McKinlay Update

Gorgie_Rules

Gorgie_Rules

Just shared by Hearts:

https://x.com/jamtarts/status/1748034481045319923?s=46&t=U8GaTmHTLzTZTPfLZX3GnQ

Won’t be breaking wage structures to keep Shankland due to other agents finding out the value and demanding more for their players. No offers for him yet.

The update generally, along with the snippet shared does not fill me with confidence of any contract renewal. Sounds very much like the ground work being laid to say ‘we did all we could’. Hopefully wrong but don’t feel that any sort of update was required at this point.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• kingantti1874

• rudi must stay

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I look at these things and think ‘what else is he going to say’. With Beni and other players contracts running down he’s not going to come out and say “we are ready to break tha bank for Lawrence”. 

Nothing wrong with the interview but I took nothing from it at all. Very easy questions and all very positive. Just a PR exercise, which is fine.

kingantti1874

So weak. Other agents can find out all they want they have to deliver on the pitch otherwise they can **** off.

i get the feeling McKinley knows **** all about football. Here’s a clue Andrew.  Stop filling the squad with useless dross and focus on retaining the real talent.

tbh.  He shouldn’t be doing any interviews right now of this type. 

Edited by kingantti1874

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

So weak. Other agents can find out all they want they have to deliver on the pitch otherwise they can **** off.

i get the feeling McKinley knows **** all about football. Here’s a clue Andrew.  Stop filling the squad with useless dross and focus on retaining the real talent.

Golf and tennis 🎾 

Mr Sifter

A wee PR video, giving his thoughts on what’s happening at Tynie. Didn’t find anything wrong with it, and certainly didn’t get any impressions that AM “doesn’t get fitbaw”. 

We are always looking for more communication from the club, they’ve said they’re gonnae do these wee things every quarter…how can people only see the negatives in these things sometimes? 

Damned if they do n aw that…🙄

Selkirkhmfc1874

I've been critical of him but thought that was good interview and he spoke well

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Interview deleted 

🤣 who’d have thought it eh!

probably best not to talk about ongoing negotiations with our top players when ongoing. Either it’s true and he’s actively advertising shanks or he’s talking shit, and eventually will be called out on it.

my god who stupid are these people. RB needs to have a word with himself as well if he’s genuinely one off the few pro hearts journos

Edited by kingantti1874

Gorgie_Rules

Interview deleted on YouTube and posted on Twitter saying ‘coming soon’.

kingantti1874

It’s not the words it’s the timing. seems they have seen sense and taken it down

JimmyCant
16 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Correct. I can’t think of a weaker position to take than to publicly enforce our wage structures and say we’re not breaking it. That means the standard of future signings remains where it is now. It’s not a good place to be IMO

gnasher75

I am always keen for more communication from the club but coming out with this about our wage structure is madness. Should simply say Shankland is under contract and won't be going anywhere unless we get a crazy offer. Negotiate with him behind the scenes but say nothing until there's something concrete to say.

KyleLafferty
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s not the words it’s the timing. seems they have seen sense and taken it down

They’ve took it down as it kept on pausing during the video.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

then previous comments apply. Idiotic interview and an idiotic position to state publicly 

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

exactly, nothing sinister or they have panicked and deleted it. Just a faulty video which we are going to fix then put back up.

Only seen the clip released and I do think its not McKinlay saying they are not going to pay a sizeable offer, just him trying to explain how they have to weigh up everything and the other risks can giving a huge contract can have on the club. 

KyleLafferty
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

then previous comments apply. Idiotic interview and an idiotic position to state publicly 

I think you are majorly overreacting, comes across as if you don’t like the guy which devalues your opinion if it comes from an area of dislike.

He’s just stating we aren’t going to be paying Shankland whatever he wants and we’ve offered him a good deal, also he’s right. If it’s public what we have offered Shankland, future player trading will be difficult as that will be the base wage. 

hughesie27

Its funny how reading through this thread before watching the interview painted a picture of what Mckinlay said and how that picture is completely different when you actually see it and listen to the words that come out his mouth.

If anyone can have an issue with anything he said in that clip then they must be hearing something I am deaf to.

The crux of his point is basically "we will not pay Lawrence Shankland whatever he wants".

Edited by hughesie27

chrisyboy7
39 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Just shared by Hearts:

https://x.com/jamtarts/status/1748034481045319923?s=46&t=U8GaTmHTLzTZTPfLZX3GnQ

Won’t be breaking wage structures to keep Shankland due to other agents finding out the value and demanding more for their players. No offers for him yet.

The update generally, along with the snippet shared does not fill me with confidence of any contract renewal. Sounds very much like the ground work being laid to say ‘we did all we could’. Hopefully wrong but don’t feel that any sort of update was required at this point.

The agents will fk his career

Bull's-eye

Just watched it on Pusbook.

