Independent Driving Instructors

New Town Loafer

New Town Loafer

Morning all, hope the weekend cobwebs are dispersing.

In a bit of an annoying situation. Had a very decent independent driving instructor who has now been offered a job in an completely different sector, meaning I’m now looking for a new instructor.

Unfortunately, being independent, he doesn’t actually have any contacts to push me towards but has advised me not to proceed with any large driving schools as the experience isn’t as rewarding. 

Given the above advice I’d ideally like to go forward with an independent instructor and was wondering if anyone had any contacts for central/west Edinburgh.

Cheers! 

highlandjambo3

Make sure the instructor is fully qualified as you can begin to teach pupils before you have finished your instructor training.  Fully qualified instructors will display a green octagonal badge on the windscreen, a trainee will display a red triangle badge on the windscreen.

FYI, BSM are wash with trainee instructors as it’s good income for them, the AA only use fully qualified instructors.

My advice….pick any independent instructor, ask for their grade, grade 4 being the lowest and grade 6 the highest.  Grade 1, 2 & 3 are all fails on the final exam (your teaching ability) the reason you get graded for a fail is so you can receive feedback on the fail and, you know how close/far you were from passing.

45 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Morning all, hope the weekend cobwebs are dispersing.

In a bit of an annoying situation. Had a very decent independent driving instructor who has now been offered a job in an completely different sector, meaning I’m now looking for a new instructor.

Unfortunately, being independent, he doesn’t actually have any contacts to push me towards but has advised me not to proceed with any large driving schools as the experience isn’t as rewarding. 

Given the above advice I’d ideally like to go forward with an independent instructor and was wondering if anyone had any contacts for central/west Edinburgh.

Cheers! 

"the experience isn't as rewarding"

He would say that, but it sounds a lot like bollocks to me. There's only one reward and then the lessons don't matter any more. I went with an independent guy, 4 years ago, and I couldn't actually tell you his name without checking.

If you want my advice, find someone that'll give you 5 hours a day for 5 days with a test booked at the end, worked an absolute treat for me.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

"the experience isn't as rewarding"

He would say that, but it sounds a lot like bollocks to me. There's only one reward and then the lessons don't matter any more. I went with an independent guy, 4 years ago, and I couldn't actually tell you his name without checking.

If you want my advice, find someone that'll give you 5 hours a day for 5 days with a test booked at the end, worked an absolute treat for me.

That’s not always the case.  We find driving a natural function because we have years of experience, a learner driver doesn’t have this yet…..in my experience learners tend to loose concentration after 2-3 hours and, intensive courses often end in learner burn out……..the most intensive driving courses I ever did was 2hrs per day every other day……..of course the pupil can often “top up” learning experience with friends & family

20 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

That’s not always the case.  We find driving a natural function because we have years of experience, a learner driver doesn’t have this yet…..in my experience learners tend to loose concentration after 2-3 hours and, intensive courses often end in learner burn out……..the most intensive driving courses I ever did was 2hrs per day every other day……..of course the pupil can often “top up” learning experience with friends & family

Fair enough, I can only talk from my experience. It wasn't 5 hours at once though, it was over the day, with breaks.