Another private parking fine thread..

moz

Hi Folks

Can guess the answer to this but thought to ask for any advice anyway

Daughter met her pals at Starbucks at Heartlands on the M8 and spent over the allowed 90 minutes in there

Now she has received the parking fine from a private company "VARS Technology"

£100 but £60 if paid early....can she ignore these?

As a side note...where the hell do they get the £100 figure from ??

Sure if they said its a £20 fine more would actually just pay up  !

7 minutes ago, moz said:

Hi Folks

Daughter met her pals at Starbucks at Heartlands on the M8 and spent over the allowed 90 minutes in there

They can likely make up the fine whatever they want. £100 will scare folk into paying the £60.

I'd be ignoring.

been here before
9 minutes ago, moz said:

Hi Folks

Given every other thread on this has told you the same thing time after time and given you already  know the answer, why not just get her to pay it and let us know what happens?

@moz

Curious, was she in Starbucks the whole time?

Or was it a case of parking there and being a passenger in an other car before returning hours later:lol:

2nd scenario, no sympathy.  But ignore anyway.👍

6 hours ago, moz said:

Hi Folks

Time limits are getting farcical now, more so when the car park is half full, even worse when paying for goods within said car park, ignore, VARS who, never heard o them.

100% ignore mate. It’s an absolute scam. 

I got one of these for parking for a matter of minutes behind the Nike store up at Straiton after I’d been to the McDonalds drive thru. Big note reduced to £60 if paid immediately. I ignored it. I then got maybe three or four more over the next year or so, and ignored them too. It’s hilarious. They get progressively more desperate. “You may have missed our previous letters, but by choosing not to deal with this one, you are informing us that you’re making an active choice to ignore us” (who’s to say I even got the other letters? Who’s to say I got this letter?). If the letters ain’t recorded delivery (which they won’t be) then these companies have no idea if you’ve even received their letters. So ignore them. I’ve heard of folk contacting these companies to dispute the fine…DONT DO THAT!!! Don’t don’t don’t get in touch with them under any circumstances. 

They’re absolute scumbags mate who make up their “fines” as they go along. Just ignore them. 

I read once that they’ve got five years to try and screw you over. My letters from them have dried up the last wee while. I think it must’ve been just over four years ago I committed the “crime”…and lo and behold the letters have started again. ***** obviously know they’re in last chance saloon 🤣🤣🤣

Did I mention that you should just ignore them? 🤔👍🏼

Bottom line. If the ticket is issued by the police or council then pay it. Otherwise no chance. End thread and all other threads about this. 

Don’t pay. They can’t and won’t enforce it. 

They will send a few letters, then they will stop. 

The end. 

13 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

@moz

Curious, was she in Starbucks the whole time?

Or was it a case of parking there and being a passenger in an other car before returning hours later:lol:

2nd scenario, no sympathy.  But ignore anyway.👍

Definitely first scenario....absolutely.:)

She has just passed her test and it was Uni kids meeting up for coffee / catch up....was dark when she parked and she never noticed the signange....newby driver mistake

11 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

100% ignore mate. It’s an absolute scam. 

I got one of these for parking for a matter of minutes behind the Nike store up at Straiton after I’d been to the McDonalds drive thru. Big note reduced to £60 if paid immediately. I ignored it. I then got maybe three or four more over the next year or so, and ignored them too. It’s hilarious. They get progressively more desperate. “You may have missed our previous letters, but by choosing not to deal with this one, you are informing us that you’re making an active choice to ignore us” (who’s to say I even got the other letters? Who’s to say I got this letter?). If the letters ain’t recorded delivery (which they won’t be) then these companies have no idea if you’ve even received their letters. So ignore them. I’ve heard of folk contacting these companies to dispute the fine…DONT DO THAT!!! Don’t don’t don’t get in touch with them under any circumstances. 

They’re absolute scumbags mate who make up their “fines” as they go along. Just ignore them. 

I read once that they’ve got five years to try and screw you over. My letters from them have dried up the last wee while. I think it must’ve been just over four years ago I committed the “crime”…and lo and behold the letters have started again. ***** obviously know they’re in last chance saloon 🤣🤣🤣

Did I mention that you should just ignore them? 🤔👍🏼

Top man.....thanks for the input  !

9 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Don’t pay. They can’t and won’t enforce it. 

They will send a few letters, then they will stop. 

The end. 

Is it not the case that they actually can enforce it but the cost of doing so in court outweighs the £100 they'd recoup?

That's why younsee the body case where someone has racked up £30k worth if fines and they do actually go to the bother of taking them through court.

20 hours ago, been here before said:

Given every other thread on this has told you the same thing time after time and given you already  know the answer, why not just get her to pay it and let us know what happens?

Maybe hes still in shock, doubt u get fines wi a bicycle.

16 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Is it not the case that they actually can enforce it but the cost of doing so in court outweighs the £100 they'd recoup?

That's why younsee the body case where someone has racked up £30k worth if fines and they do actually go to the bother of taking them through court.

They have have to prove it was the registered keeper who was driving. Think when it comes to the 30k worth of tickets they have to be seen to try and enforce it otherwise why even hire a parking company?

I reckon like you say it isn’t cost effected to chase small fines. 

7 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I know a guy, he can wipe your fine for a fee of just £10. He doesn’t want this widely publicised, so send me the tenner and I’ll pass it on. 

It can take a while for the database to update so you might still get letters. Just ignore them, it’s cool. 

:gok:

I remember one of these threads from about 6 or 7 years back, where one poster was adamant that the laws would be changing 'very soon' and we would all be eating our words regarding private parking fines. Would love to hear his response to this. 

2 hours ago, jambo89 said:

I remember one of these threads from about 6 or 7 years back, where one poster was adamant that the laws would be changing 'very soon' and we would all be eating our words regarding private parking fines. Would love to hear his response to this. 

He has now gone on to other things when his private parking company failed.

57 minutes ago, R9. said:

I was on a Facebook group for these parking letters ages ago, and it was more aimed at English fines folk posting pictures of letters and the admin would say it was fine to ignore or not.

If it wasn’t fine he would offer services to take over it, He would reply to the letter before on your behalf and get it ended there and then for a fee. I will find the group and post it on here. 

The first time I got one, years ago before the ignore thing was well known, I asked them if they could provide me with any information on who was driving the car as I couldn't remember who was driving that day. After a couple more letters from them, I wrote to them telling them that if they contacted me again, other than to provide info on the driver, I'd be reporting them for harassment. Never heard from them again.