Evening with the coaches

washniklaw

If Naismith is changing his tactics to appease a bunch of randoms on a Hearts forum, he needs launched ASAP. 

Luckily, I don't believe he does. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• dannymack

• Sooks

• Agentjambo

Oda be a JT
3 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

Think some of our coaches think we are Man City with the playing out from the back fad malarkey! We don't have enough players comfortable on the ball for that, if they were they wouldn't be anywhere near us!

Don’t post many positive comment do you!

Maybe you do, but of late I have noticed a lot are negative?

5 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Not much we could have done about Doig. We had two good young full backs (him and Hickey) and there wasn't room for both of them so he had to leave to get game time. There was no way we could have kept both of them so we quite simply had to make a choice.

We definitely made the correct choice in backing Hickey. He was (and still is - by a long, long way) the better player. 

Doig was also an option in central defence if I remember correctly.

Hickey might be the better player but the decision to let Doig go has cost us a lot of money. He has/is making our main rivals a fortune.

15 minutes ago, Oda be a JT said:

Don’t post many positive comment do you!

Maybe you do, but of late I have noticed a lot are negative?

I prefer to think constructive rather than through rose tinted glasses. No mention of if you agree at all with anything? Are we world beaters or mostly journeymen.....go on have a view!

5 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Doig.

Doig left Hearts as he was playing second fiddle to Arron Hickey.   Hearts tried to get him to move position but choose to leave Hearts knowing he would not displace Hickey

Batistuta87
20 minutes ago, Pilmuir said:

Doig was also an option in central defence if I remember correctly.

Hickey might be the better player but the decision to let Doig go has cost us a lot of money. He has/is making our main rivals a fortune.

Was out of our hands. He left because we couldn't give him the game time ahead of Hickey. It's not something the club should be held accountable for. 

1 hour ago, Jambo61 said:

but you explain why we work the ball back from the half way line then hump it aimlessly forward from the goalie..to the half way line

We dont. What madness is this . Are we back in 2018

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

We dont. What madness is this . Are we back in 2018

Right! Could be any year your making up! Try specsavers!

LarrysRightFoot
2 hours ago, goader said:

Doig left Hearts as he was playing second fiddle to Arron Hickey.   Hearts tried to get him to move position but choose to leave Hearts knowing he would not displace Hickey

And now Hickey is a right back…

Oda be a JT
2 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

I prefer to think constructive rather than through rose tinted glasses. No mention of if you agree at all with anything? Are we world beaters or mostly journeymen.....go on have a view!

I don’t agree completely no, I don’t think we are bad as we were in recent seasons with regards playing about at the back.

I see progress in the last couple of months, I tend not to dwell on the past too much when it comes to Hearts…yes all is great with wins and points, style maybe not as exciting as we would all want but points are the target then performances but I think we’re getting there.

RustyRightPeg
3 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

Do you watch the games in a Time Machine?

10 minutes ago, Oda be a JT said:

I don’t agree completely no, I don’t think we are bad as we were in recent seasons with regards playing about at the back.

I see progress in the last couple of months, I tend not to dwell on the past too much when it comes to Hearts…yes all is great with wins and points, style maybe not as exciting as we would all want but points are the target then performances but I think we’re getting there.

We are better at the back and Clark is a competent goalie, great shot stopper. But not commanding. Playing out is generally slow, ponderous and next to no one shows for a pass, so they get blamed for not being very good at passing/ start to look jittery! The midfield is almost always short of 1 for me. We are better balanced on the left than the right, so Atkinson gets the blame. We've signed 3 guys up front that are whippets, but expect them to be midfielders in the main. Hardly give them anything to work off up front as we are short of vision/ quality in midfield. Without Shankland we are fecked up front. We are light of real options thereafter. Has Naisy steaded the ship...yes....are we much better than the hobos or sheep, not really, depends on the day. Are we catching the huns....no! I'm a fan.....some are fanatics..some are just ******s!

2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Nah.......I use my eyes, shame you can't!

3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

We are better at the back and Clark is a competent goalie, great shot stopper. But not commanding. Playing out is generally slow, ponderous and next to no one shows for a pass, so they get blamed for not being very good at passing/ start to look jittery! The midfield is almost always short of 1 for me. We are better balanced on the left than the right, so Atkinson gets the blame. We've signed 3 guys up front that are whippets, but expect them to be midfielders in the main. Hardly give them anything to work off up front as we are short of vision/ quality in midfield. Without Shankland we are fecked up front. We are light of real options thereafter. Has Naisy steaded the ship...yes....are we much better than the hobos or sheep, not really, depends on the day. Are we catching the huns....no! I'm a fan.....some are fanatics..some are just ******s! I'll guess your a distant 3rd!

