Assess the playing squad

Johanes de Silentio

Johanes de Silentio

Imagine you're in Csaba's shoes, and you're working out whaes guid and whaes pash - gon' then!

Al.

Easy - pesh!

Seriously though, we have very little quality. Kingston is worth keeping but other than him and maybe Lee Wallace*, I wouldn't be fussed if the rest of them were allowed to leave. Berra, Driver and Jonsson may well be half decent youngsters but if they were going to be the best players in our 11 then we'd struggle badly. Everyone else is just woefully inconsistant.

* I wouldn't play Wallace in the first 11 every week, but I think he has shown signs that he could be a top player in a few years. He has tons of footballing ability, he just needs some decent coaching to be able to cope with high balls and his decision making.

Johanes de Silentio

ROBBIE - decent experienced right back - guid enough for Burley, guid enough for me - hopefully a decent back up if we can sign a quality right back

WALLACE - needs to decide if he wants to be a fitba' player or a gangster - decent ability - would benefit from a run in the team - guid enough for Burley, guid enough for me - good back up if we can sign a quality left back

BERRA - decent - cares about whether we win or lose - could do with being the junior partner in a centre back pairing rather than being the main man calling the shots - might have been an idea to take the ?1.75M on offer fae Wolves - better than Zal

AGUIAR - assess once fully fit

KINGSTON - quality player - should be retained as long as we can afford the 15K weekly salary

DRIVER - gonnae be a big player - bigger than Burnley, anyway (nae offence tae Burnley) - only sell at the right price (whatever that is!)

BANKS - best keeper on our books - good communicator - experienced - coach the young lads early in the week, then let him prepare for the game later in the week - unless we can sign someone better

NADE - definitely has abilty - needs to be fit and get a better attitude - might have been an idea to take the 300K on offer from Palace - await offer from Watford (if they can sell ****tu) - watch this space - lots of ifs and buts!

MAKELA - poacher - not a great touch - would benefit from a run in the team - should be fit and sharp after loan spell - knows where the goals are and can score - not a player to give the ball to 30 yards out with his back to goal - NEVER TO BE PLAYED ON THE RIGHT WING!

MIKO - pacey, erratic, unpredictable (in other words - a winger!) - better on the left flank - squad man for wide positions

CESNY - tricky, moody, erratic, unpredictable, doesnae want tae track back (a winger in other words!) - Burley didnae rate him at all - hmm...

THOMSON - much loved by Robbo - rabbit in the headlights - doubtful

EGGERT - gonnae be BIG - holding defensive midfield type - can be trusted with Gran's pension - only sell for big bucks

CLUM - rated by Burley - DOES have abilty, but seriously lacking in confidence (something to do with the fans being on his back all the time) - move him on for everybody's sake!

MIKEY - decent - loose cannon - doesn't like to be given a 'role' - likes to do his own thing - might have been an idea not to take up the option - might benefit from calming down a wee bit - A SCOT (that could be an issue if Blatter gets his way - might not be a bad thing!)

KARAPIDIS - decent, despite the occasion mishap - good on the ball, but likes a lot of time, which he'll not get in the SPL

ZAL - NOT A MIDFIELD PLAYER by any stretch of the imagination - at best, a squad man at centre back - on the plus side he has plenty of confidence in his ability - on the down side his ability is questionable! - NOT the man to make play bringing the ball out from the back - gives away too many fouls - hothead - needs discipline

28 - fud - punt!

29 - knackered after a long injury - looks dangerous - isnae!

BASSO - not the answer - wulnae sign on the dotted, anyway!

SCREPIS - seems ok tae me - CHEAP! - not popular wi' the MGMT!

RUBEN - quailty - defensive holding type - like 'im

GLEN - good player - to be used sparingly, if possible

MOLE - has abilty & aggression - low on confidence after unsuccessful loan spell at QOS

MCDONALD - maybe deserves a run after doing well at Queens

MCGOWAN - regardless of what the youth team coaches say, better at center half - we've got loads of defensive midfield types anyway - gonnae be good (at centre half - hopefully!)

