Ronnie O’Sullivan

AlimOzturk

Got to go down as one of the greatest sportsmen of all time?

Yesterday he wins the UK championship 30 years prior to winning it his first time becoming both the youngest and oldest player to do it. 

His recent documentary is a really good watch. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

He's a brilliant snooker player  - but you do wonder about the dearth of snooker players coming through, which O'Sullivan himself has commented on before. If you go back 20 odd years there were so many top-class players around, the competition was brilliant. It's a difficult one to explain. 

periodictabledancer
Just now, stirlo said:

He's a brilliant snooker player  - but you do wonder about the dearth of snooker players coming through, which O'Sullivan himself has commented on before. If you go back 20 odd years there were so many top-class players around, the competition was brilliant. It's a difficult one to explain. 

There's no money in the game now compared to 20-30 years ago - since tobacco sponsorship was made illegal.  Or so the pros keep saying.

Just now, periodictabledancer said:

There's no money in the game now compared to 20-30 years ago - since tobacco sponsorship was made illegal.  Or so the pros keep saying.

That's true - but you'd have thought that if someone's very good at snooker there's still the money there to make it worthwhile them pursuing a career in it.

SectionDJambo

I was lucky enough to see him win a tournament in Edinburgh as a young man still playing amateur.

We were told that the game was to be between a Scottish guy and an exciting young talent from London. He didn't disappoint. The Scottish guy just couldn't make any mistakes or they were heavily punished. O'Sullivan won fairly easily.

periodictabledancer
14 minutes ago, stirlo said:

That's true - but you'd have thought that if someone's very good at snooker there's still the money there to make it worthwhile them pursuing a career in it.

Especially when - even around 15 years ago - the likes of Ken Doherty could pull in £7K for a nights work on the back of it. 

Not so sure about a dearth of players.  There are plenty of really good players in the top 16 and a bit beyond.  Quite a number of multiple triple crown winners are still playing.

O'Sullivan makes it look like there's a dearth of players.  He's more like Hendry these days than a younger O'Sullivan.  Once at the sharp end of triple crowns he's incredibly difficult to beat.  He doesn't get affected by pressure.  He's just an animal on instinct who calls upon his self belief when threatened.  Ding was flying after going 7 all.  But O'Sullivan peeled off 3 frames as if he was having a bounce game.  His long potting last night was about as good as it gets.  White ball control was immense.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Got to go down as one of the greatest sportsmen of all time?

Yesterday he wins the UK championship 30 years prior to winning it his first time becoming both the youngest and oldest player to do it. 

His recent documentary is a really good watch. 

I saw some of that, first time he's come across as really relatable for me. I thought it was pretty mental that he's just not that into snooker.

1 hour ago, stirlo said:

I’ve got a sweet spot of 2-3 pints before I’m any good at Pool. After 5-6 I’m mince again. 
Only ever see snooker players with bottles of water. Maybe that’s it. 

4 hours ago, Victorian said:

Not so sure about a dearth of players.  There are plenty of really good players in the top 16 and a bit beyond.  Quite a number of multiple triple crown winners are still playing.

O'Sullivan makes it look like there's a dearth of players.  He's more like Hendry these days than a younger O'Sullivan.  Once at the sharp end of triple crowns he's incredibly difficult to beat.  He doesn't get affected by pressure.  He's just an animal on instinct who calls upon his self belief when threatened.  Ding was flying after going 7 all.  But O'Sullivan peeled off 3 frames as if he was having a bounce game.  His long potting last night was about as good as it gets.  White ball control was immense.

Stephen Hendry doesn't think there's a dearth either, in fact he thinks there's way more better players these days.

Aye he’s a great player as well

a decent guy . The greatest I feel as he’s exciting to watch . . Nice to see him talking about his mental health to raise awareness of men’s mental health

only   bad habit is he smokes ! Yuck 🤮 

10 hours ago, cazzyy said:

Stephen Hendry doesn't think there's a dearth either, in fact he thinks there's way more better players these days.

Maybe the general level is better but lacks any truly outstanding talents, then again for us old enough to have watched Hendry come through and beat guys like White and Davis I very much doubt we'll see someone of that ilk ever again.

10 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Maybe the general level is better but lacks any truly outstanding talents, then again for us old enough to have watched Hendry come through and beat guys like White and Davis I very much doubt we'll see someone of that ilk ever again.

Can't remember exactly what he said but something like they score 147's for fun these days.

I reckon that it was mental strength that set guys like the ones you mention apart though.

