• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

• Bob Loblaw

• briever

Top Posters In This Topic

So Tagawa and Devlin two of the players that Jamie Borthwick was talking about then ? Naismith is on record as saying that he picks the team delending on the opponent . This can clearly lead to players playing well and possibly man of the match in one game and then being benched the next week . Not a great way to foster squad harmony but I suppose we just have to back them and hope they know what they are doing 

My guess was that he didn't start against rangers because he's usually given a yellow card and the plan was to keep 11 players on the park? I think vs Hibs it was in the first few minutes? 

Ref bias etc etc.

Against teams where you're unlikely to have much of the ball like Rangers I'd have Cammy in as he doesn't stop and might have disrupted their play a bit. 

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So Tagawa and Devlin two of the players that Jamie Borthwick was talking about then ? Naismith is on record as saying that he picks the team delending on the opponent . This can clearly lead to players playing well and possibly man of the match in one game and then being benched the next week . Not a great way to foster squad harmony but I suppose we just have to back them and hope they know what they are doing 

No sure either will be who he's on about tbh. Tagawa has spoken directly to Naismith and had been injured. Devlin doesn't sound like he's moaning at all there, more determined to get back in as he feels he's playing well.

Wouldn't imagine either would be speaking to journalists behind anyone's back.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

This will be part of the reason for our inconstancy. Robbie got slated for tweaking the team depending on opponents.

I still think that pre-season was such a shambles that it has still left Naismith not knowing his best team. He doesn’t seem to even know his preferred formation - other than it gets more defensive as time goes on.

I think he's right to be disappointed not to have got more game time recently, given that he's been one of our best players.

It's harsh on him that now Beni is back, he's been dropped to the bench or asked to play out of position, further forward or on the right wing.  He looks a bit lost.

I would have played both of them against Rangers but he ended up missing out because the defence is a mess with no right back and we're playing a back 3/5 to try to fix that.

The game he played against Livi he got subbed off as we didn't need two defensive mids which should have been obvious to the coaching team before the game.

Maybe if he could go a game without getting a stupid early yellow and being a flight risk for the remainder of the game he would get more game time.

Just now, gnasher75 said:

I think he's right to be disappointed not to have got more game time recently, given that he's been one of our best players.

It's harsh on him that now Beni is back, he's been dropped to the bench or asked to play out of position, further forward or on the right wing.  He looks a bit lost.

I would have played both of them against Rangers but he ended up missing out because the defence is a mess with no right back and we're playing a back 3/5 to try to fix that.

The game he played against Livi he got subbed off as we didn't need two defensive mids which should have been obvious to the coaching team before the game.

It was mentioned on SATF podcast that Naisy was going mental at him during the first half against Livi. Then subbed him at halftime.

1 minute ago, Gorgierools said:

It was mentioned on SATF podcast that Naisy was going mental at him during the first half against Livi. Then subbed him at halftime.

I wasn't unhappy with the substitution as there were other attacking players better suited to the position Devlin was being asked to play given that Livi were parking the bus.

I just think it is a bit unfair expecting Cammy to play in a position that doesn't suit him.  And it feels a bit harsh that Beni is getting to play in the position Cammy has been playing all season.  

My preference is to play a 4 2 3 1 with both of them playing.  But that requires Atkinson or Offiah to be fit to play right back.

I really like him, yea he picks up the odd yellow but who gives a shit?  How many reds has he had for us in about 100 games?

If everyone at the club showed his level of commitment we would be in a better place. 

I really don't think we can look past the players - last 2 cup games against Rangers have both been utterly gutless, and with different managers...

I think he has a right to feel aggrieved, he has improved this season both on and off the ball and covers more ground than any other player in a maroon jersey every time he plays. Yes he picks up bookings but thats what you get with his high energy combative style(he wouldnt be the same player without that bite and desire to win the ball back).

Also with Naisy apparently wanting to play at a higher tempo and wanting to get the ball back quicker to keep us on the front foot then Cammy should be the 1st name on the team sheet every week for me.

Players have to man up. We now have beni, hoff, cammy, and grant fighting for spots. You can have another conversation about their standard but Naismith has to try different combinations. 