BESLIJA - always injured - assess when injured (in the unlikely event that such a thing could ever happen!)

who've I missed?

ROBBIE - decent experienced right back - guid enough for Burley, guid enough for me - hopefully a decent back up if we can sign a quality right back

WALLACE - needs to decide if he wants to be a fitba' player or a gangster - decent ability - would benefit from a run in the team - guid enough for Burley, guid enough for me - good back up if we can sign a quality left back

BERRA - decent - cares about whether we win or lose - could do with being the junior partner in a centre back pairing rather than being the main man calling the shots - might have been an idea to take the ?1.75M on offer fae Wolves - better than Zal

KINGSTON - quality player - should be retained as long as we can afford the 15K weekly salary

DRIVER - gonnae be a big player - bigger than Burnley, anyway (nae offence tae Burnley) - only sell at the right price (whatever that is!)

BANKS - best keeper on our books - good communicator - experienced - coach the young lads early in the week, then let him prepare for the game later in the week - unless we can sign someone better

NADE - definitely has abilty - needs to be fit and get a better attitude - might have been an idea to take the 300K on offer from Palace - await offer from Watford (if they can sell ****tu) - watch this space - lots of ifs and buts!

MAKELA - poacher - not a great touch - would benefit from a run in the team - should be fit and sharp after loan spell - knows where the goals are and can score - not a player to give the ball to 30 yards out with his back to goal - NEVER TO BE PLAYED ON THE RIGHT WING!

MIKO - pacey, erratic, unpredictable (in other words - a winger!) - better on the left flank - squad man for wide positions

CESNY - tricky, moody, erratic, unpredictable, doesnae want tae track back (a winger in other words!) - Burley didnae rate him at all - hmm...

EGGERT - gonnae be BIG - holding defensive midfield type - can be trusted with Gran's pension - only sell for big bucks

CLUM - rated by Burley - DOES have abilty, but seriously lacking in confidence (something to do with the fans being on his back all the time) - move him on for everybody's sake!

MIKEY - decent - loose cannon - doesn't like to be given a 'role' - likes to do his own thing - might have been an idea not to take up the option - might benefit from calming down a wee bit - A SCOT (that could be an issue if Blatter gets his way - might not be a bad thing!)

KARAPIDIS - decent, despite the occasion mishap - good on the ball, but likes a lot of time, which he'll not get in the SPL

ZAL - NOT A MIDFIELD PLAYER by any stretch of the imagination - at best, a squad man at centre back - on the plus side he has plenty of confidence in his ability - on the down side his ability is questionable! - NOT the man to make play bringing the ball out from the back - gives away too many fouls - hothead - needs discipline

28 - fud - punt!

MOLE - has abilty & aggression - low on confidence after unsuccessful loan spell at QOS

MCGOWAN - regardless of what the youth team coaches say, better at center half - we've got loads of defensive midfield types anyway - gonnae be good (at centre half - hopefully!)

BESLIJA - always injured - assess when injured (in the unlikely event that such a thing could ever happen!)

who've I missed?

Such a long post that you developed an accent during it!;)

I think we will have to start the season with what we have. It is not long now. I doubt we could expect more than one or two players to gel quick enough, and this has been a mistake we have made in the past. I think the high turnover, as well as Vlad Purging all the leaders from the squad, has lead to this mess.

For the mid-term I would be keeping (if possible) the back five. Whilst I don't think they are all great they know a fair bit about the club (3 from our youth setup). Zali might come ok with a decent manager, I still remember him scoring at Easter road. We need an experienced CB and preferably a full back who can play on either side.

Midfield - I would want to keep Ruben, Eggert, driver , and Kingston. Not really fussed about the rest. My worry is that only the first three seem like team players. We desperately need a Micky Cameron/Hartley type who can link play with the strikers and overlap them. Kingston sometimes does this for us but doesn't pass the ball enough.

