Ok McGhee, we get it.....sheesh

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/18/SPL-McGhee-not-ruled-by-cash/

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee has revealed that if money was his only concern, he would have quit to join Hearts.

The 51-year-old looked set to take the reins at Tynecastle in May before a change of heart kept him at Fir Park, rejecting a reported ?1 million over three years in Edinburgh.

?Financially, it would?ve been as good a deal in football as I?ve ever had,? he told The Scottish Sun.

?If it had been just about money then I would?ve gone in an instant. It?s way out of the league this offer.

?All the talk about Vladimir [Romanov, the Hearts supremo] didn?t bother me. That could?ve all been brought under control and I think they could be successful.

?But it just didn?t seem right for me. The timing wasn?t right. I?d only been here a year.

?Motherwell gave me the opportunity and I felt as if I owed them a wee bit. Also the chance to lead the club into the Uefa Cup was huge for me. I have always wanted that as a manager, to test myself as a manager in Europe.?

Meanwhile, Motherwell lost 2-1 to Romanian champions CFR Cluj in Austria on Thursday night.

Manuel Caali opened the scoring for Cluj before David Clarkson equalised at the start of the second half.

The Steelmen, conceded a late winner by Cristian Sanchez Prette, but have serious injury worries over Brian McLean who suffered medial ligament damage and is awaiting a MRI scan to assess any damage to his cruciate ligament.

The question is, Who is he trying to convince?

Was just going to post similar everyone else has moved on but he is constantly in the press trying to convince himself that he has made the right choice.

Damn right - I wish he'd just shut the **** up and stop talking about us.

We get it, you turned the job down, now get over it - we have.

To be fair to him, he was probably questioned about it by the reporter and was just answering them. The Sun are to blame for continually asking the same old crap in the hope he'll slate Romanov.

Chad Sexington

Maybe he's starting to realise he might have dropped a bollock on that one.

When Well get pumped out of Europe and they're playing in front of 6000 every week, he'll have time to reflect on his decision.

:rolleyes:

I hope Motherwell take a right royal shafting in Europe and finish 2nd bottom of the league (ahead of St Midden)

Patrick Bateman

Am I alone in thinking that McGhee is acting with a bit of dignity? He could have easily said VR put him off, etc etc, but didn't.

Am I alone in thinking that McGhee is acting with a bit of dignity? He could have easily said VR put him off, etc etc, but didn't.

I agree. I think he is mad if he means what he says though! ;)

We will see if it is a missed opportunity for either side though. At this point I would rather we had McGhee as manager than Laszlo though hopefully it will go the other way this year.

Don't be so reasonable ;)

marshallschunkychicken

The constant attempts at justification make me think he is trying to convince himself he hasn't made a huge mistake.

Water under the bridge for us. He should be seeing it in the same manner.

motherwell season 2007/2008's one season wonders.

he is hangin about for the celtic job im pretty sure of that, all this guff about owing something to motherwell is just smoke.

dont think he would have hung about at hearts long anyway assuming vlad didnt sack him so no great loss.

alwaysthereinspirit
The question is, Who is he trying to convince?

His wife.

"are you $#!tting me. I could have been shopping in George Street. You better not regret this decision. You had better get the Sheltic job next year or you're in the spare room"

Meanwhile, Motherwell lost 2-1 to Romanian champions CFR Cluj in Austria on Thursday night.

Was in Cluj a few years back.

The place was a toilet!

:runaway:

Dr. Bapswent
Was in Cluj a few years back.

The place was a toilet!

:runaway:

Been there myself.

Was ok in parts.

preferred Sighisoara.

Been there myself.

Was ok in parts.

preferred Sighisoara.

Sorry, it was supposed to be a joke. Not a very good one, obviously!

Johanes de Silentio

I remember hearing McGhee say in a radio interview that he'd decided to 'stick it out' at Motherwell - hardly an oath of fealty to his employers!

Guest jambomickey

bottom line is he decided he didn't want to join us so why does he keep answering questions about us?

rumbles1874
bottom line is he decided he didn't want to join us so why does he keep answering questions about us?

the guy can only answer what he is asked, i think he is pi**ed of with answering the same question but as it was said all the sun are wanting is a quote saying that vald told me i would not have full control of the team, so he has done well not just to give in and say that,

To be fair to him, he was probably questioned about it by the reporter and was just answering them. The Sun are to blame for continually asking the same old crap in the hope he'll slate Romanov.

