• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• heatonjambo

• rudi must stay

• luckyBatistuta

3 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

In your opinion

I just watched I Came By and Hugh Bonneville is terrific in it.

Who is underrated in your opinion

In an industry which has an "Awards Season" I find it hard to think of under-rated examples...There are certainly a lot of over-rated actors...

Is it not just that some actors only get cast for very specific types of role ie Bonneville.

Actors often complain of typecasting but it is often just that they are only really good in one sort of character or genre, or that is all the public wants to see them do? Of course some actors can break the mould by becoming rich enough to produce their own film, or someone gives them the opportunity... Robert De Niro was a good example where he was always cast as the gangster, tough guy and then decided he wanted to do a comedy so got Scorsese to make King of Comedy which wasn't even a comedy. He got closer to comedy with Midnight Run and then eventually did We're No Angels with Sean Penn and suddenly everyone was saying "He can do comedy!". Acclamation comes from breaking the typecast, is what I guess I'm saying...

When an actor fails to break the typecasting but happily and competently sits within it, then I guess he can be called "underrated"?

rudi must stay
Just now, William H. Bonney said:

Adam Sandler, as a serious actor, not comedic.

Vincent cassel

Michael Shannon 

John hawkes 

Cassel is a great actor 

jambos are go!
51 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

A few more 

James Franco

Can't remember his name but the first detective in Death In Paradise 

Ben Miller?

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Jeff said:

In what world is Waltz underrated? Think everyone knows how good he is

In the world that people recognise him but can't remember his name.

He's not in news constantly, isn't a big name but is good in every film he is in.

rudi must stay
10 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Bryan cranson. Away from breaking bad and malcolm he's done some really good films and your honor is worth watching.

Absolutely right

4 hours ago, Spellczech said:

In an industry which has an "Awards Season" I find it hard to think of under-rated examples...There are certainly a lot of over-rated actors...

Is it not just that some actors only get cast for very specific types of role ie Bonneville.

Actors often complain of typecasting but it is often just that they are only really good in one sort of character or genre, or that is all the public wants to see them do? Of course some actors can break the mould by becoming rich enough to produce their own film, or someone gives them the opportunity... Robert De Niro was a good example where he was always cast as the gangster, tough guy and then decided he wanted to do a comedy so got Scorsese to make King of Comedy which wasn't even a comedy. He got closer to comedy with Midnight Run and then eventually did We're No Angels with Sean Penn and suddenly everyone was saying "He can do comedy!". Acclamation comes from breaking the typecast, is what I guess I'm saying...

When an actor fails to break the typecasting but happily and competently sits within it, then I guess he can be called "underrated"?

Similar to Leslie Neilson, started off in straight roles then became one of the great comedy actors.

3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Hugh Grant 

Christoph Waltz

Diane Kruger

I really like Hugh Grant. He is a great comedy actor in the old tradition of Cary Grant but also a good dramatic actor. 

4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

In your opinion

I just watched I Came By and Hugh Bonneville is terrific in it.

Who is underrated in your opinion

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Jason Watkins 

Hugh Bonneville and  Jason Watkins could never be described as under-rated.  They get lots of strong parts in drama, film  and in comedy.   

rudi must stay
Just now, Lone Striker said:

Hugh Bonneville and  Jason Watkins could never be described as under-rated.  They get lots of strong parts in drama, film  and in comedy.   

Fair enough I suppose you're right

Malinga the Swinga

Pretty sure op says 'in your opinion'. In my opinion, my 3 are underrated.

Grant is the posh guy but he is better than just that, Waltz the wee Nazi in Inglorious Basterds and Kruger a stock actor where a foreign female required. They're both better than just that.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

1 minute ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Not sure these 3 could be classed as under rated.

Im no so sure people are understanding the concept of " under  rated" or maybe its a subjective thing ?  id consider actors who are under rated are the ones who dont get leading roles or awards recognition ?  However i dont really take much notice of whos won awards etc as that can just be a popularity contest . Earlier in the thread i said John Cusack was under rated as he fits my criteria of not getting the leading parts he cleary should have i feel. 

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Grant is the posh guy

I think he still plays " posh" characters but seems to mix it up well in comedies or dramas.  He plays it well so why not.  He was terrific as Jeremy Thorpe in " a very British scandal" and absolutely hysterical in " paddington 2" 

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Pretty sure op says 'in your opinion'. In my opinion, my 3 are underrated.

Grant is the posh guy but he is better than just that, Waltz the wee Nazi in Inglorious Basterds and Kruger a stock actor where a foreign female required. They're both better than just that.

Kruger is underrated. She is a very good actress

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I think he still plays " posh" characters but seems to mix it up well in comedies or dramas.  He plays it well so why not.  He was terrific as Jeremy Thorpe in " a very British scandal" and absolutely hysterical in " paddington 2" 

He's class in About a Boy, class in Notting Hill and not too bad in Operation Fortune, Ruse De Guerre with Jason Statham.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

He's class in About a Boy, class in Notting Hill and not too bad in Operation Fortune, Ruse De Guerre with Jason Statham.

I havent seen any of these films ! but i take your word. 

2 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Bryan cranson. Away from breaking bad and malcolm he's done some really good films and your honor is worth watching.

Good shout 

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, William H. Bonney said:

Adam Sandler, as a serious actor, not comedic.

Vincent cassel

Michael Shannon 

John hawkes 

Agreed on Adam Sandler, unbelievably good performance in ‘Uncut Gems’

I’m not sure just how famous this woman is, but after watching ‘The Woman in the Wall’, I’m putting up Ruth Wilson. Tremendous performance from her in this. If you haven’t seen it, I can highly recommend it.

Dennis Quaid. He seems to have spent most of his career making the wrong choices of films to be in. But when he has the right part he is fantastic. When Val Kilmer was getting all the plaudits for his Doc Holiday I thought Quaid’s was much better and more layered. 

4 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

He was good, Shame you never see him anymore.

I'm assuming you are joking and know he died 20 years ago?😁 Molina has been gone a while too

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Dennis Quaid. He seems to have spent most of his career making the wrong choices of films to be in. But when he has the right part he is fantastic. When Val Kilmer was getting all the plaudits for his Doc Holiday I thought Quaid’s was much better and more layered. 

Great goal against Aberdeen up there also while he was filming his best movie the big easy

😅

Just now, Spellczech said:

I'm assuming you are joking and know he died 20 years ago?😁 Molina has been gone a while too

try closer to 30 years (29 to be exact). His portrayal of gomez addams in the addams family and addams family values were very good performances

12 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

Alfred Molina 

very underrated actor 

Great in “ a prick up your ears “ 

1 minute ago, heatonjambo said:

This is a great thread

how about Tom Wilkinson?

One of those brilliant solid British actors that we used to turn out in great numbers. Pete Postlethwaite another great example. 

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

This is a great thread

how about Tom Wilkinson?

He's rated just right IMO he steals films one of the best