Strikers - Glen is the only one I would want to hang on to. I think Big Mak might have to start the season, who knows? He has a good scoring record. McCoist was not exactly Pele.

Longer term - Berra, Wallace, Ruben, Eggert, Glen (maybe) are the ones I think would be worth building a new team around. I would say we pretty much need a new spine of experinced players (Goalie, CB, AM, CF). With experience in these areas we would then be ok to start bringing in more youth players.

Goalies - Keep Banks.

Defenders - Keep Neilson, Berra, Karipidis and Wallace.

Midfield - Keep Kingston, Driver, Jonsson and Palazuelos.

Strikers - Keep Glen and Mole.

Everyone else can go. Even a few of those are borderline, and you'd be hoping for better in an ideal world.

Guest JamboRobbo

Keep Berra, Robbie, Wallace, Miko, Johnson, Glen, Larry, Driver.

If we have any ambition at all, the rest can close the door on the way out.

Goalies - Keep Banks.

Everyone else can go. Even a few of those are borderline, and you'd be hoping for better in an ideal world.

keep neilson? why? hes the defensive weak link, well, more so than anyone else. should be one of the first out the door

That would probably be my list too. Might add Chesney or Mole to it.

Would be looking for more VFM from Kingston though this season. 3rd season in the SPL - no more excuses for lack of effort etc.

keep neilson? why? hes the defensive weak link, well, more so than anyone else. should be one of the first out the door

Basically because we've tried to replace him so many times and it's never quite worked. Neilson's a solid (and no more) SPL level performer, with a decent team around him he'd be fine. Obviously, I'd rather see us with better in that position but the fact is that supporting Hearts, you'll always see more Neilsons than Skacels.

Guest JamboRobbo
That would probably be my list too. Might add Chesney or Mole to it.

Would be looking for more VFM from Kingston though this season. 3rd season in the SPL - no more excuses for lack of effort etc.

Agree with all of that. Chesney or Mole could sneak in if they show something. But if they don't show enough, or don't get a chance, then they have no complaints.

And yes, re Larry. We need to get more from him, for the money we are paying.

Seymour M Hersh
Goalies - Keep Banks.

No McGowan or Rapnik? And why would you want to keep Robbie when you're being so ruthless. Makes no sense unless you rate him as a football player in which case your entire post is negated thru lack of ability in spotting a player.

No McGowan or Rapnik? And why would you want to keep Robbie when you're being so ruthless. Makes no sense unless you rate him as a football player in which case your entire post is negated thru lack of ability in spotting a player.

I've explained the Neilson thing already.

As for McGowan and Rapnik, I was talking about the first team squad from last season. I've heard promising things about both players, but haven't seen either of them play to form an opinion. Obviously the promising youngsters are worth keeping on.

I'd keep Berra, Kingston, Driver and Glen.

Empty everyone else. In terms of class we are behind Motherwell, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen.

At a push 6th next season with this lot.

Of the established first team players I'd keep Banks, Berra, Karipidis, Zaliukas (as an emergency forward incase we don't sign anyone!), Wallace, Jonsson, Ruben, Driver, Chesney, & Larry (if he's willing to get the finger out).

Feel we need more experience in both full back positions, centre back, upfront and in the middle of the park, particularly someone who can get goals from midfield or at least get beyond the oppositions defence.

Otherwise, give some of the younger guys like Thomson, McGowan, Rapnik, Glen and anyone who is promising from the youth set-up more first tem exposure.

I'd keep Jamie Mole over Miko, but otherwise those are the only ones I'd keep as well - and I wouldn't cry if some of them got dumped either tbh.

gowestjambo
Shiiit.

The best answer so far!!