:fing25:

shaun.lawson

Er - because he's asked them, maybe?

That's all this is: Hearts have just appointed a new manager, and everyone knows McGhee was our first choice: so it's natural for the press to ask his thoughts on it. When he turned us down, he noticeably said he'd have had no problem working with Vlad, and enthused about our potential and the size of the club - he's hardly sticking the boot in or anything.

Ultimately, I suspect he concluded that on balance, he'd be more likely to get the Celtic job by repeating what he did last season with Motherwell, where he's established, has a settled team and so on, than gambling everything at a club where the job security would be far less, and it'd be difficult initially to achieve more than 3rd place anyway. A pay rise from Boyle (though still nothing like what we were offering) and the guarantee that none of his players would be sold (which might well lead to Well getting into trouble at some point after he's left) was enough to convince him to stay - though whether he succeeds Strachan or not, if he's still there this time next year, I'll be very surprised.

Guest jambomickey
Er - because he's asked them, maybe?

That's all this is: Hearts have just appointed a new manager, and everyone knows McGhee was our first choice: so it's natural for the press to ask his thoughts on it. When he turned us down, he noticeably said he'd have had no problem working with Vlad, and enthused about our potential and the size of the club - he's hardly sticking the boot in or anything.

Ultimately, I suspect he concluded that on balance, he'd be more likely to get the Celtic job by repeating what he did last season with Motherwell, where he's established, has a settled team and so on, than gambling everything at a club where the job security would be far less, and it'd be difficult initially to achieve more than 3rd place anyway. A pay rise from Boyle (though still nothing like what we were offering) and the guarantee that none of his players would be sold (which might well lead to Well getting into trouble at some point after he's left) was enough to convince him to stay - though whether he succeeds Strachan or not, if he's still there this time next year, I'll be very surprised.

fair enough but surely he's answered all the questions now and anyway his focus should be on motherwell! we've moved on from mark mcghee

Sounds like he keeps getting asked the same question and giving the same answer. He is dead right in that he does have a record of jumping ship at the first offer that comes his way. Perhaps he is both proud of himself for staying put for once and also frustrated at the missed opportunity as 'Well will be out of Europe in 2-4 matches.

Maybe the truth is he is now kicking himself for not taking the job - especially now that appears the Strachan is staying at Celtic Park. All the talk from him is to ensure that he might not be ruled out of the job in the future.

shaun.lawson
Sounds like he keeps getting asked the same question and giving the same answer. He is dead right in that he does have a record of jumping ship at the first offer that comes his way. Perhaps he is both proud of himself for staying put for once and also frustrated at the missed opportunity as 'Well will be out of Europe in 2-4 matches.

Er, better to be out of Europe in 2-4 matches than not in Europe at all! And you never know: I'm very curious to see how they get on, especially given the results of Scottish clubs have been steadily improving. I mean, no-one gave Aberdeen a chance of getting through the first round last season, yet they were still there come the last 32 - and if they can do it, McGhee's Well might be able to do something as well. We'll see.

Er, better to be out of Europe in 2-4 matches than not in Europe at all! And you never know: I'm very curious to see how they get on, especially given the results of Scottish clubs have been steadily improving. I mean, no-one gave Aberdeen a chance of getting through the first round last season, yet they were still there come the last 32 - and if they can do it, McGhee's Well might be able to do something as well. We'll see.

But Aberdeen have a proud European pedigree and a reputation of old which gives the players that extra little bit. Motherwell have always been cannon fodder in Europe (usually for Finnish teams). They will go nowhere IMHO

shaun.lawson
But Aberdeen have a proud European pedigree and a reputation of old which gives the players that extra little bit. Motherwell have always been cannon fodder in Europe (usually for Finnish teams). They will go nowhere IMHO

They'll probably go nowhere - which frankly, is generally all we've managed ourselves most of the time. But I think this Motherwell side are a cut above McLeish's lot from a bit over a decade ago, and I rate MM as a tactician too. I wouldn't normally expect anyone outside Scotland's Big Five to have the slightest chance of European progress - but in this case, am curious to see what transpires.

motherwell season 2007/2008's one season wonders.

he is hangin about for the celtic job im pretty sure of that, all this guff about owing something to motherwell is just smoke.

dont think he would have hung about at hearts long anyway assuming vlad didnt sack him so no great loss.

I agree 100% let him rot

Archived