Csaba getting riped by Uganda press (kind of)

Hearts of Vladland

Hearts of Vladland

http://www.observer.ug/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=482:david-lumu&catid=44:sports&Itemid=80

Csaba: Good riddance

Even before former Cranes coach Csaba Laszlo settles into his new job as manager at Scottish side Hearts, Ugandans are split assessing his impact on Ugandan football.

At the moment, several questions are being asked like: was Csaba a worthy investment? Is Uganda really going to miss him? And most importantly, can The Cranes surge ahead seamlessly at this tricky phase?

Looking back, Csaba was not even the first choice for the job, (it was Tomislav Sivic) and searching for Csaba's positives is like squeezing blood out of the stone. Here's why:

1. No foundation

No coach in recent memory has arrived with such high expectations as Csaba. But unlike the two Cranes European coaches before him, Burkhard Pape and Westhorff Otto, Csaba left Uganda without a trace of any meaningful legacy. Uganda failed to qualify for the Nations Cup, he failed to build or advise on football structures and even failed to hold a single coaching clinic (what would he have taught anyway?). As the head coach, he also failed to oversee the creation of under-age teams to feed the senior side.

2. Failed to win an away match

This was another jinx Csaba came to break but instead his two-year reign extended the longest spell for Uganda without an away victory to seven years. A loss in Abeokuta to Nigeria was understandable but draws in Lesotho and Niger and the Benin humiliation were inexcusable.

3. Hot-headed vulgar

One would have expected the self-confessed chess player to handle a team with utmost delicateness; instead, it seems, Csaba would have carved out a great career in kick-boxing and perhaps would have been a serious contender for the World Vulgar Championships title (if it existed). By the time he left, he could have broken more tables, chairs, cups and tea flasks than the number of times he watched Super League matches. His fight with Ronald Muganga punctuated with F-lettered words still baffles many.

4. Shapeless Cranes

Grooming a long-term Cranes team was one of the main assignments of Csaba. On the contrary, he used the shortcut and went for today's win at the expense of tomorrow's success and heavily relied on a bunch of ageing professionals for results.

5. Bragging liar

Reading Csaba's Wikipedia biography as well as his comments about African football, leaves a stinging feeling in many Ugandans' hearts. As if claiming to have lowered Uganda's ranking from 167 to 97 wasn't bad enough, he lied to the world that Ugandans had dubbed him 'The Miracle Man.'

Truth is he found Uganda ranked 97 in the world and 23rd in Africa. By the time he left, Uganda was still 97th in the world whereas it had dipped to 26th in Africa. (fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking)

6. Super League enemy #1

It's shocking but party animals were more associated with Csaba than football enthusiasts. Csaba was more frequent at cocktails and music concerts than Super League matches where he was supposed to identify emerging talent. He didn't even mind when the technical committee summoned players for him. Little wonder he started Uganda's must-win match against Tanzania in May with seven natural defenders.

7. Nothing to show for

It's hard to imagine that Csaba reigned over one of Uganda's longest silverware drought periods. Two CECAFA campaigns ended in agony, with only a bronze at the 2007 CECAFA tournament to show for. Defeats in the semis to Sudan (2006) and Rwanda (2007) don't bode well for the Hungarian-German.

Much-maligned and poorly facilitated Mohammed Abbas (Csaba's predecessor) managed a runners-up silver in 2005 - the same year The Cranes, made up of mainly locally-based players, upset World Cup-bound Ecuador in an LG Four-nation tournament held in Egypt. With the feat The Cranes also won $32,000, to date Mulindwa's biggest achievement as FUFA president.

8. Csaba's buddies knew him better

I will borrow quotes from some of his closest associates;

Rogers Mulindwa: "We don't understand what this man is doing since he came," said the FUFA spokesman after Uganda had been ejected by Tanzania in the Africa Nations Championships.

Asumani Lubowa: "Don't blame us for selecting the team for him because he doesn't know the players," replied the FUFA Head of the technical committee to criticism over his committee's peddling in team affairs.

Lothar Matthaus: ""Are you joking with me? … I can't believe this has happened. He is an assistant manager and would be good in that role, but not as manager. I don't think he has the personality to be a No.1, but I also think he doesn't have the experience. There are many things he doesn't have for this kind of job. Time will tell if Hearts have made the wrong choice. I am very surprised," said the former Hungarian national team boss upon learning of Csaba's appointment at Hearts.