Says absolutely nothing untoward so getting your pants in a frilly over that one is bairn behaviour at its finest.

Usual suspects will of course hoy the Teddy oot the pram as is the norm.

hughesie27
1 minute ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Whats his agent advising him bud?

3 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

I think you are majorly overreacting, comes across as if you don’t like the guy which devalues your opinion if it comes from an area of dislike.

He’s just stating we aren’t going to be paying Shankland whatever he wants and we’ve offered him a good deal, also he’s right. If it’s public what we have offered Shankland, future player trading will be difficult as that will be the base wage. 

Agree to a large extent but the last sentence is a bit off. I don’t think what we are paying our best goal scorer since Robbo would be regarded as a base wage for many new signings. 

2 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

His agents can hardly go wrong. He’s got one big pay rise or one big move on the biggest wage of his career ahead of him. 

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Just watched it on Pusbook.

Says absolutely nothing untoward so getting your pants in a frilly over that one is bairn behaviour at its finest.

Usual suspects will of course hoy the Teddy oot the pram as is the norm.

He seems a good guy. Cares about the club a great deal

Daveandal

Very good interview.

Anyone with an issue really needs to have a word with themselves.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
33 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

:spoton:

I quite like Jorge grant - if his agent has the audacity to demand a bit more - “**** off Jorge”

followed up by an email to everyone bar shankland Craig Gordon and possibly frankie Kent  - “if your agent enquires for more cash please obtain a photocopy of our answer to Jorge Grant”

that’s not to say we should go daft to keep shankland but everyone else is (or should be with an ounce of acumen) very replaceable

assuming it’s not a double-bluff it’s like an open invite to the big hun to take him away

Jackhmfc1348

“Won’t be breaking the wage structure“ means nothing 

we already know the contract would make him our highest paid player in over 10 years 

rudi must stay

I think Shankland initially didn't care about our offer. That's what I get from it, doesn't want to be here that's fine cash in and move on 

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

not at all. I consistently defended the board.  As I say not the words it’s the timing that’s irked me. Release this interview on Feb 1st

Hearts1975

It says specifically this is the first of many more supporter updates from the CEO. Coupled with the FOH coaches evening the other night. 

As I recollect AM was previously getting pelters for tucking into kebabs and not updating anyone on anyone or anything 

The 2 things above may just be connected. 

Contract negotiations are on-going with Shanks. If he says we will pay Shanks what he wants, if we have already made our best offer, then the agent would watch the video, then immediately bin the existing offer, and come back and ask for double the money 

Not something worth losing sleep over. I don't personally think he did anything wrong ..... He is a typical CEO and talks like a typical CEO. This is years and years of working in a corporate environment where he is told to show no weakness in front of the cameras 

Don't think it's because the players actual worth has went way above his brain cells because he doesn't understand fitba. 

Edited by Hearts1975

absolutely nothing wrong with that, gives me the impression that we have offered him a very good contract, without going so far that it would hinder any future signings

2 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

It says specifically this is the first of many more supporter updates from the CEO. Coupled with the FOH coaches evening the other night. 

As I recollect AM was previously getting pelters for tucking into kebabs and not updating anyone on anyone or anything 

The 2 things above may just be connected. 

Contract negotiations are on-going with Shanks. If he says we will pay Shanks what he wants, if we have already made our best offer, then the agent would watch the video, then immediately bin the existing offer, and come back and ask for double the money 

Not something worth losing sleep over. I don't personally think he did anything wrong ..... He is a typical CEO and talks like a typical CEO. This is years and years of working in a corporate environment where he is told to show no weakness in front of the cameras 

Don't think it's because the players actual worth has went way above his brain cells because he doesn't understand fitba. 

Great post. Very balanced 

rudi must stay

To be honest it doesn't show much optimism to me. Why February the 1st why not till the end of his career. And 3rd we are not there far off 2nd 

Dalstonjambo
15 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

assuming it’s not a double-bluff it’s like an open invite to the big hun to take him away

You’re going to need to explain this part to me?

44 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I really enjoyed the interview. Found it fairly informative, and although we're never going to gets nitty gritty details, it was a good watch nonetheless. 

I have my issues with Andrew McKinley, don't get me wrong - basically all of it revolve around his position on the referees. The very fact Neilson came out with the "Glasgow Blink" comment, and various other managers have publically made comments around not expecting to get decisions at Parkhead/Ibrox, speaks to a serious issue amongst the refereeing body. It needs to be tackled, and even stepping away from allegations of bias, having so many referees (almost ALL) coming from the West Coast isn't good enough and doesn't promote a feeling of parity. If McKinley and the board at large could show some meaningful leadership on this, it would absolutely reassure me. 

