AGM ( merged )

Greedy Jambo

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, i wish jj was my dad said:

Yeah. Not expecting agreement and no issue with that. 👍

There are plenty reasons to criticise the club or board for but not accommodating Billy Davies isn't one-off them. It would be like Tommy McLean with an unlimited credit card. 

Absolutely agree with you on that , a wouldn't want Billy Davies anywhere near the Hearts job

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• Sooks

• davemclaren

• Selkirkhmfc1874

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Who did we approach and why were we not able to find someone who would be interested that was keen on the job ? If it is salary then we need to learn from that and adjust budgets accordingly because manager is too important a position to fill with a rookie and the risks of when you do this are glaringly obvious because we are seeing it happen right now 

You talk a lot about how we were KBd by managers for multiple reasons but I have seen no detail of any of this . If Naismith was the best candidate then quite obviously we did not do a thorough enough search for candidates

Jeez where to start. They couldn’t divulge who we approached due to confidentiality and also because some of them are currently in jobs. The managers salary isn’t the only issue.  Yes we could push the boat out and pay someone £15k pw. But managers that earn that sort of money expect to work with players who earn £10-15k pw or more. We can’t afford that. If we offered Pep a million a week but no increase in player budget do you think he would come?   
No detail of kb’s other than McKinlay saying the several candidates we approached directly or indirectly all knocked us back. I’m not going to type that again. 
Again, at the agm, and has been reported on here he didn’t say Naismith was the best candidate he said he was, in the Boards view, the least risky candidate of those that were interested so they went with him. 

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It does not have to be a lie though . They just did not do a good enough job of identifying possible candidates 

He made a number of very forthright comments on the process and what happened.  
If the candidates are not there what does a Board do?  Take the next best candidate. Take the least risky candidate. Think that’s what they  did.  The big error the Board made, imo, was firing Neilson without having any sort of succession plan in place or even considered. They have got off with that one because that’s the real issue here and it wasn’t even raised at the agm. 

6 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

One of the questions he was answering loads of shareholders started laughing at him while lots of comments in the room about him 

That was MotM award. 

6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Jeez where to start. They couldn’t divulge who we approached due to confidentiality and also because some of them are currently in jobs. The managers salary isn’t the only issue.  Yes we could push the boat out and pay someone £15k pw. But managers that earn that sort of money expect to work with players who earn £10-15k pw or more. We can’t afford that. If we offered Pep a million a week but no increase in player budget do you think he would come?   
No detail of kb’s other than McKinlay saying the several candidates we approached directly or indirectly all knocked us back. I’m not going to type that again. 
Again, at the agm, and has been reported on here he didn’t say Naismith was the best candidate he said he was, in the Boards view, the least risky candidate of those that were interested so they went with him. 

Nope not having that either . There are plenty good managers who would look at our squad and think “ I could do a job with these guys “ . The player nonsense is an excuse being made for the poor performance of the rookie coach 

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

If the candidates are not there what does a Board do?  Take the next best candidate. Take the least risky candidate. Think that’s what they  did.  The big error the Board made, imo, was firing Neilson without having any sort of succession plan in place or even considered. They have got off with that one because that’s the real issue here and it wasn’t even raised at the agm. 

Can you quote me this number of forthrite comments please 

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Can you quote me this number of forthrite comments please 

Already have more than once so not doing it again   Got a game to go to  

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Nope not having that either . There are plenty good managers who would look at our squad and think “ I could do a job with these guys “ . The player nonsense is an excuse being made for the poor performance of the rookie coach 

Don’t know what player nonsense you are on about  

Can someone please find and link the thread where Anderson was at a Shareholders dinner and made the comments about the importance of managers please . I am having trouble finding it . TIA

Ford Prentice

I thought Mckinley was pretty frank. There were not many applicants, no interest from those in jobs whom they sounded out directly or indirectly, they thought/hoped Naismith was the least risky option of the few in front of them. Performances have not been up to scratch and an improvement is wanted in the run up to the winter break. Naismith is a "football man" and "gets it" i.e. he knows he has to sort it out quickly or he's out. Budge seemed more inclined to give Naismith time than McKinley. My assumption was if no upturn before the winter break he'll be out.

