Car Finance Scandal

Kirky Jambo

Kirky Jambo

Apologies if already a thread on this, couldn’t see it.

Calling it a scandal might be a bit OTT but it seems a recent FCA ruling means millions of people could be due refunds on PCP deals before Jan 2021.

The crux of it is that brokers (car dealers) were incentivized by the finance providers (often big banks) to charge higher interest rates through something called a discretionary commission arrangement. It has been found to be illegal and the ban will be applied retrospectively, meaning millions could be due refunds.

Just wondering if anyone is clued up on this. I had a finance deal but after reading my contract still have no idea if this type of arrangement applied. It seems I just have to ask the finance provider and then take their word for it. Not sure I trust them not to just fob me off 😂.

Anyone else looking into this? It’s early days but suggestions are it could cost the banks billions.

hughesie27

The PPI advert makers will be rubbing their hands.
Martin Lewis was talking about it briefly on his show the other night but says its too early to give out much advise on it.

vegas-voss

Robbing *******s you would think they would learn past lessons but no straight onto the next scam with the *****.

Tommy Brown

Is it not more a case of people applying for PPI and dealer saying you couldn't get that deal. But we can get you similar at a higher %. Dealer getting you the deal that gave them better commission.

I recall reading of this on here in the past.

I hope some on here make claims and win.

henrysmithsgloves

They warned the motor trade years ago this day"might" come🤣 . Did not stop them though 😳

samgolden

I would never take pcp on a new car or any car you would be better getting a bank loan other than using car finance PCP or HP the % rate is far lower and the car is yours at the end if finance is limited go for a lesser value 

Tommy Brown
10 hours ago, samgolden said:

I would never take pcp on a new car or any car you would be better getting a bank loan other than using car finance PCP or HP the % rate is far lower and the car is yours at the end if finance is limited go for a lesser value 

Not always the case

heartsfc_fan
15 hours ago, samgolden said:

Not always the case.

I've had 0% PCP deals.

• 2 weeks later...
Tommy Brown

Martin Lewis money show on ITV tonight at 8pm

(ITVX if you miss it)

Doing a piece on this.

@Kirky Jambo

Edited by Tommy Brown

Kirky Jambo
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Martin Lewis money show on ITV tonight at 8pm

(ITVX if you miss it)

Doing a piece on this.

@Kirky Jambo

Cheers - will give it a watch 👍

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Missed this. Did anything come of it? 

If you sign up to Money Saving Expert they will give you a template to make a claim.

jamb0_1874

I do wonder how many people wouldnt have taken out the deal they did if they had known this information at the time as surely if you took out such a deal then you were quite happy to sign up to it at the time.

It just seems to be another example of the bonkers world we live in now.

6 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

I do wonder how many people wouldnt have taken out the deal they did if they had known this information at the time as surely if you took out such a deal then you were quite happy to sign up to it at the time.

It just seems to be another example of the bonkers world we live in now.

The issue was that people were made to believe that the deal they were getting was the best they qualified for, when in actual fact better deals were there but didn't offer as high of a commission to the garage.

jamb0_1874
22 minutes ago, Ribble said:

The issue was that people were made to believe that the deal they were getting was the best they qualified for, when in actual fact better deals were there but didn't offer as high of a commission to the garage.

No I get that and I totally understand why the FCA have made the ruling that they have but I guess my point is why does everything end up in compensation claims now. We cant just fine the wrong do'ers and be done with it. I would totally get it if there was something hidden in the contract that wasn't explained but I don't think this is the case with this one. It seems to be getting over looked that the people involved must have been happy with the deal they got at the time and if they weren't happy with the deal then why on earth did they sign up to it? 

Dean Winchester
44 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

No I get that and I totally understand why the FCA have made the ruling that they have but I guess my point is why does everything end up in compensation claims now. We cant just fine the wrong do'ers and be done with it. I would totally get it if there was something hidden in the contract that wasn't explained but I don't think this is the case with this one. It seems to be getting over looked that the people involved must have been happy with the deal they got at the time and if they weren't happy with the deal then why on earth did they sign up to it? 

Because people where mis sold? The DCA's where hidden and incentivised brokers to give a higher interest rate than the customer possibly should have been on. This won't have appeared on the contract as far as I'm aware.

RustyRightPeg
48 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

That's what mis-sold means 😂

jamb0_1874
1 minute ago, Dean Winchester said:

Because people where mis sold? The DCA's where hidden and incentivised brokers to give a higher interest rate than the customer possibly should have been on. This won't have appeared on the contract as far as I'm aware.

But how were they mis sold? The customer was surely told that the vehicle would cost X and they agreed to this and signed up, or am I missing something? 

Dean Winchester
1 minute ago, jamb0_1874 said:

But how were they mis sold? The customer was surely told that the vehicle would cost X and they agreed to this and signed up, or am I missing something? 

