Torino

Jambo na hÉireann

Jambo na hÉireann

Anyone follow Torino in Serie A? 

Been following Fiorentina for years, and have always been Torino-curious…for maroon tinted reasons.

Watching them on the telly just now and looking forward to my trip there next month. Wondering how the match day experience is, tickets, stadium etc 

I only watch the odd Serie A match.  Whenever I've watched Torino I've always found the atmosphere from the fans was very good, from over the TV.☺  One of my favourites.   The other is Hellas Verona, always a good atmosphere.   Not always spectacular football.   

Bret the Hitman Hearts

I've got a mate over there who's a Torino fan. I've been over a few times, including earlier this season. The stadium is in a pretty good location (i.e. not in the middle of nowhere) and tickets are easy to come by as long as it's not a big match. Let me know if you've got any particular questions and I'll do my best to help. 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

I used to live in torino. 

Ask torino related info, you'll probs want/need to know how the tram system works over there. 

Jambo na hÉireann

Cheers lads, appreciated. The game I’ll be there for is Atalanta - probably not a sell out right?

Didn’t even think about trams and such, I usually take the shoelace express on holiday. As long as most of Turin is within 60-90 min walk? 

Are there nice restaurants near the stadium? 

Oh and also - a team shop. One at stadium? Need the merch 

My mate and I were there a couple of months ago. They played Genoa. I got tickets from their website no problem. They were around €25. Make sure you take your passport with you to get into the stadium. Really easy to get to the stadium (we jumped on a tram) from the city centre. There was a large police presence around the ground, but the fans were mixing before kickoff and there was a good atmosphere and no trouble. Lots of vans selling food and beer outside. Torino won one nil with an injury time goal, but it was actually a really poor game!

Turin itself was much nicer than I expected. We did an electric bike tour and we were able to see quite a bit of the city with a guide.

Jambo in Yorkshire
14 hours ago, Jambo na hÉireann said:

Been following Fiorentina for years, and have always been Torino-curious…for maroon tinted reasons.

Watching them on the telly just now and looking forward to my trip there next month. Wondering how the match day experience is, tickets, stadium etc 

I was at a game a couple of years ago, bought tickets from the office at the main stand side of the ground. You will need your passport to buy but entry to the ground wasn’t an issue.

Lots of food stalls outside the ground.

14 hours ago, Jambo na hÉireann said:

If you are looking for somewhere to stay you can see the stadium from here  - DoubleTree by Hilton Turin Lingotto - it's in the old Fiat factory that has the test track on the roof (the one in The Italian Job). Great city by the way, a little rough round the edges but I like it a lot.

I like Salernitana they play in maroon, was in Naples on holiday and I seen l there strip in a shop and I had to have it, they are not doing to well bottom of the league just now.

IMG_1315.png

Just remember to wear your Hearts top. The locals always recognise it and it leads to having a much better match day experience with them.

1 hour ago, TommyBizarro said:

My mate and I were there a couple of months ago. They played Genoa. I got tickets from their website no problem. They were around €25. Make sure you take your passport with you to get into the stadium. Really easy to get to the stadium (we jumped on a tram) from the city centre. There was a large police presence around the ground, but the fans were mixing before kickoff and there was a good atmosphere and no trouble. Lots of vans selling food and beer outside. Torino won one nil with an injury time goal, but it was actually a really poor game!

Turin itself was much nicer than I expected. We did an electric bike tour and we were able to see quite a bit of the city with a guide.

Apologies for being a pest - any tips re the city itself as its on my hotlist to maybe do  (eg is it as industrial as they make out or is there a decent old town/things to do and see ?) 👍

We did a lot of walking during the day, mainly to keep us off the drink. Most of the city is really flat, so it’s easy going. I’m in my late fifties and we were doing around ten miles a day no bother. It does get hilly once you cross the river Po, but the views of the city, and the Alps in the distance, were worth it. We didn’t bother with the Fiat museum or even the Juventus stadium. There are a good number of museums, a famous Egyptian one, and a great cinema/film one, if you are into that stuff. We got great weather so we sat at a couple of bars by the river Po each day and watched the world go by. We spent three days there and weren’t bored at all.

Hope you enjoy yourself 👍

periodictabledancer
7 hours ago, Jambo na hÉireann said:

Cheers lads, appreciated. The game I’ll be there for is Atalanta - probably not a sell out right?

Didn’t even think about trams and such, I usually take the shoelace express on holiday. As long as most of Turin is within 60-90 min walk? 

