EVRI - Stupidly or logic?

H2

This is a true story, names omitted to protect the innocent!

Person A we'll call Dave(Lives in Scotland). Person B We'll call Jane (lives in England). Person C we'll call Kris Staying with Jane). Evri Driver well call Evril.

Dave buys something for Jane online, and pays premium postage for next day delivery. 

Dave write the name and address correctly, but being a bit dyslexic write the last two letter of the postcode the wrong way round (UD instead of DU)

Dave get acknowledgment from supplier that parcel will be delivered to Jane by 5pm next day, Kris waits in, no delivery.

Dave gets e-mail from Evri, problem with delivery person not at this address. 

Dave can't phone or get response from Evri, but get's an online chat with a Robot.

Various exchanges for 5 days.

Day six the door bell rings, Kris answers.

It's Evril, "Sorry it's late"

Kris - "what happened"

Evril " The postcode is for the school up the road but no one there could take it"

Kris, "yeah, but the name and address is for this house here"

Evril, "I know but my phone said I had to take it back"

Kris " but you knew this was the right address, did you not know where this address is"

Evril "Oh yes, I've been here before but the phone wouldn't let me deliver it here"

Kris " So how could your phone physically stop you from delivering it to the address on the parcel"

Evril "No No, the phone won't let me because the post code is wrong"

Kris "so the phone stops you using common sense and delivering it the right address"

Evril "no, but I've got a boss, and I want to keep my job so I have to do what it says on my phone, it said I had to take it back to the depot, I don;t want to upset him"

Kris " So last week at the school you knew the address was here, you knew it wasn't the school, you were 300 yards away, and you would not deliver it to the correct address because your phone said so and you didn;t want to upset you boss by doing the sensible and logical thing?

Evril "yes"

Unbelievable!

No wonder these companies make it difficult to contact them.

These companies are getting worse, I've had parcels dumped in front of my door without them ringing the door bell, and they call it "Your safe place" No idea ho it's safe, anyone could nick it!

il Duce McTarkin

EVRI are ****ing hopeless, but it's good that Jane got her 16" dildo in the end.

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

Shooter McGavin

Evri, like many other companies, have replaced actual customer service with these digital chatbot systems that are completely useless, and just put you in an infinite loop of bulls***.

Have to admit, I begin worrying as soon as I see any of my parcels are with Evri. Never goes smoothly.

All of these delivery companies are as bad as each other.

These days it's better to get your stuff delivered to your work or to one of the drop off points in supermarkets/corner shops and get it from there on your way home.

Far too often they deliver to the wrong address, or leave your parcel out in the open where bawbags nick it, or just never deliver it at all.

There's even been documented cases where they steal the parcels and sell them as "mystery boxes" on ebay or car boot sales!!!

Edited by Cade

il Duce McTarkin
8 minutes ago, Black Swan said:

What end though?

At 16", one would hope that she could work it around into both ends at once.

44 minutes ago, Norm said:

If his employer says it has to go back, it's not the delivery drivers fault. He's probably just as frustrated as the punters. 

So if you boss tells you to do something stupid, you just do it, no questions asked, The computer says take a parcel on a 40 miles round trip rather than 300 yards. 

Imagine if the computer went blank, you'd sit and look at it waiting for the next instruction!

35 minutes ago, R9. said:

I have a delivery today between 330 and 530 around 12 I checked the tracker the driver had 70 more drops before my one he’s now sitting at 31 absolutely ridiculous number of parcels these drivers are lumped with. No wonder they get left, I can imagine them having to go back to depot when finished to check in the returned items could add time onto them finishing which I doubt they get paid extra for.

I actually find most them them OK, Evri are the worst, Yodel, depends on the individual doing the delivery, Royal Mail are good

Royal Mail just this week lost their 360-year parcel delivery monopoly contract with the Post Office.

Post Office will now also be using Evri/Yodel etc as well as Royal Mail.

Which will probably result in Royal Mail lowering their standards to meet the others.

Feck sake.

Edited by Cade

1 hour ago, R9. said:

I have a delivery today between 330 and 530 around 12 I checked the tracker the driver had 70 more drops before my one he’s now sitting at 31 absolutely ridiculous number of parcels these drivers are lumped with. No wonder they get left, I can imagine them having to go back to depot when finished to check in the returned items could add time onto them finishing which I doubt they get paid extra for.

They are paid per parcel so it suits them to have 100+. ****ing doing 60+ hrs a week driving like a maniac for 4-500pw after they rip you off for a van and insurance.

49 minutes ago, H2 said:

So if you boss tells you to do something stupid, you just do it, no questions asked, The computer says take a parcel on a 40 miles round trip rather than 300 yards. 

Imagine if the computer went blank, you'd sit and look at it waiting for the next instruction!

