** Scottish Cup fifth round - Airdrie v Hearts Sun 11/2 17:00 - tickets on sale ***

Bazzas right boot

22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Scottish cup takes precedence over league matches. 

They won't move the St J game for a BBC game. 

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• John Findlay

• Mikey1874

Silvery_Moon
4 minutes ago, 151 said:

Yeh I mean I was a kid during the 90's also, I more meant older fans as in guys that might have been 20's or 30's during those times would not be classed as the older fan. Was poor wording :lol: just meant I was too young to remember.

Yeah over 30 years ago now which is terrifying. Horrible games and I absolutely hated their goalkeeper John Martin. An absolutely infuriating 'character'. 🤣

9 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Scary thinking of myself as an 'older fan' but I was at school during those games in the 90's.

In 1991 they put us out in the 3rd round (that was the round we joined in those days). That was bad enough but worse was to follow. 

The 1992 semi final was 0-0 and went to a replay. Losing on penalties was Heartbreaking and another kick in the teeth that we went through.

Getting them in the 1995 semi felt a good draw for us - we'd knocked out Rangers and Dundee United (the holders) and and average Celtic and Hibs were in the other semi. Really thought we'd get them that time and losing again to them is one of the worst I've felt after a Hearts game. I'm sure Robbo got sent off as well. A horrible team who had our number in the league as well in 92/93.

VAR puts us through in 92.  I remember a Davie MacPherson header being half a yard over the line in the first game but not given.   

I was at the 91 game at their old Broomfield ground.  Great support through(as always in those days for cup matches).  We walked into a running battle as we came out a club to head to the match.  

As often brought up about then they had a lot of Hearts connections. Alex MacDonald the manager, ex players, Kidd, Stewart, Black, Sandison, Lawrence, Kirkwood all played. 

Edited by Debut 4

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

:lol:

Their MP is tidy tbf

I had to look her up. Not kidding 😍 So ironic that she represents Airdrie and Shotts. Beauty and the Beast or what!  :D 

26 minutes ago, martoon said:

I think it was Kenny Black who scored against us in the '92 replay.

A free kick at our end.

11k that night, iirc, heavy rain and depressing as feck.

Mind you, I think the '95 semi was even worse.

It was, from about the only free kick I can ever remember being awarded because the goalie took too many steps with the ball.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

If you are talking about their previous name, Clydebank, then yes, Kilbowie Park was the first all seated stadium. 

Mind you not sure planks of wood on top of breeze blocks really counts as seats. It was miserable cold place too.

9 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

It was, from about the only free kick I can ever remember being awarded because the goalie took too many steps with the ball.

You have a great memory, mate. 👍 

Edited by martoon

8 minutes ago, martoon said:

You have a great memory, mate. 👍 

It was over 30 years ago so apologies if I’m talking pish but was it not using his hands after releasing the ball ?

I may be dreaming it but something tells me it wasn’t steps. 
Horrible game, you’re spot on there, mate.

PaddysBar
Just now, 1971fozzy said:

I thought it was because he took it slightly out the box 🤷🏻‍♂️

That was my recollection. 

Just now, 1971fozzy said:

Someone will have the answer, mate.

something tells me he held the ball, released it and when it came back to him he palmed it down and was penalised. The indirect kick was well inside the box.

Rudiscoresagain

He used both arms to stop the ball when he could have used his chest and then the daftie picked the ball up. 
If it had been a save and then picked it up he’d have been ok. 

1971fozzy
37 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Yeah over 30 years ago now which is terrifying. Horrible games and I absolutely hated their goalkeeper John Martin. An absolutely infuriating 'character'. 🤣

John Martin. God that’s right. Not a very popular character from memory I’m sure he was a miner but may be wrong.

these Hampden games were horror shows. 

Tommy Walker
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

The guy who threw the bottles in has male pattern baldness . Must be an older Airdrie resident like 15 or something . Dont think they generally live much past that 

Pub leaving bin full of empty bottles near front door 😲

4 minutes ago, Rudiscoresagain said:

He used both arms to stop the ball when he could have used his chest and then the daftie picked the ball up. 

That was it.

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

John Martin. God that’s right. Not a very popular character from memory I’m sure he was a miner but may be wrong.

He was and was a scab allegedly.

1971fozzy
9 minutes ago, Rudiscoresagain said:

👍 

Gorgiewave

I was at their playoff against Hamilton last season. They didn't even nearly fill the main stand for that. They had 9,044 against Rangers. I imagine they'd give us three stands if there was demand for them.

the posh bit
22 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Think it was 4 or 5 steps, there was a 3 step rule at the time. 

Our Henry gave a way a free kick for taking the ball out the box before kicking later on that season against St Mirren at Love Street. Free kick awarded and they naturally scored. 

I reckon they'll keep the West Stand and we'll get the other three, approx 6500 tickets.  3500 is more than enough for their support.  

Well, here's another memory...I thought the free kick was because Henry picked up the ball after a throw-in.

1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

I had to look her up. Not kidding 😍 So ironic that she represents Airdrie and Shotts. Beauty and the Beast or what!  :D 

Indeed ❤️

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, briever said:

That brings back bad memories of trips to Broomfield. As a young school kid, I was a member of the Manor Hearts Supporters and in the early 1970’s, I can recall all our away trips there being marred with violence, over a 3-4 year period IIRC.

