***Georgia vs Scotland - Official Match Thread - 1700 ***

JimmyCant

9 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

That table is inaccurate, it must have been last updated before tonights matches. Spain will be Pot 1 assuming they don't lose v Georgia at home on Sunday. Turkey are currently 2pts behind them with a far inferior gaol difference with just one game left. 

Yep, confirmed...

So best result for us is something like 1-0 or 2-1. It means we finish the group with a win and it keeps us in pot 3, which would result in us avoiding teams like Italy and Netherlands.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Mikey1874

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Three things I took from last night's game.  We are not as good defensively in a back 4.  Shankland has to be in the 23 for Germany.  Georgia No 7 (can't be bothered trying to spell his name) is a class act.

alicante jambo
35 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

So best result for us is something like 1-0 or 2-1. It means we finish the group with a win and it keeps us in pot 3, which would result in us avoiding teams like Italy and Netherlands.

Thats how im seeing it too. 3rd pot deffo better for us.

9 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

That double, double toil and trouble.

The best line in Macbeth was:-

"Fair is foul and foul is fair, except when it be a penalty to Rangers".

Even Shakespeare knew...

Shankland is the only natural goal scorer Scotland has. Give him a prolonged run of games like they have Adams and Dykes and he will out score them both. His all round general play is far better as well. Dykes has had some decent games for Scotland but he is nowhere near good enough to lead the line next summer, his first touch is awful. 

Anyway get him a new contract asap, he's the best Hearts player I have seen since Rudi and best striker we have had since Robbo. 

17 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Shankland is the only natural goal scorer Scotland has. Give him a prolonged run of games like they have Adams and Dykes and he will out score them both. His all round general play is far better as well. Dykes has had some decent games for Scotland but he is nowhere near good enough to lead the line next summer, his first touch is awful. 

Anyway get him a new contract asap, he's the best Hearts player I have seen since Rudi and best striker we have had since Robbo. 

I'm inclined to agree with @PapaShango Dykes gives 100% every game (the off the ball work he does is immense, and exhausting) but he is not a sharp shooter. Adams, I've seen him produce moments of brilliance  at Southampton but he's not someone the midfield can work their socks off for, and expect the scoreboard to change. Shankland has that - you've got players like Super John McGinn who are off the charts good right now, give these guys a sharp shooter that can execute and maybe, we're talking getting out of the group stage in Germany next year. 

I'm serious, Scotland really could progress. We have the pieces of the puzzle in place. And if Stevie C reckons we can work this Ben Doak fella into the team, then we really are moving the squad into third gear. 

And remember, most important of all, is the squad spirit - Stevie C always refers to how much the squad like coming together and training. I find that so refreshing, so special. You can't price what's priceless. 

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, jamborich said:

Not sure what your on about there Dykes played 85 minutes Shankland played 10 mins and scored this nonsense we don’t have quality is a load of crap put the ball in the box Shankland wins all day long Georgia knew how to cope with Dykes but struggled with Shankland 

You don’t think Harry Kane has better players around him than any Scotland striker has? 
Shankland has even more limitations at this level than Dykes or Adams is the point, you need to be able to do more than he can. 
Hes a handy guy to bring on, or play against lower level teams where you have to create chances but away to a decent team isnt the place to play him on his own up front. 

20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You don’t think Harry Kane has better players around him than any Scotland striker has? 
Shankland has even more limitations at this level than Dykes or Adams is the point, you need to be able to do more than he can. 
Hes a handy guy to bring on, or play against lower level teams where you have to create chances but away to a decent team isnt the place to play him on his own up front. 

Was immense at Ibrox only a few weeks ago. 

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Was immense at Ibrox only a few weeks ago. 

He wasn’t playing against international players though was he? Or on his own up front, which he struggles to do against the absolute elite he plays every week. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Goals since start of last season

Dykes 9

Adams 13

Jacob Brown 9

Nisbet 22

Shankland 38

Offset by the standard they’re playing at. 

1 hour ago, karipidis said:

Norway game should be interesting - Unstoppable Goal Machine v Haaland. 

Haaland v Patterson, Taylor and Porteous...

2e0.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=086f54ac2d50aae17

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, karipidis said:

Norway game should be interesting - Unstoppable Goal Machine v Haaland. 

It seems that Haaland has suffered an ankle injury late on in their match against the Faroes. Probably won't be risked against Scotland as he's had a problem with the same ankle before. We'll see.

2 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Group:

Austria, Albania, Scotland, Israel or Romania. We can only hope 😊

Austria definitely won’t be pot 1 mate. It’s basically between us and them for the last pot in pot 2. If we beat Norway by 2+ goals it’s us. Any other result it’s them. 

The top 6 seeds are going to be the following:

Belgium

Germany 

Spain

Portugal 

England 

France 

That’s the order I’d prefer to draw them in! 

12 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Austria definitely won’t be pot 1 mate. It’s basically between us and them for the last pot in pot 2. If we beat Norway by 2+ goals it’s us. Any other result it’s them. 

The top 6 seeds are going to be the following:

Belgium

Germany 

Spain

Portugal 

England 

France 

That’s the order I’d prefer to draw them in! 

Damn it, I was looking at an earlier post with the "expected" pots in it. Going on those teams, I think I would prefer Germany tbh. Have sometimes been slow starters in previous years. 

5 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Damn it, I was looking at an earlier post with the "expected" pots in it. Going on those teams, I think I would prefer Germany tbh. Have sometimes been slow starters in previous years. 

Yeah, in many previous years Germany would be a side to avoid if at all possible but they simply don’t have the players a France or England currently do. That said they are on home soil and could sadly quickly build momentum. An opening game against them would be some occasion.  

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He wasn’t playing against international players though was he? Or on his own up front, which he struggles to do against the absolute elite he plays every week. 

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Offset by the standard they’re playing at. 

Fecking hell, you go to some lenghts to down play our own!

According to many,Shankland has scored 38 goals despite playing in a slow, turgid, unfit, defensive, shite, etc  Hearts team.

And that's on top of all his baxin rolls!😱

Guy is a hero if that's true.

5 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Three things I took from last night's game.  We are not as good defensively in a back 4.  Shankland has to be in the 23 for Germany.  Georgia No 7 (can't be bothered trying to spell his name) is a class act.

Their number 7 plays for Napoli. An absolute prick of a guy goin on last nights showing, but you’re right, he’s a player. Kept puttin me in mind of Christopher Moltisanti. Who too was a prick 😊

I think what last night showed is that if we are to have any success next year we need our best players fit and on the park, Gunn (or Gordon), Hickey, Robertson, Tierney are big losses at this level and it showed last night with how disjointed we looked between midfield and defence. The likes of Taylor and Patterson in the full back areas get found out at international level.