I had a week look at their website .https://torinofc.it/en/biglietteria

You can register and buy online (I did this with Roma to get tickets for the Rome derby - but I've since seen street stalls set up to flog tickets. Although since Mourinho took  over, sales have rocketed and its very dificult to get tickets now).

Anyways. it might be worth registering with Torino to see what's what - or maybe someone on here can advise if there's local ticket sales. 

Just be aware of the Italian law that requires names on tickets. not transferrable etc. 

Edit- I don't know why I didn't see the previous post saying the same thing. :facepalm:

Edited by periodictabledancer

12 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

The Man

My wife and I drank with this chap on numerous occasions.

The West End, The Cowgate and in Bruntsfield.

He’s perfect.  👍❤️❤️

Hello again Jambos! As a Fiorentina fan, I have a soft spot for Torino as well as Hellas Verona and Catanzaro - who we are all 'twinned' with and we regard as 'brothers' and often display banners of friendship. Therefore the fans get along well and will mix before and after the game (and sometimes during). At Tynie last October for instance, there were a couple of Hellas fans waving flags in front of me in the Roseburn!

I've coincidentally just bought flights so we can go to Fiorentina v Torino on 29th Dec - my first home game since the pandemic/lockdown. Really looking forward to it and hopefully will beat Juve on Sunday night. Now that will be a victory for La Viola, Torino and football as a whole! 

Doctor FinnBarr
18 minutes ago, Stuart Jack said:

Hello again Jambos! As a Fiorentina fan, I have a soft spot for Torino as well as Hellas Verona and Catanzaro - who we are all 'twinned' with and we regard as 'brothers' and often display banners of friendship. Therefore the fans get along well and will mix before and after the game (and sometimes during). At Tynie last October for instance, there were a couple of Hellas fans waving flags in front of me in the Roseburn!

I've coincidentally just bought flights so we can go to Fiorentina v Torino on 29th Dec - my first home game since the pandemic/lockdown. Really looking forward to it and hopefully will beat Juve on Sunday night. Now that will be a victory for La Viola, Torino and football as a whole! 

How does this twinning thing work Stuart? Can't imagine us wanting to twin with anyone in the SPFL. But I do manage to watch CD Tenerife maybe 3 times a season whilst on holiday and they have some odd (to me) relationship with Malaga. No idea how all this works.

21 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

How does this twinning thing work Stuart? Can't imagine us wanting to twin with anyone in the SPFL. But I do manage to watch CD Tenerife maybe 3 times a season whilst on holiday and they have some odd (to me) relationship with Malaga. No idea how all this works.

Hi. Yes, it's unusual in terms of a Scottish or UK fans' perspective. Culturally, it's very common in Italy and I understand it (although as I'm not Italian, it's difficult for me to explain the intricacies, let alone the history of it!).

Generally, it's just a positive relationship- where two teams have a common ground, a shared history, a mutual hated rival or perhaps an event that linked them. For example, after playing Liverpool in the Champions League (last time we were in and Gerrard was playing) we beat them home and away 4-1 on aggregate. But because we beat Everton in 2008, the fans became twinned and you can sometimes see Liverpool flags or shirts in the Fiorentina stands! 

This link explains it a bit, but if you search twinning - in Italian it's called "gemellaggio"  https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/gemellaggio-10-unbelievable-stories-friendship-italian-football

On 03/11/2023 at 11:37, busbyfth said:

Apologies for being a pest - any tips re the city itself as its on my hotlist to maybe do  (eg is it as industrial as they make out or is there a decent old town/things to do and see ?) 👍

Used to date a ballerina from Turin 20 years ago - I reccommend hot chocolate in the cafes in the winter and not going there in August as the whole population has decamped to the beach!

I live in Torino and I'm a Toro fan. Unfortunately I wont be attending the Atalanta game (I will be coming to Edinburgh to watch Hearts) but feel free to ask for any info.

2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Used to date a ballerina from Turin 20 years ago - I reccommend hot chocolate in the cafes in the winter and not going there in August as the whole population has decamped to the beach!

Cheers

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
On 03/11/2023 at 07:30, Jambo na hÉireann said:

Be warned torinos gtt tram system are complete ar******s.

You used to be able to only buy tram tickets in corner shops and tobacco shops called tabacci don't know if it's still like that they may have finally made it possible to buy on an app... 

Anyway don't get caught on a tram by the conductor minus a ticket because they will fine you.