10 Years of Strikers since 2014

colinmorewasgash

colinmorewasgash

Theres no doubting Shankland has been great signing and thank god for him recently, what is worrying is that he will be defo targeted by vermin hatchet men nxt week and if he is crocked or sold who else will score.

Got me thinking today that in last 10 seasons since Ann came into club about our recruitment in strikers and how many have been decent and how many hve been dross. 

Discuss.

33 minutes ago, number-16 said:

Also Zeefuik, Simms and Isma

Agreed. We have done OK. Shankland is different levels though. Boy's class. 

Add Ginelly - decent once he was played through the middle.  

Shanks is on a different planet from all of the them though.

Actually, and I realise we only saw him against Championship sides, but how do we think Zeefuik might have done in the Premiership?

His goals to games ratio is on a par with what Shankland got in his last two seasons in the Championship, and the goals to minutes ratio is actually better. That said, he probably isn't as well rounded an overall player (or a bit too round if you ask some folk). Three of his twelve goals were against Rangers too, if that counts for anything.

ToadKiller Dog

Zeefuiks overall career wasn't brilliant in terms of goals scored , Hearts seems maybe a purple patch .

Thought Isma was a real talented player ,the other players  often were not on his wave length. Disappeared too often in games though .

Top 10 for me

1) Shanks by a mile

2) Gino

3) Lafferty 

4) Boyce

5) Simms

6) Sow

7) Isma

8)Juanma

9) Zeefuik

10) Uche

Wee shoutout to Dale Carrick too who would have came into the team as a starter pretty much 10 years ago & was brilliant till his repeated injuries.

Naismith I never saw as a striker, he was imo an attacking midfielder that could cover up front but mostly played in behind Lafferty or Uche and latterly Boyce. As a player he’s right up there in the top 3 though, brilliant to watch 

I was gutted when Sow left. He was a great player for our level. Talented, great finisher and always trying to make things happen. 

I thought he'd have done better after he left but Hearts looks like about the best period of his career.

3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Add Ginelly - decent once he was played through the middle.  

Shanks is on a different planet from all of the them though.

On Gino, I see he's played 6 games this season for Swansea. Been injured for weeks.

He definitely offered a threat in behind but we might've dodged a bullet in terms of dishing out a bumper new deal to a guy who unfortunately has a history of injury problems. 

1 minute ago, Carter said:

On Gino, I see he's played 6 games this season for Swansea. Been injured for weeks.

He definitely offered a threat in behind but we might've dodged a bullet in terms of dishing out a bumper new deal to a guy who unfortunately has a history of injury problems. 

I miss him a bit. He was great at times. 

Never really considered your last point but it definitely makes sense. He did seem to be unavailable a lot.

colinmorewasgash

dauda vanecek reilly washington bjorn johnsen wighton stockton el hassanoui avdijaj humphrys very much mixed bag plus keatings who joined them in 16 after 1 season at us to add to the half decent ones. 

colinmorewasgash
Just now, colinmorewasgash said:

dauda vanecek reilly washington bjorn johnsen wighton stockton el hassanoui avdijaj humphrys very much mixed bag plus keatings who joined them in 16 after 1 season at us to add to the half decent ones folk came up with.

6 hours ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Theres no doubting Shankland has been great signing and thank god for him recently, what is worrying is that he will be defo targeted by vermin hatchet men nxt week and if he is crocked or sold who else will score.

Got me thinking today that in last 10 seasons since Ann came into club about our recruitment in strikers and how many have been decent and how many hve been dross. 

Discuss.

Bjorn
Sow

Juanma

Lafferty

Naismith

Boyce

Ginnelly

Shankland

Not even going to touch the meh list 

Edited by Sooks

5 hours ago, Carter said:

He's out for the rest of the season.

Shankland, Lafferty and Sow

The others mentioned had their moments - the fact that Ikpeazu has been listed shows how bad things have been in the last 10 years. 

There have been quite a few decent strikers in Budges era. Compared to 07-12, christ that was dull.

Centre Midfield on the other hand has been so bad. 

kingantti1874
7 hours ago, Carter said:

na, he was superb last season. Was playing great then don’t his Achilles 

can happen to anyone at any time 

7 hours ago, cosanostra said:

I was gutted when Sow left. He was a great player for our level. Talented, great finisher and always trying to make things happen. 

I thought he'd have done better after he left but Hearts looks like about the best period of his career.

It is amazing how many players leave Hearts, even for perceived "better" teams, and yet Hearts turns out to be the pinnacle of their career.

When I look at this thread I quickly realise it hasn’t been anywhere near as bad as I thought when it comes to strikers. We have had some pretty ****ing good ones come and go, none at the scoring level as Shankland but then again they are as rare as hens teeth. 

Best of the rest is Naismith but he wasn’t really a striker in the traditional sense as

someone mentioned above. 

Absolute Scenes

Connor Washington is one of those players who was the right fit at the wrong time. Unfortunately isn’t remembered well because of the team he was playing in - but you could see there was a player there. Scored a few goals, including a memorable third against Hibs but was also part of one of the worst teams in memory 😂

LarrysRightFoot
5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

When I look at this thread I quickly realise it hasn’t been anywhere near as bad as I thought when it comes to strikers. We have had some pretty ****ing good ones come and go, none at the scoring level as Shankland but then again they are as rare as hens teeth. 