4 minutes ago, Shanks said:

I really like him, yea he picks up the odd yellow but who gives a shit?  How many reds has he had for us in about 100 games?

If everyone at the club showed his level of commitment we would be in a better place. 

Totally agree , and a very underrated player by many too

2 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Players have to man up. We now have beni, hoff, cammy, and grant fighting for spots. You can have another conversation about their standard but Naismith has to try different combinations. 

Not been working too well though eh 

kingantti1874
38 minutes ago, Sooks said:

is Tagawa moaning. He’s been out injured for months and isn’t fit? 

He should stop lunging into tackles so much, then he gives himself a small chance of not being booked.

Don't mind players speaking about not getting enough game time tbh. Knuckle down and graft.

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

I think he has a right to feel aggrieved, he has improved this season both on and off the ball and covers more ground than any other player in a maroon jersey every time he plays. Yes he picks up bookings but thats what you get with his high energy combative style(he wouldnt be the same player without that bite and desire to win the ball back).

Also with Naisy apparently wanting to play at a higher tempo and wanting to get the ball back quicker to keep us on the front foot then Cammy should be the 1st name on the team sheet every week for me.

I love cammy and would start him every week. However the bits in bold are the key to why he is not playing so much. If he picks up an early booking which is quite likely against the better team, then he is less effective at winning the ball back as he cannot fully commit to his tackles. It weakens our midfiueld and takes away his biggest asset.

Hopefullly he works harder on that - Beni does the tackling in a way that picks up less bookings so maybe work more with him on technique/ not going to ground, feet up so much

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

is Tagawa moaning. He’s been out injured for months and isn’t fit? 

No probably not moaning tbf . Frustrated certainly seems to be accurate . If it was neither of these two however , then we have frustrated players as well as at least one moaning to joirnos . Would be nice to get back to a place where we are winning games and have a happy squad though 

11 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

I wasn't unhappy with the substitution as there were other attacking players better suited to the position Devlin was being asked to play given that Livi were parking the bus.

I just think it is a bit unfair expecting Cammy to play in a position that doesn't suit him.  And it feels a bit harsh that Beni is getting to play in the position Cammy has been playing all season.  

My preference is to play a 4 2 3 1 with both of them playing.  But that requires Atkinson or Offiah to be fit to play right back.

I thought the sub was both tactical (we needed someone more attacking minded) and because he had been booked already.

Devlin’s game is about snapping at players’ heels, the niggle and the constant nuisance. No, he hasn’t been sent off often, but once he gets a yellow he is visibly less effective at doing what he does (and is duly targeted by referees in certain games at least)

I'm not in the Devlin fan boy club but he's got a great attitude and works his socks off for us. We were also undoubtedly a better team when he was in the starting 11 imo (though pre-injury Pete and Beni would have been my preferred two back in the day)

Diadora Van Basten

Our team selection and formation are quite random. I watch every game and can easily be four players out when picking our starting line up from the actual line up. IMO Devlin should be first name on the team sheet for central midfield and if he does pick up a booking then sub him around 70 mins. 

Why have the management team not chatted with him and given him the reasons he’s not playing?

He could just be playing ‘daft laddie’ to the newspapers but it seems he isn’t sure why he hasn’t been picked. 

I am probably looking too much into this but I don’t like reading stories like this and gives an insight into the management style. 

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

When you have players who are so obviously deficient in one area of their game as Devlin (distribution) then it makes sense to pick him when the opposition suits his strengths and bench him when the opposition are likely to exploit his weaknesses...

Only problem we have for Rangers games is that one option to put in there is about as RRM as they get and another is owned by them and cannot play them!

Edited by Spellczech

HeartsandonlyHearts
2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Maybe if he could go a game without getting a stupid early yellow and being a flight risk for the remainder of the game he would get more game time.

**** off.

Unless he has been having absolute stinker Devlin should be in the side all the time.The tempo of games is just far quicker with him in the side he is the only player we have who really harasses and presses teams as well.

Edited by vegas-voss

2 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

I thought the sub was both tactical (we needed someone more attacking minded) and because he had been booked already.

