Harvey Barnes: Scotland's Got Options...

Deodato

You take Harvey Barnes, Anthony Gordon, Elliot Anderson and Tino Livramento to the Euros. Who you leaving out of the current squad to accommodate?

1 hour ago, SkabalaJam said:

You take Harvey Barnes, Anthony Gordon, Elliot Anderson and Tino Livramento to the Euros. Who you leaving out of the current squad to accommodate?

Christie, Jacob Brown, Armstrong, Taylor…although I’d be more interested in Doak than Barnes.

Edited by Deviskan

I'm all for it but only if they desperately want to play for us, and they will give everything for the cause, and most importantly be proud to don the shirt 

I would have thought if they really wanted to play for us they would have already indicated their allegiance by now.

The fact that they really don't have much chance of playing for England, but haven't yet decided, is putting me off a bit, if I'm honest. I get the benefits of getting them, or some of them in, 100%, but still ..... 

On 17/11/2023 at 10:37, BigAlim said:

Harvey Barnes, Anthony Gordon, Elliott Anderson and Tino Livramento are all eligible for Scotland. Short drive for them at least

All of them zero chance of playing regularly for Engerlund 

No brainer 

3 hours ago, SkabalaJam said:

Armstrong, Taylor, Kenny McLean, christie for starters 

8 hours ago, Deodato said:

Rugby does, but if you were a world class South African rugby player trying to make a professional career out of it - like Steyn - wouldn't you look elsewhere given your home country is falling apart. I agree @indianajones but context is required given South Africa is the nation that Scotland is recruiting from. 

Kyle Steyn who's mum is from Glasgow?

8 hours ago, Deodato said:

@HamishMcGonagall what was that famous Daily Record headline in the late 90s which went something like England's new Scotland striker is actually Jamaican? 

My memory is very sketchy on David Johnson.

Here is Wiki account of it.

Screenshot_20231118_181711_Chrome.jpg

6 hours ago, Deviskan said:

Christie, Jacob Brown, Armstrong, Taylor…although I’d be more interested in Doak than Barnes.

4 hours ago, Spookie said:

All of them zero chance of playing regularly for Engerlund 

No brainer 

Suppose, the other question is if you don't take them who else out there to step up. Lot of players in current squad will be well into their 30's if targeting world cup 2026.

On 17/11/2023 at 10:50, Pasquale for King said:

I think John Barnes might prove you wrong there. 
Anyone that’s lived and played in our league for 5 years used to be able play football for Scotland, not sure if that’s changed. 

John Barnes qualified because he had a British passport, not because of residency.  He actually said if Scotland had asked him first he'd have committed to us.

The home nations agreement in the 90s stopped similar happening. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

John Barnes qualified because he had a British passport, not because of residency.  He actually said if Scotland had asked him first he'd have committed to us.

The home nations agreement in the 90s stopped similar happening. 

You sure about that? A simple check would have saved you looking daft.
The point i was answering was that residency wasn’t used in football, it is. 

564E30F3-6EA3-4BE8-B8E1-923A5F6471CC.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You sure about that? A simple check would have saved you looking daft.
The point i was answering was that residency wasn’t used in football, it is. 

564E30F3-6EA3-4BE8-B8E1-923A5F6471CC.jpeg

I don't look daft. Apologies on the passport, but the point stands. He played because Jamaicans qualified for the UK, not because he'd stayed here.

Of course residency is used in football, I don't disagree with that. Look at Diego Costa or Marcos Senna. However, the home nations agreement means we don't cap players on residency.

23 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I don't look daft. Apologies on the passport, but the point stands. He played because Jamaicans qualified for the UK, not because he'd stayed here.

Of course residency is used in football, I don't disagree with that. Look at Diego Costa or Marcos Senna. However, the home nations agreement means we don't cap players on residency.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but didn't that change when we were trying to cap Andy Driver?

Or do you mean that a foreign national in England could still play for any of the home nations?

28 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Not sure if this is what you mean, but didn't that change when we were trying to cap Andy Driver?

Or do you mean that a foreign national in England could still play for any of the home nations?

That's the school rule that was introduced because of Driver. If you attend 5 years of school you qualify for the nation you reside in.

But in terms of a foreign player staying here for 5 years and getting residency say, there's an agreement we won't touch that. Probably just as well as England could just take their pick of the world's best youngsters.

26 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

That's the school rule that was introduced because of Driver. If you attend 5 years of school you qualify for the nation you reside in.

But in terms of a foreign player staying here for 5 years and getting residency say, there's an agreement we won't touch that. Probably just as well as England could just take their pick of the world's best youngsters.

Cheers, big fan of your law blog

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

He played because he was a great player, did they pick any other guys from the Commonwealth countries? 
I didn’t say we did, just that you could if you wanted too. 

38 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He played because he was a great player, did they pick any other guys from the Commonwealth countries? 
I didn’t say we did, just that you could if you wanted too. 

Luther Blissett was similar I'm sure.

21 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Also similar to my own moniker, Luther Blissett is (or was) a commonly used pseudonym, like the Alan Smithee I'm named after.

lol if arvey barnes wanted to play for scotland he'd be long in the pic, playing for us already. **** im!

If I'm honest i'd rather some Dumfy boy, from the ranks playing for us rather than some puedo jock!

**** off!

7 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Also similar to my own moniker, Luther Blissett is (or was) a commonly used pseudonym, like the Alan Smithee I'm named after.

I had no idea about that til you mentioned it, then had a Google 😂

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Again not sure if it was residency or passport, not that it matters for such a trailblazer as he was..

AEF2F832-01FC-4123-8DAF-47991B403658.jpeg

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

lol if arvey barnes wanted to play for scotland he'd be long in the pic, playing for us already. **** im!

If I'm honest i'd rather some Dumfy boy, from the ranks playing for us rather than some puedo jock!

**** off!

Did you celebrate when Don Hutchison scored at Wembley or any of the McTominay goals that secured qualification for Germany?

Beggars cant be choosers.

As others have said, I’m my view, if there’s a connection within the rules and their heart is in it, then great 👍 

If they’re faffing around hedging their bets for ages, then cheerio. 

On 17/11/2023 at 09:47, Deodato said:

Hearing the brilliant Tom English on BBC Radio Scotland last night made me think about this. 

Hiya Tom.