Jump to content

25th August 1984 Frankie Says...


dannymack

Recommended Posts

Hibs 1 v 2 Hearts. 

 

At the time the result was insignificant for everyone out with both clubs as the trouble on the terraces was the main focal point for every reporter doing their match day reports. 

 

A very sizeable Hearts support in the Dunbar End that day but only 16,724 recorded as the official attendance. 

 

A very poisonous atmosphere at the Hearts end with the usual scuffles with the police and missiles raining down on Alan Rough as the 2nd half started with Hearts 1 down. 

Countless pitch invasions and countless arrests and injuries to deal with. 

 

Hearts snatched the winner in the very last minute but the Hearts support still marched up to Elm Row looking for Hibs fans then up to St.James Centre then along to Princes Street. 

Mindless violence and hooliganism, Hearts were a very handy firm back then and I still laugh when I hear so called veterans of the Hibs Casual scene that Hearts were no match for them. 

 

Anyway can you see yourself or are you one of the offenders? 

 

Screenshot_20231115_165900_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_165446_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_170319_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_171248_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_170604_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_170941_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_152333_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_155011_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_154725_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_154435_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_153538_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_153223_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_152508_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_152734_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_153010_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_175426_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231110_011441_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_195311_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_195943_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_195614_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_175748_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231109_014659_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_122454_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_122646_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_130429_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_124440_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_131159_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_125708_PhotoDirector.jpg

Jugy.jpg

918048823.jpg

IMG-20220413-WA0009.jpg

A policeman carries LIttle boy injured after crowd trouble during the Hibs v Hearts Edinburgh derby football match at Easter Road in August 1984. Final score 1-2 to Hearts..jpg

Friends help an injured fan after crowd trouble during the Hibs v Hearts Edinburgh derby football match at Easter Road in August 1984. Final score 1-2 to Hearts.jpg

Alex MacDonald (11) watches as Craig Levein heads the ball during an Edinburgh derby in August 1984.jpeg

My first Edinburgh derby_ A win for The Hearts, naturally.jpeg

2009-01-15_23-07-37_ghyuikol.jpg

Hibs v Hearts 1984 aug.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

been here before

Used to love those days with 1000 others on that big slope celebrating yet another horsing of those trampy *****.

 

Never all that keen on the cinder path up to the top of the terrace from the turnstyles pass the torrent of pish running down right enough. Could make a right mess of the old Sambas :lol:

 

Halcyon days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

millerjames398
1 hour ago, dannymack said:

Hibs 1 v 2 Hearts. 

 

At the time the result was insignificant for everyone out with both clubs as the trouble on the terraces was the main focal point for every reporter doing their match day reports. 

 

A very sizeable Hearts support in the Dunbar End that day but only 16,724 recorded as the official attendance. 

 

A very poisonous atmosphere at the Hearts end with the usual scuffles with the police and missiles raining down on Alan Rough as the 2nd half started with Hearts 1 down. 

Countless pitch invasions and countless arrests and injuries to deal with. 

 

Hearts snatched the winner in the very last minute but the Hearts support still marched up to Elm Row looking for Hibs fans then up to St.James Centre then along to Princes Street. 

Mindless violence and hooliganism, Hearts were a very handy firm back then and I still laugh when I hear so called veterans of the Hibs Casual scene that Hearts were no match for them. 

 

Anyway can you see yourself or are you one of the offenders? 

 

Screenshot_20231115_165900_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_165446_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_170319_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_171248_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_170604_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_170941_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_152333_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_155011_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_154725_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_154435_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_153538_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_153223_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_152508_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_152734_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_153010_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_175426_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231110_011441_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_195311_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_195943_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_195614_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_175748_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231109_014659_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_122454_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_122646_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_130429_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_124440_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_131159_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_125708_PhotoDirector.jpg

Jugy.jpg

918048823.jpg

IMG-20220413-WA0009.jpg

A policeman carries LIttle boy injured after crowd trouble during the Hibs v Hearts Edinburgh derby football match at Easter Road in August 1984. Final score 1-2 to Hearts..jpg

Friends help an injured fan after crowd trouble during the Hibs v Hearts Edinburgh derby football match at Easter Road in August 1984. Final score 1-2 to Hearts.jpg

Alex MacDonald (11) watches as Craig Levein heads the ball during an Edinburgh derby in August 1984.jpeg

My first Edinburgh derby_ A win for The Hearts, naturally.jpeg

2009-01-15_23-07-37_ghyuikol.jpg

Hibs v Hearts 1984 aug.jpg

Some heroes on that Dunbar end in those pictures...magnificent stuff😂🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

millerjames398
20 minutes ago, been here before said:

Used to love those days with 1000 others on that big slope celebrating yet another horsing of those trampy *****.