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Ford Prentice said:

I thought Mckinley was pretty frank. There were not many applicants, no interest from those in jobs whom they sounded out directly or indirectly, they thought/hoped Naismith was the least risky option of the few in front of them. Performances have not been up to scratch and an improvement is wanted in the run up to the winter break. Naismith is a "football man" and "gets it" i.e. he knows he has to sort it out quickly or he's out. Budge seemed more inclined to give Naismith time than McKinley. My assumption was if no upturn before the winter break he'll be out.

Mckinlay gave a long speech hoping that no questions would be asked imo

It does not have to be a lie though . They just did not do a good enough job of identifying possible candidates 

They never do. This is where the entire project completely fails. There can only be a few reasons;

1. Lack of knowledge & skillset to interview capable clients who will quickly identify your incompetency.

2. Fear of bringing on Board a demanding & powerful character who is not going to suffer fools gladly - which is very much a requirement of any Manager.

3. Apathy.

4. Arrogance

(it's possibly all of the above.)

In terms of football team matters I do find there is apathy from the Board towards increasing experience within the set-up from Directors, Managers, Recruitment, etc. They will not deviate from an original template in situ from when AB took over.

Arrogantly, the Board brush off the need for a solid search which is usually an intensive & scrutinised spell at any club - generally involveing significant industry awareness - & yet, none of that is remotely evident. When I listen to AM, AB or JA I do not hear people who know about football. In fact, AM has nothing to offer in football knowledge & the other 2 clearly don't. Additionally, recruitment from either of JS or WL is abysmal. While the Rookie Manager is supposed to work with said colleagues? A rookie will always require extra support. I don't buy any of it.

An amateur set-up in a pro club - if truth be told I have seen better football Board knowledge in the Highland League.

All that is being said is "ADD someone with football club business experience to the Board to make those decisions." - Is it really that much to ask of a FAN-owned football club whose fans know you don't have the necessary skills?

There is no complicated solution required.

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, hmfc1440 said:

They never do. This is where the entire project completely fails. There can only be a few reasons;

1. Lack of knowledge & skillset to interview capable clients who will quickly identify your incompetency.

2. Fear of bringing on Board a demanding & powerful character who is not going to suffer fools gladly - which is very much a requirement of any Manager.

3. Apathy.

4. Arrogance

(it's possibly all of the above.)

In terms of football team matters I do find there is apathy from the Board towards increasing experience within the set-up from Directors, Managers, Recruitment, etc. They will not deviate from an original template in situ from when AB took over.

Arrogantly, the Board brush off the need for a solid search which is usually an intensive & scrutinised spell at any club - generally involveing significant industry awareness - & yet, none of that is remotely evident. When I listen to AM, AB or JA I do not hear people who know about football. In fact, AM has nothing to offer in football knowledge & the other 2 clearly don't. Additionally, recruitment from either of JS or WL is abysmal. While the Rookie Manager is supposed to work with said colleagues? A rookie will always require extra support. I don't buy any of it.

An amateur set-up in a pro club - if truth be told I have seen better football Board knowledge in the Highland League.

All that is being said is "ADD someone with football club business experience to the Board to make those decisions." - Is it really that much to ask of a FAN-owned football club whose fans know you don't have the necessary skills?

There is no complicated solution required.

This

4 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

So from that I am expected to believe that 

Out of a 200 plus national associations with multiple divisions , taking out candidates who lack experience , do not speak English , and all the reasonable elimination criteria ……….

Steven Naismith who had managed the B Team to mid table in the lowland league was a better candidate than everyone else that we could afford ? Nope sorry 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Out of a 200 plus national associations with multiple divisions , taking out candidates who lack experience , do not speak English , and all the reasonable elimination criteria ……….

