Leanne Crichton (not dead)

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Game is all about opinions but I know who I’d rather have.

And it’s no Miovski. 

Put it this way, if we had Miovski instead of Shankland we would have less points in the league.  

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benny Klack

• MoncurMacdonaldMercer

• RustyRightPeg

• indianajones

Top Posters In This Topic

She’s just another dreary West Coast loving mouthpiece.  She might be slightly better than some of her male counterparts, but really that’s coming from a really low base

Said in the match thread but my mother, who has no interest in football, said "Does she ever shut up?"...

Now to keep Liam McLeod relatively quiet is some feat! 

she's better than most, but that's a very low bar. don't mind her at times but the monotone weegie drawl that goes on far too long is grating.

as some say, she does at least do her homework on the games she's covering and at least has some real knowledge of the game. but that only shows because the rest are so poor (although Cammy Bell could turn out alright as long as he's not dragged down).

at least it's not like listening to Shelly Kerr who is ike a female Elvis!

Benny Klack
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Put it this way, if we had Miovski instead of Shankland we would have less points in the league.  

Miovski has been rank rid rotten every time I’ve seen him at Tynecastle. 

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

The **** are some people on about in this thread? 

She's horrendous. 

Was thinking the exact same. Absolutely dreadful and better watched on mute.

At one point she described Grant as being "consistent every week" 🤨

Americana

Shes brutal. Same commentator that when Aaron McEneff came off the bench and knocked in the winner with his knee wanted to give him MoTM.

Not sure what sound I dislike more her voice, Craig Fowlers commentating or the black board scene in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

ArcticJambo
4 hours ago, By The Light.. said:

I think she's mono-tone and boring.

Appears we need female commentary on everything nowadays, I get that 50% of the population is female but none of the females in my family (or any other I know) could give a flying and only ask the score to chat and see how I am.

:lol: Genius social commentary, this! Well done, sir.

Bungalow Bill

I think she’s good, she’s better than biscuits and miller. 

4marsbars

The big problem on Saturday was Lazy McLeod. Goodness only knows how he became a football commentator, because that seems to be the one thing he is unable to do.

Unfortunately, 21st Century football commentators feel under no obligation to do the one thing we want which is ....

When the ball is in play, all you need to do is tell us the name of the player currently on the ball, because, often, that's the thing we don't know. Then the viewer at home (me) starts to notice how the opposition is playing. Joe Bloggs often makes nice forward passes, Fred Flintstone always hoofs it up the park, there's often neat interplay between Smith and Jones, that kind of thing.

Also, there is rarely any need to name-check the goalie, because they wear different, easily identifiable costumes, usually stand in the same spot, and often handle the ball with impunity. But Spartans' most mentioned player on Saturday was their goalie. 

It's as simple (and difficult) as that. Either McLeod has no clue how to identify players. in which case he is in the wrong job, or he can't be bothered, so just resorts to chatting with his pundit, because that is so much easier than his actual job.

There's plenty of time when the ball is out of play. That's when to chat about tactics, bring to our attention things that we might not be noticing at home, and even the odd anecdote. But mostly leave out the statistics.

4 hours ago, By The Light.. said:

I think she's mono-tone and boring.

Appears we need female commentary on everything nowadays, I get that 50% of the population is female but none of the females in my family (or any other I know) could give a flying and only ask the score to chat and see how I am.

Definitely this!  

The fact we have to have a thread on her to say that she is actually alright as a pundit shows how wrong all this box ticking is.  She will have got her job for what she is not what she can do.

For what it is worth I don't actually mind her but there will no doubt be countless better candidates for the job.

Saying that, watching Sportscene last night before the draw for the first time in donkeys and there was some little kid reporting on some diddy game with a mouth the size of Shergar who looked like he was scared of his own shadow, had never even heard of football before and was uncomfortable in his skin so **** knows the box he ticked.  

In conclusion, the punditry and presenting standard on Sportscene is abysmal for both male and female.  I'm talking real low level amateur productions, something that you used to knock up in media studies class in school with a hand held camcorder.

indianajones
22 minutes ago, Negan said:

she is a terrible pundit. What you on about? :cornette:

Genuinely terrible. 

Horrendous voice and hates Hearts. 

3 hours ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

Pretty sure she supports Motherwell?

She played for Glasgow City then when older she moved to Motherwell as player/coach. I don't know if she's still coaching.  "Allegedly" she is a Rangers fan BUT the point above that her wife is a coach at Rangers may explain that.

Shooter McGavin

I don't find her to be that insightful if I'm honest. File alongside Willie Miller, Richard Gordon, Billy Dodds, Steven Thompson. Michael Stewart and McFadden are decent.

I feel like most football commentary or punditry is just a white noise of cliche phrases and bland takes that offer very little insight.

Neville, Carragher and Keane are good, the rest? meh.

Genuinely insightful and interesting punditry in this country is at a real premium the now, outside of maybe Tom English and Michael Stewart I'm struggling to think of anyone that actually makes me sit up and listen.

Leanne Crichton is not the worst by any chance however, and she is perhaps restricted by the dross she has to commentate on (and the dross she has to work with) but there are far far worse than her thieving a wage around Scottish Football.

One thing I think a lot agree on is in general the standard of punditry is horrendous. 

RustyRightPeg
18 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

One thing I think a lot agree on is in general the standard of punditry is horrendous. 