Best of the rest is Naismith but he wasn’t really a striker in the traditional sense as

someone mentioned above. 

That’s my thoughts as well.

Often we haven’t had the players around our strikers or the team hasn’t been functioning properly to get the best out of them however. 

Having said that I doubt any of them would’ve hit Shanks numbers over the last 18 months. 

Shanks is a proper no.9 and he’s also a very good/underrated footballer. 

Really liked Zeefuik.  Seemed to have everything in his locker for our level that stood out. 

Strength, burst of pace and great finisher.  

5 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Or as he's known in the League that's 100 times better than ours Goals Stockton!

He scored most of his goals in league 1. You think that's better than Scottish premier?

Just now, cosanostra said:

He scored most of his goals in league 1. You think that's better than Scottish premier?

Not me, just mis quoting the Ross County manager. 

3 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Not me, just mis quoting the Ross County manager. 

Ahhhhh, I see what you did. What an absolute moron of a man he is. Pathetic, petulant nonsense.

How embarrassing for his club.

13 hours ago, colinmorewasgash said:

dauda vanecek reilly washington bjorn johnsen wighton stockton el hassanoui avdijaj humphrys very much mixed bag plus keatings who joined them in 16 after 1 season at us to add to the half decent ones. 

Keatings is Hibernian trash. 

13 hours ago, Sooks said:

Bjorn
Sow

Juanma

Lafferty

Naismith

Boyce

Ginnelly

Shankland

Not even going to touch the meh list 

Somehow forgot Isma !

Sow was different class for us.

The team struggled when he left to go to China.

Not the goalscorer Shankland is but his other attributes were great

16 hours ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Zeefuiks overall career wasn't brilliant in terms of goals scored , Hearts seems maybe a purple patch .

Thought Isma was a real talented player ,the other players  often were not on his wave length. Disappeared too often in games though .

Zeefuiks mistake was pushing to go to Turkey instead of trying to make his loan deal permanent. Don't think the Turks even paid him and then his career utterly went down the pan. 

I think if he'd stayed here, he'd have become a hero. His finishing was on a par with Shanks. Strong as a bull to hold the ball up too - just didn't have pace - not unlike Shanks... :D 

Its one of the things that makes me really sad because its a proper "what if" transfer. I think Gronigen only wanted £300k for him. 

Imagine coming up after relegation and having a CF pairing of Sow & Zeefuik... 

19 hours ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Discuss.

We’ve played bigger hatchet teams than hibs and he’s managed to stand up to the physicality.

I would argue that our strikers since robbo have all been much of a muchness.

9 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

We’ve played bigger hatchet teams than hibs and he’s managed to stand up to the physicality.

I would argue that our strikers since robbo have all been much of a muchness.

I would argue that the thought of having a strikers such as Bednar or Janny strolling out on Saturday alongside Shanks at the middin would be a dream come true . Although I doubt it would do much good there is hardly a player on the field to supply the ammunition they would need.

Shankland

Simms

Sow

Gino

Lafferty

Naismith

Boyce

I wouldn't list the likes of Zeefuik. He was alright in a league of binmen/posties that even the likes of Billy King looked brilliant in so I doubt he'd have shone in the premiership

Haven't seen Paul McCallum - though he's very forgettable. I'm sure I saw him at some cup-tie with a penalty shoot-out and he sauntered up like Snoop Dog before missing it. Didn't last long IIRC.

17 hours ago, cosanostra said:

We got 1.8 million with him having 6 months left on his contract..I can understand why we took it....that goad against celtic was a peach eh

40 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Haven't seen Paul McCallum - though he's very forgettable. I'm sure I saw him at some cup-tie with a penalty shoot-out and he sauntered up like Snoop Dog before missing it. Didn't last long IIRC.

Pereira aside he’s maybe the worst player I’ve seen play for us 

1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Pereira aside he’s maybe the worst player I’ve seen play for us 

Aye. Them and the 'dead ball expert' Malaury Martin.

God, we've signed some duds over the years...

:vrface:

4 hours ago, jock _turd said:

I would argue that the thought of having a strikers such as Bednar or Janny strolling out on Saturday alongside Shanks at the middin would be a dream come true . Although I doubt it would do much good there is hardly a player on the field to supply the ammunition they would need.

I loved some of the strikers we had during that period however none got close to 20 goals, albeit Bednar was injured for most of it.

Isma is often overlooked, but he scored the same number of goals for us as Lafferty in 2 less appearances.

Sow was a joy to watch when he was with us. One of those players who could just create magic out of nothing and turn a game in our favour.

brunoatemyhamster

Going to give some love to big Humph. 

Isma getting love so the big fella deserves waaaay more than he's getting. 

Osman Sow's goal at Ibrox in the opening game of the Championship season remains one of my favourite goals ever scored by a Hearts player.  They get their typical 90+1 equaliser and we all think that's that. Game's done. 

Straight from kick off, Sow makes a great run, gets the ball, saunters past 3 defenders and pops it under one of them and into the far corner. Total composure, didn't smash it, just rolled it where it needed to go.  Genuine class. 

Teams don't do that at Ibrox.  

Would have loved to have kept him for longer than we had him.