Nobody grows up wanting to be a delivery driver, vast majority of these drivers are working huge hours to just make ends meet, sorry but if their boss/system says that if there is an error on the address it needs to return to the depot then that's exactly what they will do, it'd all be nice and lovely if he just dropped it off for you but no way is the driver going to risk his job for you.

FWIW our Evri guy Scott is top notch, knows everyone in the street and who you are happy for stuff to be left with if you are out

wouldn't be surprised if there's a certain clause in the contract whereby Evri get an extra if there's a certain percentage mis-addressed. They seem like a ***** company!

I've had an issue with DPD where they delivered it to the wrong house, I don't know which one except it has a white door and the house owner has made no attempt to give it back to me. I've been in touch with them as they called back 3 days later and I had to send pictures of my dark grey front door.

Needless to say DPD have sided with their driver who is adamant that he delivered it to the right door and they say that the case is closed from their point of view. I got in touch with Amazon customer services and they were brilliant, 5 minutes later they organised a replacement, which did arrive, and 3 months free Prime as an apology.

DPD are a nightmare around here, I had a machine part waiting to be delivered for over a week, when I finally got to speak to someone there they told me that there was no house at the address given despite me living at that address for twelve years and despite the fact that DPD had delivered to that address before 🤷🤦

Lost 2 packs from beer 52 which were to be delivered by Hermes/Evri. Would get to the final delivery station then nothing. Found one of the boxes, empty unsurprisingly, in the bin at the end of the road. Was told to claim it back from beer 52. Stopped using beer 52 as a result, not their fault 

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Australis said:

Hard to believe any businesses use Evri.

When you order something and find out its been given to Evri to deliver, your heart sinks.

I recently made a sale on eBay and specified that if the buyer wanted me not to use Evri, to let me know. 

About a year ago, I'd sold something worth about £250, printed the label off eBay (so not down to my misspelling) and it 'disappeared' with all sorts of conflicting claims from Evri about it being delivered. 

I also 'lost' a pair of £175 football boots bought from Sports Direct. The Evri guy who'd stolen them had photographed them on the ground at a place which was most definitely not the delivery address. A mate who knows someone working with them told me that shoe-box shaped parcels from Sports Direct often go missing as there's an easy sale to be made popping 'new and unused' boots on eBay. 

2 hours ago, H2 said:

If the alternative is doing the intelligent thing and getting written up at work, then yeah, I'm doing the stupid thing my boss tells me to do. 

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Royal Mail just this week lost their 360-year parcel delivery monopoly contract with the Post Office.

Which will probably result in Royal Mail lowering their standards to meet the others.

Feck sake.

Simply a political move by post office in response to Royal Mail offering free collections from people’s houses. 

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Feck sake.

Royal Mail are just as bad.

I had a card in my letter box saying they couldn't deliver as I wasn't in - which was complete BS because I was home all day that day and I have two dogs who freak out when the postman comes.

I Arrange for delivery again and yet again I get a card saying I wasn't  at home ( I stayed home all day) so now it's at a Mail depot  10 miles away (they shut the local office years) and when I get there I can't even park because the PO hasn't bothered to allow parking on their industrial estate so folk have a long walk because the immediate roads are all double yellow lines.  I now don't order anything from any supplier that uses them, they are hopeless. 

As frustrating as it is I do have sympathy with the delivery guy (in fact often with lots of people mocked as ‘jobsworths’).  So many people are terrified of losing their jobs and with these service-sector / low paid / zero-hours jobs being so precarious they are in a really unenviable position.

Maybe the postcode had to match up with the location of the photo that they take (don’t phones use Google maps to ‘stamp’ your photos?)  Something like that anyway.

10 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Royal Mail are just as bad.

I had a card in my letter box saying they couldn't deliver as I wasn't in - which was complete BS because I was home all day that day and I have two dogs who freak out when the postman comes.

I Arrange for delivery again and yet again I get a card saying I wasn't  at home ( I stayed home all day) so now it's at a Mail depot  10 miles away (they shut the local office years) and when I get there I can't even park because the PO hasn't bothered to allow parking on their industrial estate so folk have a long walk because the immediate roads are all double yellow lines.  I now don't order anything from any supplier that uses them, they are hopeless. 

Aye I've caught them at that more than once.

One time they delivered three separate "sorry you were out" cards in a single open envelope, clearly having been written before they even began the round, with absolutely no intent of even attempting to deliver the parcels.
I did not want a click & collect service.

I paid for delivery.

Then they try to charge you to re-arrange the delivery!

:getout:

Evri are awful. My dpd driver at my old house was absolutely brilliant though. It depends who you've got I guess.

Struggle to see the seethe on this one though, he'll be routed by the postcode. Want to increase the chances of stuff turning up? Put the right details.

We've got customers like that.