9. Uganda was always a stepping stone

Isn't it ironic that Csaba celebrated every big Cranes win with an application for a better paying job? First, he secretly applied for the vacant Cameroon job after beating Nigeria 2-1 in Kampala and then sent his CV South African sides Mamelodi Sundowns as well as Orlando Pirates after narrowly missing out on qualification. That he went for Hearts after beating Angola isn't surprising.

10. He said it!

His statements say it all;

"There is nothing worth watching in the Super League," he said when asked why he gave local matches rejection's leprous kiss.

"I'm not here to transform Ugandan football but to coach the team to success," he responded when pressed to hold coaching clinics.

"I hope Uganda qualifies but if we fail, it won't be my fault," he answered after beating Niger 3-1 in the last match of qualification for the 2008 Nations Cup.

Csaba’s Numbers

730 - The days he spent as Cranes coach

40 - Seconds he took to flee into the Namboole stadium locker room to avoid angry journalists after Uganda's lackluster 1-0 win over Niger

4 - Assistants he's worked with in his spell as Uganda coach

1- Pair of brown shoes he wore in every match

Shs 244m - Money FUFA spent to foot Csaba's net salary over two years.

Shs372m - The compensation Hearts is going to pay FUFA.

0 - Places in the FIFA rankings Uganda improved from the time Csaba took over.

26 - Number of games Csaba was in charge.

14 - Number of games he won.

5 - Games in which he got draws.

7 - Number of matches lost.

0 Places :eek:

All these negative stories coming out now are starting to concern me, there is no denying he has worked with some amount of people, very few of who have much nice to say about him and given we have our own unique owner how long before they fall out?

Hearts of Vladland

One of the reply's

Rude things to say about a person who cannot defend himself. If Csaba did not do anything for the players, at least he got Ugandans to believe in soccer again and come watching in big numbers.

Stop sour graping - Csaba being in Hearts is an opportunity for him to recruit some Ugandan talent he may have noted....during the few times he showed up for Super league, of-course!!!

Francis Albert
All these negative stories coming out now are starting to concern me, there is no denying he has worked with some amount of people, very few of who have much nice to say about him and given we have our own unique owner how long before they fall out?

Is this a translation from the original Ugandan?

I think we should campaign for his hanging FerryJ. Well, until he becomes unpopular.

Then, when he does - I am pretty sure we should champion him.

That sound fair?

:P

LiamWallace

That is funny if it wasn't so worrying maybe I jumped the gun telling prancer we had improved lol!! I don't know what to make of him now but that wasn't the best press he'll recieve!

The problem is no one really knows enough about him or Uganda to know whether it is bitterness or if it has foundation

Only time will tell

Sadly I just dont believe he is anything more than talk as I do not believe for a second vlad would open up his inner circle and let someone else do the job he so clearly wants to do

Commander Harris

just looks like someone mouthing off because of the manner in which he left. For example, to accuse Csaba of lying because his Wiki entry was innacurate shows what level the author is at IMO.

Not one single reply has agreed with the article and seems to hint at a case of sour grapes from the author.

1:

Rude things to say about a person who cannot defend himself. If Csaba did not do anything for the players, at least he got Ugandans to believe in soccer again and come watching in big numbers.

Stop sour graping - Csaba being in Hearts is an opportunity for him to recruit some Ugandan talent he may have noted....during the few times he showed up for Super league, of-course!!!

2:

Csaba brought professionalism and stability into the team. For years the Cranes players complained of lack of consistency but no one seemed to care. Csaba took note. He also by default avoided club politics.

Otherwise, several Ugandan coaches could have done a better job. This is an opportunity to get someone who will not just settle for Cranes success but will revolutionize Uganda's game.

3:

i actually think all the media buzz about csaba's pure nonsense.....david lumu, madoi and co.........if you were approached by CNN to clean offices, you would'nt even pack your bags but just jump at the opportunity..........football-wise, i think csaba tried......FUFA are the real problem here.......persoally i wish csaba the best and all the luck......cranes was just a journey not a destination

I particularly like the analogy in reply 3. :)

Noticed, presumably the same, brown shoes at East End Park, along with a grey suit.

It was just wrong.

rudi must stay
The problem is no one really knows enough about him or Uganda to know whether it is bitterness or if it has foundation

Only time will tell

Sadly I just dont believe he is anything more than talk as I do not believe for a second vlad would open up his inner circle and let someone else do the job he so clearly wants to do

brilliant. He's been in the job 3 days and he's already the wrong man! :P

heartsfc_fan

Isn't THAT bad to be fair

I try to be positive ;)

Read the first sentence of number 5 - probably not written by Csaba - and you can see the motivation for the whole article. Sour grapes? Soor Plooms

What aload of pish. They are just bitter thought he was their 'miracle man' and brought a bit of spirit to their nations football team. I've read enough ugandian based articles in the run up to csaba being appointed to know they are not the most professional or well balanced. That's not to say our media is! but I'd personally take this with a pinch of salt.

