Vodka

muldoon74

Not really a spirits guy these days but..

I don't mind a wee Vodka and (proper sugary ) coke now and then..

Previous standout favourite was Stolichnaya, can drink that stuff straight no worries. Smooth as you like and very satisfying.

Have tried Grey Goose and Belvedere but couldn't tell either from Smirnoff if I'm honest. 

Now, to the point of the thread, my wife likes a wee vodka and diet coke as a couple if she doesn't fancy getting twatted on wine..

Glens minimum (I only drink Glens when well into the night and nothing else left) usually Smirnoff though.. 

We went to Skye (Portree) for our anniversary in March and we found Misty Isles Vodka. 

Misty Isles is made on a distillery on Skye and is, to my mind, on a par with or edging ahead of Stolichnaya.  Like stolly,  I could drink MI straight till the cows come home.

Beautiful stuff. 

I've bought a few bottles from the distillery direct since March,.. Got latest one today (ordered Wednesday night). 

If you like your vodka and fancy treating yourself it's on offer from distillery (just google misty isles vodka) for £25.50 just now. Usually £32.00. That's delivered. 

Enjoy.. Like I said, not really a spirits person but this stuff is next level lovely. 

8 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Previous standout favourite was Stolichnaya, can drink that stuff straight no worries. Smooth as you like and very satisfying.

Have tried Grey Goose and Belvedere but couldn't tell either from Smirnoff if I'm honest. 

Now, to the point of the thread, my wife likes a wee vodka and diet coke as a couple if she doesn't fancy getting twatted on wine..

Glens minimum (I only drink Glens when well into the night and nothing else left) usually Smirnoff though.. 

We went to Skye (Portree) for our anniversary in March and we found Misty Isles Vodka. 

Misty Isles is made on a distillery on Skye and is, to my mind, on a par with or edging ahead of Stolichnaya.  Like stolly,  I could drink MI straight till the cows come home.

Beautiful stuff. 

I've bought a few bottles from the distillery direct since March,.. Got latest one today (ordered Wednesday night). 

If you like your vodka and fancy treating yourself it's on offer from distillery (just google misty isles vodka) for £25.50 just now. Usually £32.00. That's delivered. 

Enjoy.. Like I said, not really a spirits person but this stuff is next level lovely. 

Stolichnaya is my favourite after Goose and more affordable.

There's an Aldi goose lookalike for 15 that's not to shabby.

Carl Fredrickson

I am not into vodka but a relative who is a massive Grey Goose fan says that Costcos own make vodka (Kirkland) is tremendous value for money. 

15 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Beautiful stuff. 

Try Nemiroff

Doctor FinnBarr

I'm not a vodka snob, I'll drink any brand and with using lucozade or fresh orange as a mixer nothing tastes too rough.

I work for the Coop and I get a 30% discount on "own brand" products so if I'm south of the border I'll stock up on Imperial vodka, works out about £13 per litre Not unusual to return with 10 litres.

7 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I am not into vodka but a relative who is a massive Grey Goose fan says that Costcos own make vodka (Kirkland) is tremendous value for money. 

I watched a documentary about Costco a while back and that’s one of the own brand products that is meant to be made by the brand name company. 

34 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I watched a documentary about Costco a while back and that’s one of the own brand products that is meant to be made by the brand name company. 

Netflix? I think I watched that one as well...

Used to work in a lab which tested vodka, and I can assure you there's very little between the most popular brands and the likes of Grey Goose. 

If anything, Smirnoff was cleaner than the so-called 'premium' brands.

I've always that that drinking vodka was about covering up the taste, where as gin and whisky was all about the taste 🤷

...a bit disco

The studenty thing to do is buy the cheapest and nastiest and decant into a Brita filter jug.

Apparently it filters a lot of impurities out of it leaving a much more palatable spirit.

I like Absolut myself.

Edited by ...a bit disco

42 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

The studenty thing to do is buy the cheapest and nastiest and decant into a Brita filter jug.

Apparently it filters a lot of impurities out of it leaving a much more palatable spirit.

I like Absolut myself.

I've heard that, works with Tequila too.

If you dink it straight, you can tell, im not a smirnoff fan.....though i am sitting with a double right now. Glen's blue is good, Stolli, crystal skull and belvedere are good. Absolut, stolli and Cavalli are excellent. Kirkland is good but doesn't seem to be gluten free. Try bisongrass with a cheap apple juice. Omfg. Like an apple pie. Some good Russian ones too but not buying shit from those arseholes. 

