Mancaves

Fire_At_The_Disco

Harry Potter
On 05/01/2024 at 11:33, Pans Jambo said:

Still a work in progress and there's still some finishing to be done inside when I can be arsed but its a great facility to have.

Ran power from the main electrical service unit in the house and a CAT6 cable from the house main router. Both cables were armoured and I buried them in the trench you can see in the pics so the 'man-cave' has electrics and wi-fi which allows me to get a bar-fridge, lights, heating, TV, IPTV , You-tube and a SONOS system set up etc.

Built it mainly myself with some help from a couple of mates. As you can see from the pics, I'm no builder and plenty of errors were made along the way (there's loads of You-tube videos of people who have built garden rooms and they are invaluable). I do have a mate who plasters and he did the whole lot for a couple of cases of beer. The only outside contractor I used was the electrician. I fitted all the cables and he came in and connected all the wiring to the main unit and the small service unit in the bar and tested it so it is safe.

Its used most weekends and I have hosted loads of parties and football games.

I would recommend to anyone. Just take your time, research it and plan it out before you start so you are confident about what you need to do.

One thing I will say is that the price of raw materials (timber, sheets, insulation etc.) doubled just after I started so I was lucky that I had already bought most of it. The doors and windows are second hand that I got off EBAY.

A lot of work put in to that, well done.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pans Jambo

• Fire_At_The_Disco

• Ked

• Spellczech

Pans Jambo
1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

A lot of work put in to that, well done.

👍

cannonfoda
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

No its not. Its a caravan toilet that I got from an old caravan at the scrappies. It has a large water tank that has an electric pump in it so you can flush it after use with the press of a button. It has a sealed "cassette" for the waste (sealed with a screw thread lid) that you put chemicals in and then empty down the toilet. Sounds absolutely disgusting I know but to answer Tommy Brown, number 2s are absolutely banned. If folk need to do that they just go into the house. Strictly number 1s only and the bursds are told a maximum of 2 sheets to wipe their front bums as some of them who "scrunch" go a bit mad with the loo roll. This can then block the exit pipe when you are emptying it. Because it has chemicals in it (& I add toilet duck), it doesn't smell when you empty it down the toilet. Everyone knows the rules and are comfortable with it. If anyone feels that they would prefer to use the normal loo they just go into the house and use the facilities in there but to be honest, hardly anyone does that now.

Cheers Pans.  I'm looking at something similar as upgrading shed in the back garden we inherited when we moved in.  I've just changed the garage door for patio ones and about to divide inside up - trying to source cheap wood burner but that's near impossible nowadays.  I did measure out dimensions for full-size snooker and it would work but not leave much space for anything else :)

2023-07-06.jpg

Pans Jambo
27 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

Cheers Pans.  I'm looking at something similar as upgrading shed in the back garden we inherited when we moved in.  I've just changed the garage door for patio ones and about to divide inside up - trying to source cheap wood burner but that's near impossible nowadays.  I did measure out dimensions for full-size snooker and it would work but not leave much space for anything else :)

2023-07-06.jpg

Is that an old garage? Pretty cool. You could do loads to that. Would recommend some internal insulation in the walls and floor if you have not done so already. Makes a huge difference to the bare concrete. 

the toilets are called Thetford cassette porta potty and as I said, I got mines at a scrappies from an old caravan but you can get a much simpler designed one on Amazon brand new for around £80 that still flushes but you don't need electricity or plumbing.

I just use a small portable electric oil heater/radiator to heat the bar up & because its heavily insulated, it heats up really quickly and maintains the heat for ages.

IMG_0848.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

IMG_0850.jpeg

Edited by Pans Jambo

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Is that an old garage? Pretty cool. You could do loads to that. Would recommend some internal insulation in the walls and floor if you have not done so already. Makes a huge difference to the bare concrete. 

the toilets are called Thetford cassette porta potty and as I said, I got mines at a scrappies from an old caravan but you can get a much simpler designed one on Amazon brand new for around £80 that still flushes but you don't need electricity or plumbing.

I just use a small portable electric oil heater/radiator to heat the bar up & because its heavily insulated, it heats up really quickly and maintains the heat for ages.

IMG_0848.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

IMG_0850.jpeg

Just pop to Easter Road and empty it there ... Might improve the place! 

Pans Jambo
8 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Just pop to Easter Road and empty it there ... Might improve the place! 

Need the number 2s deposited in em first 👍

3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Need the number 2s deposited in em first 👍

You could invite everyone from the Shed to come round and help fill it up#! Cause there are a lot of posters on here who are full of Number 2s

the posh bit
2 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

2023-07-06.jpg

"City Cabs?" 

"Hi, can I book a taxi to my mancave please?"