In one particular game, the Hearts supporters were ambushed, literally yards away from leaving the ground, and quite a number of our Branch ‘engaged with the enemy’. Quite terrifying to witness as a very young teenager, but thank god the “Mental Manor” were there.

Not promoting violence BTW, but these guys had our backs.

weegie jambo
2 hours ago, dannymack said:

Dear Airdrie Section B, please could you refrain rom displaying The Union Flag as I'm deeply offended by it. 

Yours sincerely 

Offended by everything. 

Didn't say I was offended by it although it does suggest a fan of a certain mentality and political leaning. What I do object to is monkey noises directed at black players!

1 hour ago, Boab said:

It was over 30 years ago so apologies if I’m talking pish but was it not using his hands after releasing the ball ?

I may be dreaming it but something tells me it wasn’t steps. 
Horrible game, you’re spot on there, mate.

Henry did have a clearance from hand technique that took it to the edge.

I recall getting back on a supporters bus after an away game, c.1990, and a radio reporter accused him of constantly carrying the ball outside the box.

Within a short while the presenter said that Henry had called the show, indignantly, and denied it.

Funny the wee things you suddenly remember from nowhere. 😜

Mackem Midlothian
2 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

The media were contractually obliged to use the word "madcap" whenever they mentioned him. Pain in the arse.

Martin was a scab,one of the worst who joined the UDM,currently stacks shelfs in Musselburgh Tesco.

Watt-Zeefuik

I love Kickback for all this history.

Hope we give them the Cowdenbeath treatment.

millerjames398
1 hour ago, Mackem Midlothian said:

The media were contractually obliged to use the word "madcap" whenever they mentioned him. Pain in the arse.

***** was always dressed in a tutu and big foam hands and a pretend knife through his head, in the papers before any big game, hated him😂

Monkey Watcher
10 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Think around 1500 with 1000 away fans

It was 1500 home fans with 1000 away if that’s what you mean. Be loads of tickets for this one. Their average home gate is 1700 odd total

Mackem Midlothian
5 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

***** was always dressed in a tutu and big foam hands and a pretend knife through his head, in the papers before any big game, hated him😂

Aye! A total prick.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Probably an all Premiership last 8.

I would bet on Partick beating Livi but otherwise I reckon you’re right

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Hoping its a TV selection, cant say I want to drive into Airdrie ever again

11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

If you are talking about their previous name, Clydebank, then yes, Kilbowie Park was the first all seated stadium. 

3 years after Meadowbank Thistle 👍

9 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Spot on, he absolutely hated us, and yes he was a miner.

30 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Airdrie fans very confident they can beat us 

Airdrie fans drink out of puddles , march around banging big drums and blowing wee whistles , idolise Tommy Robinson and Trump , make monkey noises at black people , breathe through their mouths and talk through their noses , get angry with jumbo sized jigsaws , throw bottles at pubs in to middle age , communicate using grunts and whistles , eat the content of their nostrils , have even numbers of toes and fingers on each foot and hand , can lick their own eyeballs and use their own faeces as play doh 

RustyRightPeg
21 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I saw something last night, not sure how legit it is, but apparently we're the Friday 7:45 game.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I saw something last night, not sure how legit it is, but apparently we're the Friday 7:45 game.

Wouldnt surprise me, Viaplay take the usual 2 games, BBC had us on Saturday, be Friday this time, assume they will take ICT as 2nd game

gregzy2k7

Tough draw, they seem to be a bogey side for us especially in the cup, plus they are 4th in the championship and just knocked St J out in the last round so cannot be underestimated, play our strongest side and hopefully we should win.

Berrassobad
21 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Not often i miss a game . I will not be going

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Airdrie fans drink out of puddles , march around banging big drums and blowing wee whistles , idolise Tommy Robinson and Trump , make monkey noises at black people , breathe through their mouths and talk through their noses , get angry with jumbo sized jigsaws , throw bottles at pubs in to middle age , communicate using grunts and whistles , eat the content of their nostrils , have even numbers of toes and fingers on each foot and hand , can lick their own eyeballs and use their own faeces as play doh 

You know too much about Airdrieonians for comfort

Harry Potter
2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

You know too much about Airdrieonians for comfort

far too much, 😏

rudeskaboyuk

The semi final replay in 1992 had only 11,000 fans ...7,000 hearts fans. I was one of them .

Henry Smith penalized for picking the ball up twice .

We hit the bar just before halftime with a glen snoddin shot . Equaliser in the 92nd minute with a Alan McLaren header and then Robbo hit the woodwork twice in extra time. 

We didn't get much luck back then ! 

Edited by rudeskaboyuk

28 minutes ago, poultry said:

Spot on, he absolutely hated us, and yes he was a miner.

He was also a scab.

Edited by jamboozy

SectionDJambo
10 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

That's my recollection also. The linesman flagged for Henry releasing the ball from his hands, to kick the ball up the park, just outside the box. Henry had a habit of getting too close to the edge of the box with the ball still in his hands. He got caught out, rightly or wrongly, this time.

• davemclaren changed the title to ** Scottish Cup fifth round - Airdrie v Hearts Sun 11/2 17:00 - tickets on sale ***