Mobile Phone Help, Burst Screen.

Dawnrazor

Dawnrazor

I dropped my phone last week, it fell screen down onto a tiled floor, the screen isn't ceacked but over the last week, the screen has gone almost completely black, I've not been able to work it at all.

My wife has tried to retrieve the info from via the laptop but no files can be found.

If I get the screen replaced, will I loose the data on it?, not everything was backed up.

Will the phone be damaged beyond the screen?

TIA.

Dawnrazor
4 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

You will keep all your data. 

I'll keep all the data if it's done in a shop, you know the shops on the high st that do phones and laptops?

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'll keep all the data if it's done in a shop, you know the shops on the high st that do phones and laptops?

Yeah, I had mine done before xmas. Just make sure they dont use a cheap screen it can make typing a nightmare.

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, Herbert. said:

Yeah, I had mine done before xmas. Just make sure they dont use a cheap screen it can make typing a nightmare.

Cheers, it'll be about £120 for a new screen but the phones only about a year old.

hughesie27

Fixing the screen won't erase any data but I'd be concerned that when plugged into a PC it is saying as no files to be found already. May be that the drop has corrupted the memory. Was it working normally until the screen died after the drop, pictures etc all still there?

Dawnrazor
Just now, hughesie27 said:

Fixing the screen won't erase any data but I'd be concerned that when plugged into a PC it is saying as no files to be found already. May be that the drop has corrupted the memory. Was it working normally until the screen died after the drop, pictures etc all still there?

It was working fine, aye, I can't see if everything is still as the touch bit isn't working so I can't get into it.

6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It was working fine, aye, I can't see if everything is still as the touch bit isn't working so I can't get into it.

If you've a Google account and photos etc are linked you can retrieve them there .

Dawnrazor
Just now, kila said:

What kind of phone is it?

Sony L4.

10 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Do you not need to give permission first?

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, Ked said:

If you've a Google account and photos etc are linked you can retrieve them there .

Mrs Dawnrazor is on woth that now but all my photos done seem to be there, and I'm wondering about WhatsApp' and Emails?

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Sony L4.

What capacity? Amazon have the 64GB model for £160, so £120 for the new screen is quite a lot.

Is your data on an SD card or the internal memory?

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, kila said:

What capacity? Amazon have the 64GB model for £160, so £120 for the new screen is quite a lot.

Is your data on an SD card or the internal memory?

I'd happily get a new phone but its the info on the old one I'm worried about.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'd happily get a new phone but its the info on the old one I'm worried about.

All those memes you've not been able to post? :ninja:

Dawnrazor
1 minute ago, kila said:

All those memes you've not been able to post? :ninja:

🤣🤣 seriously, that's a conern!!

Dawnrazor

I've taken the sim card and memory card out of the damaged phone and put them into an old Samsung, there's no emails or WhatsApps between March, when I got my new phone, and Thursday last week, when I put them into the old phone, so I'm presuming they're stored on the phone?

Edited by Dawnrazor

33 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've taken the sim card and memory card out of the damaged phone and put them into an old Samsung, there's no emails or WhatsApps between March, when I got my new phone, and Thursday last week, when I put them into the old phone, so I'm presuming they're stored on the phone?

Are you in Edinburgh? Guy at Gilmerton fixes my kids phones all the time. Black screen of death 

£60/70 for an iPhone 13

Never had any issues with him

Dawnrazor
3 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Are you in Edinburgh? Guy at Gilmerton fixes my kids phones all the time. Black screen of death 

£60/70 for an iPhone 13

Never had any issues with him

Unfortunately I'm in Lancashire.

hughesie27
1 hour ago, Ked said:

Do you not need to give permission first?

Yeah sometimes. Probably the case here given it seemed to work fine initially.

WhatsApp messages will be backed up provided you have that set up so you should be able to retrieve them when you swap the sim to a new card.

Dawnrazor
5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Yeah sometimes. Probably the case here given it seemed to work fine initially.

WhatsApp messages will be backed up provided you have that set up so you should be able to retrieve them when you swap the sim to a new card.

I've taken the sim card and memory card out of the damaged phone and put them into an old Samsung, there's no emails or WhatsApps between March, when I got my new phone, and Thursday last week, when I put them into the old phone, so I'm presuming they're stored on the phone?

hughesie27
35 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've taken the sim card and memory card out of the damaged phone and put them into an old Samsung, there's no emails or WhatsApps between March, when I got my new phone, and Thursday last week, when I put them into the old phone, so I'm presuming they're stored on the phone?