Steven Naismith who had managed the B Team to mid table in the lowland league was a better candidate than everyone else that we could afford ? Nope sorry 

He's talking pish buddy , there's plenty experienced managers with a track record out there who would bite your hand off to manage Heart Of Midlothian Football Club 

Selkirkhmfc1874

And btw Mrs Budge said wasn't cheap option and money was there 

36 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Some fans still think we're an attractive proposition for a random coach, the penny hasn't dropped yet.

32 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Very much this and the SPFL is getting less attractive every season

Totally this, why would a top manager or coach want to come to Scotland and manage a team where the best finish in the league would be third and maybe get to a cup final every few years, maybe even win one every decade or more, oh and probably have to take a large wage cut in the process.

Outwith of the ugly sisters Scotland isn't an attractive prospect for top players and coaches alike.

Just now, Sooks said:

This.....It's not as if the Hearts job is a poison chalice. Hearts managers get more rope than others, especially under Budge.

Far too easy to say the pool of applicants was poor. And the other thing. I'm not buying into this Scottish fitbaw, league stuff is crap and will not attract suitable candidates.

Teams in Norway, Sweden seem to attract decent managers, coaches nae bother. They play in front of about 6,000 fans on artificial surfaces. Punch well above their weight.

The problem regarding recruitment is deeply rooted with this board.      

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

He's talking pish buddy , there's plenty experienced managers with a track record out there who would bite your hand off to manage Heart Of Midlothian Football Club 

honestly, not meaning to be court an arguement but I genuinely don’t believe there are.  That’s why hearts, hibs and Aberdeen have employed who we’ve employed.

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

honestly, not meaning to be court an arguement but I genuinely don’t believe there are.  That’s why hearts, hibs and Aberdeen have employed who we’ve employed.

We'll agree to disagree buddy 

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Totally this, why would a top manager or coach want to come to Scotland and manage a team where the best finish in the league would be third and maybe get to a cup final every few years, maybe even win one every decade or more, oh and probably have to take a large wage cut in the process.

Outwith of the ugly sisters Scotland isn't an attractive prospect for top players and coaches alike.

For the same reason players want to come here, for an eventual route to England if they are successful enough. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

This.....It's not as if the Hearts job is a poison chalice. Hearts managers get more rope than others, especially under Budge.

Far too easy to say the pool of applicants was poor. And the other thing. I'm not buying into this Scottish fitbaw, league stuff is crap and will not attract suitable candidates.

Teams in Norway, Sweden seem to attract decent managers, coaches nae bother. They play in front of about 6,000 fans on artificial surfaces. Punch well above their weight.

I don’t think you realise, just how impoverished Scottish football is.  And how far we’ve been left behind.  Here is an example.

Norwegian Football: The new six-season deal, which spans TV and digital rights, runs from 2023 to 2028 and is worth NOK 4.5 billion (US$513.4 million),

1 minute ago, May98 said:

For the same reason players want to come here, for an eventual route to England if they are successful enough. 

Meaning they are not top players or coaches to start with, if they were they'd be in England already.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, May98 said:

We don’t exactly have a proven track record in that regard. Becuase it’s almost impossible to be successful as a coach in Scotland.  Third is the very best you can achieve, for us it’s also the minimum expectation. And it need to be achieved against a background of questionable officiating with players of hugely limited quality.

This thread is a good example of why Hearts will never achieve anything with the current board in place - lots on this thread are happy with what’s served up every week. Why would they bother trying to do better?

Folk making out that a club that turned over 20 million quid in the last financial year find it too hard to conduct a proper recruitment process to find someone with the basic level of qualifications and that we should be grateful our B team manager, a postie and a dud coach from the previous sacked setup is the best we can do :lol:

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Boab Mugabe said:

This thread is a good example of why Hearts will never achieve anything with the current board in place - lots on this thread are happy with what’s served up every week. Why would they bother trying to do better?