Say the finance company offer a 2.5% rate and a 3.5% rate. The 2.5% rate benefits the customer... The 3.5% rate has a DCA attached which benefits the dealership in the form of commission.

You get no sight of the 2.5% offer and accept the 3.5% as "it's the best they could do".

jamb0_1874
1 hour ago, Dean Winchester said:

Say the finance company offer a 2.5% rate and a 3.5% rate. The 2.5% rate benefits the customer... The 3.5% rate has a DCA attached which benefits the dealership in the form of commission.

You get no sight of the 2.5% offer and accept the 3.5% as "it's the best they could do".

So in this example the buyer was offered a rate of 3.5% even although there was a rate of 2.5% available to them but the dealer pushed the 3.5% as it benefited the dealer financial to do so?

Sooperstar
2 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

So in this example the buyer was offered a rate of 3.5% even although there was a rate of 2.5% available to them but the dealer pushed the 3.5% as it benefited the dealer financial to do so?

Yes, that's the whole point! 

jamb0_1874

Ok

So two people go into the same car dealership and they both buy identical cars, even the colour is the same. They both leave the dealership delighted with their purchases and are looking forward to driving them home and having it sit on their driveway however one of them paid £25k for the car and the other paid £23k. Was the person who paid 25k mid sold the car? 

jamb0_1874

Look I'm not saying that there was no wrong done here but is it correct to be handing out compensation to people who were happy to do these deals just because they could and maybe should have gotten an even better deal than the one they were already happy with! 

Good luck to everybody who capitalises on this but as I said for me it's just another example of the bonkers world we live in. 

Sooperstar
2 hours ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Look I'm not saying that there was no wrong done here but is it correct to be handing out compensation to people who were happy to do these deals just because they could and maybe should have gotten an even better deal than the one they were already happy with! 

Good luck to everybody who capitalises on this but as I said for me it's just another example of the bonkers world we live in. 

Quite a strange attitude to have towards the mis-selling of a financial product in a regulated sector. 

Dennis Reynolds

Ok

So two people go into the same car dealership and they both buy identical cars, even the colour is the same. They both leave the dealership delighted with their purchases and are looking forward to driving them home and having it sit on their driveway however one of them paid £25k for the car and the other paid £23k. Was the person who paid 25k mid sold the car? 

If the person who bought it for £25k wasn't told that it was actually available for £23k but was only buying it for £25k so the dealer could make extra commission with a finance deal then yes, they would have been misold.

People buying cars at different prices is not the same thing though.

jamb0_1874
13 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

If the person who bought it for £25k wasn't told that it was actually available for £23k but was only buying it for £25k so the dealer could make extra commission with a finance deal then yes, they would have been misold.

People buying cars at different prices is not the same thing though.

Am not sure how its any different tbh. In both circumstances the customer was happy with the deal they got while the seller made extra money on the deal. The joys of capitalism!

Dennis Reynolds
1 minute ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Am not sure how its any different tbh. In both circumstances the customer was happy with the deal they got while the seller made extra money on the deal. The joys of capitalism!

The customer would have been happier with the cheaper deal that was available though that they were not told about. 

29 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Car prices are not regulated where car finance is. Using your example it would be 2 people both with identical credit worthiness going to different dealerships and buying the exact same car at a list price of £25k, first guy gets an honest dealer who gives them the best finance rate available making the total cost of the car £28k. Second guy goes to a dodgy dealership who ignores the best rate in favour of getting a kickback and the total cost of the car becomes £30k, do you not think that the second guy has grounds to claim the £2k back from the dodgy dealership?

jamb0_1874
1 minute ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

The customer would have been happier with the cheaper deal that was available though that they were not told about. 

I dont disagree with that, we all want to pay the best price we can but I keep on coming back to the fact that the customers must have been happy with the deals at the time otherwise they wouldnt have done the deal.

Its a bit like the whole "diesel emissions scandal" I cant imagine the vast majority of these people wouldnt have bought these cars if the correct emissions data was presented to them. Yes fine the companies for doing wrong but do we really need to be handing out compenstation to the people who bought them. 

Dennis Reynolds
4 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

I dont disagree with that, we all want to pay the best price we can but I keep on coming back to the fact that the customers must have been happy with the deals at the time otherwise they wouldnt have done the deal.

You keep coming back to it because you seem to be completely missing the point. Whether or not the customer was 'happy' is irrelevant. 

jamb0_1874
Just now, Ribble said:

Car prices are not regulated where car finance is. Using your example it would be 2 people both with identical credit worthiness going to different dealerships and buying the exact same car at a list price of £25k, first guy gets an honest dealer who gives them the best finance rate available making the total cost of the car £28k. Second guy goes to a dodgy dealership who ignores the best rate in favour of getting a kickback and the total cost of the car becomes £30k, do you not think that the second guy has grounds to claim the £2k back from the dodgy dealership?

