FireStick

Fire_At_The_Disco

Thunder and Lightning
3 minutes ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Just a quickie do people use a vpn on their firestick after adding apps?  If yes what would you recommend ? Cheers 

No, but they can be handy if you want to access things locked by location. 

Also, some apps (iptv) have built in vpns.

Fire_At_The_Disco
4 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

No, but they can be handy if you want to access things locked by location. 

Also, some apps (iptv) have built in vpns.

Would you recommend IPTV (which one) or Kodi, it’s for my home bar set-up. Absolute minefield for an auld yin like moi. 

Thunder and Lightning
1 minute ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Would you recommend IPTV (which one) or Kodi, it’s for my home bar set-up. Absolute minefield for an auld yin like moi. 

I used to use kodi, but found it a bit more troublesome. Always having to update something. 

IPTV is pretty much plug and play. Once it's set up it's updates when needed. If you want the minimum hassle I'd go with iptv. 

In terms of which one. I have had a few but my current one has been for about 5 years and rarely has any issues. 3 kings I think is the name. 

Edited by Thunder and Lightning

2 hours ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

Just a quickie do people use a vpn on their firestick after adding apps?  If yes what would you recommend ? Cheers 

Surfshark works well for iptv.
There’s probably cheaper out there but can’t vouch for their efficacy. 

Thunder and Lightning
19 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Surfshark works well for iptv.
There’s probably cheaper out there but can’t vouch for their efficacy. 

Be careful if using a vpn tho. Some iptv lock onto your ip address, using a vpn will change that meaning you will need to contact them to unlock it. 

It's to stop the service being used in multiple locations at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Be careful if using a vpn tho. Some iptv lock onto your ip address, using a vpn will change that meaning you will need to contact them to unlock it. 

Quite right, they don't want some scheister ripping off their ripped off stream.  😄

Thunder and Lightning
Just now, davemclaren said:

Quite right, they don't want some scheister ripping off their ripped off stream.  😄

😂 A very good point. 

1 hour ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Consumers rarely have static IPs, you sure about that?

4 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Getting set up with Youfibre today.

They offer static ip £5 pm

I just took for my son's gaming

Thunder and Lightning
8 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Yes, the firestick will get an ip when it boots up. It will have that mostly until a reboot. The vpn will change it to another. 

Yes, the firestick will get an ip when it boots up. It will have that mostly until a reboot. The vpn will change it to another. 

The firestick will have the same external ip has every other device connected to your home network regardless of how many times you reboot it. The only thing that will change that ip is your modem connected to your isp. How often that changes I’ve no idea but more than likely every time you reboot your modem/hub or connection drops for whatever reason. 

Thunder and Lightning
3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

The firestick will have the same external ip has every other device connected to your home network regardless of how many times you reboot it. The only thing that will change that ip is your modem connected to your isp. How often that changes I’ve no idea but more than likely every time you reboot your modem/hub or connection drops for whatever reason. 

Sorry yes, that's what I was talking about. The vpn sends traffic to a new ip so the router ip is bypassed to mask the source etc. 

You put it far better than I. 😂 

2 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Sorry yes, that's what I was talking about. The vpn sends traffic to a new ip so the router ip is bypassed to mask the source etc. 

You put it far better than I. 😂 

👍

2 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Internal IP addresses are irrelevant, it's the IP address facing the world that counts.

Unless you've requested a static IP address from your provider, you have one that changes - they have a big pool of IP addresses that are allocated to their customers, but the one you're allocated won't stay the same.

If what you're saying was correct, stream providers would be having to unlock accounts all the time due to normal IP address changes.

7 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Internal IP addresses are irrelevant, it's the IP address facing the world that counts.

Unless you've requested a static IP address from your provider, you have one that changes - they have a big pool of IP addresses that are allocated to their customers, but the one you're allocated won't stay the same.

If what you're saying was correct, stream providers would be having to unlock accounts all the time due to normal IP address changes.

I don’t think they actually change that much these days with fibre connections. It will vary but you can have the same ip for months at time. 

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I don’t think they actually change that much these days with fibre connections. It will vary but you can have the same ip for months at time. 

Indeed, but the majority aren't on fibre

1 minute ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Indeed, but the majority aren't on fibre

True, I’d imagine majority of streamers are though, or at least some sort of fast always on connection. 

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

True, I’d imagine majority of streamers are though, or at least some sort of fast always on connection. 

Maybe, but that's only part of it.

Stream providers care how many streams you're taking, they couldn't GAF where you are.

The method being discussed doesn't make sense, it doesn't solve a problem that the provider cares about, and would involve excess manual work with direct customer contact. These are not what your provider wants.

7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Getting set up with Youfibre today.

They offer static ip £5 pm

I just took for my son's gaming

That's no bad

Thunder and Lightning
55 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

How often do you reboot your router? 

That's when your external ip will change. 

Using a vpn spoofs a different ip, you connect to or look to be somewhere else. With a different ip. 

How often do you reboot your router? 

That's when your external ip will change. 

Using a vpn spoofs a different ip, you connect to or look to be somewhere else. With a different ip. 

Not that often, are you suggesting I would need to contact my IPTV provider every time if I did it weekly?

My sister in law turns hers off every night.

Thunder and Lightning
3 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Not that often, are you suggesting I would need to contact my IPTV provider every time if I did it weekly?

My sister in law turns hers off every night.

No. 