9 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Aye he’s a great player as well

a decent guy . The greatest I feel as he’s exciting to watch . . Nice to see him talking about his mental health to raise awareness of men’s mental health

only   bad habit is he smokes ! Yuck 🤮 

He can run 10k in 35 minutes, so I'd very much doubt he smokes these days.

Take away O'Sullivan and there's still a good group of players.  The natural talents of Trump,  Allen,  Brecel,  Lisowski,  Vafaei,  Williams and a few other younger players.  The entertaining,  free scoring,  powerful cue action types like Robertson,  Wilson and Murphy.  The grinding matchplayers like Selby and Higgins,  Hawkins.

2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

He can run 10k in 35 minutes, so I'd very much doubt he smokes these days.

Pic of him the other day having a puff 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

In sporting terms, a proper genuis.

Capable of beating the worlds best with his left hand.

It was Alain RoobyDoo who went bleating to the officials that O'Sullivan was showing disrespect by playing left-handed. Presumably while balancing RoobyDoo's arse on a plate in his right hand :D

Shooter McGavin
4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It was Alain RoobyDoo who went bleating to the officials that O'Sullivan was showing disrespect by playing left-handed. Presumably while balancing RoobyDoo's arse on a plate in his right hand :D

Remember that, moaning about it being exhibition stuff 😄

At the end of the day, it's a weapon in his armory, so why wouldn't he use it? Probably makes certain shots a whole lot easier for him.

2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Remember that, moaning about it being exhibition stuff 😄

At the end of the day, it's a weapon in his armory, so why wouldn't he use it? Probably makes certain shots a whole lot easier for him.

Pretty certain O’Sullivan had to play against a ex pro left handed in front of a panel to prove he was just as effective left handed. 

He went on to win every frame. 😂

if you look at the history of Snooker almost every decade had a player who dominated. Just seems to be that sort of game where the best is in the heads of the rest.

Overlooked for Sports Personality of the Year, in favour of a cricketer who lost the Ashes, a female footballer who lost the World Cup Final and a jockey who's previously been banned for drug use.

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Overlooked for Sports Personality of the Year, in favour of a cricketer who lost the Ashes, a female footballer who lost the World Cup Final and a jockey who's previously been banned for drug use.

Weakest list of candidates I can remember. To be fair to Broad, they failed to regain Ashes as they drew series but you are correct on context. In addition, McIlroy failed to win major leaving tennis player and athlete as most successful of the nominees.

Have to say I don't care who gets it.

1 hour ago, AndyNic said:

Anyone seen the video of him in what looks like a bag of gear falling out his pocket on to the table? Was that ever explained?

Brought his own chalk from home :thumbsup: 

Shooter McGavin
1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

To be fair, SPOTY is just an award voted for by middle class folk who don't really pay attention to sport.

Don’t think O’Sullivan will be crying any tears at not being nominated. 

Guy literally took a year off playing snooker, came back and won the World championships and didnt get nominated. 

He doesn’t fit the mould. 

See he pulled out of the Scottish open for medical reasons. Hope he is ok but I am more assuming he is keeping himself fresh for bigger tournaments. Potentially China gigs as well 

Edited by AlimOzturk

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Don’t think O’Sullivan will be crying any tears at not being nominated. 

Guy literally took a year off playing snooker, came back and won the World championships and didnt get nominated. 

He doesn’t fit the mould. 

See he pulled out of the Scottish open for medical reasons. Hope he is ok but I am more assuming he is keeping himself fresh for bigger tournaments. Potentially China gigs as well 

Agreed. Just think it's a sad indictment of how far SPoTY has fallen. Mind you, didn't Princess Anne win it one year?!

7 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

He never pulled out of the Scottish Open for Medical reasons, He might have said that but in truth after the UK Championships he said he would probably have a break and miss out on the Scottish open, A lot of people paid good money to see him and the place was packed out on Monday hoping to see him.

He's a Knob! End Off!

28 minutes ago, allyby said:

He never pulled out of the Scottish Open for Medical reasons, He might have said that but in truth after the UK Championships he said he would probably have a break and miss out on the Scottish open, A lot of people paid good money to see him and the place was packed out on Monday hoping to see him.

He's a Knob! End Off!

You are talking about someone with a pretty serious historical addiction and mental illness who has had to address these through therapy. If he says he is out for medical reasons or has decided he needs rest (he is 48 years old after all) then i will take him at his word. 

You are entitled to your opinions but the very fact you think  it is the “end off” the debate because you say so kinda makes you look like knob. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

I haven't watched Sport's Personality...since the days of 4 channels only.

I did, however, catch the bit in 2017 when they did a wee tribute to Celtic's invincibles (never mind the Euro pumpings) and Lineker had to say on the return to the studio:

"They lost 4-0 to Hearts today".