Folk making out that a club that turned over 20 million quid in the last financial year find it too hard to conduct a proper recruitment process to find someone with the basic level of qualifications and that we should be grateful our B team manager, a postie and a dud coach from the previous sacked setup is the best we can do :lol:

:spoton:

8 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Same . Do well at Hearts and you can get a gig at a higher level . Also there are plenty managers who would look at our squad of international players and think to himself , I could get a tune out of that squad . Then its Europa or Conference League on your CV

I would love to know what the criteria were for our last appointment . I am starting to think it was written with Naismith in mind 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

There is nothing to suggest any of those guys, including Naismith, are going to be top managers. Absolutely nothing, other than pure speculation 

Kinda my point!!! We can either appoint a guy who could be an up and comer and hope to catch lightning. Or we could appoint Tommy Wright. I know my pref.

20 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Who? 

**** it . I have made my opinions clear and I will try and just leave it there now . Nothing is going to change now unless it is Naismith turning things around . So for that reason I will stop moaning about it and support them to improve . So ****ing frustrating 

6 minutes ago, Boab Mugabe said:

Yip the current board don't view us as a football team first and foremost. I also find it astonishing the amount of folk on here who are happy to to accept the mediocre crap being served on the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I don’t think you realise, just how impoverished Scottish football is.  And how far we’ve been left behind.  Here is an example.

Norwegian Football: The new six-season deal, which spans TV and digital rights, runs from 2023 to 2028 and is worth NOK 4.5 billion (US$513.4 million),

I think everyone realises it. The standard line on here is "why cant we beat (insert any SPFL team you like), they're Shit. "Worse (insert any SPFL team you like) team ive seen for years.

Unfortunately we're just as poor.

Im watching Ipswich v Norwich right now. Its an exceptional watch so far, better than any SPFL game ive watched for years. Quick, attacking honest game of football.

Meanwhile the same handful of Scottish teams will be kicking off soon for the millionth time this month with the same ref.

Tricky understanding why we cant get a tv deal.

Bazzas right boot
47 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I  should have attended, it's the most important question and one the board should really answer. 

Really simple,  "on sacking Bob, what was your plan to replace him with better, if there was no plan why sack him?

16 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Meaning they are not top players or coaches to start with, if they were they'd be in England already.

Perhaps not top coaches, but they can be successful or experienced coaches looking to work in the UK. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 minutes ago, Boab Mugabe said:

****ing incredible innit.

and a dream for a dullard like Budge

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

**** it . I have made my opinions clear and I will try and just leave it there now . Nothing is going to change now unless it is Naismith turning things around . So for that reason I will stop moaning about it and support them to improve . So ****ing frustrating 

You are allowed an opinion and every right to be frustrated. The football isn’t great and some results haven’t been what we wanted. However sacking managers every season isn’t the way this club should go, he isn’t having disaster but he’s doing ‘fine’ he’s got a big 5 games before the winter break, I’d like to see us in 3rd or a point or two off it come after the livi game.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Kinda my point!!! We can either appoint a guy who could be an up and comer and hope to catch lightning. Or we could appoint Tommy Wright. I know my pref.

Or you don't fire successful managers on the first place and back the manager in any divide( like they did after Bora).

Nb- unless we are bottoming out in bottoming 6 or worse ofc, sometimes the risk is worth it, all to gain nothing to lose scenario,  but we were no where near that situation.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

You are allowed an opinion and every right to be frustrated. The football isn’t great and some results haven’t been what we wanted. However sacking managers every season isn’t the way this club should go, he isn’t having disaster but he’s doing ‘fine’ he’s got a big 5 games before the winter break, I’d like to see us in 3rd or a point or two off it come after the livi game.

Fair.

16 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

We don’t exactly have a proven track record in that regard. Becuase it’s almost impossible to be successful as a coach in Scotland.  Third is the very best you can achieve, for us it’s also the minimum expectation. And it need to be achieved against a background of questionable officiating with players of hugely limited quality.

We don't, no.  But that doesn't mean to say it's not the caliber of coaches we should we should be aspiring to bring in. 