James McFadden (who I usually don't mind) was an embarrassment on Saturday. Suggesting we deliberately didn't play Shankland so we didn't cup tie him. 

Americana
43 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Neville, Carragher and Keane are good, the rest? meh.

Good chemistry between them and its entertaining. Actually enjoy Stewart and Sutton being on the same show for the disagreements. 

Templeton Peck

I think she is good. Does a great job. Couldn't care less what school she went to or if she is married. Some football fans are incredibly fragile. 

dannymack

One of the few punters I can focus on when on the mic' giving her pre and post natch analysis, I'd love to be a fly on the wall if some of you lot were trying to talk football with her. 

"Faddy" is very good too. 

dannymack

At least she speaks her mind and isn't afraid to defend her opinion when there's a debate on the go. 

I've yet to hear her cry about the Scotland National team(s) being too white unlike some other who embarrassed herself due to being leaned on. 

indianajones
1 minute ago, dannymack said:

At least she speaks her mind and isn't afraid to defend her opinion when there's a debate on the go. 

I've yet to hear her cry about the Scotland National team(s) being too white unlike some other who embarrassed herself due to being leaned on. 

Who whinged about that? 

john thomas
4 minutes ago, dannymack said:

One of the few punters I can focus on when on the mic' giving her pre and post natch analysis, I'd love to be a fly on the wall if some of you lot were trying to talk football with her. 

"Faddy" is very good too. 

Her knowledge of Spartans players was impressive . As , of course , it should be but most don't bother . Puts her more than a step above the rest

Horatio Caine
17 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

James McFadden (who I usually don't mind) was an embarrassment on Saturday. Suggesting we deliberately didn't play Shankland so we didn't cup tie him. 

I don't mind him either, but he did the old 'without Shankland's goals Hearts would be 7 points worse off'

So what if you took Miovski's goals away from the Sheep?

I think she is decent.Any pundit would have had the same reaction as her with the Spartans equaliser

McCann and McFadden are up there with the best in the UK so for the beeb to have 3 decent pundits,4 when Levein is there makes up from the usual dress they usually have

RustyRightPeg
13 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Who whinged about that? 

Aluko. Joey Barton's pal.

RustyRightPeg
7 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

I don't mind him either, but he did the old 'without Shankland's goals Hearts would be 7 points worse off'

So what if you took Miovski's goals away from the Sheep?

Yep exactly.

Howdy Doody Jambo

David Francey was the best, Leanne just quotes like the rest of them in football terminology clichés 

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Yep.  Bin them all apart from Michael Stewart, James McFadden and Neil McCann.    tbf, Stephen Thomson is decent now after a horrendous first year hosting Sportscene.   Shelley Kerr made a much better assessment of Saturday's game than Leanne Crichton.

DIdn't someone on here a while back say that Kerr is a Hearts fan ?

spirt of 98
16 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

excellent pundit

doesnt feel the need to spew-out loads of tactical gobbledegook to try to convince people that she knows what she’s talking about (unlike that other ladies.  :words:) - just says appropriate things at appropriate times

happy to debate and disagree with the men experts like Tom English and Willie miller - just calls a spade a spade and doesn’t appear to be trying to be controversial or pushing a wider point

says things that could make her unpopular with some people within the game - again doesn’t appear to be trying to be deliberately provocative just saying it as she sees it (and I often agree)

there on merit

well done hen          :welldone:

Token bird commentating on the men’s game to appease the woke brigade. 

If only I had a deloran to transport back to the 80s. Those were the days! 

Edited by spirt of 98

Harry Potter
16 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

She thinks Lawrence Shankland isn't worth £5million.

True, worth 6 million.

BBC pundits in general are scraping the barrel. Tom English is easily the worst, and absolute slaver who loves seeing Scottish sport fail.

with regards Crichton, there’s defo better and undoubtedly many who are way worse than her. My main criticism of her and others is on open all mics when they talk about VAR. I don’t think one of them has the first clue about the laws of football and they all fumble around trying to blame a ref and cause a controversy at every game instead of having objective views of how they came to the decision.

Edited by daveb15

Archie White

One of the obligatory women the BBC feel they need. Was boring as hell on Saturday's commentary with her monotone voice. Rabbited on and on and on.... She's never heard the phrase Less Is More.

Dallas Green

The state of the misogyny on here. I think she's a shite pundit but it's got nothing to do with her being a woman, there are equally as bad and even worse men who are pundits in the Scottish game.

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Yep.  Bin them all apart from Michael Stewart, James McFadden and Neil McCann.    tbf, Stephen Thomson is decent now after a horrendous first year hosting Sportscene.   Shelley Kerr made a much better assessment of Saturday's game than Leanne Crichton.

DIdn't someone on here a while back say that Kerr is a Hearts fan ?

A Jambo from Polbeth

sirwalter
36 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

The state of the misogyny on here. I think she's a shite pundit but it's got nothing to do with her being a woman, there are equally as bad and even worse men who are pundits in the Scottish game.

Absolutely. The problem is that, for me, she is very, very boring. Not quite as boring as Billy Dodds but that is a low bar as I have yet to hear him say anything remotely, interesting, insightful or amusing - ever. Things might improve for her if she adopted a "less is more" approach. Mind you, Alan Shearer is paid a king's ransom by the BBC so perhaps she has her career path worked out!