2 hours ago, tightrope said:

Try bisongrass with a cheap apple juice. Omfg. Like an apple pie

1 hour ago, Negan said:

Zubrovoka (Sp) the polish bison grass one is elite material with apple juice and a sprinkle of cinnamon powder on top. 

Not a big vodka drinker but can vouch for this one, Zubrovka and supermarket apple juice is lovely and tastes just like apple pie!

...a bit disco
2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Found one called AK47 once upon a time. Woke up the next morning wishing someone would shoot me to put me out my misery, TBF. 

Done a bottle of Kalashnikov with the wife a few years back.

2 day recovery on that one

Couple years back I was in Poznan for a few days on the sauce. I drank a considerable amount of polish vodka and I have never had a hangover like it in my life. It was one of those hangovers where even water isn't bearable. I vaguely remember having my flight home 2 days after and I was still shaking like a sh*tting dog all the way home. Never again. I think I'll stick to rum.

The kids are drinking AU vodka these days, gold bottle and owned by the wee f4nny ballboy that Hazard 'kicked'.  Seems he's made quite a bit from it.

11 hours ago, Negan said:

Zubrovoka (Sp) the polish bison grass one is elite material with apple juice and a sprinkle of cinnamon powder on top. 

Never tried it with the cinnamon only the apple juice. Will need to try that addition.

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Never tried it with the cinnamon only the apple juice. Will need to try that addition.

It gives it that extra bit of taste. Lovely stuff!

11 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

The kids are drinking AU vodka these days, gold bottle and owned by the wee f4nny ballboy that Hazard 'kicked'.  Seems he's made quite a bit from it.

AU is pish. More a "oh look at me with my overpriced bottle in a nightclub" type vodka. There's a bubblegum flavoured one too🤪 Rotten. 

15 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Used to work in a lab which tested vodka, and I can assure you there's very little between the most popular brands and the likes of Grey Goose. 

If anything, Smirnoff was cleaner than the so-called 'premium' brands.

I remember watching a blind taste test amongst elite brands and Smirnoff etc. Smirnoff was unanimous.

Vodka is a complete con, it's all just marketing.

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Armageddon said:

His dad was a millionaire who gave him the readies to kick it off. 

Seems the retail cost is purely to cover the bottling and packaging. 

Not a spirit man myself either but I did go through a phase of liking a wee Green Mark vodka. Smooth as ****. It's not necessarily the spirits I don't like, more the mixers. I love fizzy juice, it's my Achilles Heel, but I'm really not into drinking it with alcohol. Sweet alcohol is just a bit much for me. Prefer a bit of a harsher flavour.

On 17/12/2023 at 20:39, tightrope said:

If you dink it straight, you can tell, im not a smirnoff fan.....though i am sitting with a double right now. Glen's blue is good, Stolli, crystal skull and belvedere are good.

I bought my stepdad a bottle of crystal head vodka a couple of years back. Let me try it and was v smooth! Interestingly the company is owned by Dan Aykroyd.

Belvedere is nice too.

...a bit disco

Tried this years ago at the Ukranian Club in Galashiels.

spirytus-duch-puszczy.thumb.jpg.995596a4ffa30bb6c7ac06611ba9c134.jpg

My advice? Don't.

On 17/12/2023 at 21:22, Negan said:

Never been a fan of vodka over here but enjoyed it when I was in Poland. I was able to drink straight shots of it which is unthinkable with the usual muck we get here like Smirnoff and Grants. Somehow didn't get a hangover off it either.

I'm pretty sure we were given free shots of the one you mentioned after a meal and it was class.

Edited by Ray Gin

5 hours ago, ...a bit disco said:

My advice? Don't.

I have also tried this when I was in Poland. Basically it turns into nothing when it hits your tongue its that potent, you swallow and it gives you heart burn and a swollen throat, then you just feel smashed and ill. The barmaid told me they wash their sinks with it🤣

Would not recommend 

Worthing Jambo
7 hours ago, ...a bit disco said:

My advice? Don't.

😳 95%!!
I picked these up in Prague last week.

They do 92% version of the one on the right but couldn’t find it at the airport.

Anyone tried the one on the left?

Bought for novelty factor😁f6922326-2cbd-43c0-804c-83b27cf5cca4.thumb.jpeg.bec1223ee212008114ba73b6b9059f72.jpeg

...a bit disco
2 hours ago, Negan said:

I have also tried this when I was in Poland. Basically it turns into nothing when it hits your tongue its that potent, you swallow and it gives you heart burn and a swollen throat, then you just feel smashed and ill. The barmaid told me they wash their sinks with it🤣

Would not recommend 

Certainly can't remember getting home that night.

Or where the 4 dozen rolls came from!

😄