VELICKA THANKS ROMANOV

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/18/SOCCER_Rangers.html&TEAMHD=soccer

New Rangers signing Andrius Velicka has thanked controversial Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov for putting him on the road to Ibrox.

Romanov sanctioned the striker's loan move to Tynecastle from his Lithuanian club FB Kaunas in 2006, where Velicka made his name before joining Norwegians Viking in February.

And after last month's transfer to Rangers, Velicka has paid tribute to Romanov for facilitating his leap to the big time.

"I have to thank Mr Romanov because he trusted me and he put faith in me when I was at Kaunas," Velicka told The Herald.

"I had to work hard at Kaunas to get my chance to go to Hearts. If I am honest, no-one from Lithuania will come from my country straight to Rangers.

"He gave me my chance and at Hearts I proved to everyone what I could do."

He couldn't really do much more to make this anymore difficult....grrrrr.

LiamWallace

that sums up exactly what vlad and the liths think of us they see us as a stepping stone to better things and that backs up what vlad wanted to do with showcasing lith talent ovbiously it has worked and velicka is proof I think we'll see more liths rather than less now.

Velicka was good for a few months at Hearts, the rest of the time I thought he was a complete passanger who missed many an easy chance.

Granted, he was our top goalscorer last year, but when you consider what else we had to offer its not really a mean feat.

I dont wish him any luck at Rangers after these comments.

Velicka was good for a few months at Hearts, the rest of the time I thought he was a complete passanger who missed many an easy chance.

Granted, he was our top goalscorer last year, but when you consider what else we had to offer its not really a mean feat.

I dont wish him any luck at Rangers after these comments.

I dont recall him missing that many ?...........although he had two guilt edged

chances in the semi v Rangers and fluffed them both :sad:

We dont exactly create a bundle of chances for the front men either do we ?

You also have to bear in mind that he had that early stint where he played two seasons straight ( Alyga then SPL ) and ended up fecked after 30 mins most games !

He has a huge amount to thank Romanov for.

A journeyman who has landed the jackpot thanks to Romanov playing him at Hearts.

I dont recall him missing that many ?...........although he had two guilt edged

chances in the semi v Rangers and fluffed them both :sad:

We dont exactly create a bundle of chances for the front men either do we ?

You also have to bear in mind that he had that early stint where he played two seasons straight ( Alyga then SPL ) and ended up fecked after 30 mins most games !

I'll be honest, for a while I would have placed Velicka in the same mould as no.28 and the likes. Im surprised Rangers signed him, especially with rumours that they want to get rid of Cousin, Darcheville and Boyd...I know who i'd prefer to have!

I wonder why he missed two guilt edge chances against a team that he know plays for......:wacko:

I think that Hearts may have been screwed over by Rangers and Viking (the Ostenstad link) in the same way that they were by Wigan and Rangers in the Webster scenario (the jjb link). I know this has been mentioned before, but it does seem a little too coincidental!

Jam Tarts 1874

Velicka was pretty poor for most of his spell with us. Let's not forget that both he and his manager were in the media last October stating that Velicka wanted a move because he was unhappy at losing his place to Nade. Romanov has stated many time that he will not stand in the way of a player who wants to leave, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. He is no longer a Hearts' player, why do so many people want to dwell on the past all the time?

shaun.lawson

I actually think Velicka's comments are really funny: almost as though he has a similar sense of humour to Vlad! Hmm - wonder if Romanov will have a rant about how unreliable Lithuanian players are, and that all they're interested in is a big money move to the Old Firm? :)

Velicka was pretty poor for most of his spell with us. Let's not forget that both he and his manager were in the media last October stating that Velicka wanted a move because he was unhappy at losing his place to Nade. Romanov has stated many time that he will not stand in the way of a player who wants to leave, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. He is no longer a Hearts' player, why do so many people want to dwell on the past all the time?

I think we are dwelling on the past in hope that we ( or VR ) actually learn from it ?