Emails will be stored in whatever email account you have, not just on the phone.

And as I said, the whatsapps will be backed up IF you had your phone set up to automatically back up on a regular basis (mines does it every night at 2am or so).

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Emails will be stored in whatever email account you have, not just on the phone.

And as I said, the whatsapps will be backed up IF you had your phone set up to automatically back up on a regular basis (mines does it every night at 2am or so).

I don’t think I did have the WhatsApp backing up automatically, if I did, would they not be on the sim memory card that's in this old phone?

Dawnrazor

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, really appreciated as I'm ****in useless with this kind of technology, but I can lift heavy things and kill stuff!

hughesie27
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I don’t think I did have the WhatsApp backing up automatically, if I did, would they not be on the sim memory card that's in this old phone?

No you'd be able to redownload them from the cloud when you set up WhatsApp on the new phone with the old sim.

For what it's worth though given the phone was working g fine till the screen finally packed in I'd assume all your stuff is still retrievable once you manage to either fix the screen or get it connected to a PC successfully.

Edited by hughesie27

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

No you'd be able to redownload them from the cloud when you set up WhatsApp on the new phone with the old sim.

For what it's worth though given the phone was working g fine till the screen finally packed in I'd assume all your stuff is still retrievable once you manage to either fix the screen or get it connected to a PC successfully.

👍

4 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

It'll be because you usually have to enable mass storage or USB transfer mode when you plug it into a PC, usually by accepting a prompt on the screen. I would bet almost everything that the phone is trying to show that, but with the buggered screen makes it impossible.  Solid state storage is very resilient to drops and bumps. 

Until that prompt is pressed, you'll not get any files displaying :thumbsup:

The stuff will be there @Dawnrazor, you're just not able to give the laptop permission to see the files.  A new screen will sort it right out. 

Dawnrazor
9 hours ago, tian447 said:

It'll be because you usually have to enable mass storage or USB transfer mode when you plug it into a PC, usually by accepting a prompt on the screen. I would bet almost everything that the phone is trying to show that, but with the buggered screen makes it impossible.  Solid state storage is very resilient to drops and bumps. 

The stuff will be there @Dawnrazor, you're just not able to give the laptop permission to see the files.  A new screen will sort it right out. 

Cheers👍

CostaJambo
9 hours ago, tian447 said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, is there any way to give the laptop permission to access the phone files without replacing the screen? I have the same issue on an old Android phone which is not worth the cost of replacing the screen on but I would still like to access the photos on it if possible (no backup or cloud, old man).

hughesie27
23 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, is there any way to give the laptop permission to access the phone files without replacing the screen? I have the same issue on an old Android phone which is not worth the cost of replacing the screen on but I would still like to access the photos on it if possible (no backup or cloud, old man).

If the touchscreen part still works you could try and aim for where the accept button is on the screen...

1 hour ago, CostaJambo said:

I can't guarantee this will work, mainly because I haven't used AirDroid for years and they have probably changed it (or probably make you pay for it now!), but you could give it a go and see how you get on:

https://www.airdroid.com/download/airdroid-cast/

You should be able to install that on the PC, connect your phone via USB and cast the screen to your PC without needing to accept any prompts on the screen.  That is, if it still works like it used to.   

If it works, use the PC screen cast to enable USB debugging mode by going into settings and finding the build number in your software settings.  It should be somewhere like Settings > About Phone > Software Info. 

Tap the build number 7 times (I know this sounds like I'm talking bollocks :lol: ) and it should pop up with a message saying "You are now a developer".  Your settings should now have an option near the bottom called Developer Options where you can enable something called USB Debugging.

Then disconnect the Airdroid cast, unplug the phone and plug it back in.  It should then let you access the files without doing any of the screen replacement stuff. 

If it works :whistling:

Dawnrazor
2 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

Good point.

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Good point.

See above :thumbsup:

CostaJambo
3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

If the touchscreen part still works you could try and aim for where the accept button is on the screen...

Thanks hughesie, I should've mentioned that the screen prompts are no longer visible.

Thanks also to @tian447 I will get my IT Consultant to give that a try (when he gets home from school) 😉.

