Alister Darling. RIP

Don Dan

been here before
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

strange eye brows 

Could never work out if his hair or his eyebrows were the wrong colour.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 minutes ago, been here before said:

Could never work out if his hair or his eyebrows were the wrong colour.

it’s hard to trust someone who allows that clash to persist 

That thing you do

Worked against Scotlands interests all the time so I will give a lower case rip which is the least amount of respect I can give and the most he deserves.

37 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Rest in Peace . I did not like him 

This. Wasn’t he the original car hater for Edinburgh council in his early days ? 

Young age these days, assume illness. RIP. 

Just now, Dazo said:

This. Wasn’t he the original car hater for Edinburgh council in his early days ? 

Young age these days, assume illness. RIP. 

My reasons for disliking him may vary from others . For me , he was a unionist puppet who held us back as a country when we could have been so much better off 

14 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Worked against Scotlands interests all the time so I will give a lower case rip which is the least amount of respect I can give and the most he deserves.

Well that'll teach him.

1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

I hope someone is equally as bitter about you when it’s your turn.

59 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Yip and he's not resting in peace either. 

👍

45 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Youd hope not.

For Christs sake. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, R9. said:

RIP knew him through family.

Believe it or not he had a cat who was black with white whiskers 😂 

attended a few hearts games in the 90s and 00s 

The cat?

been here before
12 minutes ago, R9. said:

RIP knew him through family.

Believe it or not he had a cat who was black with white whiskers 😂 

attended a few hearts games in the 90s and 00s 

Pretty much all cats have white whiskers and those that dont will probably eventually have them.

Coupled with black cats really not being that uncommon Im willing to believe that 'believe it or not'.

Seemed a decent enough guy - not an headline hunter. Did his best for the country when RBS went bust. Ditto when the nutter Nats thought 2014 was a good time to become independent...

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, Australis said:

A real politician.

Unlike the 129 councillors we have now.

Indeed RIP Baron Darling of Roulanish 

Nucky Thompson
3 hours ago, That thing you do said:

I will give a lower case rip which is the least amount of respect I can give and the most he deserves.

What age are you, 10 :lol:

53 minutes ago, been here before said:

Pretty much all cats have white whiskers and those that dont will probably eventually have them.

Coupled with black cats really not being that uncommon Im willing to believe that 'believe it or not'.

That's all good and well, but do these common-in-appearance cats attend Tynecastle on a regular basis?

I'm not sure whether to believe it or not.   :turmoil: 

Percival King

Given folk on JKB can argue and get heated about the collar on a new Hearts top, it's going to be pretty much impossible to get a politician that doesn't get criticised (slaughtered) for some of their views and actions on a multitude of issues by some of the people. I'm absolutely no fan of politicians, from the council through to our two governments, a lot of them are contemptible, unpleasant people but Darling, to me, seemed one of the better ones.

RIP Alister. An intelligent, sensible guy that helped save Scotland and protect our much loved Union. 

I notice the rabid Nationalists are out in force once again to display in full the chips on their shoulders .

33 minutes ago, Percival King said:

Given folk on JKB can argue and get heated about the collar on a new Hearts top, it's going to be pretty much impossible to get a politician that doesn't get criticised (slaughtered) for some of their views and actions on a multitude of issues by some of the people. I'm absolutely no fan of politicians, from the council through to our two governments, a lot of them are contemptible, unpleasant people but Darling, to me, seemed one of the better ones.

Good post.

28 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

RIP Alister. An intelligent, sensible guy that helped save Scotland and protect our much loved Union. 

I notice the rabid Nationalists are out in force once again to display in full the chips on their shoulders .

Equally rabid post imo.

32 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

giphy.gif

Surprised you didn't mention "precious" union to turn that dry boak into a full on..

giphy.gif

31 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

And all our individual no votes in 2014 stopped the nationalists.

Best decision I ever made, and so proud of it.

Look at the state the SNP have us in now, everything in Scotland is a disaster and broken.

3 minutes ago, SecN said:

RIP. Condolences to his family. 

I only once had a direct communication with him and he was unpleasant in the extreme. 

He's only going to get more unpleasant 😊

Maybe it’s an age thing and we live in different times but is there any need for the disrespectful comments. Surely when a family loses a loved one political persuasions are irrelevant. Most of the tributes across the spectrum reflect that he was a decent human being. It’s an old saying if you can’t say anything good say nothing.

i wish jj was my dad

I was never on the same page as AD politically but I always thought he was a decent politician and you can see the contrast between his handling of the financial crisis and how BJ and the bams handled covid.

Not sure where the froth is coming from tbh. 

Nucky Thompson
44 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Maybe it’s an age thing and we live in different times but is there any need for the disrespectful comments. Surely when a family loses a loved one political persuasions are irrelevant. Most of the tributes across the spectrum reflect that he was a decent human being. It’s an old saying if you can’t say anything good say nothing.

If I saw an RIP thread for someone I didn't like, I just wouldn't comment.

It's just common decency 

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's just common decency 

^^^

:hekens:

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's just common decency 

Exactly. Sadly too many can’t respect themselves 

Malinga the Swinga

A sad loss to politics and his family. A political giant compared to the pygmies we have to suffer now, in Westminster and especially in the SNP led government in Scotland.

The bitterness shown by the rabid nationalists (or some of them) shows the quality of what he promised and delivered. They would dump Humza in a second to have someone like Darling at the front of their ranks.

21 minutes ago, SecN said:

Weekend fixtures may feature a minutes silence/applause. 

Why? We canny have this for everyone. Was  he a Jambo? 

Bonnie Prince Charlie

RIP but utterly disgustingly Tory/marxist/Liebore” chancer. Was in his posh hoose a few times as my neice was at same school as his  daughter.