Hearts 💕 Greats that merit a statue on foundation plaza?

Howdy Doody Jambo

rudi must stay
13 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

As a slightly different take, I'd go for either first captain Thomas Purdie or Barney Battles Jr.

Barney Battles is a fascinating part of our history. He scored more goals than he made appearance. 

Go for it 1308
20 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Dave Mackay 

The Terrible Trio

Rudi Skacel

John Cumming

Tommy Walker

Steven Pressley (controversial for some)

Marius Zaliukas

Jim Cruickshank 

Drew Busby 

take your pick

The last 2 didn’t win anything significant, but gave everything when the going was tough.

The others are true legends.

Ffs no Robbo?????

We need to celebrate our greatest players more. 

multiple statues, flags with legends, video screens showing great players from the past. 

11 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Donald Ford should also be worth a shout. 

Fantastic player and helped save Hearts in the 80s. 

Great shout, Donald was our top scorer for years, sometimes with less than 10 goals but always gave everything for the jersey. He hit 30 goals in ‘74 which got him in the World Cup squad although he never played. If Willie Ormond had put him on against Zaire in the first game he might have got the goals Scotland needed to get through the group. A true Hearts legend.

This isn't about statues but I do miss the legends banners that we used to have in the stadium. I'd love to see something like that back again, covering the maroon painted wooden panels in the corners or maybe even on the lampposts around the plaza, similar to what Chelsea do or used to do. 

22 hours ago, RedStarRiot said:

I can’t believe some folk had lists without Robbo. 

Baffling, tops the list for me.

Fozzie on the fence for me prob goes down as one of the most iconic images in a Hearts jersey, maybe alongside Rudi standing on the table with the cup at Hampden, be cool to see either of the immortalized. Perhaps in big murals in our new stand, one day .

On 08/11/2023 at 14:49, avhudtheteeshirt said:

John Cummings for me, even when he hung up his boots and was our trainer, coming on to attend to an injured player, he was probably the fastest on the park running on with a small bag with the magic sponge and water!

Today its a physio and a holdall big enough for a weeks holiday??? 

An impossible task, so if we can't have them all then it maybe has to be the terrible trio because it would include Willie Bauld, If it's a compromise and symbolic then John Cummings, or Dave Mackay, but then that would leave out Robbo, though it has to be someone who's dead of course. Nope, can't make my mind up... Dave Mackay, eh John Cumming, naw,  maybe just Willie Bauld, and leave a space for Robbo beside him.

On 08/11/2023 at 10:52, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Donald Ford should also be worth a shout. 

Fantastic player and helped save Hearts in the 80s. 

This

Has to be Dave Mackay. He was one of us, he lived the dream. You could see how much it meant to him when the Hearts supporters sang his name at White Hart Lane. The absolute epitome of the PHM.

On 08/11/2023 at 00:38, Luckies1874 said:

John Robertson is the iconic Hearts player of the last 50 years. Only Rudi Skacel gets close to him. Plenty other great names on your list though 👍

I would say Craig Gordon surpasses him but GK less glamorous.

Modern day has to be Robbo though. 

Tam Purdie

Bobby Walker 

1914/15 team

Barney Battles

Alec Massie

Jack Harkness

Andy Anderson

Tommy Walker

Bobby Kirk

Tam McKenzie

Alfie Conn

Willie Bauld

Jimmy Wardaugh

Ian Crawford

Gordon Marshall 

John Cumming

Dave Mackay 

Alex Young

Jimmy Murray

Willie Hamilton

Jim Cruickshank

Donald Ford

Alan Anderson

Drew Busby

Rab Prentice

Alex McDonald

John Robertson

Gary MacKay

John Colquhoun 

Dave McPherson 

Craig Levein

Colin Cameron

Stephane Adam

Gilles Rousset

Steve Fulton

Neil McCann

Rudi Skacel

Paul Hartley

Suso Santana 

Ian Black (jr)

Andy Driver

Andy Webster

Gary Locke

Marius Zaliukas 

Paulo Sergio

Wallace Mercer

Ann Budge

The plaza would be a bit crowded but a mural, perhaps projection, on the gable end of the McLoed St. tenements would be awesome.

Feck it, I'm putting John Millar in there too. He deserves it as Hearts' most underrated great and a personal favourite.

scott herbertson
On 08/11/2023 at 07:58, BigAlim said:

Make a statue of each individual FOH contributor. Once the plaza is full we could use them to fill in the corners

Perhaps a statue of each of us kept in store until they relay the pitch then we could all be buried under Tynecastle

It's an old idea....but a good one

There Are 8,000 Known Terracotta Warriors. But Archaeologists in China Just  Found More Than 200 Others

scott herbertson

On a more serious note its hard to choose. One point i would make is that it is best to never make statues of living people, as their reputation is mnot finished forming yet.  

In terms of fame as a player when playing for Hearts it would be Bobby Walker I think

Contribution to the club then maybe Tommy Walker

I agree that John Cumming (with headband and sponge!) is an iconic figure who everyone (including dave mackay) respected and loved. He would be my choice . Mackay himself would also be smeone who the broader public and football fans visiting would recognise.

23 hours ago, ScottieMac17 said:

This isn't about statues but I do miss the legends banners that we used to have in the stadium. I'd love to see something like that back again, covering the maroon painted wooden panels in the corners or maybe even on the lampposts around the plaza, similar to what Chelsea do or used to do. 

Agreed, the inside walls of the stands could feature club legends as a start, and a good thing to implement for the 150th. 

Edited by Chuck Berry

Colonel Kurtz
On 08/11/2023 at 22:40, Dsjambo said:

Great shout, Donald was our top scorer for years, sometimes with less than 10 goals but always gave everything for the jersey. He hit 30 goals in ‘74 which got him in the World Cup squad although he never played. If Willie Ormond had put him on against Zaire in the first game he might have got the goals Scotland needed to get through the group. A true Hearts legend.

Correct I was in Dortmund that day law was 38 should have been Donald starting.DF scored 5 for Amateurs Scotland on one match and a century for Scotland at cricket

On 08/11/2023 at 11:53, RedStarRiot said:

I can’t believe some folk had lists without Robbo. 

Thought the same, He has to be top of any list of Hearts Legends. 

anyone any idea how much a statue would cost?