132goals1958

Did something similar. Took it to Hex at Tollcross .Got it back same day like new

crunchy frog
On 17/01/2024 at 12:04, tian447 said:

I can't guarantee this will work, mainly because I haven't used AirDroid for years and they have probably changed it (or probably make you pay for it now!), but you could give it a go and see how you get on:

https://www.airdroid.com/download/airdroid-cast/

You should be able to install that on the PC, connect your phone via USB and cast the screen to your PC without needing to accept any prompts on the screen.  That is, if it still works like it used to.   

If it works, use the PC screen cast to enable USB debugging mode by going into settings and finding the build number in your software settings.  It should be somewhere like Settings > About Phone > Software Info. 

Tap the build number 7 times (I know this sounds like I'm talking bollocks :lol: ) and it should pop up with a message saying "You are now a developer".  Your settings should now have an option near the bottom called Developer Options where you can enable something called USB Debugging.

Then disconnect the Airdroid cast, unplug the phone and plug it back in.  It should then let you access the files without doing any of the screen replacement stuff. 

If it works :whistling:

Thats a really useful post. Thank you. 

The screen on my old phone  died and I can't access any of the data on it, this might be just the ticket.

Who said kickback is full of arseholes? 😃

Dawnrazor

New screen fitted, no lost data, £120, complaint sent to EE and an insurance claim made, all in all a good result. 

Thanks for the replies, hopefully the answers will be of help to others 👍 

hughesie27
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

New screen fitted, no lost data, £120, complaint sent to EE and an insurance claim made, all in all a good result. 

Thanks for the replies, hopefully the answers will be of help to others 👍 

What did EE do for the complaint?

Dawnrazor
4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

What did EE do for the complaint?

I had insurance with an excess of 70 quid, I went into the store in Lancaster, told them about the screen not working and that I can't retrieve any data, they told me that getting the screen replaced would mean I'd loose all the data that wasn't backed up, the store manager said they could get all the data from my broken phone and get it into the new phone, clear the old phone and send it back to ee, it was agreed the new phone was to be delivered to the Lancaster store, they'd let me know when it arrived, I'd go in, the data transfer would be done, Bob's your Uncle, this was the Wednesday I think, I was told the new phone would arrive without 48 hours.

After a week of hearing nothing, I phoned the store, I was told that phones wouldn't be delivered to a store, turns out the phone had been delivered to the store but no one would sign for it and it was sent back, nobody informed me. So, all in all it's just been a real mix up and no communication between ee, the insurers and DPP. I spoke to the help line and was advised I could claim the extra 50 quid for the new screen but I'd have to go through a complaint system. 

hughesie27
13 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I had insurance with an excess of 70 quid, I went into the store in Lancaster, told them about the screen not working and that I can't retrieve any data, they told me that getting the screen replaced would mean I'd loose all the data that wasn't backed up, the store manager said they could get all the data from my broken phone and get it into the new phone, clear the old phone and send it back to ee, it was agreed the new phone was to be delivered to the Lancaster store, they'd let me know when it arrived, I'd go in, the data transfer would be done, Bob's your Uncle, this was the Wednesday I think, I was told the new phone would arrive without 48 hours.

After a week of hearing nothing, I phoned the store, I was told that phones wouldn't be delivered to a store, turns out the phone had been delivered to the store but no one would sign for it and it was sent back, nobody informed me. So, all in all it's just been a real mix up and no communication between ee, the insurers and DPP. I spoke to the help line and was advised I could claim the extra 50 quid for the new screen but I'd have to go through a complaint system. 

Sounds a right faff.

There's no reason functional they'd have to clear the phone to replace the screen as well. 

Dawnrazor
9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Sounds a right faff.

There's no reason functional they'd have to clear the phone to replace the screen as well. 

It was, to be fair, the two people I was dealing with at the ee store in Lancaster were brilliant, they were gettinf duff info from the ee helpline and there was no communication between staff at the store, all it would have taked was for someone to be told to sign for Mr Dawnrazor's phone when it arrivedand that wouldn've been that.

Edited by Dawnrazor

Dawnrazor
9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Yep, but I didn't know that at the time, when a manager of a mobile phone shop tell you the data would be lost, when you know bugger all about mobile phones, you believe them 🤷‍♂️

hughesie27
27 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Yep, but I didn't know that at the time, when a manager of a mobile phone shop tell you the data would be lost, when you know bugger all about mobile phones, you believe them 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a policy of just wiping all phones with major repairs purely to cover their arses if they break the phone further.

Edited by hughesie27