 

Never all that keen on the cinder path up to the top of the terrace from the turnstyles pass the torrent of pish running down right enough. Could make a right mess of the old Sambas :lol:

 

Halcyon days.

My old man said he would try and tip toe on folks shoulders walkin up that path, to avoid the very issue of the piss freely flowing😂🇱🇻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

millerjames398

In some of those pictures, kate adie the old war reporter, wouldn't have been out of place reporting on those scenes😂🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was in amongst all the mayhem when we scored. Was some day. Absolute carnage at the end.

 

The bus station was a lawless inferno of violence which descended into the usual territorial shite that Hearts fans were into back then. Once the Hibs fans had been quickly taken care of, the gangs of Hearts fans at each stance started on each other. Crazy day. 

Edited by the posh bit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dannymack said:

Hibs 1 v 2 Hearts. 

 

At the time the result was insignificant for everyone out with both clubs as the trouble on the terraces was the main focal point for every reporter doing their match day reports. 

 

A very sizeable Hearts support in the Dunbar End that day but only 16,724 recorded as the official attendance. 

 

A very poisonous atmosphere at the Hearts end with the usual scuffles with the police and missiles raining down on Alan Rough as the 2nd half started with Hearts 1 down. 

Countless pitch invasions and countless arrests and injuries to deal with. 

 

Hearts snatched the winner in the very last minute but the Hearts support still marched up to Elm Row looking for Hibs fans then up to St.James Centre then along to Princes Street. 

Mindless violence and hooliganism, Hearts were a very handy firm back then and I still laugh when I hear so called veterans of the Hibs Casual scene that Hearts were no match for them. 

 

Anyway can you see yourself or are you one of the offenders? 

 

Screenshot_20231115_165900_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_165446_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_170319_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_171248_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_170604_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_170941_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_152333_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_155011_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_154725_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_154435_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_153538_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_153223_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_152508_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_152734_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_153010_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_175426_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231110_011441_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_195311_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_195943_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_195614_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231108_175748_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231109_014659_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_122454_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_122646_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_130429_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_124440_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_131159_PhotoDirector.jpg

Screenshot_20231115_125708_PhotoDirector.jpg

Jugy.jpg

918048823.jpg

IMG-20220413-WA0009.jpg

A policeman carries LIttle boy injured after crowd trouble during the Hibs v Hearts Edinburgh derby football match at Easter Road in August 1984. Final score 1-2 to Hearts..jpg

Friends help an injured fan after crowd trouble during the Hibs v Hearts Edinburgh derby football match at Easter Road in August 1984. Final score 1-2 to Hearts.jpg

Alex MacDonald (11) watches as Craig Levein heads the ball during an Edinburgh derby in August 1984.jpeg

My first Edinburgh derby_ A win for The Hearts, naturally.jpeg

2009-01-15_23-07-37_ghyuikol.jpg

Hibs v Hearts 1984 aug.jpg

 

My first trip to ER. Loved it. 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The board of directors were up in arms and panic set in as in just under 4 weeks from this date the Gorgie Boys were heading to Paris ! 

 

Remember the warning letter (message to the fans) inserted into the next home match programme ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always remember Paul Kane scoring at the Dunbar End and giving the GIRFUY to us behind the goals. He then noticed a few fans climbing over the fence and skedaddled back to his own half rather quickly😁.

 

"Des" looked a little offside for his winner but that only made up a little for McLeod's and Stanton's at Tynecastle...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An epic, fantastic day.

 

They thought they had us but no: Craig Levein's equaliser then Derek's winner.

 

Pat Stanton was a laugh in the aftermath.

 

The hooligan Hearts support disrupted his smooth footballing machine, he claimed, and demanded that the game should be replayed.

 

Iirc, the "Frankie Says..." T's were on sale at Murieston Lane by the Wednesday night before a League Cup tie.

 

I lived in Leith at the time and, after the game vs. Ayr, headed back there with my girlfriend, at the time, Sharon.

 

Half way down Leith Walk our bus was suddenly swamped by Hibs fans. They'd lost 1-2 vs. Meadowbank AET. 

 

Two home derby defeats for them in the space of 4 days. 😁 

 

I don't think Stanton lasted much longer after that.