Kingston Egert Driver Berra, to the rest they are by far the weakest link...GOODBYE........

rossthejambo

id keep banks, neilson, berra, wallace, karypidis, miko, kingston, ruben, jonsson, glen

chesny has to prove he can get backto his best and mole has to start showing his potential. if not then they can join the rest on the way out.

cant even make a team out of the players that i've picked. says it all really.

peebles jambo

i can't believe the amount of posters who'd keep robbie, he'd be the first i'd punt, the guy is gash, then all the lithuanians, rankers have got the lith i'd have kept, i'd keep larry and most of the youngsters, but the rest?, who knows

LarrysRightFoot

We really need a complete clear-out but with the amount of time it took to get Csaba in this isnt going to happen as we dont have enough time to sign enough new players and get them to gel!

Id keep (of the established first teamers):

Banks - as a coach and back up keeper

McDonald - I havent seen enough of him but maybe deserves a chance. Although if he left I wouldnt be heart broken.

Berra - Captain. I like him.

Wallace - Has ability and hopefully Csaba is the man to get the best out of him.

Ruben - Has a touch of class, though im not sure he and Eggert can play in the same four man midfield but thats a problem for the manager to sort out.

Eggert - Could be a fantastic player. Id like to see him drive forward more this season.

Driver - Loads of potential. Needs to stay fit.

Larry - Class. Needs to stay fit.

Id keep all the youngsters on the verge of the first team as well.

As for the rest of the first team squad they can F off! Players such as Nade have talent but he clearly doesnt want to be here and we desperatly need players who want to play for and are proud to play for Hearts!

Guest jambomickey

i'd build squad around berra, jonsson, palazuelos, driver, stewart, karipidis, wallace, kingston, glen and aguiar and punt the rest! i think we need a clear out and rebuild the squad. also what we need is a squad of 22 quality players and not like we've had with stupid numbers of dross players

very few of them deserve to be kept unless they show a big improvement, but you never know he could be the man to get it out of them. heres hoping!!:sad:

Bert Le Clos

Keep - Banks, Robbie, Karapidis, Berra, Wallace, Palazuelos, Johnsson, Kingson, Driver

Possibles - Goncalves (fitness and form), Screpis (haven't seen him), Cesney (fitness and form), Miko (form), Stewart (form), Nade (fitness, effort and form)

Keep all the youngsters too and give them some game time - Mole, Glen, Copil, Branny, Husband, Templeton, McGowan etc.

The rest - GTF

Bert Le Clos

Would you punt Ruben?

IMO he's one of our best players, especially if we are considering playing this 4-2-3-1 formation.

Are you serious, look back over the past 2 seasons and there are more goals that have been conceded because of Wallace / Goncalves than Robbie.

Honestly I think there is some sort of Neilson Rabies, that when his name is mentioned people begin to foam at the mouth and start shouting random things like 'weak link' and 'liability' when in reality defensively he's sound it's when he has to do something with the ball that problems start

I can't recall any games where he has been regularly roasted by the left winger

Dirk Diggler

I can't recall any games where he has been regularly roasted by the left winger

Of the top of my head....

Hearts 4 Rangers 2.

Perhaps not roasted by the left winger but.....

He was at fault for both their goals and was lucky Ivaskevicius stepped up to the plate to save his blushes.

;)

An awful football player.

EDIT- The following week (I think) in Inverness he was also at fault for allowing a ball to be put in the box from the bye line from their left winger.

:)

Jake Gittes

Chabas Condemned List - Bin instantly

Zalukas

Number 28

Audrey

Nade

Clum

Chesney

Mole

Besliga

Makela

Basso

Stay of execution for

Robbie

Lee Wallace

Mikey Stewart

portobellojambo1
Goalies - Keep Banks.

Seems like a reasonable take on things, although if I were brutally honest I think we should either be looking at replacing both full backs with new players coming in or trialling younger players up.

Having read through the thread there are some players being mentioned who some seem to have grown to accept, which could be a sign of we, as fans, lowering our standards.

