25th August 1984 Frankie Says...

dannymack

17 minutes ago, gordon simpson said:

back in the day hibs had the upper hand ,that game changed everything and we have never looked back 

Said that to a mate. It was the beginning of our derby dominance, which makes that picture even more iconic.

29 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

I was in the Shed that day. Henry's save from the header was world class.

Even from that distance you could see it was an incredible save.

That 3 goal blast is one of my favourite memories of the old shed.

🎶 Always look on the bright side of life... 🎵 😃 

Hahahahahaha the first photo - Guy with grey hair in his late 40s ...grey suit....shirt and tie - in amongst all the nuts - just shows that it takes all types !

36 minutes ago, martoon said:

Even from that distance you could see it was an incredible save.

That 3 goal blast is one of my favourite memories of the old shed.

🎶 Always look on the bright side of life... 🎵 😃 

Liam Brady came out after that game and said Hearts were strong contenders for the league title. We ended up finishing in 2nd place, nine points behind Rangers and one point in front of Celtic.

Looking at all the pics... was that the game when all of Lothian and Borders finest were stood in front of the Hearts support. I also remember getting smacked in the back of the head by the many missiles raining down. 

Edited by Marvin

8 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Liam Brady came out after that game and said Hearts were strong contenders for the league title. We ended up finishing in 2nd place, nine points behind Rangers and one point in front of Celtic.

I've never forgotten Gerry McNee's bitterness in his post match interview with Joe Jordan.

Big Joe just looked at him as if he was nuts.

Had been to the 2 games at Easter Road the previous season but they were extremely tame compared to this afternoon.

As a 14 year old kept well out the way to the left of the goal as it all started going crazy after the Hibs goal and at half time. 
Similar scenes at Tannadice at the league cup semi a few weeks later.

Great pictures Danny. 

millerjames398
5 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

My first away derby

Absolute carnage in the Dunbar end after underage pints in the Traveller's Tryst

I've still got this as my screen saver

My first Edinburgh derby_ A win for The Hearts, naturally.jpeg

That pictures givin me goosebumps and i wasn't even at the game(only 5 back then)😂🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

millerjames398
3 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

This popped up on the Twitter earlier too, what a day that was at Tynie, 32 years ago, wow!

Different class mate,,,first time id seen us give them a proper burst beak.."always look on the bright side of life"...😂🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

millerjames398
2 hours ago, Sir PH said:

Tommy coyne header if it went 2-0 we were done..the rests history👍🏼🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

millerjames398

Also fair play to danny mac,,never misses the spot with these nostalgia threads absolutely fantastic 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

2 hours ago, Sir PH said:

If anyone asks me 'What is the best save ever?'. That's the one I say. 

The man literally changed direction in mid air! Incredible save. 

15 hours ago, rmreido said:

As Derby's go, it was mental....

Screenshot_20231115_231944_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d775f791dee17e0323096de91d9180e9.jpg

Chris Alison, (he stayed across the road from me) getting lifted here when running on the pich at halftime.

**** I looked at that and thought is that Chris! Clerie jungle ya bass. i took him to a game with me a couple of seasons ago as had spare ticket but I'd no repeat that experience 

I started following the JTs in 1983

As far as I’m concerned us owning them is the Natural Order 😀

Derbies in those days were, erm a bit tasty 😀😀

We had Jambos in the team

They had Hobos

It was different gravy 😀

3 hours ago, crunchy frog said:

**** I looked at that and thought is that Chris! Clerie jungle ya bass. i took him to a game with me a couple of seasons ago as had spare ticket but I'd no repeat that experience 

Aye it's Chris, was at school with his wee brother Grieve, many moons ago...

The Dunbar End was a fantastic education.  My long term love affair with Jimmy Bone started that day.  Brilliant photos, thanks for posting them.

Anyone remember the "We're the best behaved supporters in the land (when we win)" chant in the early/mid 80's?

It wasn't true.

Not down at Easter Road, anyway.

August '84 was my second Hearts win there, my first was another 1-2 in the East of Scotland Shield in October 1981 and the GA "enjoyed" themselves both times.

Hibs casuals at the second game:

Pffft. 

Edited by martoon

12 hours ago, Arry said:

Sure this “young” chap posts on this forum. 😂 

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, sac said:

I do, although I’m no a young chap anymore. Had words wi big Jackie MacNamara that day. Think I upset him.😉

Afternoon Jackie you hibs sod ! 

Screenshot_20231116_202631_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231116_202821_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231116_203016_Chrome.jpg

21 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

Staunchness is nothing new.

Beating Hibs is nothing new.

One out of two correct.

Mind the day well. Loved the away days on the auld Hibs terracing.

The cops look more dated than the fans though... the one with the beard like Sutcliffe...

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Anyone still got the T Shirt after all these years? I lost mine in a RAF barrack block fire in 87 😫😫

My version from Topsport in Gorgie and proudly worn that magic day in the Dunbar End as a 13yr old and in Paris a few weeks later - if only I could still fit in it😁🤘
image.jpeg.4de373d6acdb672b7e0fdd1ce9672f46.jpegimage.jpeg.ae1cd1aaeb3b0cddefe1bc3ea5aaa735.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Hook said:

My version from Topsport in Gorgie and proudly worn that magic day in the Dunbar End as a 13yr old and in Paris a few weeks later - if only I could still fit in it😁🤘
image.jpeg.4de373d6acdb672b7e0fdd1ce9672f46.jpegimage.jpeg.ae1cd1aaeb3b0cddefe1bc3ea5aaa735.jpeg

👏👏👏👏👏

millerjames398
1 hour ago, dannymack said:

Screenshot_20231116_232242_Gallery.jpg

Love how he describes it as a small minority..looked like that end was packed with lunatics,,Wallace sticking up for the troops😂🇱🇻

Fire_At_The_Disco

What a mental day that was, I was 16 and can remember the police on horses just taking swings at anyone that moved after the game, got battered on the head. Was an absolute riot at St James centre too, our fans absolutely wrecked the place……these were dark times 😝 

20 hours ago, JyTees said:

Said that to a mate. It was the beginning of our derby dominance, which makes that picture even more iconic.

The 3-2 home win the previous year felt like a pivotal moment but winning at Fester Road confirmed we had turned the tide.

gordon simpson

everyone looks a lot fitter in those days ,went to the game to watch football ,not sit looking at phones and munching grub the whole game 

19 hours ago, gordon simpson said:

everyone looks a lot fitter in those days ,went to the game to watch football ,not sit looking at phones and munching grub the whole game 

a lot slimmer gordon, and younger,   slimmer due to chasing hibbies all over the place ft🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🤣🤣🤣

On 16/11/2023 at 23:25, dannymack said:

Screenshot_20231116_232507_Gallery.jpg

don't think I've seen this one before . A Hearts supporter living the dream . Derek was one of my favourites as a young lad 

On 16/11/2023 at 12:31, assessor said:

Was just a few weeks before they bams were on their way to Paris 84 .

Hugget Hearts bus. Bevvy all the way..

Montgomery Brewster
On 16/11/2023 at 12:40, busbyfth said:

Hahahahahaha the first photo - Guy with grey hair in his late 40s ...grey suit....shirt and tie - in amongst all the nuts - just shows that it takes all types !

A wonderful day. Remember it like yesterday. Was there with big chef. Marvelous 

FTH

4 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

A wonderful day. Remember it like yesterday. Was there with big chef. Marvelous 

FTH

With your moniker Im surprised you didnt have a Prior engagement that day. 😉