Turkish Referee Assaulted

Sooperstar

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67688071

https://x.com/spflwatch/status/1734316170637901991?s=48&t=yoWAyjyliNy-k0Bg6ucLlA

All football in Turkey has been suspended after the President of 

Ankaragucu punched the referee after his side lost a 97th minute equaliser tonight. 

I have a feeling this could well lead to referees around the rest of Europe taking action and going on some sort of strike.

God knows what a suitable punishment for this is, considering the attacker is a senior club official and not just a radge fan. Expulsion from the league doesn't seem out of the question. 

Who knows how Turkish law works.  He should be charged with common assault and dealt with in the court system , but probably has enough money to make this disappear like it never happened. 

As my old grandad used to say You cannae have a game without a ref. Surely the guy who punched the ref and his club will be hammered to send a message. This makes Souness and his flag look like a tiff in trumpton.

35 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Love to see it happen here tbh🧐

Genuinely despise this type of sentiment. It's the reason why grassroots officials up and down the country are subject to horrific abuse, including physical abuse. 

Despite what people may believe, most referees are normal people, doing a job 99% of fans don't have the guts or ability to do, and the thanks they get is this type of drivel. 

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Genuinely despise this type of sentiment. It's the reason why grassroots officials up and down the country are subject to horrific abuse, including physical abuse. 

Despite what people may believe, most referees are normal people, doing a job 99% of fans don't have the guts or ability to do, and the thanks they get is this type of drivel. 

Sorry,at least I'm being honest on how I feel. Totally fed up the way the referees treat the clubs out with the bum cheeks on a weekly basis. Its plain for all to see,they don't even try to hide it now. Again I apologise,but not for my honesty 😔

He should be made to give up his club presidency and instead have it transferred to someone like Cowdenbeath.

In all seriousness, he needs jailed.  The videos are disgusting, he just lamps the referee who clearly isn't expecting it.

This video captures it better, at the 2 minute mark:

There are quite a lot of people getting sly kicks in when he's on the ground that the other videos I've seen don't capture properly.

Interestingly, Ankaragucu last year had a fan run onto the pitch who attacked players.

They should be kicked out of the league entirely.  Turkish football is an absolute joke, and most of the absolute ******s involved it it have no interest in the actual sport, but rather the excuse to be bellends and attack each other.

And Greece football just went closed doors for two months. 

Sad stuff for the supporter who just wants to support their local club peacefully. 

9 minutes ago, R9. said:

I remember Hugh Dallas being hit with a coin at Ibrox I was only a kid, I’m sure there was fans who invaded the pitch to confront him and his house was targeted after the Celtic Rangers game

Did Celtic get hit with fines for this or was it brushed under the carpet ?

I think you must have been hit by a coin.

He was hit at Celtic Park. The best supporters in the world couldn't handle the then Rangers scudding them 3-0 on their own patch and therefore winning the league. Even one Neil McCann scored for the then Rangers that day.

Violence never solves anything, doesn't matter how pissed off you get, it doesn't matter how big the injustice(s) is/are you must never ever resort to the hysterical madness that the lunatics in Turkey showed towards that official. 

I sincerely hope UEFA come down hard on these insane culprits and punish the perpetrators, the club and its fans to set a shining example to the rest that this uncontrollable mindset is just not on. 

To think back over the years how many injustices we've witnessed as Hearts Supporters, how many times the fans have raised the bar to vent their anger and frustration at the many officials who have leaned towards the opposition, can only think of Hibs August 1978 for when a Hearts fan confronted the referee on the pitch but without assaulting him. 

myn9sk.jpg

2009-01-15_22-45-11_Hearts%20v%20Hibs%201978%20referee%20attacked.jpg

Edited by dannymack

6 hours ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Agree. How are acts like these going to persuade people to take up refereeing. I know this was a club official but If it were up to me I’d have every professional footballer commit to a season or two of refereeing. Give something back to the game that way rather than moan about the standard.  

32 minutes ago, R9. said:

I remember Hugh Dallas being hit with a coin at Ibrox I was only a kid, I’m sure there was fans who invaded the pitch to confront him and his house was targeted after the Celtic Rangers game

Did Celtic get hit with fines for this or was it brushed under the carpet ?

That was at Celtic park, when Rangers won the league that day.  As well as being hit by the coin, a few fans ran on to the pitch to try and attack him.  His house windows also got tanned.

As you guessed, it all got swept under the carpet.

Bazzas right boot

Hate when folk hit folk that aren't expecting it, not only is it very cowardly,  it's very dangerous.

Guy should be jailed.