At the end of the day though it doesn't matter what we think, it is what the manager sees in the squad, and which players he thinks can operate successfully within the systems he hopes to introduce.

hinksikensi

Banks - 1-2 seasons max left in him. will do for this season

Robbie - Steady(ish) squad palyer, not regular

Berra - best defender, asset

Karipidis - average, back up

Wallace - average but young enough to improve a fair bit under good guidance and managerial nouse

Zaliukas - liability. bin

Aguair - could be useful if fully fit playing regular

Stewart - i know hes a hearts fan but he is a tit. bin

Miko - worst attitude ive ever seen. bin

ivaskevicuis - hopeless. bin

Kingston - most talented player at club but again attitude is shocking at times. hopefully again the manager can get best out of him

Driver - potentially a very good player but suffers from left winger syndrome of inconsistency(think McCann)

Makela - hard to say but cost half a million so someone obviously saw something

Nade - cart-horse but suppose if he can shed a stone he'd be alright

Glen - definite potential but to soon to be figuring regularly

Ruben - i just dont see what evryone else sees i think hes mediocre

screpis - hard to tell give him a chance i suppose

Chesney - definitley better than miko but again soooo inconsistent. bin

Eggy - again the potential is there and again hopefully a good manager can get him to really push on

ksanavicuis - BIN

Of the top of my head....

Hearts 4 Rangers 2.

Perhaps not roasted by the left winger but.....

He was at fault for both their goals and was lucky Ivaskevicius stepped up to the plate to save his blushes.

;)

An awful football player.

EDIT- The following week (I think) in Inverness he was also at fault for allowing a ball to be put in the box from the bye line from their left winger.

:)

I'll agree with the Huns game as it was a poor tackle on Ferguson but Beasley's goal was well worked at pace from memory so I'm not sure what Robbie could have done

Goncalves - First goal against Rangers at Ibrox letting in McCulloch, equaliser v Motherwell last December

Wallace - ref ICT goal, it first came about because of a missed interception initially by Wallace, got sent off bringing Barry Robson down last man v Dundee Utd a poorer challenge than Robbie v Huns IMO

I'm sure there are more that I can't remember, I'm not trying to be a ****** but people often slate Neilson as the weak link when in reality he isn't responsible for as mant goals we lose as people would have us think. Certainly ignoring the two LB's a lot of goals last season came right through the middle of our defence i.e. Wales at Killie, Dundee Utd first game at Tynie, 1st game season missed interception by Zorba off the top of my head

I'm not saying I don't want a better RB but I think there are other areas to concentrate on and Wallace IMO is more of a defensive liability than Robbie

Miko - worst attitude ive ever seen. bin

Are you sure, it's commonly accepted here that Miko was one of the few players who stepped up in the 2nd half of last season, things didn't always work out sure, but I don't think his attitude could ever be brought into question. Going back further than that if you look in interviews with Elvis, Gordon etc it has been widely stated that Miko does more than most to intergrate himself with the whole squad and not get caught up in cliques

Libertonian_II

Definately keep Banks, Berra, Karipedis, Kingston, Aguair, Driver & Nade

Maybe Wallace @ left midfield, Mikoliunus or Cesnauskis wide right

As for the youngsters(Thomson excluded), I'll wait and see.

Taxi for the rest.

Broxburn_Jambo

28 - fud - punt!

who've I missed?

Makela a great poacher? knows where the goals are? based on which performance for Hearts, Alloa? The guy is rubbish, get rid imo.

Didn't read one word of the thead but i say get rid of the following

stewart

Ksanvicious

wallace

neilson(love him but time)

nade

Ivask......

clum

but i wou;ld keep the rest and try and make a team team out of them.

with at least 2 strikers and glen as backup or at one of the top boys???