Superb.

15 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

You are talking about someone with a pretty serious historical addiction and mental illness who has had to address these through therapy. If he says he is out for medical reasons or has decided he needs rest (he is 48 years old after all) then i will take him at his word. 

You are entitled to your opinions but the very fact you think  it is the “end off” the debate because you say so kinda makes you look like knob. 

If you want to take his word for that's up to you but I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth, He's 48yrs old a needs a rest, give it a break! if I had said to my boss at that age I won't be in next week I need a rest, well that wouldn't go down too well infact I'd probably have been out the door.

I saw O'Sullivan last year at Meadowbank after one of his matches when a kid approached him for his autograph and the wee lad got blanked by him, He was just about in tears, is that how he should treat his fans, sorry but IMO he's a nasty piece of work.

SPOTY is an award for sporting achievement in a particular year.  Really not sure what Dettori has done in 2023,  apart from retire.  It's not a lifetime award.  The whole list is a bit shit.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, allyby said:

If you want to take his word for that's up to you but I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth, He's 48yrs old a needs a rest, give it a break! if I had said to my boss at that age I won't be in next week I need a rest, well that wouldn't go down too well infact I'd probably have been out the door.

You could have framed your puns a bit better but I'll chalk that down to a lack of experience. 

23 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Agreed. Just think it's a sad indictment of how far SPoTY has fallen. Mind you, didn't Princess Anne win it one year?!

As did the fruit of her loins, Zara. An acceptance speech more excruciating than that of David Beckham; not saying much for the privilege of a private school education; although I probably shouldn't criticise the schooling system when the raw material is so thoroughly defective.

19 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Although I agree with what you're saying about mental illness etc., he has openly said that he only wants to play in the events in China/only the biggest events in the UK. He's only played in 4/10 ranking events this season (2 in China, the UK Championship and the English Open) and was almost certain to withdraw from the Scottish Open regardless of other factors. The difficult aspect is him withdrawing at the very last minute denying another player a place in the tournament.

Edited by Stanley_

On 04/12/2023 at 17:47, SectionDJambo said:

I was lucky enough to see him win a tournament in Edinburgh as a young man still playing amateur.

We were told that the game was to be between a Scottish guy and an exciting young talent from London. He didn't disappoint. The Scottish guy just couldn't make any mistakes or they were heavily punished. O'Sullivan won fairly easily.

I tried my best 👌

17 hours ago, Stanley_ said:

Although I agree with what you're saying about mental illness etc., he has openly said that he only wants to play in the events in China/only the biggest events in the UK. He's only played in 4/10 ranking events this season (2 in China, the UK Championship and the English Open) and was almost certain to withdraw from the Scottish Open regardless of other factors. The difficult aspect is him withdrawing at the very last minute denying another player a place in the tournament.

This could potentially be the case but we

just don’t know. 

The problem with Snooker is it doesn’t realise what it will lose when the like

of Ronnie, Higgins, Williams and so retires. 

If they want to make money in China then let them. By this point they aren’t interested in rankings, more about Major tournaments and topping up their retirement funds. Let them, and it may prolong their stay in Snooker.  

Edited by AlimOzturk

7 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

This could potentially be the case but we

just don’t know. 

The problem with Snooker is it doesn’t realise what it will lose when the like

of Ronnie, Higgins, Williams and so retires. 

If they want to make money in China then let them. By this point they aren’t interested in rankings, more about Major tournaments and topping up their retirement funds. Let them, and it may prolong their stay in Snooker.  

I agree. Ronnie has a good tactic, at his age, of picking and choosing his tournaments and probably helping him last longer at the top. Still wouldn't be withdrawing at the last minute but agree with how he is approaching the season in general.

Edited by Stanley_

• 1 month later...

Another final being ruined by his arsehole fans whooping and hollering at almost every single pot he makes.

4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Another final being ruined by his arsehole fans whooping and hollering at almost every single pot he makes.

Without being too judgmental (I am though) there are a certain types of sports fans that follow the same people. They will fanboy for 

Ronnie O’Sullivan

Tyson Fury

Conor McGregor

Christiano Ronaldo

there’s also a very good chance they think Oasis were the apex of musical achievement since music began. 

Edited by Tazio

**** "C'mon" Ronnie and his loudmouth, hooligan, one of the chaps, gangster, fanbase.

Hope Carter shuts them the **** up.

It's shameful that they've gotten away with their thuggish behaviour for so long.

AlimOzturk
11 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Ref should be warning them, any more they are out.