No referees- no football, I don't think it's a hobbie/ job that there is a huge waiting list to take up.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

The Treasurer
38 minutes ago, Yoda said:

That was at Celtic park, when Rangers won the league that day.  As well as being hit by the coin, a few fans ran on to the pitch to try and attack him.  His house windows also got tanned.

As you guessed, it all got swept under the carpet.

That's why they go to such lengths to avoid either cheek clinching the league in an OF match. 

The Black Prince

If it happened in a country with a proper set of laws and policing the guys would be gaoled for sure. Don't quite know how Turkey stacks up these days under Erdogan. If the Ankaragucu president is a mate of Erdogan it probably gets swept.

If I were king of UEFA the club gets banned for ten years. Harsh, I know, but that would send a message as to what is likely to happen in these sorts of situations so be careful who you vote for.

6 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

If it happened in a country with a proper set of laws and policing the guys would be gaoled for sure. Don't quite know how Turkey stacks up these days under Erdogan. If the Ankaragucu president is a mate of Erdogan it probably gets swept.

If I were king of UEFA the club gets banned for ten years. Harsh, I know, but that would send a message as to what is likely to happen in these sorts of situations so be careful who you vote for.

Does turkey not have laws?

Its the next kick in the head and nobody seems to bother about the boy dancing about after he's done it.  Fire the boys in the jail and suspend the club for a full season at least.

Rudi the Cocker Spaniel

Absolutely disgraceful but interested to know if anyone has seen the goal. Was it legitimate or not? It doesn't condone the punch but it might explain it. As for kicking a defenceless person in the head whilst they are on the ground, nothing can explain that.

Given that is a growing problem in Turkish football as mentioned by Galatasaray, i can imagine they may take this opportunity to boot them down a division to set a precedent.

I despise referees in Scotland as they are corrupt in my eyes.  I have nothing to base an opinion on Turkish referees however.  That been said I hate cheap shots and no one should get assaulted at work so I hope this thug gets the book thrown at him.

Some black eye this morning. 

Disgraceful scenes  

As diabolical ( corrupt) as the referee’s and all officials are on the country , I would hate to see that ever happen here  

This is why , in this country, there should be a system in place where club’s senior management can make a complaint about refereeing decisions at their clubs games, they could have, say 3 days after their game to lodge a complaint, then at the end of the season an in depth review held ( by EUFA hopefully),   that way the referees won’t know about them till the end of season thus no vendetta can be raised by them during the season.

The fans would know that there is a system in place for complaints and would cut out the feeling of injustice most fans feel, thus , maybe, stopping idiots assaulting officials.

It is only a matter of time before an assault on a ref happens in Scotland .

edit: just an idea.

Edited by jamboozy

1 minute ago, Scott980612 said:

Some black eye this morning. 

Disgraceful scenes  

As diabolical ( corrupt) as the referee’s and all officials are on the country , I would hate to see that ever happen here  

Feels like it is just a matter of time though . As you correctly pointed out they are corrupt and on top of that they are arrogant and never held to account . One day someone will lose their cool and react

1 minute ago, jamboozy said:

This is why , in this country, there should be a system in place where club’s senior management can make a complaint about refereeing decisions at their clubs games, they could have, say 3 days after their game to lodge a complaint, then at the end of the season an in depth review held ( by EUFA hopefully),   that way the referees won’t know about them till the end of season thus no vendetta can be raised by them during the season.

The fans would know that there is a system in place for complaints and would cut out the feeling of injustice most fans feel, thus , maybe, stopping idiots assaulting officials.

It is only a matter of time before an assault on a ref happens in Scotland .

edit: just an idea.

A good idea imo 

Just now, Sooks said:

A good idea imo 

Thanks, I just think something like this put in place would help diffuse situations, it would also help keep the referees and associations in line.

The Wrinkly Ninja

Would only be considered disgraceful in this country if it was any club other than Hibs, Celtic and rangers who can behave as they wish without so much as a peep from our governing bodies or the lapdog press.

If it was us we’d have the book thrown at us. If it was the other three there would be an inquest into refereeing that incites over exuberance. 

1 minute ago, windsor1874 said:

A very good idea imo.

Only problem is the feeling of vendetta can then be repaid by the referee the following season. You don't think Willie Collums just going to forget about it and start a nice clean slate over the summer? 

True, I suppose it could be done as a closed (secret) complaint box, but, as everyone knows, nothing stays secret for long in Scottish football.

On the footballing side, the president should be banned from footballing activities for life and the club docked points and forced to pay the referee compensation.

