Almaty, Kazakhstan

Jim_Duncan

11 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Will be in Almaty in February for 24, perhaps 48 hours. Has anyone been there? Any recommended places to see in the city?

image.jpeg.8797c4fa73524c798e8a37c8293e8b58.jpeg

Dress appropriately.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

been here before
13 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Will be in Almaty in February for 24, perhaps 48 hours. Has anyone been there? Any recommended places to see in the city?

Nah, never been.

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Out of curiosity what's the reason for your visit?

Long story as to why I’ll be in that part of the world at that time, but the fun part is I’m  going to travel from Almaty to Edinburgh overland (bar a quick hop from Western Kazakhstan to Armenia or Georgia as I can’t be hooped getting a visa for Russia in the current climate). 

Have done a few long distance rail trips in Europe and North America, so this is another excuse to see parts of the world I haven’t visited before and have some fun.

Best part is not booking anything in advance except my hotel in Almaty. That way, no rush to make it anywhere and just go with the flow. 

Never been, but it's one of those odd places on my destination list.

Will you have access to a car, or just in the city?  There are some stunning looking places around Almaty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charyn_National_Park

silkroad_shutterstock_1236828025_HR.jpg

About 100 miles away, so a fair trek to do unless you can arrange a tour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Almaty_Lake

000.jpg

About 10 miles south.

In the city itself, there's a cable car that goes up the wonderfully named Kok-Tobe mountain to the park at the top:

DSC_0269.jpg

There's a TV tower nearby on the hill, but I don't think you can go up it.  

13 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Never been, but it's one of those odd places on my destination list.

Will you have access to a car, or just in the city?  There are some stunning looking places around Almaty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charyn_National_Park

silkroad_shutterstock_1236828025_HR.jpg

About 100 miles away, so a fair trek to do unless you can arrange a tour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Almaty_Lake

000.jpg

About 10 miles south.

In the city itself, there's a cable car that goes up the wonderfully named Kok-Tobe mountain to the park at the top:

DSC_0269.jpg

There's a TV tower nearby on the hill, but I don't think you can go up it.  

Cheers. 

I don’t think I’ll have time to head out of town, so will be keeping it city-based. I like Silk Road and Soviet history, so hopefully enough to fill a day or so. I did watch a few travel blogs and it looks like a fun place. For a laugh, check out the lovely but somewhat naive Indian guy on YT doing a vlog about visiting Almaty. Poor sod can’t find his hotel, communicate with anyone (and is shocked when nobody speaks English) and basically wanders about Almaty with no idea what’s going on. Ends up in a shopping centre eating a wrap. 

Planning to move on to Shymkent and Turkestan for the old architecture and a wee look around. Very tempted to head south to Tashkent from there but it’s a bit of a deviation from my original plan and, despite being free and easy, I have to get back at some point I suppose. 

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

International arms dealer is my bet. 

6 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Yeah he's keeping his cards close to his chest. 

:gunsmilie:

53 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Just Google it, mate.

Google v The Shed with its resident experts on everything? Yeah, I know which one I prefer. 

henrysmithsgloves
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Google v The Shed with its resident experts on everything? Yeah, I know which one I prefer. 

tom-hardy-thats-bait.gif

3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Long story as to why I’ll be in that part of the world at that time, but the fun part is I’m  going to travel from Almaty to Edinburgh overland (bar a quick hop from Western Kazakhstan to Armenia or Georgia as I can’t be hooped getting a visa for Russia in the current climate). 

Have done a few long distance rail trips in Europe and North America, so this is another excuse to see parts of the world I haven’t visited before and have some fun.

Best part is not booking anything in advance except my hotel in Almaty. That way, no rush to make it anywhere and just go with the flow. 

Brilliant, I'm jealous! 🙂
I've wasted loads of time on the Seat61 website daydreaming about routes like that.
Good luck and enjoy

15 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Brilliant, I'm jealous! 🙂
I've wasted loads of time on the Seat61 website daydreaming about routes like that.
Good luck and enjoy

I’m with you. Been a fan of Seat 61 for years. 

Cheers. I’m lucky to be in a work position that allows me to take extended leave. 

been here before
3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Just bear in mind that no JKB collection of the Experts On Everything is complete until @Victorian pipes up.

Until he's here there's always hope...

32 minutes ago, been here before said:

Just bear in mind that no JKB collection of the Experts On Everything is complete until @Victorian pipes up.

Until he's here there's always hope...

Like a woman on a sex swing, I await his input. 

Edited by Jim_Duncan

Shooter McGavin
17 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

True 😄

I was there about 15 years ago.  It was about the same time of year you are visiting. Very very cold which meant limited time wandering around outside. It may have changed, but at that time is was a pretty typical soviet style provincial city with wide open spaces (which in the summer are probably very green but when I went were freeze dried brown!), wide multi-lane roads and big monolithic concrete buildings. There were few "western" type shops/hotels/entertainment facilities. I stayed in the Intercontinental, one of the few chain hotels available at the time. Anything "western" was very expensive eg burger and chips, couple of beers in the hotel bar was the most expensive I had ever had at the time. It is a stunning setting though with spectacularly high mountains on 3 sides. I did get out into the foothills and went to a traditional Yurt type tent for dinner where you sat on the floor. I was asked "Ow do you like your Yers?" Every dish was then based on "Yers" which I then found out was horse. It was very good though. Horses are the mainstay of everything. People were very dour and not very communicative. As ever in the wild east, stay away from anyone in a uniform. It is easy to forget how far east you are with the chinese border only a couple of hours drive away. Do your research and plan your activities/trip taking a taxi to get around. I'm sure you'll have a great experience I'm glad I had the chance to visit, its a visa in your passport that not many others will have!