Bob Sharp

Morgan

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I am pretty certain the moderators on here will have taken the view that I would have - that Bob being well into his 80s having lost both his daughter and wife, living alone in this world deserved a bit of lee way with regards to his unsavoury comments. He got comfort out of this forum.  
Everyone posts stupid things on here and everyone has biases. Especially those of a different generation. It’s human nature. Maybe Bobs problem was he was to open about his. 

I like, and agree, with this bit. 👍

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• JudyJudyJudy

• AlimOzturk

• New Town Loafer

been here before
8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I am pretty certain the moderators on here will have taken the view that I would have - that Bob being well into his 80s having lost both his daughter and wife, living alone in this world deserved a bit of lee way with regards to his unsavoury comments. He got comfort out of this forum.  
Everyone posts stupid things on here and everyone has biases. Especially those of a different generation. It’s human nature. Maybe Bobs problem was he was to open about his. 

Calm down mate, you are getting awful excited there.

I have no problem with you so why would put you ignore?

Bobs old school police. Beating up folk was part of the police manual back in the day. I doubt you would get the kid running around aiming fireworks at folks had there been the Bobs of the day patrolling the streets with an Iron Baton. The old school police wouldn’t have put up with the shit in the police did yesterday. Is policing better now than it was back in the day? Debate-able. 

I have read worse things on here than bobs comments of queer folk. Pretty certain the mods will have taken his overall good behaviour on here on board, his age and everything else before coming to a decision regarding his continued membership on this forum. I am sure Bob got told his comments aren’t welcome. 

Rather than just “banning” someone of an older generation maybe try and show him why some of his views aren’t valid anymore. Bob always seemed open minded and willing to adapt and change his views on things. 

Bob lost his wife, daughter and moved into a retirement home. He’s well into his 80s. He needs social interactions and whilst we won’t agree on everything I can ignore certain things when I think overall a person is a good spud. 

We all become old and out dated at some point.

Well if the mods thought his comments were fine...

As I recall folk did try to point out what was wrong with his veiws, he doubled down, took the huff and stopped posting.

Being auld and 'having a hard time' really is no excuse.

Its more the sychophantic idolisation of some posters toward him and his 'stories' that is the pathetic thing about it all.

29 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Calm down mate, you are getting awful excited there.

I have no problem with you so why would put you ignore?

Bobs old school police. Beating up folk was part of the police manual back in the day. I doubt you would get the kid running around aiming fireworks at folks had there been the Bobs of the day patrolling the streets with an Iron Baton. The old school police wouldn’t have put up with the shit in the police did yesterday. Is policing better now than it was back in the day? Debate-able. 

I have read worse things on here than bobs comments of queer folk. Pretty certain the mods will have taken his overall good behaviour on here on board, his age and everything else before coming to a decision regarding his continued membership on this forum. I am sure Bob got told his comments aren’t welcome. 

Rather than just “banning” someone of an older generation maybe try and show him why some of his views aren’t valid anymore. Bob always seemed open minded and willing to adapt and change his views on things. 

Bob lost his wife, daughter and moved into a retirement home. He’s well into his 80s. He needs social interactions and whilst we won’t agree on everything I can ignore certain things when I think overall a person is a good spud. 

We all become old and out dated at some point.

A few posters did challenge him about his views.  That was good to see. 

22 minutes ago, been here before said:

As I recall folk did try to point out what was wrong with his veiws, he doubled down, took the huff and stopped posting.

Its more the sychophantic idolisation of some posters toward him and his 'stories' that is the pathetic thing about it all.

This. 

24 minutes ago, been here before said:

Agreed

J.T.F.Robertson
20 minutes ago, been here before said:

I've been in Bob's company on a couple of occasions and the very last thing he would want is to be "idolized".

He asked more than once if he was sometimes coming across as (to paraphrase) a silly auld bugger, to which I retorted, anything but.

I actually haven’t seen the posts in question but am sure there's no one regrets making them more than he will.

He is/was a genuinely nice guy and a gent, to boot.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stane. 

7 hours ago, been here before said:

:D I never saw any of that, personally. The fact that you've read that into folk's exchanges with Bob says far more about you than it does him.

27 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D I never saw any of that, personally. The fact that you've read that into folk's exchanges with Bob says far more about you than it does him.

That's a right grim way to see it eh? :laugh2: 

I'm not Bob's age, but if I extrapolate what's happened with me over the years, I'd imagine he couldn't care less what younger generations think, they're retarded or something.

luckyBatistuta
On 01/11/2023 at 22:38, Dawnrazor said:

😂 I'll probably get banned for something 🤦

On 01/11/2023 at 22:43, Morgan said:

If you don’t, you feckin should.

👍

I’ll 2nd that 😁

8 hours ago, Herbert. said:

I liked Bob, He was interesting. What did he say?

I liked him too. 👍

If you read been here befores post (above) you'll get the gist of what he said.

He was a wee bit out of order on a couple of the things he said, but, as Alim said yesterday, he is a very different generation.

7 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’ll 2nd that 😁

He needs 6 months minimum, if you were to ask me.

😍

New Town Loafer
5 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

No, but I'm flattered by the comparison.

We need more flattery imo.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I liked him too. 👍

He was a wee bit out of order on a couple of the things he said, but, as Alim said yesterday, he is a very different generation.

Just read the post and the fact he doubled down😂, I hope he posts again.

Thunder and Lightning
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

I liked him too. 👍

Is being old an excuse for being racist/sexist or homophobic? 

(not suggesting these were the topics people said he went on about but getting that impression).

been here before

I suppose that his suggestion in relation to JKB that "if Gay fans want a site open one..." was also just cause he was old.

Edited by been here before

New Town Loafer
5 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Is being old an excuse for being racist/sexist or homophobic? 