On the legal side, the president should be charged with GBH.

Anyone else involved in the assault, unless actively trying to prevent it, should be dealt with accordingly.

The Black Prince
3 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Does turkey not have laws?

Not sure.

I've been in Turkey three times and I am a lawyer...

But yeah... not sure.

4 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

The kick to the head when he was on the ground was much worse. 

At least 3 people in suits should get Lifetime bands from football based on that video. Assuming all 3 are club owners/employees the club should also get a large points deduction.

The police should also press charges for common assault and appropriate sentences applied.

I have no basis for this comment but I'd be interested to understand more the background of these three individuals, as to have the arrogance and self entitlement to even consider running on to the field seems bizarre. Seems like behavior that anyone with a normal business background would never consider.

Edited by DalryJambo

9 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

At least 3 people in suits should get Lifetime bands from football based on that video. Assuming all 3 are club owners/employees the club should also get a large points deduction.

The police should also press charges for common assault and appropriate sentences applied.

I have no basis for this comment but I'd be interested to understand more the background of these three individuals, as to have the arrogance and self entitlement to even consider running on to the field seems bizarre. Seems like behavior that anyone with a normal business background would never consider.

Read up on the president Faruk Koca, he's a Politician ffs!! What went through his head! 

5 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

Read up on the president Faruk Koca, he's a Politician ffs!! What went through his head! 

"I'm untouchable and have been wronged."

Like so many people in positions of power. 

We all get upset and angry when you see blatant bias from the officials in our case the SFA it seems at times to be every week.  Most if not all vent their anger verbally however physically attacking an official is totally unacceptable and wrong. 
We can all name the officials in question and they do get dogs abuse at the ground or on social media but there is a line that should not be crossed. 
How to deal with the “bad and biased” officiating which causes the anger is a question that needs answering before it kicks off here. The Beaks in Glasgow have a lot to answer for the solution needs to start with them. 

Edited by Don Dan

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I despise referees in Scotland as they are corrupt in my eyes.  I have nothing to base an opinion on Turkish referees however.  That been said I hate cheap shots and no one should get assaulted at work so I hope this thug gets the book thrown at him.

:spoton:

Thunder and Lightning

Not sure i agree the CLUB should be thrown out the league, this was the actions on people, not the club.

I do hope those involved are banned from football and face justice tho.

By The Light..

Anyone that physically assaults a match official needs jailed.

And that club president of MKE Ankwhatever needs emptied.

I get the OF bias and "Rangers Penalty" conspiracy (but we've seen some rank UEFA refs recently also) so maybe the SFA or whoever the ruling body is for refs is should try and encourage refs from out of Scotland and some diversity.

1 minute ago, By The Light.. said:

Anyone that physically assaults a match official needs jailed.

And that club president of MKE Ankwhatever needs emptied.

I get the OF bias and "Rangers Penalty" conspiracy (but we've seen some rank UEFA refs recently also) so maybe the SFA or whoever the ruling body is for refs is should try and encourage refs from out of Scotland and some diversity.

Absolutely. 

I P Knightley
6 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

No referees- no football, I don't think it's a hobbie/ job that there is a huge waiting list to take up.

I've watched grassroots football for a few years and spoken to many a Sunday morning ref who questions why he's bothered getting out of bed to take that level of shit for £25 or £30. Shortage of refs coming through to replace those who walk away is a problem. 

In Knightley Jr's U-18 league, they managed to get a ref and two linos for each match but that was at quite a high standard. In lower divisions, they go with a ref only and offside is called by the ref - often wrongly. I've noticed the same with East of Scotland league matches, they can only muster up a ref and, obviously, they're not going to chance getting volunteers from each club to run the line. 

People go to matches expecting to be able to shout and swear at the referees, even in the much lower profile games. It possibly contributes to the job attracting people of a certain personality or disposition. 

At the end of the day its assault and they should be punished with jail time and some ban put on them to avoid them returning to football. No place in football for that behavior. 

In all honesty I am surprised this has never happened in Scotland, given how bad and arrogant referees are.

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, R9. said:

Must of been some hook

the guy is in hospital with a neck brace on 

IMG_1839.jpeg

If someone isn't braced for impact and hit  full force it's very dangerous. 

Easy to sucker punch some poor ******* just strolling along doing his job.

Nothing strong about it, it's cowardly as ****, a grown man coud easily kill someone or do permenant  damage if the poor ******* is not expecting it.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

22 minutes ago, R9. said:

Must of been some hook

the guy is in hospital with a neck brace on 

IMG_1839.jpeg

he got kicked in the head while on the ground