"Not paying, you didn't deliver it".

"We did, here's the photo"

"That's the wrong compound"

"Here's the address you gave us"

"Oh yeh, our mistake"

Edited by Taffin

2 hours ago, inspector said:

Lost 2 packs from beer 52 which were to be delivered by Hermes/Evri. Would get to the final delivery station then nothing. Found one of the boxes, empty unsurprisingly, in the bin at the end of the road. Was told to claim it back from beer 52. Stopped using beer 52 as a result, not their fault 

I signed up for beer52 last month. Immediately cancelled when I saw they used Evri...it's just not worth the hassle.

25 minutes ago, Cade said:

Aye I've caught them at that more than once.

One time they delivered three separate "sorry you were out" cards in a single open envelope, clearly having been written before they even began the round, with absolutely no intent of even attempting to deliver the parcels.
I did not want a click & collect service.

I paid for delivery.

Then they try to charge you to re-arrange the delivery!

:getout:

I've been standing at the front door, putting my shoes on, only to see a "You weren't in" slip come through the letterbox. No knock, no bell, nothing. Guy looked awfy sheepish when I opened the door. 

40 minutes ago, Norm said:

I've been standing at the front door, putting my shoes on, only to see a "You weren't in" slip come through the letterbox. No knock, no bell, nothing. Guy looked awfy sheepish when I opened the door. 

:lol: similar, out the door and caught him enetring a property three doors down.

Edited by ArcticJambo

5 hours ago, Ribble said:

Nobody grows up wanting to be a delivery driver, vast majority of these drivers are working huge hours to just make ends meet, sorry but if their boss/system says that if there is an error on the address it needs to return to the depot then that's exactly what they will do, it'd all be nice and lovely if he just dropped it off for you but no way is the driver going to risk his job for you.

FWIW our Evri guy Scott is top notch, knows everyone in the street and who you are happy for stuff to be left with if you are out

Do you think your guy Scott would give you the parcel if the post code had something out with it, or would he take it back?

6 hours ago, H2 said:

To be fair there's not many folk delivering for Evri while they are waiting for NASA to process the paperwork for their new job there.

Thunder and Lightning

It's likely that the system won't allow it to be delivered. The gps location of the school isn't close enough to you. 

Common sense could say mark as delivered at the school and pop it down to you, but if anything goes wrong they would likely lose their job. 

Your parcel isn't that important to them to risk that I'd guess. 

I've seen stuff in the news that some couriers are supposed to be starting to use the what3words system to help get deliveries to the correct location. Is that a solution, or is it just creating new problems?

14 hours ago, Norm said:

I've had the same. Said to the postie you can just give me the parcel as I'm here, to which he sheepishly answered "I don't have it with me". Well, how can you say I'm not in for a parcel to be delivered if you don't even have it.

Chancers. 

2 hours ago, JKB Member C said:

I've seen stuff in the news that some couriers are supposed to be starting to use the what3words system to help get deliveries to the correct location. Is that a solution, or is it just creating new problems?

It's only as good as the information you give them. Give them the wrong 3 words and you'll not get it.

Give them the right ones and it should take them right to your front door.

I've just been involved in a project implementing w3w integration for B2B deliveries. It's a great solution, potentially ruined by human error 😂 

At least with w3w if you get it wrong (even by a letter) the courier will know as the location is likely another continent.

Edited by Taffin

17 hours ago, Taffin said:

I signed up for beer52 last month. Immediately cancelled when I saw they used Evri...it's just not worth the hassle.

So true. Beer52 contacted me soon after the second box went missing to enquire whether I wanted to restart my subscription. Would still use Evri as their couriers. Too much hassle. I declined and went with Flavourly. At least it gets delivered 

Instructions to evri, please leave at back door storage box. Left front door all day in pishing rain. Evri worst delivery firm in my area by a country mile. 

Big problem in banks these days - the humans are managed by the IT. So rather than human intervention, you get utter idiocy...

Having said that, I related a story the other day on the passport thread where the IT system was pretty smooth but the human intervening to confirm details already entered by computer were utterly nonsensical...

Last xmas was the worst I've ever seen it.

Parcels just randomly delivered to anywhere, just to get them off the van and another few quid in the bank.

The zero hours delivery charlatans were often just offloading their entire van load into whichever common stair they could gain access to, with dozens of parcels piled up in one stair.

Eventually the local community centre set up a lost/found parcel scheme with people bringing in wrongly delivered mail and/or looking for their own missing items there at the same time.

Royal Mail effectively just gave up entirely.  My local depot was just letting people coming looking for their parcels just rummage through the (many) cages of undelivered mail to find their missing parcels themselves.

Every single community whatsapp/facebook groups was just a flood of missing mail messages.

An absolute feckin mess.

And I'm expecting much the same this year.