What does it mean when the spectacular just bores you?

Ulysses

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

My 21yo told me yesterday that Man Utd had scored the best goal ever!!

Seen it this morning and thought  "yes, decent"

But as other posters have said about Hearts relevance.

Simms in SF - oo ya ****er, YAAAAS

Kingsley in SF  - Wowwwwww, What a ****ing goal.

If i had seen Ozturk's last minute equaliser at ER live, I would have literally pissed ma pants.

Wasn't at the game or on TV

Oooooft! Now you’re talking. Moments as good as any there have been. Dancing around embracing total strangers. Proof positive that it all still means something.

5 hours ago, whodanny said:

Last season my seat was next to two younger guys, nice enough lads, early 20s ish. Usually had a good crack with them, celebrated our goals with them. But they always left the game with about 5 or 10 minutes to go, I could never get that. Turns out they were rushing away to a boozer to catch whatever EPL match kicked off at 5pm and wanted to make sure they got a seat. I couldn't get my head round leaving a Hearts game early to watch an English match. 

Even worse given that the English late kick off on a Saturday is always 5:30pm.

Plenty of time for both. 

14 hours ago, Ulysses said:

So, I saw that spectacular overhead kick by Garnacho tonight.   BBC described it as one in a million, and it was.  I mean, it genuinely was.

But **** me it was also boring.  Sorry to anyone who cares, but it was.  I mean, it genuinely was.  I couldn't pick Alejandro Garnacho out of a police line-up, and I don't really give a crap about him or about who he's playing for.  I couldn't pick most well-known players in the EPL or the Champions League out of a cop line-up, and I couldn't care less about them or who they play for.

Time was when I could.  Even though it was always mostly about Hearts (and for me a fair bit about Ireland), I knew when other stuff was good, I admired it for what it was, and sometimes it was genuinely thrilling even though it wasn't the football that really mattered to me.

Now?  I'm not so sure.  It's all a bit meh, really.  It's probably just me being a boring old fart, but there's no thrill in it anymore.  They were heroes once, and giants - even the ones who weren't my heroes and giants, I could still see how they were other people's heroes and giants.  Now, they're just entertainment, a circus act.

Bollox.

I'm feeling that way as well.

You captured your thoughts -- and mine-- brilliantly!

I think that the OP's reaction is partly down to ageing but I do also think that football as a sport is entering a difficult phase because the realisation is kicking in that while paying footballers astronomical sums of money makes them more professional, it doesn't fundamentally make them better. And there are unquestionably a lack of superstars around nowadays. In fact it says it all that by far the two most famous footballers in the world are a 36 year old and a 38 year old in Messi and Ronaldo. There are some absolutely excellent players around like Bellingham and Haaland - but it definitely seems like there are less of those players around who can produce individual bits of genius on a regular basis. You think back to the late 90s and early 2000s  and you had guys like Bergkamp, Vialli, Zola, Henry, Asprilla, Cantona, Gazza etc. who were just producing bits of magic every week. Those types of player seem very few and far between nowadays, although that may be because the standard of defending and tactics has improved. Or maybe it's just a fallow period.

J.T.F.Robertson
5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I think that's the point I'm making.  @J.T.F.Robertson mentioned relevance.  Any Hearts goal, even a scuffed and scrambled one, is relevant. Garnacho's goal, even if spectacular, isn't.

I actually read your OP as more your current, overall outlook on life with football as the analogy. 

Over-analysing again. 😕

1 hour ago, Legend Claws said:

Haven't even watched MOTD in about two seasons, just don't care.

Me neither.

Perhaps even longer.

Needless to say, I haven't seen the goal referred to in the OP.

Bazzas right boot

As you get older football ( for most) becomes less of a priority.

Family, friends, kids, jobs generally become more important.

As a kid everyone would argue about every club  often getting very heated, now as you get older and chill it's all mostly banter.

As a kid, a defeat could ruin your week!

Now, win lose or draw it doesn't effect my weekend,  never mind week.