My point is the person that bought it knew he was getting it for a total price of £30k and was happy to do the deal. If they thought it would cost £28k and ended up costing £30k through something hidden in the small print that wasnt pointed out, then they have been mis sold and should be given compensation but that doesnt seem to be the case in this, they just never got given the opportunity to get the £28k deal but were happy with the deal they got and done the deal.

Just for the record am not saying they shouldnt have been offered the 28k deal but is it really the garages fault that they bought it at the higher rate. Its a bit like if I go to one shop and buy a tv for 1k you go to another shop and buy the exact same tv for £800 is that the fault of the shop that sold it to me at the higher price?

Dean Winchester
16 minutes ago, jamb0_1874 said:

Just for the record am not saying they shouldnt have been offered the 28k deal but is it really the garages fault that they bought it at the higher rate. Its a bit like if I go to one shop and buy a tv for 1k you go to another shop and buy the exact same tv for £800 is that the fault of the shop that sold it to me at the higher price?

Yes its the garages fault because the garage was able to set the interest rate themselves within a specific range and thats the problem... Knowing full well that setting it to the higher rate gives them a bigger commission and the customer doesn't know that a smaller interest rate is actually available.

Sooperstar

Its a bit like the whole "diesel emissions scandal" I cant imagine the vast majority of these people wouldnt have bought these cars if the correct emissions data was presented to them. Yes fine the companies for doing wrong but do we really need to be handing out compenstation to the people who bought them. 

The cars caught up on the diesel scandal are not worth as much as those customers paid for them. When they come to sell them, they'll be affected by that. Some vehicles had to be fixed to comply with emissions standards which then negatively impacted fuel efficiency - again a cost to the consumer.

How far does this go back ? I’d imagine tracking down old car registration numbers will be tricky. Like ppi not everyone was mis sold but will no doubt be trying to claim. 

Dean Winchester
21 minutes ago, Dazo said:

How far does this go back ? I’d imagine tracking down old car registration numbers will be tricky. Like ppi not everyone was mis sold but will no doubt be trying to claim. 

I haven't seen a limit the precondition just seems to be before January 2021.

If you don't have the documentation though you're probably going to be constrained by 7 years of records whether that's your bank statements, credit report or the financial firms records.

19 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

I haven't seen a limit the precondition just seems to be before January 2021.

If you don't have the documentation though you're probably going to be constrained by 7 years of records whether that's your bank statements, credit report or the financial firms records.

And I think that’s how the finance companies will try to get out of it. 

Dean Winchester

That's partly why I think Martin Lewis is asking people to put in Information requests now to get it in writing what agreements you had and whether FCA was applied on them so that you're not timed out of it.

Sooperstar
4 hours ago, Dazo said:

I've seen a date of 2007 as being the oldest possible. As has been said though if going that far back then you'll probably need to have your agreement details as firms only have to hold them for 6 years beyond the end of your agreement. 

3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I've seen a date of 2007 as being the oldest possible. As has been said though if going that far back then you'll probably need to have your agreement details as firms only have to hold them for 6 years beyond the end of your agreement. 

There will be a lot of people who don’t keep those sort of records. 

Psychedelicropcircle

My last was a 0% deal how much is in it for me😜

heartsfc_fan
1 hour ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

None. I've had a couple of 0%s aswell but can't claim, for obvious reasons

Armageddon
2 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Why are you posting on this thread if you have 0 interest?  😂😂😂😬😬😬

RustyRightPeg

Sent my enquiry into Blackhorse yesterday. Let's see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got any update with this? I didn't ever do the diesel claim one and haven't really gave this one a thought until now.

The Real Maroonblood
35 minutes ago, 151 said:

Anyone got any update with this? I didn't ever do the diesel claim one and haven't really gave this one a thought until now.

No update but according to Martin Lewis it will be September before any news.

Malinga the Swinga
On 07/02/2024 at 21:38, Ribble said:

Absolutely not. They aren't a dodgy dealership because price was more, maybe first one using as loss leader, or stock clearance was on. Only dodgy if they said car was price A but charged price B. That isn't the case, it's lazy consumers not shopping around. Take some personal responsibility for your actions and stop bleating like a child when you lose out.

Alternatively, every identical item in every different shop must be regulated and come in at same price or some poor wee lamb might spend more.

As for Martin Lewis, guy gets paid fortune for adding nothing to anything. A presenter for the terminally stupid and gullible.

Dennis Reynolds
25 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Absolutely not. They aren't a dodgy dealership because price was more, maybe first one using as loss leader, or stock clearance was on. Only dodgy if they said car was price A but charged price B. That isn't the case, it's lazy consumers not shopping around. Take some personal responsibility for your actions and stop bleating like a child when you lose out.

Alternatively, every identical item in every different shop must be regulated and come in at same price or some poor wee lamb might spend more.

As for Martin Lewis, guy gets paid fortune for adding nothing to anything. A presenter for the terminally stupid and gullible.

Honestly impressive how you can be so confidently wrong about nearly everything you post on here.