Mancaves

Fire_At_The_Disco

That's amazing. You've done a cracking job of that, it's brilliant. How hard was it getting power to it?

Almost forked out for a wooden cabin on clearance in December but bottled it as I'd have to reassemble it myself abd I got the fear 😭😭

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pans Jambo

• Fire_At_The_Disco

• Ked

• Spellczech

Harry Potter
12 hours ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

In October I finally decided to build a mancave/sunroom….. I’m nearly done, this is the result, anyone else? 

IMG_5855.jpeg

IMG_5856.jpeg

IMG_5857.jpeg

IMG_5858.jpeg

That looks superb, enjoy your space.

New Town Loafer
12 hours ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

In October I finally decided to build a mancave/sunroom….. I’m nearly done, this is the result, anyone else? 

IMG_5855.jpeg

IMG_5856.jpeg

IMG_5857.jpeg

IMG_5858.jpeg

That’s quality mate, well done.

Armageddon
11 hours ago, Spellczech said:

I got forced to do an Health & Safety course at a previous employer. Afraid to say that some of it stuck and I just could not stay silent...

Some course that 'Dart dropping out the board and through an electrical cable' (70 pages) :)

hughesie27

Got our own wee version a few years ago. Great in the summer. 

SmartSelect_20240105_100551_OneDrive.jpg

SmartSelect_20240105_100831_OneDrive.jpg

SmartSelect_20240105_100900_OneDrive.jpg

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

That's amazing. You've done a cracking job of that, it's brilliant. How hard was it getting power to it?

Almost forked out for a wooden cabin on clearance in December but bottled it as I'd have to reassemble it myself abd I got the fear 😭😭

Made ours a few years back, really wasn't that hard. Bribed a couple of mates with bottles of whisky, had the thing up in about four hours!

Pans Jambo

Built mine during Covid. 

Heres how it started:

IMG_0777.jpeg

shlabalaba
5 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Toilet and all! Impressive!

needs to sort the windows out   :)      come on man do the job right :)  :) 

Pans Jambo

Still a work in progress and there's still some finishing to be done inside when I can be arsed but its a great facility to have.

Ran power from the main electrical service unit in the house and a CAT6 cable from the house main router. Both cables were armoured and I buried them in the trench you can see in the pics so the 'man-cave' has electrics and wi-fi which allows me to get a bar-fridge, lights, heating, TV, IPTV , You-tube and a SONOS system set up etc.

Built it mainly myself with some help from a couple of mates. As you can see from the pics, I'm no builder and plenty of errors were made along the way (there's loads of You-tube videos of people who have built garden rooms and they are invaluable). I do have a mate who plasters and he did the whole lot for a couple of cases of beer. The only outside contractor I used was the electrician. I fitted all the cables and he came in and connected all the wiring to the main unit and the small service unit in the bar and tested it so it is safe.

Its used most weekends and I have hosted loads of parties and football games.

I would recommend to anyone. Just take your time, research it and plan it out before you start so you are confident about what you need to do.

One thing I will say is that the price of raw materials (timber, sheets, insulation etc.) doubled just after I started so I was lucky that I had already bought most of it. The doors and windows are second hand that I got off EBAY.

Pans Jambo
7 minutes ago, shlabalaba said:

needs to sort the windows out   :)      come on man do the job right :)  :) 

:laugh2:
If you mean the brown toilet window it was the only one I got that was brand new. It was from Lyton’s in Wallyford. White on the inside and brown on the outside. I have since corrected it with a tin of white spray paint 👍

IMG_0800.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

shlabalaba

That looks better  :)    ,  nah was only joking -  it is impressive though  - a job well done    , i just wish i had a garden :(    

im free most weekends to test it out though  :) 

Pans Jambo
1 minute ago, shlabalaba said:

That looks better  :)    ,  nah was only joking -  it is impressive though  - a job well done    , i just wish i had a garden :(    

im free most weekends to test it out though  :) 

👍

Pans Jambo
24 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That's amazing Pans.  

21 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Toilet and all! Impressive!

Cheers lads. Was a great project to do during the Covid months and I was fortunate enough to have some money available at that time to do it (no family holidays etc. to pay for). Not sure I could afford it now.

Victorian

Liking how you've got the optics up while the power tools are still out.  You've got to have something to keep you going during the build.

Fire_At_The_Disco

Minted both Hughsie and Pans, I’m loving mine and even though it’s out the back it feels like I’m going to the pub😆

Japan Jambo
14 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I'm divorced so technically my whole house is a man cave.......

:jj:

(I get to cry on my own in peace.....)

Guess you still had a large mortgage then?

Der Kaiser
19 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Guess you still had a large mortgage then?

That's for my sons to worry about when I pop my clogs....

:rofl:

Pans Jambo
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Liking how you've got the optics up while the power tools are still out.  You've got to have something to keep you going during the build.

