The Greatest Goalie There Ever Was

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I still haven't seen the incident and never will. 

Craig's right about "just knowing" it's a break. I slipped on black ice a few years ago and knew immediately it was not a normal fall and that I'd broken or fractured something.

It will be great to see him back in the team. That's not a slight on Zander, btw. I think he's been a great stand in and a lot of the criticism on here is over the top.

But, Craig is our, and Scotland's, number 1 and the sooner he's match ready the better.

Hero. 

At the time there was much talk of that being the end of his career. The one thing that gave me hope and belief that it wouldn't be was what he said in that interview there. I knew he would not want to go out like that. He was not going to allow our last memory of him in a Hearts jersey to be getting carried off on a stretcher. 

Still, it's a hell of an injury to come back from at the age Craigy is at. The man's heart is as big as his talent. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Think there will be a bit of moisture in the eye, seeing him back out there again

Hibs tears mostly.

Especially that Lotto winner.

11 minutes ago, martoon said:

Hibs tears mostly.

Especially that Lotto winner.

I remember that wee (big) cow wrote some horrible stuff about him online just after the incident. After getting the backlash she then lied saying it was only a joke and Craig got in touch with her personally to say no hard feeling. 

When asked about it Craig said he had never heard of her!

I'll be very disappointed in the management team if they drop Big Zander so they can accommodate Craig Gordon's comeback. 

Zander is a fantastic goalkeeper and has been the ideal replacement for the unfortunate team captain and I'm glad we managed to capture him when he was available, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever where Craig Gordon is when it comes to legendary status but that doesn't mean he earns that right to nudge Big Zander to one side and claim the "No1 shirt" back. 

As far as I'm concerned the fight for Germany 2024 has already been decided, Gunn, Clark and Kelly and I have no qualms at all that Craig Gordon wants to be there but that horrible injury put that to bed.... however no one can question Craig Gordon's hunger to get back to first team football, age might be against him but I'll happily stand applaud that man when he steps onto the field of play wearing the jersey of the most beautiful named football club in the world. 

5 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I remember that wee (big) cow wrote some horrible stuff about him online just after the incident. After getting the backlash she then lied saying it was only a joke and Craig got in touch with her personally to say no hard feeling. 

When asked about it Craig said he had never heard of her!

Aye.

Money can't buy you brains.

1 minute ago, dannymack said:

I'll be very disappointed in the management team if they drop Big Zander so they can accommodate Craig Gordon's comeback. 

Zander is a fantastic goalkeeper and has been the ideal replacement for the unfortunate team captain and I'm glad we managed to capture him when he was available, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever where Craig Gordon is when it comes to legendary status but that doesn't mean he earns that right to nudge Big Zander to one side and claim the "No1 shirt" back. 

As far as I'm concerned the fight for Germany 2024 has already been decided, Gunn, Clark and Kelly and I have no qualms at all that Craig Gordon wants to be there but that horrible injury put that to bed.... however no one can question Craig Gordon's hunger to get back to first team football, age might be against him but I'll happily stand applaud that man when he steps onto the field of play wearing the jersey of the most beautiful named football club in the world. 

Not having Zander for the last year doesn't bear thinking about.

I still can't get over the fact that initially a penalty was given and he was going to be red carded.

It would be harsh to drop Zander straight away tbh, he's sitting second for clean sheets this season in the league behind BUtland, and we're 3rd best defence in the league (behind the gruesome twosome). 

2 minutes ago, martoon said:

Not having Zander for the last year doesn't bear thinking about.

And yet we STILL have fans who question his ability, sure he's made mistakes but so have the greatest keepers in the world !  👌🏻EUhQADzWoAA-Zoh.jpg.ac57da421cd27e15711c7da4cdbf04b5.jpg

x_C4020-1976-05-15_02-Scotland-NFT-v-England-NFT-CDCT_38254381-e1620901069932-2.thumb.jpg.55287eefecb0d61effa19793c8345248.jpg

4 minutes ago, waterboy11 said:

I still can't get over the fact that initially a penalty was given and he was going to be red carded.

It would be harsh to drop Zander straight away tbh, he's sitting second for clean sheets this season in the league behind BUtland, and we're 3rd best defence in the league (behind the gruesome twosome). 

Bang on and I'm sure C.G. is well aware of this and will not be expecting preferential treatment 

4 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Its quite simple for me, the best player plays. If it’s Clark then he’ll do fine. If Craig has come back anywhere near his best then he gets the gloves back and Zander will have to suck it up like every other player who gets dropped. No place for sentiment when there’s millions at stake.  

12 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Clark is not a fantastic goalie.

Craig Gordon is.

Play your strongest team, therefore get Gordon back in ASAP.

6 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Craig Gordon is.

How about we actually find out if Craig still has it in him after a year out after a double leg break, and (by the time he likely plays) recently turning 40?

I really think some of us on here need to remember what happened would be career ending for some people. He might not have the same flexibility or range of movement as he did before, and mentally he might be afraid of going in at the feet of players or coming to collect cross balls.  We just don't know. 

Saying get him back in the first team ASAP is daft. He should be brought back slowly, and given the time he needs to recover, not necessarily the time he wants to recover in (which knowing him would have probably been about 2 weeks!) 

Edited by tian447

7 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Craig Gordon is.

Yes he is. 

11 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Its quite simple for me, the best player plays. If it’s Clark then he’ll do fine. If Craig has come back anywhere near his best then he gets the gloves back and Zander will have to suck it up like every other player who gets dropped. No place for sentiment when there’s millions at stake.  