Good for your sister. Very safety conscious. 

5 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

No. 

Good for your sister. Very safety conscious. 

When was the last time you looked at an IPTV panel?

Thunder and Lightning

When was the last time you looked at an IPTV panel?

Why would I do that? That's what I pay for. 

If you read my post it says "some". 

Are you a reseller of iptv? 

6 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Why would I do that? That's what I pay for. 

If you read my post it says "some". 

Are you a reseller of iptv? 

Mate, you don't understand what you're talking about.

The point of VPN with IPTV is to disguise your traffic from your ISP, they do this with an encrypted tunnel. Your IPTV provider doesn't care about your IP address, there's all sorts of reasons that could change. They care about how many streams you're accessing at once, and there's other ways to do that.

Thunder and Lightning
6 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Mate, you don't understand what you're talking about.

The point of VPN with IPTV is to disguise your traffic from your ISP, they do this with an encrypted tunnel. Your IPTV provider doesn't care about your IP address, there's all sorts of reasons that could change. They care about how many streams you're accessing at once, and there's other ways to do that.

Your ISP does not care what you stream, not one bit.  Long gone are the days of Sky etc blocking the providers, its a token effort at best now.

IP Locked vs IP Unlocked is something people should check before they purchase that flavour of IPTV.  If you can't understand that then that's on you.

Again, are you a reseller of IPTV?  If not when was the last time you looked at an IPTV panel?

As always you lock on and talk shite.

You need to up your google game.

Your ISP does not care what you stream, not one bit.  Long gone are the days of Sky etc blocking the providers, its a token effort at best now.

IP Locked vs IP Unlocked is something people should check before they purchase that flavour of IPTV.  If you can't understand that then that's on you.

Again, are you a reseller of IPTV?  If not when was the last time you looked at an IPTV panel?

As always you lock on and talk shite.

You need to up your google game.

I haven't googled a word. I'm certainly no expert, it's been years since I had any involvement in any of this stuff, and a decade since I had to troubleshoot networks. But you don't know what you're talking about.

Thunder and Lightning

I haven't googled a word. I'm certainly no expert, it's been years since I had any involvement in any of this stuff, and a decade since I had to troubleshoot networks. But you don't know what you're talking about.

You certainly are not.

Run along you tiresome bore. :kirklol:

Fire_At_The_Disco

It’s all mumbo-jumbo to me tbh, so do I get a paid vpn or not? What would you recommend ? It’s not going to be used a lot apart from in the man-cave when I’m getting bevvied, I have skyQ and multi room in main house. 

Thunder and Lightning
7 minutes ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

It’s all mumbo-jumbo to me tbh, so do I get a paid vpn or not? What would you recommend ? It’s not going to be used a lot apart from in the man-cave when I’m getting bevvied, I have skyQ and multi room in main house. 

I wouldn't, and don't have one on my current iptv. 

39 minutes ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

A lot depends on your broadband supplier I thought. I don't need one with Vodafone but pretty sure that Sky were one that you did need one as they are able to block the football. Apologies if that's nonsense but it is what I was told.

Thunder and Lightning
5 hours ago, cazzyy said:

A lot depends on your broadband supplier I thought. I don't need one with Vodafone but pretty sure that Sky were one that you did need one as they are able to block the football. Apologies if that's nonsense but it is what I was told.

True, my parents have sky and the same iptv as I do. First game of the season sky try various things and the football Is blacked out. It's back on by about half time. A vpn would get round that. But it's not worth it for 45 mins a year. 😂 

The one I have is more stable than my sky dish ever was. 

My IPTV provider doesn't need an VPN, until there's a block on the football which still happens but rarely. Then they let you know to turn VPN on. Every Saturday at 3pm the telegram group chat lights up with the same ding dongs complaining they can't get a stream cos they think they're being clever by dicking about with a vpn when not needed.  So, long story short, I wouldn't bother with one. 

• 1 month later...
Berraberra

Hi all, can anyone recommend a reliable Iptv provider please for a newbie? I’m OK on general IT and have nord vpn already but I’m definitely not in the whiz kid camp, so something easy to get connected, to watch it on a firestick and sometimes an iPad when the kids are hogging the tv! New Year’s resolution was to look at the subscriptions and between Sky, Disney, Viaplay and tnt/discovery +, it’s crazy money right now. Thank you! 

Thunder and Lightning

The one I have is really quite simple. Download an app to the firestick. About 10 minutes to set up and it just works. 

Tv

Box sets 

Films

All the usual stuff but very good picture and mine  doesn't buffer. 

hampdenhero

Slightly off topic. If I use a a VPN and connect to say usa on a fire stick and log in to netflix will ot be the American version?

17 minutes ago, hampdenhero said:

Slightly off topic. If I use a a VPN and connect to say usa on a fire stick and log in to netflix will ot be the American version?

If the adds try to sell you Diapers, then it's American...:thumbsup:

crunchy frog
1 hour ago, hampdenhero said:

Netflix are getting wise to that now, a message will pop up telling you you're using a vpn and block the stream. The way I could tell I was on US Netflix was searching for the original twilight zone series which is on US but not UK.  

Berraberra

5 hours ago, OBE said:

👆👆👆👆 Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT)...Agent...:detective:

Lol. No not a fact agent. Just fed up with Sky pricing especially. A fortune for very weak Scottish coverage. None of my close mates have IPTV unfortunately, so a little help to get me going would be appreciated!