18 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

I can't think of anyone we have released recently that has benefited from 'a more relaxed regime with less expectations' and then really kicked on?

Nah, there's not really been anyone. But doesn't mean that couldn't happen in the future.

21 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Did anyone end up getting exposed then?

:oohmatron: And did they get strung up by the Bongo? 

3 hours ago, Rick James said:

Nah, there's not really been anyone. But doesn't mean that couldn't happen in the future.

Means no real mistakes then if Doig is excluded as suggested by another!

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
On 18/01/2024 at 09:50, Walter Kidd said:

Thanks for pointing that out Mourinho.  I take it your application got lost in the post when Robbie got sacked?

Do you disagree though?

dannymack
20 hours ago, Jambo61 said:

Think some of our coaches think we are Man City with the playing out from the back fad malarkey! We don't have enough players comfortable on the ball for that, if they were they wouldn't be anywhere near us!

So what's the alternative solution ? 

At least they're trying something relatively new, other clubs worldwide have been using this tactic regardless of the price on the head of the defender (and ability). 

Hearts fans are definitely the fickle of the fickle, constantly moaning about boring negative football, the second a new style of play is introduced to the field of play then it's questioned without given it a chance. 

Look I know what your saying, some players find it tough, some don't but I'd rather this way than the hoof up the park giving the opposition more chance of possession.

dannymack
14 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Good old 1970s style of play... bring it back... Crash Bang Wallop ! GOAAAAAL !

Just now, dannymack said:

So what's the alternative solution ? 

At least they're trying something relatively new, other clubs worldwide have been using this tactic regardless of the price on the head of the defender (and ability). 

Hearts fans are definitely the fickle of the fickle, constantly moaning about boring negative football, the second a new style of play is introduced to the field of play then it's questioned without given it a chance. 

Look I know what your saying, some players find it tough, some don't but I'd rather this way than the hoof up the park giving the opposition more chance of possession.

Mate the entire english premier league follow this fad slavishly, their players cost a fortune more than ours and hardly any of them are comfortable doing it! Obviously it has its place.....its just not the be all and end all!

1 minute ago, dannymack said:

Good old 1970s style of play... bring it back... Crash Bang Wallop ! GOAAAAAL !

Name just once I've said crash bang wallop walloper!

dannymack
Just now, Jambo61 said:

Name just once I've said crash bang wallop walloper!

No thats me describing the 1970s style of play not to forget those glorious lush football pitches that enhanced the flow of the crash bang wallop ! Goaaaal !!! style. 

dannymack
3 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Mate the entire english premier league follow this fad slavishly, their players cost a fortune more than ours and hardly any of them are comfortable doing it! Obviously it has its place.....its just not the be all and end all!

Remember when the pass back rule was introduced ? 

One of the best keepers I've ever witnessed couldn't handle it, we actually benefitted from it twice because of him, it was a case of tough luck pal you need to adapt, the rule has been implemented but it didnt make him a bad keeper over night. 

If we're playing out from the back surely the defenders need to practice, practice and practice until they are capable of receiving and playing out ?

The keeper I'm on about had to take his abilities to the next level to adapt to the pass back rule. 

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

I'd question what games you watch. 99% of players in the prem are comfy on the ball these days with the 1% usually being goalies.

4 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Remember when the pass back rule was introduced ? 

One of the best keepers I've ever witnessed couldn't handle it, we actually benefitted from it twice because of him, it was a case of tough luck pal you need to adapt, the rule has been implemented but it didnt make him a bad keeper over night. 

If we're playing out from the back surely the defenders need to practice, practice and practice until they are capable of receiving and playing out ?

The keeper I'm on about had to take his abilities to the next level to adapt to the pass back rule. 

Aye but to learn to play it out you also need options....how bad are our midfield for hiding? It's a team game or you end up looking bad even when not really at fault. We do it too much and most often to no effect, the other team sits in and says now what! As for goalies....that muppet at the tic is a total overconfident bomb scare!

4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I'd question what games you watch. 99% of players in the prem are comfy on the ball these days with the 1% usually being goalies.

Thank God no one questions what you watch....do you go round in circles always being right?

RustyRightPeg
6 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Thank God no one questions what you watch....do you go round in circles always being right?

No, but if you watch the English Premier League and think that players aren't comfortable on the ball then I don't quite know what you'd class as that...

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
On 18/01/2024 at 10:11, dtgj said:

Won us a point surely? We were getting overrun in midfield before moving Cochrane. Lucky the disallowed goal in the first minute was marginally offside. 

The mistake was the starting line up, which he corrected by moving Cochrane. Learning from mistakes, even within the same game, is good. 