Only a Game

Kind of struggling to keep 11 decent players here

Keeps:

Banks

Berra

Wallace

Aquiar

Kingston

Jonnson

Driver

Nade

Miko

Chesney

Glen

Not sure about (so probably best to keep for now):

Karapidis

Zaluikas

Palazuelos

Mole

Makela

Show the door

Basso

Neilson

Stewart

Elliott

Ksanvicious

Ivaskevicious

Beslija

leaves us a squad of 16 players worth persevering with IMO. Could do with another 10 ideally, both from signings and promotion of the decent youngsters. 5 of each might do the job for now.

KEEP

Banks

Berra

Karipidis

Wallace

Kingston

Jonnson

Driver

Glen

McGowan

Rapnik

Brown

Palazuelos

UNDECIDED

McDonald

Mole

Makela

Stewart

Cesnauskis

Mikoliunas

Nade

EMPTY

Basso

Neilson

Elliott

Ksanvicious

Ivaskevicious

Beslija

Aguiar

Zaliukas

Thomson

Assuming the above, I would start the season with...

Banks

Brown

Karipidis

Berra

Wallace

Kingston

McGowan

Jonsson

Driver

Glen

Makela

A bench of McDonald, Rapnik, Palazuelos, Stewart, Mikoliunas, Mole, Nade

The team I select is not great, it needs a few key additions. We need two experienced full backs, it would be unfair to expect Brown to walk in and play a whole season and IMO Wallace is NOT a full back but a central midfielder.

We need a strong centre half. Karipidis is in purely due to it being him or McGowan from my keep list.

We need a forward thinking midfielder. Not Paul Hartley but a driving midfielder not unlike the said player.

We need two strikers, that is a part of the field that we are really lacking in.

Hmmm. If I was Csaba and had put in charge earlier then I would have been tempted to get rid of as many players as possible and just start again but here is the players I would keep:

Goalkeepers: Jamie McDonald. Move Banks to full-time coach.

Defenders: Christophe Berra, Hristos Karipidis, Lee Wallace.

Midfielders: Ruben Palazeulos, Eggert Jonsson, Deividas Cesnauskis, Saulius Mikoliunas, Andrew Driver, Laryea Kingston, Bruno Aguiar.

Strikers: Gary Glen, Jamie Mole.

I reckon the likes of Chesney, Miko, Wallace, Mole etc would be able to develop under Csaba so would keep them as back-ups.

But we are missing many key players which if it was me in charge then I would be working hard to get players in. We are weakest in the striking department and in defence. I would be looking to bring in a new 'keeper, two full-backs, centre back, creative midfielder, possibly a winger/wide midfielder and two/three strikers.

I know it is wishful thinking that we could bring 9 players in between now and the end of August but if we filled those positions with Csaba's players then I would be very confident about the season ahead.

But if we brought in they 9 players then that would give us a sqaud of 21. The rest would be made upof the youngsters ie Jonathan Brown, Matej Rapnik, Ryan McGowan, Stephen Husband, Rocky Visconte, Dimutru Copil, Branimir Kostadinov etc who would get their chance if we got the sqaud down to a size of 21.

grumpyespana

BANKS

BERRA

KARIPIDIS

RAPNIK

KINGSTON

MIKOLIUNAS

PALAZUELOS

JONSSON

DRIVER

MAKELA

STEWART

BROWN

GLEN

McGOWAN

All the rest can go,I would also bring in two full-backs, a mid-field playmaker and two strikers who can score goals.

grumpyespana
BANKS

BERRA

KARIPIDIS

RAPNIK

KINGSTON

MIKOLIUNAS

PALAZUELOS

JONSSON

DRIVER

MAKELA

STEWART

BROWN

GLEN

McGOWAN

All the rest can go,I would also bring in two full-backs, a mid-field playmaker and two strikers who can score goals.

In reality only a few will leave us this season ie BASSO,ELLIOT,IVASKEVICIOUS,BESLIJA,AGUIAR & NADE. Hopefully Csaba will bring in 4 & 5 fresh faces to the squad.

Grumpy.

Archived