3rd should be achievable most seasons with a contempt coach that's above average.  A coach comes in that manages to achieve that for a couple of years, give the bigots a good game from time to time and have us playing well, perhaps a very good result or two in Europe then there's a pathway there to England.  That's what we should be looking at. 

2 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

However sacking managers every season isn’t the way this club should go,

No it isnt, I agree . THAT is why it is so important to make the best possible appointment when the time comes 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Sooks said:

No it isnt, I agree . THAT is why it is so important to make the best possible appointment when the time comes 

This is the entire point in the whole debate. With regards to Naismith, the original appointment was the problem. Naismith should never have got the job, and the board know it. They’re decision to give the job to him should call their own positions into question.

7 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

Yip the current board don't view us as a football team first and foremost. I also find it astonishing the amount of folk on here who are happy to to accept the mediocre crap being served on the pitch. 

Agreed. There is a difference between being realistic and an apologist. I definitely fall in the former category.

There is a gulf in scale of management candidate. And yet the best we can come up with!

Did the big balloon even try to address the issue about UEFA rules?

Not fit for purpose any of them. 

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This is the entire point in the whole debate. With regards to Naismith, the original appointment was the problem. Naismith should never have got the job, and the board know it. They’re decision to give the job to him should call their own positions into question.

Probably not deserving of calling their positions in to question , but not learning from it next time might be 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Other than a list of potential names don’t think Savage should be heavily involved in the manager hunt.  His position, and he himself, are two big factories as to candidates being interested.  The Board should have looked at the bigger picture and determined whether the status quo structure was working and was the one to go forward with. Outwith the OF not many clubs in Scotland have a DoF or SD. Outwith the epl neither do too many English clubs. These positions are for big clubs which we are not 

Interesting points you've made there.  I've always  assumed its a legacy from 2014 when AB became the owner and needed a football person to do all the stuff related to players, coaches  etc, and  trusted  CL to do that.  tbf, it worked very well for 3 years.   I also assumed our Covid demotion prompted her to recruit a replacement (Savage) after she sacked CL.   

Do Burrows  at Aberdeen and Kensell at Hibs not perform similar roles to Savage ?   Liaise with recruitment folk,  do the player contract negotiations, recruit coaches/manager etc ?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Interesting points you've made there.  I've always  assumed its a legacy from 2014 when AB became the owner and needed a football person to do all the stuff related to players, coaches  etc, and  trusted  CL to do that.  tbf, it worked very well for 3 years.   I also assumed our Covid demotion prompted her to recruit a replacement (Savage) after she sacked CL.   

Do Burrows  at Aberdeen and Kensell at Hibs not perform similar roles to Savage ?   Liaise with recruitment folk,  do the player contract negotiations, recruit coaches/manager etc ?

most clubs have individuals like that these days. Savage’s position isn’t unusual. He just doesn’t seem very good at it.

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Or you don't fire successful managers on the first place and back the manager in any divide( like they did after Bora).

Nb- unless we are bottoming out in bottoming 6 or worse ofc, sometimes the risk is worth it, all to gain nothing to lose scenario,  but we were no where near that situation.

He should have been sacked after Brora.

2 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Agreed. There is a difference between being realistic and an apologist. I definitely fall in the former category.

There is a gulf in scale of management candidate. And yet the best we can come up with!

Did the big balloon even try to address the issue about UEFA rules?

Not fit for purpose any of them. 

For the current board to believe that Naismith was the best option shows how far out of touch with reality they actually are. That Buffoon McKinlay told us an experienced would be appreciated and instead we get an absolute gamble of a appointment. The he's manager one week and he's the manager this midweek was pretty embarrassingat the start of the season. I've been going to Tynecastle since 78/79 season and I've watched some shit in that time but a majority of those bad times were because the club was financially toiling. Finance certainly isn't the issue at the moment it's the boards poor appointment of Managers Recruitment and Coaching that's the issue.