We dominated possession, were not getting overrun in the middle, created pretty good chances and were looking likely to break through and win the game. We moved Cochrane in field before half time, we then concede the 2 goals and look miles out of the game until he brings on Kinglsey to reestablish width on that side. Then we turn the game around and get a point. Would've been three if he had left Cochrane out there or brought on Kingsley when he brought Cochrane inside.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
20 hours ago, dannymack said:

Did you boo at half time and leave the ground when we went 0-2 down ? 

Just asking 

Do you disagree that we struggled to put together attacks and looked disjointed after bringing Cochrane inside, and then looked far better when bringing on Kingsley?

I give him credit for correcting his mistake in game and salvaging a point, but we should have had 3 easily. That's all I'm saying. I like Naismith and hope he comes good. I'm sure he's delighted you're fighting his corner for him though. 

jamboinglasgow
16 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I'd also would suggest that the only time you really see issues is in highlights when it leads to a goal, the many times where it works without issue are not going to be shown on highlights. I would imagine its probably 1 error leading to a reasonable chance for the opposition every 50 times. If the keeper just punts it up, then it could easily be won by an opposition player who then knocks forward to a striker who breaks the offside trap and is faced with a chance.

46 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

No, but if you watch the English Premier League and think that players aren't comfortable on the ball then I don't quite know what you'd class as that...

All of them! 99% you said...a made up number full of bull! As soon as the better teams press hard the less accomplished start to panic! I don't know what your inane comment is classed as! Next you will say we are only a player or 2 short of a decent squad ffs!

Thanks for everyone who summed this up. Great info, learned a lot beyond what was in the Hearts standard article.

My big takeaway is the coaches discussing how third tier is better than fifth for B Team. I don't know if that is them wish casting like I do for an expanded league or if that is a real possibility. I think it would be a game changer for our club's 17 and 18 year olds to be playing semi-pros and professionals weekly. And unless Hibs and Aberdeen found money to start their own B Teams, it would make Hearts the best avenue in Scotland outside of Glasgow to make it as a pro. If you're an academy player at Hearts, you're going to develop better than anywhere else and have a clear line to the first team. And, if your ambitions are bigger than Tynecastle, big clubs in England will notice a teenager with some buzz who is holding his own in League 1 in Scotland.

But I hate it for the sport, since I don't want to bigfoot those third tier sides. I hate when Celtic Rangers bigfoot clubs. I don't want to be the club who tells clubs like Alloa and Montrose that we consider their league a developmental one.

Self interest would make me welcome news about Hearts somehow ending up with the B team in third tier. I would just have a bit of guilt.

8 minutes ago, Smithian said:

Thanks for everyone who summed this up. Great info, learned a lot beyond what was in the Hearts standard article.

My big takeaway is the coaches discussing how third tier is better than fifth for B Team. I don't know if that is them wish casting like I do for an expanded league or if that is a real possibility. I think it would be a game changer for our club's 17 and 18 year olds to be playing semi-pros and professionals weekly. And unless Hibs and Aberdeen found money to start their own B Teams, it would make Hearts the best avenue in Scotland outside of Glasgow to make it as a pro. If you're an academy player at Hearts, you're going to develop better than anywhere else and have a clear line to the first team. And, if your ambitions are bigger than Tynecastle, big clubs in England will notice a teenager with some buzz who is holding his own in League 1 in Scotland.

But I hate it for the sport, since I don't want to bigfoot those third tier sides. I hate when Celtic Rangers bigfoot clubs. I don't want to be the club who tells clubs like Alloa and Montrose that we consider their league a developmental one.

Self interest would make me welcome news about Hearts somehow ending up with the B team in third tier. I would just have a bit of guilt.

I'm not sure how though mate.  Honestly I don't.  Higher quality and more revenue in our game as a whole is good for ALL our clubs and at the end of the day, we'll be stuck with Sky's pishy money until we make real changes to up our quality.  One of the main changes is improving the quality of our homegrown players.

Also remember that not every kid at "big" clubs make it but the better the overall standard of those academies, the better the players will be who end up at lower league clubs in Scotland.

And as for competition.  These teams would be being asked to play our B team a couple of times a season in their league.  So be it.  They'd still be in the league, they can still get promoted, relegated etc.  It only affects them when they play the B teams.

I am similar to you, I don't like the idea of elitism. But fact is, your Alloas etc are often the teams physically hindering progress through self-servism.  They can't see past the end of their own noses, many of these clubs and we've got ourselves in the ridiculous situation where they can vote against positive change.  So it may be that a good solution doesn't suit all, but the question should always be "will it improve the game" and for me, with no other pathway on the table or - imo - viable, B teams is obvious.  As is larger leagues, which again would help the 3rd tier absorb the Bs, but thats another matter altogether!