As it stands Zander is first team goalkeeper doing absolutely nothing wrong, what it takes to get dropped will have to be something drastic on a regular run of games. 

I'm sure both goalkeepers know this

54 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Would argue that Zander is far from fantastic.

He is good but nowhere near some of the keepers we have had over the years.

If Big Craig is fit then get him in.

Best players should play its that simple.

Ps I like the look of the St Johnstone keeper the now for a future purchase 

1 minute ago, Madjambo21 said:

Would argue that Zander is far from fantastic.

He is good but nowhere near some of the keepers we have had over the years.

If Big Craig is fit then get him in.

Best players should play its that simple.

Ps I like the look of the St Johnstone keeper the now for a future purchase 

I wouldn't argue either, it's all about opinions and debating from there. 

Good and fantastic are marginally not that far away from each other, depends on how folk are feeling about the subject in matter. 

If Craig is fit then he sits on the bench in my opinion. 

Agreed with how good Mitov is, In fact for what I've seen of him I'd say he's fantastic 😀 

1 hour ago, dannymack said:

And yet we STILL have fans who question his ability, sure he's made mistakes but so have the greatest keepers in the world !  👌🏻EUhQADzWoAA-Zoh.jpg.ac57da421cd27e15711c7da4cdbf04b5.jpg

x_C4020-1976-05-15_02-Scotland-NFT-v-England-NFT-CDCT_38254381-e1620901069932-2.thumb.jpg.55287eefecb0d61effa19793c8345248.jpg

I remember it well, danny.

The 1-5 the year before is the first I remember watching on telly so 1976 and Wembley '77 made fantastic viewing for the 8/9 year old me.

If Craig Gordon gets back to full fitness/sharpness (huge if, granted), then he'll be back in the nets in no time, and rightly so. Zander is nowhere near his levels. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Craig Gordon is inspirational and brings even more than his super hero saves to the team.

Zander had a good game last week, but to be honest looked ropey the 2 previous, Craig has never ever looked ropey. Not sure when we will see him, but I feel certain it will not be far away.

Edited by Lord Beni of Gorgie

As it stands Zander is first team goalkeeper doing absolutely nothing wrong, what it takes to get dropped will have to be something drastic on a regular run of games. 

He’s already had a run of poor games and if Craig was fit back then he would’ve already been benched. He’s done ok but been at fault for a lot of goals this season. Dundee, St Mirren, Rangers x2, Aberdeen. 

The fight for 3rd looks like it’ll go right to the wire this year and we need to use every advantage we’ve got. Having the best goalkeeper in the league (if fit) sitting on our bench would be madness.

2 hours ago, dannymack said:

Zander Clark has made quite a few big errors.

The Rangers game he was in no man's land for the goal and in the second half dropped the simplest of crosses with nobody near him which was luckily cleared off the line.

That's just an example of errors especially recently, so to say he has done absolutely nothing wrong is nonsense.

Play your best players and Gordon is our best keeper by a fair distance imo.

1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

If Craig Gordon gets back to full fitness/sharpness (huge if, granted), then he'll be back in the nets in no time, and rightly so. Zander is nowhere near his levels. 

But doesn't deserve to be dropped. 

47 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Craig Gordon is inspirational and brings even more than his super hero saves to the team.

Zander had a good game last week, but to be honest looked ropey the 2 previous, Craig has never ever looked ropey. Not sure when we will see him, but I feel certain it will not be far away.

Thankfully Zander didn't literally throw the ball into his own net on Saturday. 

We've got three games in eight days coming up. I'd give Gordon the start for one of those.

Probably the County game. Even a great keeper will be a bit rusty so the last thing we want is to put him in and have him cost us at the Echodrome.

2 hours ago, dannymack said:

I wouldn't argue either, it's all about opinions and debating from there. 

Good and fantastic are marginally not that far away from each other, depends on how folk are feeling about the subject in matter. 

If Craig is fit then he sits on the bench in my opinion. 

Agreed with how good Mitov is, In fact for what I've seen of him I'd say he's fantastic 😀 

🤣

Is Craig a better keeper = Yes

Does Zander deserve to be dropped = No

Could 2 of Scotlands 3 keepers at the Euros be Hearts players.... Yes 

Thunder and Lightning
6 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Think there will be a bit of moisture in the eye, seeing him back out there again

Why? Is he a friend? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
25 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Why? Is he a friend? 

Sure that was funny in your own wee head

Thunder and Lightning
7 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Sure that was funny in your own wee head

No, I'm asking why you would post that. It's not true, is it?

But you crack on if you need to be the most emotional about his return. 😂 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
13 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

No, I'm asking why you would post that. It's not true, is it?

But you crack on if you need to be the most emotional about his return. 😂 

What a cock you are :lol:

3 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

When I saw the thread title I thought it was about Jim Cruickshank. 

Craig Gordon is a close second tbf

Your opinion > trophies and caps. 

Thunder and Lightning
1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Awww, it's OK hun, you're just an emotional mess because a footballer is coming back from injury. 

Bit weird. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Awww, it's OK hun, you're just an emotional mess because a footballer is coming back from injury. 

Bit weird. 

Consider anger management. Easy decision to add you to the ignore list. Enjoy your angry wee evening 😉

19 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Don't worry about him. Most on here get the sentiment. I too will be a little emotional on his return. Currently, however, Zander is our keeper who barring a few errors has been a very dependable deputy. Craig knows he has to earn his place back in the starting team.