(not suggesting these were the topics people said he went on about but getting that impression).

Yes, so what's my excuse?

Daniel Koranteng on X: "Between Hasbullah and Porpor, who has the better  memes? https://t.co/lI8ICrmTBL" / X

Thunder and Lightning
2 minutes ago, been here before said:

I suppose that his suggestion in relation to JKB that "if Gay fans want a site open one..." was also just cause he was old.

wow, seems a nice guy with comments like that.  Surely not?

25 minutes ago, been here before said:

His suggestion in relation to JKB that "if Gay fans want a site open one..." was also just cause he was old.

If it means we get peace from James... :whistling:

32 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

wow, seems a nice guy with comments like that.  Surely not?

Yes he did . 

57 minutes ago, been here before said:

The double standards on this page is incredible. If anyone else had said something like that, there would be an outcry (correctly) for that poster to be banned.

But Bob said it, so it’s ok because he’s old and we like him.

Unreal :lol:

5 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

The double standards on this page is incredible. If anyone else had said something like that, there would be an outcry (correctly) for that poster to be banned.

But Bob said it, so it’s ok because he’s old and we like him.

Unreal :lol:

Tbf a few decent posters challenged him at the time which was nice to see from my perspective . 

18 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Tbf a few decent posters challenged him at the time which was nice to see from my perspective . 

Good to hear that some posters pulled him up on it. I’m talking about those that seem to think his views were ok, because it was “generation thing” though.

5 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Good to hear that some posters pulled him up on it. I’m talking about those that seem to think his views were ok, because it was “generation thing” though.

I think a lot of people’s’ parents had pretty different views 60 odd years ago. Not right but night and day now.

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I’m not sure folk (I’m sure you include me, Ian) think his views were ok because of the generation thing.

I just think they (myself included again) are pointing out that it was probably more commonplace back then to say these sort of things.

Not right, that’s for sure, but more commonplace.

There are many other examples of this, you only have to have a read through The Woke thread to see them.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I’m not sure folk (I’m sure you include me, Ian) think his views were ok because of the generation thing.

I just think they (myself included again) are pointing out that it was probably more commonplace back then to say these sort of things.

Not right, that’s for sure, but more commonplace.

There are many other examples of this, you only have to have a read through The Woke thread to see them.

It’s more that it seems to have been more accepted because it was Bob, Morgan. Anyone else would’ve got dogs abuse, regardless of age. There were posters that called him on it, which was great. However, other posters with his views would have got it rammed down their throat at every given opportunity. Again, regardless of age.

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I’m guessing some people don’t want to let it go and Bob will be condemned to Hell forever more :sterb147:

One could be forgiven for thinking that Bob had actually 'Done a Tosh".  :biggrin:

I always liked some of bobs stories. But the ones that involved "a quiet word in the ear" showed what was wrong with the police. I remember getting a clip round the ear from the police. It wasn't a deterrent as we never expected to get caught. The main deterrent was if my old man found out. Some of the police on those days were just bullies. I don't know which category Bob fitted into though, hopefully not a bully who hid behind his uniform. As others have said, he was quite rightly called out for his homophobic views. I've had bans from this site for a lot less than what Bob posted (mine were probably deserved, and I still have to live with an indefinite ban from the meme thread).

Again, I have read far worse than “go start a gay forum then” on this forum. Just go look at the many political threads and some of the very same posters on here will have said some rather unsavoury things themselves. 

Again, if you can’t let go of a few daft comments from a grieving 80 odd year old guy then it says more about your own precious feelings than it does about him.

And yes age does matter.  Older folk are find it infinitely harder to let go of past ideas that in their time were acceptable. 

23 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Again, I have read far worse than “go start a gay forum then” on this forum. Just go look at the many political threads and some of the very same posters on here will have said some rather unsavoury things themselves. 

Again, if you can’t let go of a few daft comments from a grieving 80 odd year old guy then it says more about your own precious feelings than it does about him.

And yes age does matter.  Older folk are find it infinitely harder to let go of past ideas that in their time were acceptable. 

:thumb:

10 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Hardly “ daft comments “ 

What would you call them?

What do want to happen here Judy? Hunt Bob down have him beg for forgiveness publicly and then still have him cancelled?

Sounds an awful lot like the fanatical trans group you hate so much. 

31 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Exactly the point I’m making, Alim. 
Most posters would get slaughtered. But it’s  80 year old Bob, so it’s just “a few daft comments”.

Can I can clarify that I don’t dislike the guy. I’m just pointing out the double standards.

1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

Exactly the point I’m making, Alim. 
Most posters would get slaughtered. But it’s  80 year old Bob, so it’s just “a few daft comments”.

Can I can clarify that I don’t dislike the guy. I’m just pointing out the double standards.

Bob always exhibited good behaviour on here (as far as I was aware) outwith the gay comments so I mean, would it have been justified outright banning someone for one bit of bad behaviour? And then, surely some common sense decision making would have to take place regarding warnings ect..who knows what the mods did. none of us do. 

6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

What would you call them?

What do want to happen here Judy? Hunt Bob down have him beg for forgiveness publicly and then still have him cancelled?

Sounds an awful lot like the fanatical trans group you hate so much. 

No I didn’t bring that issue up again so stop writing crap . I left it where it was in past . He got told off oh no uncertain terms from a few decent posters then . I take offence at you stated it was “ a few daft comments “ when it was basically comments telling me to get off this forum as I didn’t belong on it as I was

“ queer “.  Fairly toxic 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Bob always exhibited good behaviour on here (as far as I was aware) outwith the gay comments so I mean, would it have been justified outright banning someone for one bit of bad behaviour? And then, surely some common sense decision making would have to take place regarding warnings ect..who knows what the mods did. none of us do. 

I wasn’t suggesting banning him.