Why would the ugandan fa want compensation for someone they now say was crap at his job/ you would think they would be delighted to have him ofloaded from their payroll.:wacko:

Decent record by all accounts.

0 - Places in the FIFA rankings Uganda improved from the time Csaba took

over.

A bad appointment would be someone who made us plumet down the rankings and lost more than we won. See Berti Vogts Scotland career!

taking over a team like Uganda and actually winning 14 and drawing 5 and losing 7 is a record most International bosses would be well pleased with

main language in uganda is english. Although Swahili is spoken through out also.

Decent record by all accounts.

0 - Places in the FIFA rankings Uganda improved from the time Csaba took

over.

A bad appointment would be someone who made us plumet down the rankings and lost more than we won. See Berti Vogts Scotland career!

taking over a team like Uganda and actually winning 14 and drawing 5 and losing 7 is a record most International bosses would be well pleased with

What teams did Uganda play against to get the 14 wins? I have no idea. There are a huge number of countries in Africa. Perhaps Uganda play the weaker teams?

I think an awful lot of people have got very carried away about this chap. Time will tell.

What teams did Uganda play against to get the 14 wins? I have no idea. There are a huge number of countries in Africa. Perhaps Uganda play the weaker teams?

I think an awful lot of people have got very carried away about this chap. Time will tell.

wouldn't say carried away. Inevitably he will be judged on results, hope he gets a fair amount of time though. I think the 'hype' is due to he talks a good game and after the months without a manager we, the fans, are just happy to be able to get back behind the club again. For now we can only hope he delivers.

Personally i have not based any of my thoughts on how Csaba might do for us by his record in Uganda.It's more to do with his record in Hugary and in the way the man has come across in interviews since he arrived.Anyone who took any notice(and i doubt there was many)in the miracle man quotes were just plain stupid.

wouldn't say carried away. Inevitably he will be judged on results, hope he gets a fair amount of time though. I think the 'hype' is due to he talks a good game and after the months without a manager we, the fans, are just happy to be able to get back behind the club again. For now we can only hope he delivers.

That's fair I think.

There do seem to be some questions about him and his record though. And add them to the necessary belief that for some reason VR has changed. And to be honest that is asking a lot.

Personally i have not based any of my thoughts on how Csaba might do for us by his record in Uganda.It's more to do with his record in Hugary and in the way the man has come across in interviews since he arrived.Anyone who took any notice(and i doubt there was many)in the miracle man quotes were just plain stupid.

Was talking in general. And the Scotland on Sunday report last week

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/football/From-Transylvania-to-Tynecastle.4283422.jp

raised some questions about his time in Hungary too.

Mark McGhee showed that we couldn't expect to bring in a coveted manager. I guess we get a manager at the level we can probably expect.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/football/From-Transylvania-to-Tynecastle.4283422.jp

Mark McGhee showed that we couldn't expect to bring in a coveted manager. I guess we get a manager at the level we can probably expect.

Don't really see anything to bad in that report.

Ogi fae Gorgie

Or on the other hand who did they lose to may be more pertinant.

ToadKiller Dog

What i dont understand is if he was so bad in uganda why was he the longest serving national coach when he left and why did Rogers Mulindwa when it first ame out that hearts were interested state that they hoped he would stay and would try to convince him to?.

This opinion piece from Uganda sounds more like its to to do with the internal politics of ugandan football than Csaba.

I liked this part of the article :

"I was the coach but I could only do that job 10% of the time. I had to go after training to talk with sponsors. I had to talk with the media, to make the club more positive, to go out and arrange training camps"

And he isn't even talking about Hearts !!

Ryan Gosling

Well one of the wins was against Nigeria, their first ever victory over them.

Tbh, I don't care. He's here now, and I'll assess his ability based on his time at Hearts.

Seymour M Hersh
Good lord. Catty little so and so. :eek:

Maybe someone should email him and invite him here to respond directly...

[email protected]

Perhaps their version of the tw@t that is Jackson in the rantic?

I'l take the guy as i see him and the results he gets on the park,no matter who came in as our manager i expected the press to dig up all the dirt they could have on him

Full name: Republic of Uganda

Population: 30.9 million (UN, 2007)

Capital: Kampala

Area: 241,038 sq km (93,072 sq miles)

Major languages: English (official), Swahili (official), Luganda, various Bantu languages

Archived