Frontal temporal dementia

JudyJudyJudy

I had never heard of this type of dementia before . Sadly it can affect any age . The young woman in the video is documenting her mothers experience of it and it’s very moving . her mother is only 60 .  Luckily never known anyone in my family to have this or any types of dementia but one of my mates mother has dementia and he’s under a lot of stress managing it and her . It must be very difficult . It’s such a cruel disease 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeevtQgX/

IMG_6467.jpeg

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Bruce Willis suffers from this 

I didn’t know it was that type of dementia . 🙏

My dad died of this during lockdown.  Wasn't diagnosed for nearly 10 years but you could tell something changed.  It robbed our kids of their granddad and the world of a simple kind man.

It's also one of the reasons I'm now a student nurse aged 48 and a bit as caring for him at end of life during COVID was the hardest yet most rewarding thing I've ever done.  

Typically people with FTL dementia go one of two ways - either they go sleepy or their character completely changes and they lose all inhibitions and can become violent - I'm not religious but thank god my old man just went sleepy - not sure we would have coped with anything else.

Btw 1 in 3 of us will end up with dementia and there's almost no support available to help... There's 1 admiral nurse (like Macmillan nurses but for dementia) for whole of Scotland.  Sounds cràp but it's almost better getting cancer as the support for that is so much better. 

Here to talk if anyone needs it.   

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

. Very emotional stuff here . 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeecYAS6/

IMG_6469.jpeg

And that's brought back so many memories.  With dementia you grieve whilst they're still here...    

Hug your family tonight for no-one knows what tomorrow brings.  

4 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

My dad died of this during lockdown.  Wasn't diagnosed for nearly 10 years but you could tell something changed.  It robbed our kids of their granddad and the world of a simple kind man.

It's also one of the reasons I'm now a student nurse aged 48 and a bit as caring for him at end of life during COVID was the hardest yet most rewarding thing I've ever done.  

Typically people with FTL dementia go one of two ways - either they go sleepy or their character completely changes and they lose all inhibitions and can become violent - I'm not religious but thank god my old man just went sleepy - not sure we would have coped with anything else.

Btw 1 in 3 of us will end up with dementia and there's almost no support available to help... There's 1 admiral nurse (like Macmillan nurses but for dementia) for whole of Scotland.  Sounds cràp but it's almost better getting cancer as the support for that is so much better. 

1 minute ago, cannonfoda said:

And that's brought back so many memories.  With dementia you grieve whilst they're still here...    

Yes dementia is an often forgotten illness for funding as well as health care . So sorry to hear about your dad . 

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

Good on you, bud.

Assisted suicide should be legalised here for illnesses such as this. Would be my worst nightmare to see a loved one go through this. To slowly deteriorate over time, far worse than cancer. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
1 hour ago, Day@theraces said:

Assisted suicide should be legalised here for illnesses such as this. Would be my worst nightmare to see a loved one go through this. To slowly deteriorate over time, far worse than cancer. 

Fully agree, my Gran died about 12years ago from dementia but had about 10 year of getting worse the last 3years her mind was 100% gone, knew nobody always looked in fear just lost her soul so sad to see I was 40 at time so really not too much for me but her great grandkids were only 5 to 15 so they saw her lose memory of them. My mum now has dementia and is on about year 10 very poor memory(only about dozen past stay and makes no new ones) but still knows people a little but can tell she is in last 18months of that at which point you just waiting for her to pass a soulless body, sad but I hope she goes before her memories so she sees her family at the end.

3 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

:spoton:

1 hour ago, Day@theraces said:

Assisted suicide should be legalised here for illnesses such as this.

There would be issues of informed consent with this illness regarding this. 

I had two parents with dementia until last Hogmanay when my father died. So I guess it is in my future...No chance I wait for it to kill me as I saw my father's agony for the last week of his life when his kidneys were failing and he repeatedly pulled catheters out doing horrid damage. I fully support Pru Leith's views on assisted death. Time to take back control of the law from religionists and become humane humans.

8 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

Well done for posting such a difficult subject, one which you've tragically had to go through with your Dad.  I think the research which led to today's names for the various types of dementia only started a few decades ago - but people will have  suffered from the same symptoms  a long time   before that.

You're doing a wonderful thing by deciding to train to be a dementia nurse.

8 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

❤️

Ministryofdad

Im just turning 40. I am aware im forgetting things and losing my complete control of thought. 

Scares me to think I might have thus disease and will eventually lose my cognitive state. 

Suppose it's time to film all these memories and treasure them for a later time

New Town Loafer
23 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

“ to care for others who cared for us is the highest honour “ 

This is so true, and something we seem to have forgotten in western society. We could learn from the south Asian community (in particular) from this.

On 25/11/2023 at 11:48, vegas-voss said:

Bruce Willis suffers from this 

Bruce is also suffering from insensitive, attention seeking family members posting is decline on social media. 

been here before
48 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Bruce is also suffering from insensitive, attention seeking family members posting is decline on social media. 

Especially if you can accompany those posts with a background of slow, haunting piano music...

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Especially if you can accompany those posts with a background of slow, haunting piano music...

Essential. 👍

2 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

This is so true, and something we seem to have forgotten in western society. We could learn from the south Asian community (in particular) from this.

Yep . I’ve did it myself with other family members . 

henrysmithsgloves

Rumour the now is that hospitals might be withdrawing toast and cornflakes from menus due to a connection of dementia and certain cancers 😳