 3 Long Range, facelift model with the heat pump, very recent software update has added matrix headlights, I’m now one of these folk that try and convince everyone else to buy one….. just like those folk with air fryers 😂  The torque is off the scale.

Home charger being installed on Tuesday then charging life gets easier and far cheaper.

I bought my Mach-E last week and spend a fair amount of time this week trying to book someone to fit a home charger quickly with no success. 

Who are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Howdy Doody Jambo

Has anyone experienced any faults with Tesla car's?

Break down issues, non starting , software problems!

Spellczech
On 23/01/2024 at 05:57, trotter said:

Model S

Model X

Model Y

If he had a sense of humour he'd have a Model E - I mean...pretty obvious for an EV anyway...

29 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

If he had a sense of humour he'd have a Model E - I mean...pretty obvious for an EV anyway...

Was that not what he meant? 🤔

hughesie27
5 hours ago, Spellczech said:

:what:

6 hours ago, Spellczech said:

He does.
S

X

Y

Armageddon
8 hours ago, Statts1976uk said:

I bought my Mach-E last week and spend a fair amount of time this week trying to book someone to fit a home charger quickly with no success. 

Who are you using if you don't mind me asking?

The car came with a ‘free’ charger, BumblebeeEV have dealt with it all, I’ve paid £51 to change it to a tethered unit as I can’t be bothered with the hassle.  Picked the car up on Wednesday at 6pm and by yesterday lunchtime the kit was sorted, tracker sent for a Monday delivery and install booked for Tuesday 👏🏼

Ive been to 2 ChargePlace Scotland units and they’ve been painfully slow, I didn’t need a charge but just went to check it all out. I can’t use the Tesla units until the new V5 arrives and I register with them.

Home charging will be the game changer and the Tesla supercharger when I need a panicked top up or are on a road trip.

Armageddon
7 hours ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

The main problems seem to be with panel gaps and paint issues in the pre-2021 cars, but that’s not fleet wide.  You’ll read a few issues with software but once reported via the app an over the air update sorts that.

The biggest complaint I’ve read has been the terrible window wipers, again a software update has/will sort that.

7 hours ago, Howdy Doody Jambo said:

5 months in on a model 3 and not a single problem. Was planning to wait for the refresh but didn’t like the idea of the indicators on the steering wheel. 

Only just getting a home charger installed next week as my commute has increased significantly the past couple months due to a new job. Only needed to charge once every two weeks at most before (unless I was doing any longer road trips), now I’m having to charge every week. Luckily I’m near the Tesla supercharger once a week at least but that’s becoming costly (but still less than an equivalent tank of fuel). 

Looking forward to paying under a fiver to charge from 0-100% = more beer tokens. 

Spellczech
14 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

The main problems seem to be with panel gaps and paint issues in the pre-2021 cars, but that’s not fleet wide.  You’ll read a few issues with software but once reported via the app an over the air update sorts that.

The biggest complaint I’ve read has been the terrible window wipers, again a software update has/will sort that.

How can a software update fix rubbish windscreen wipers?

Armageddon
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

How can a software update fix rubbish windscreen wipers?

How they respond to rain, at the moment they only come on when it’s chucking it but the latest updated being rolled out has changed the sensor response.

Even the latest update changed the headlights to activate the Matrix headlights.