Players have come and gone for many reasons and you do just get on with it. However AV appeared to be the classic case of a pyramid player actually 'doing what it says on the tin' :P

He came from obscurity and made a name for himself. However the plan then went awry when he sold him, at a questionable time for our own ambitions and for a surprisingly low fee for VRs pocket :wacko:

The Viking - Rangers link should have maybe raised questions too. Certainly a fee of that size being shelled out by a 'footballing backwater' ought to have raised a few heads

I actually think Velicka's comments are really funny: almost as though he has a similar sense of humour to Vlad! Hmm - wonder if Romanov will have a rant about how unreliable Lithuanian players are, and that all they're interested in is a big money move to the Old Firm? :)

Let's hope so!

This whole episode should show to Vlad that even the so called best Lithuanian players will not go for big money. In a funny way, Velicka going to Rangers could work in our favour because Vlad's mind does work in strange ways.

west lothian loyal

I'm not too enamoured by his following quote " It has taken me nine years to achieve my goal but i have finally arrived at a big club".

H.M.F.C. FOREVER

Does Vlad now have a Jim Duffy type character in place at one of the OF? Wonder if Velicka will report back to Vlad on the going ons at der hun?

that sums up exactly what vlad and the liths think of us they see us as a stepping stone to better things and that backs up what vlad wanted to do with showcasing lith talent ovbiously it has worked and velicka is proof I think we'll see more liths rather than less now.

That is and always will be Vlad's policy whether it's Lithuanians or not.

Get them in the team showcase them to the media and hope they make him big bucks in the crazy transfer market that exists.

We get the chance to enjoy them when they're here but don't expect them to last here very long.

Larry, Pinilla (failed miseably) on a bigger scale and all the Lithuanians on a smaller scale.

It is a business he's running not a football team.

Any success and the media attention is just an extra bonus.

Guest JamboRobbo

Indeed. I look forward to hearing this.

velicka was just hitting top form when he left

he managed to be top goal scorer in a very poor hearts team, imagine the damage he could do in a team with good players that is playing good football!

this is why i think he is going to be a flop at rangers!:P:p:p

I wonder how much this is about wages? As I understand it the Lithuanian players are on sweeties at Hearts.

I'm not too enamoured by his following quote " It has taken me nine years to achieve my goal but i have finally arrived at a big club".

H.M.F.C. FOREVER

I read that bit too, and thought he`d get more stick for it.

I read that bit too, and thought he`d get more stick for it.

I guess players only consider Rangers and Celtic to be big clubs in Scotland. Hearts and Aberdeen would probably be the next biggest although are still nowhere near competing with even most championship clubs in England.

Clubs with similar attendances in England:

Hull City 18,239

Stoke City 16,823

Watford 16,786

Crystal Palace 16,316

Does Vlad now have a Jim Duffy type character in place at one of the OF? Wonder if Velicka will report back to Vlad on the going ons at der hun?

you have to love it!

Velicka's a spy for romanov! or its a dodgy link like wigan-rangers jjb.......

more like Smith saw Velicka as a decent enough striker just like viking did and decided that he would be good backup with naismith out for a year.....

also probably thought he'd sell one of his other 100 strikers but it obviously didn't turn out like that......

When I think of all the Hearts players whom I have seen that have gone to or ended up at the OF, none of them has ever been better for them that they were for us. Sure they may have got more silverware but they were not better players...

Johnston, McLaren, McPherson, McKinlay, Hartley, Pressley, Weir, Webster, Galloway, McCann - all were better for us.

Velicka will be similar I think...

shaun.lawson
When I think of all the Hearts players whom I have seen that have gone to or ended up at the OF, none of them has ever been better for them that they were for us. Sure they may have got more silverware but they were not better players...

Johnston, McLaren, McPherson, McKinlay, Hartley, Pressley, Weir, Webster, Galloway, McCann - all were better for us.

Velicka will be similar I think...

I'd say McCann and McPherson were probably as good for Rangers as for us, but didn't stand out so much because they were surrounded by better players - no?

Buffalo Bill

He scores goals for the highest bidder.

That's how the world works.

Buffalo Bill

I'm not sure why we should expect Velicka to have much loyalty towards us, i'm sure he'd have nice things to say about the club but it's not as though he was born within a mile of tynie! Unfortunately our club is not the same size as Rangers...mind you, look at the sort of fans you have to put up with if it is!

Archived