 

 

Edited by martoon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

First ever away derby.

 

Robbo and Craig Levein were only 19! 

 

1984082501.jpg

 

 

 

1984082502.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of many visits to the shithole.

 

Remember going back to the World's End with my old man and his mates and a boy had the match ball. They all tried to entice the boy to sell it, offered a right few quid between them so I could have it. I was their new lucky mascot given it had been a good few years since our last victory down there and was to be rewarded. He wasn't parting with it for any amount!

 

Often wonder if that ball still sits pride of place for somebody somewhere. I expect it does 🤔

 

Stayed in Carrick Knowe at the time. Big Derek O'Connor was my neighbour. An extra special day that was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

colinmorewasgash

My first derby with my mates 15 year old blonde highlights fred perry burgundy pringle and bleached jeans and white nikes on but wore scarf lol old man was working 3 jambos 3 hobos went down to fester never saw the hobos till next day haha, somethings never change what a game and the tshirts that were brought out. My old man sees Derek O Connor now and again at bowling club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of many top days on that terracing.

 

14 years old and left feeling invincible. 
 

Fairly sure on the walk out after the Albion Bar there was a crap load of missiles got thrown over from a nearby graveyard. Hearts fans were trying to find stuff to throw back and some enterprising chaps were trying to scale the wall to get into it.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recall getting told by my dad to remove the small Hearts pin badge (that the CSF often wore) from my top just in case I got mistake for one of our casuals 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pic with O'Conner celebrating his goal with Robbo behind and Jimmy Bone about to stride him must be in our top ten most iconic pics ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was in the Blue Lagoon after the next home game proudly showing off my Frankie T shirt to Sandy Jardine and a few of the players who were in for after match beers.  Annoyed I can't remember who was with Sandy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. I was there but I totally don't remember the pitch invasions etc. Bit disappointed with that tbh 😂

 

My abiding memory of that day is my dad making me leave early because he thought Hearts were playing crap and it was going to finish 1-1. We were half way up Easter Road when we heard a massive roar go up. I knew who had scored. Just Knew it. Sure enough when we got back to the bowling club and watched Grandstand, there it was in all it's glory. Hibs 1 Hearts 2. I was so pissed off with my dad for that. Will never forget that feeling. 

 

That's why I have never left a game early since. 

 

Spent some great days on the Dunbar End terrace though. Beating them down there is special. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Mighty Thor
11 hours ago, Boris said:

My first Derby game.

My first away derby

 

Absolute carnage in the Dunbar end after underage pints in the Traveller's Tryst

 

I've still got this as my screen saver

 

My first Edinburgh derby_ A win for The Hearts, naturally.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fxxx the SPFL
10 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Derek O'Connor Gorgie born and bred 

stayed two stairs along from me in Wheatfield Place crowd of us would climb the gate at Gerards Yard and sneak onto Tynie pitch and have a kick about in the dark winter months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wentworth jambo

One thing I remember of the day - Levein’s goal seemed to take minutes to go in as he stretched to reach for the ball coming over his shoulder- trickled in the corner - scenes were mental, or at least they seemed that way until O’Connor’s winner

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arry said:

Sure this “young” chap posts on this forum. 😂 

image.jpeg

sure i shared the same cell with him & 12 others that day...had 3 a-side tournament with plastic mug in same said cell

Edited by JAMBOBAR
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Arry said:

Sure this “young” chap posts on this forum. 😂 

image.jpeg

I do, although I’m no a young chap anymore. Had words wi big Jackie MacNamara that day. Think I upset him.😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Салатные палочки

Excellent pics. I only caught the tail end of the terracing days. The Fozzy on the Fence day was mental at the winner and pretty scary for a young lad but this game looks utter carnage. I'm sure there was probably worse over the years but that looks pretty hairy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

N Lincs Jambo

I was unfortunately abroad that day. Spent the whole day fretting about the game and missing it. Finally phoned my mother about 5pm UK time. First thing I asked, not how are you mum but what was the score? She got her own back though. She said "Oh Hibs won.... then about 30 seconds later, Hearts 2". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

gordon simpson
12 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

Staunchness is nothing new.

 

Beating Hibs is nothing new.

back in the day hibs had the upper hand ,that game changed everything and we have never looked back 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

This popped up on the Twitter earlier too, what a day that was at Tynie, 32 years ago, wow!

 

 

 

I was in the Shed that day. Henry's save from the header was world class.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...