So with that general mellowing, the interest in general football likey dwindles and with that your focus narrows leaving you with Hearts and Scotland.

Nae time to waste emotions on random teams from other countries nowadays and with age for most people, football becomes less of a priority.

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg
16 hours ago, Ulysses said:

So, I saw that spectacular overhead kick by Garnacho tonight.   BBC described it as one in a million, and it was.  I mean, it genuinely was.

But **** me it was also boring.  Sorry to anyone who cares, but it was.  I mean, it genuinely was.  I couldn't pick Alejandro Garnacho out of a police line-up, and I don't really give a crap about him or about who he's playing for.  I couldn't pick most well-known players in the EPL or the Champions League out of a cop line-up, and I couldn't care less about them or who they play for.

Time was when I could.  Even though it was always mostly about Hearts (and for me a fair bit about Ireland), I knew when other stuff was good, I admired it for what it was, and sometimes it was genuinely thrilling even though it wasn't the football that really mattered to me.

Now?  I'm not so sure.  It's all a bit meh, really.  It's probably just me being a boring old fart, but there's no thrill in it anymore.  They were heroes once, and giants - even the ones who weren't my heroes and giants, I could still see how they were other people's heroes and giants.  Now, they're just entertainment, a circus act.

Bollox.

Try watching cricket then. 

The goal was amazing and excellent to see live. 

Not quite Rudi Skacel material but decent.

Can't understand any football fan not enjoying watching that goal. 

Rooney, Ronaldo, Bale and now that. Only similar type goals scored in the last 15 years on the big stage that I can think of. 

Bazzas right boot

I'd also add, unless it's "your team", with the bosman, the money  involved and the frequency at which players move clubs it makes it difficult to build up any emotional atatchment with a random team.

6 hours ago, martoon said:

...I mean, how many times can you watch Man U play Galatasaray and stay interested...

I genuinely did not know that they're playing each other this midweek. 😄

They seemed to always be in the same group 20 years back.

Edited by martoon

11 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Fulham v Wolves just starting on Sky for all the Fitbaw lovers like myself to enjoy 😜

Nice goal

I'm 45 and I can still enjoy the English games. I can't say that I particularly care about them though. The standard of football is good but it's played by a load of mercenaries who are professional but I always feel don't really care about their club. I enjoyed the Villa v Spurs game yesterday but it really didn't matter to me. I remember when I was younger I'd look forward to the big English games. I watched a bit of Man City v Liverpool before our match on Saturday and it just became background noise. I've already lo g since stopped caring about the Champions League up to the quarter finals.

Football to me generally has lost a lot of it's immediate excitement. VAR has a lot to do with it- I couldn't properly celebrate our goal on Saturday because I saw it was being checked and assumed it would be offside. By the time the goal was confirmed, I was able to raise a bit of a cheer but that was it. Then there's the incredible bias towards the Glasgow pair. It's always been there but the way VAR is used to justify the penalties they get when other teams don't really annoys me. I will always enjoy watching Hearts (I hope) but unless changes are made to take away the catering to Rangers and Celtic, I fear I'll start to care less and less.

The Garnacho goal was good though.

gordon simpson
On 27/11/2023 at 07:36, Sooks said:

I have been there for a good few years now . Only really give a shit about Hearts and Scotland . The polarisation of money to a few competitions has destroyed my interest . The money in football is also finite and it is hoarded by a few clubs and competitions . It has a knock on effect with our game and we are unable to bring in as decent quality because other clubs can always pay more than us . There are few surprises now too as even youth players are all on databases and if we bring through a really good one he will be snapped up by a team who can pay him more before we get to enjoy him in the first team . I still like the Euros and World Cup but even they are not as good as when I was younger because few of the players are a surprise and most have already played in the Champions League or EPL anyway . I quite like to go to a live match somewhere else as a wee change , but I have zero interest in watching the Champions League or EPL on TV . I cringe when I see and hear Scots laddies screaming at the TV in the pub when Manchester play Liverpool

spot on