I'm all for more of these updates, but thats the AGM and now the FOH event where fans have asked questions about the reliance by the SFA exclusively on West Coast referees. Clearly there is a feeling within the fan base which McKinley is willfully ignoring. Being out of step with the fans on this isn't a good look and comes off as looking the other way. We all know the Haring penalty would never in a million years had been given the other way around. We deserve officials whose integrity is beyond reproach. 

My reading of the situation on Shanklands contract seems to be that we're at the hope and pray stage that he'll agree to extend. Which isn't good, and certainly worries me. On his view that giving Shanks a huge extension as many are crying out for and the long term impact, I see what he's saying, but Shanks like Rudi or Robbo are once in a generation talents. Any player or agent trying to put themselves on equal footing with him are delusional. It does pose an interesting question on how the club tackle this, but plenty of clubs have that special talent on terms that exceed the rest of the squad - Hibs obviously have Boyle on big money, Levitt too (for some reason :D), Clarkson at Aberdeen likely also on a fat wedge. Christ, the MLS has a "Designated player" rule for exactly this. IMO securing Shanks future here is more important than potentially setting a precedent. Beyond that, in the least emotional way possible, every other player is replaceable. Not a nice thing to say, but Shanks is almost worth whatever gets him to put pen to paper. 

Malinga the Swinga
14 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I think Shankland initially didn't care about our offer. That's what I get from it, doesn't want to be here that's fine cash in and move on 

Well, you seem to be in the absolute minority. No indication Shankland doesn't want to be here at all, you have completely made that up.

rudi must stay
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well, you seem to be in the absolute minority. No indication Shankland doesn't want to be here at all, you have completely made that up.

Well why hasnt he signed then 

adambraejambo

Only thing that annoyed me was him calling Celtic and Rangers  the old firm. Apart from that was OK but didn't tell us anything we didn't know. Questions were definitely agreed beforehand. Nothing wrong with that but next time have a group of fans interview him for 20 mins. Make it live as well lol. 

Malinga the Swinga
19 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

:spoton:

I quite like Jorge grant - if his agent has the audacity to demand a bit more - “**** off Jorge”

followed up by an email to everyone bar shankland Craig Gordon and possibly frankie Kent  - “if your agent enquires for more cash please obtain a photocopy of our answer to Jorge Grant”

that’s not to say we should go daft to keep shankland but everyone else is (or should be with an ounce of acumen) very replaceable

It is nothing like an open invite to anyone to take him away.

Folk seriously need to listen to what's being said, not what they think is being said.

20 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

The problem he faces is there isnt exactly a stampede for his signature.

He is In the form of his life and not one club has enquired if you believe McKinley. 

This could blow up in Lawrence's face very quickly if he goes of the boil.

If our offer is circa 8/10k I'm amazed he hasn't banked that tbh.

Agent no doubt filling his head with nonsense.  

Edited by ramrod

David McCaig
25 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Agree to a large extent but the last sentence is a bit off. I don’t think what we are paying our best goal scorer since Robbo would be regarded as a base wage for many new signings. 

I agree and if Liam Boyce wants the same wage as Shankland all he has to do is bang in 30 goals per season!!

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, rudi must stay said:

Well why hasnt he signed then 

Because he's negotiating a contract that has 18 months to go. It's called being a professional.

rudi must stay
Just now, ramrod said:

The problem he faces is there isnt exactly a stampede for his signature.

He is In the form of his life and not one club has inquired if you believe McKinley. 

This could blow up in Lawrence's face very quickly if he goes of the boil.

If our offer is circa 8/10k I'm amazed he hasn't banked that tbh.

Agent no doubt fulling his hear with nonsense. 

It's just a feeling but I think it's about £6000

johnking123
Just now, rudi must stay said:

It's just a feeling but I think it's about £6000

Recon about 9k. We paid that for Naismith and Lafferty  

rudi must stay
Just now, johnking123 said:

Recon about 9k. We paid that for Naismith and Lafferty  

Interesting. I remember Jankauskas was on £10k

Thought it was a decent interview.

I accept we can’t just pay Shankland whatever he or his agent wants and it may also be a calculated line seeing as an offer is currently on the table - but the comments about other agents/players behaviour is a little concerning to me.

Shankland has carried a fair few in this squad. If Shankland doesn’t sign, I really hope it’s because we took our offers as far as we could financially, not because we showed restraint based on hypotheticals around what other players/agents might do or say.

The club has spoken so much about progression, the next level and how to get there. Well breaking your current wage structure and tying down a 25+ goals a season striker is an obvious way to start.

gordiegords

Not saying anyone is saying this but you canny have players go in the huff cause Shanks has been offered a bumper deal 😆

Atkinson to our CEO “aye well I’ve hear about the new wage for shanks and now i want that too” 😅

I like Atkinson btw but you get my point.

Bull's-eye

Tenner a week payrise and a 10% discount at the clubstore is the deal offered according to my impeccable source.

He'll obviously be signing the extension pretty soon.