Devlin’s game is about snapping at players’ heels, the niggle and the constant nuisance. No, he hasn’t been sent off often, but once he gets a yellow he is visibly less effective at doing what he does (and is duly targeted by referees in certain games at least)

He definitely is targeted and is a marked man. How many yellows are his very first tackles and are marginal/unjust yellows.  

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Let’s never play him again then. He’s a walking yellow card. 🙄

Hasn’t taken long across a few posts for this to surface.  It’s just nonsense 

The lad normally rises on the big occasion and Naismith decided to leave him out from the start both times v the Huns.  More and more I get put off by whoever manages Hearts with bemusing decisions. 

13 minutes ago, droid said:

Feel sorry for Devlin, we have a manager who doesnt have a clue what his best first team is.

We have a Manager (or coaching trio) who haven't a clue, full-stop.

Can't fault his determination but he's not that good. He's probably best as a sub so we can utilise his energy and excitement as the game progresses.

HeartsandonlyHearts
4 hours ago, Taffin said:

I'm not in the Devlin fan boy club but he's got a great attitude and works his socks off for us. We were also undoubtedly a better team when he was in the starting 11 imo (though pre-injury Pete and Beni would have been my preferred two back in the day)

This post confused me. I’m not going to lie.

His passing being terrible isn't half overegged on here. Could it be better? Yes, of course. But it's already been proven that his use of the ball compares very favourably with other ball winning midfielders in the league.

We are a better team with him in it IMO.

One of the many mediocre players in the squad. Not one of them have any cause for being frustrated at game time as quite simply not one of them ever do enough, regularly enough, to make their selection a no brainer. 

2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Yep. 

Whilst Devlin can occasionally turn in a performance like the Rosenburg game, the fact that all he brings to a side is hard work and falling over when tackled shouldn't be enough to make him a starter, never mind a captain.

alicante jambo
1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

One of the many mediocre players in the squad. Not one of them have any cause for being frustrated at game time as quite simply not one of them ever do enough, regularly enough, to make their selection a no brainer. 

Bang on. 

Just now, Jim_Duncan said:

I’d disagree. He never hides in games, can pass, tackle and organise. I think he’d thrive on it, as opposed to Shankland who seems to have regressed since taking the armband. Just keep him away from shooting unless it’s Norwegians we’re playing. 

I really couldn't get past you suggesting he could pass - wondering whether you actually watch our games.

5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I like Cammy. First name on the team sheet for me.

This. 

if he’s being rested to prevent burn out like in previous seasons, or because the Ref’s might target him against the Zombies, fine. If not, he’s in the XI. 

2 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

His passing isn’t his best attribute, but it’s not as bad as some of the hyperbole on here suggests. 

And yes, sadly too many of them. 

You felt it was an actual positive attribute of his - he couldn't pass the parcel on a plane.

5 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

His passing isn’t his best attribute, but it’s not as bad as some of the hyperbole on here suggests. 

And yes, sadly too many of them. 

Some people’s interpretation of pass varies.  The first bad one and he’s labelled incapable.  That’s after his first 3 or 4 that made their destination. 

Did anyone watch the Hibs game where he swung a couple of lovely cross field balls over the top right on the money? And in other games sporadically.

Aye, he’s not making killer passes.  Aye, he misplaces some but he plays in the most precarious area, tightest area of the park.  Never hides though. 

It amazes me in times of need and character that many Hearts fans can’t see the woods for the trees and realise we desperately need to go back to basics and have more players with the character of Devlin. Not show ponies.

Edited by Debut 4

3 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

When he was clicking with Beni in 21/22, some of their intricate play in the middle was a joy to watch. He’s been hamstrung by having a bunch of statues near him since Beni’s injury. 

You know Devlin is the donkey dont you?  He's the water carrying foil to an actual talent in midfield?

2 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Joint second with the most assists last season. Can't pass though.

Amazing the level of cluelessness in our support. 

coatbridgejambo

Gives 💯  every time he plays 

Bit over zealous at times but gets a bad rap also from our pish refs