Indeed. Was up before the power was connected :lol:

Pans Jambo
3 hours ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Minted both Hughsie and Pans, I’m loving mine and even though it’s out the back it feels like I’m going to the pub😆

It does. My mrs gets her clobber and make up on to come out to the bar on a Saturday night. No joggers n slippers in my bar lad!

Pans Jambo
1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

Budweiser?

Burn it down!!!!!

In my defence, the Heineken is mine and the Bud was for the lads on the opening night. Honest.

periodictabledancer
4 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

:laugh2:
If you mean the brown toilet window it was the only one I got that was brand new. It was from Lyton’s in Wallyford. White on the inside and brown on the outside. I have since corrected it with a tin of white spray paint 👍

IMG_0800.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

Brown toilet windows......😂

Looks cool inside though. 

Montgomery Brewster
6 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Got our own wee version a few years ago. Great in the summer. 

SmartSelect_20240105_100551_OneDrive.jpg

SmartSelect_20240105_100831_OneDrive.jpg

SmartSelect_20240105_100900_OneDrive.jpg

Like the inter top 😀

3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

It does. My mrs gets her clobber and make up on to come out to the bar on a Saturday night. No joggers n slippers in my bar lad!

:kirk:

luckyBatistuta

Don’t know if the owner of the cracking Hearts man cave car not too far from Kingsknowe Golf Club is on here, but I do have to say that I’m seriously impressed. The famous all over it and looked a good size too👏 Was waiting to take your neighbour to the airport and was seriously tempted to park up and join you and your mate for a pint instead.

vlad on the tyne
On 04/01/2024 at 20:58, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

IMG_5855.jpeg

IMG_5856.jpeg

IMG_5857.jpeg

IMG_5858.jpeg

Minted 👍

vegas-voss
4 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Do you need planning permission for something like this?

Don't think you do as it's classed as semi permanent I think.

5 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Do you need planning permission for something like this?

<2.5m to the eaves is fine I think from my exploring a few months ago.

2nd question - how much would something like this set a layman back - I feel like i'd need to save for years! 

Psychedelicropcircle

Failed upload🥵

Edited by Psychedelicropcircle

Psychedelicropcircle

[img]

Edited by Psychedelicropcircle

Tommy Brown
7 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

See the toilet... Is it plumbed in? 

More importantly, are number 2s banned?

Stunning job Pans, you deserve to be proud of your achievements.

hughesie27
3 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

2nd question - how much would something like this set a layman back - I feel like i'd need to save for years! 

Reckon you'd be looking at 10k.

Pans Jambo
19 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

See the toilet... Is it plumbed in? 

12 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

More importantly, are number 2s banned?

Stunning job Pans, you deserve to be proud of your achievements.

No its not. Its a caravan toilet that I got from an old caravan at the scrappies. It has a large water tank that has an electric pump in it so you can flush it after use with the press of a button. It has a sealed "cassette" for the waste (sealed with a screw thread lid) that you put chemicals in and then empty down the toilet. Sounds absolutely disgusting I know but to answer Tommy Brown, number 2s are absolutely banned. If folk need to do that they just go into the house. Strictly number 1s only and the bursds are told a maximum of 2 sheets to wipe their front bums as some of them who "scrunch" go a bit mad with the loo roll. This can then block the exit pipe when you are emptying it. Because it has chemicals in it (& I add toilet duck), it doesn't smell when you empty it down the toilet. Everyone knows the rules and are comfortable with it. If anyone feels that they would prefer to use the normal loo they just go into the house and use the facilities in there but to be honest, hardly anyone does that now.

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

No its not. Its a caravan toilet that I got from an old caravan at the scrappies. It has a large water tank that has an electric pump in it so you can flush it after use with the press of a button. It has a sealed "cassette" for the waste (sealed with a screw thread lid) that you put chemicals in and then empty down the toilet. Sounds absolutely disgusting I know but to answer Tommy Brown, number 2s are absolutely banned. If folk need to do that they just go into the house. Strictly number 1s only and the bursds are told a maximum of 2 sheets to wipe their front bums as some of them who "scrunch" go a bit mad with the loo roll. This can then block the exit pipe when you are emptying it. Because it has chemicals in it (& I add toilet duck), it doesn't smell when you empty it down the toilet. Everyone knows the rules and are comfortable with it. If anyone feels that they would prefer to use the normal loo they just go into the house and use the facilities in there but to be honest, hardly anyone does that now.

:lol:

Asked as I am a caravaner.

No 2s as most definiitely banned. Sadly, covid had to relax that rule on a couple of occasions as site toilets were closed down.:sob:

Pans Jambo
3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

:lol:

Asked as I am a caravaner.

No 2s as most definiitely banned. Sadly, covid had to relax that rule on a couple of occasions as site toilets were closed down.:sob:

Holy moly! Feel for you. 

I did the NC500 during covid and stopped the first night in Inverness. Went to empty the black water at the facility next to the site toilets and theres a grate that you pour the content through. It had large turds stuck between the grating 🤮

Hey, that wasnt you was it? 😂