David Obua signs!! (subject to work permit)....merged threads

gcjambo

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what i cant understand is for someone who scored a hatrick recently for his national team its extremelly difficult to find footage of him on the net????

what i cant understand is for someone who scored a hatrick recently for his national team its extremelly difficult to find footage of him on the net????

I've been looking too and the only footage I could find of the Uganda - Niger match was on youtube and had been filmed by someone in the crowd and you can't really see anything. Maybe not all the games are televised over there? Could be a possible explanation.

I'm just a little bit concerned about the SPL panel in relation to awarding Obua a work permit. Hearts have very few friends these days within Scottish Football and this could be an example of that working against us.

The pleasing thing about this signing though, is that with David Obua being Ugandan, its obviously 100% a Csaba Lazlo signing. A major indicator of Mr Romanov's change of tact would also be the appointment of the Ugandan coach as Csaba's assistant, such a move would speak volumes.

Happy times indeed could be on the way.

:)

how come hes already in the squad for germany if hes still awaiting results of his work permit?

cause germany aint in the UK ;)

I'd love to think that but I can just see the old excuse of 'he won't offer anything to enhance Scottish football' being trotted out as a reason to deny the WP.

Closely followed by....'however if he were to sign for Rangers, I'm sure an exception could be made' ;)

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Obua-on-course-for-work.4320393.jp

Didnt see it anywhere else.

Published Date: 24 July 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

NEW Hearts signing David Obua is confident of obtaining a UK work permit to finalise his move to Tynecastle, although he may have to rely on an appeal to do so.

Hearts expect the Home Office to reject their initial application for Obua's permit on the grounds that his country, Uganda, are outwith FIFA's top-70 ranked nations. Campbell Ogilvie, the club's managing director, is currently preparing the necessary paperwork for submission.

Government regulations state that footballers from outwith the European Union must have played 75 per cent of their country's competitive internationals during the two years preceding their application for a UK work permit. Additionally, that country must be within FIFA's top 70. Obua, with 22 Ugandan caps, satisfies the first criteria but not the second. Uganda are currently ranked 97th by FIFA, therefore an independent appeals panel is likely to be required to decide if the midfielder is a special talent who could enhance Scottish football. His case was examined recently by officials at West Ham United, where he spent a week on trial, and the English club received encouraging feedback about Obua's prospects for appealing successfully.

The former South African Player of the Year believes he has a strong case to argue. "David is confident he will get the work permit and he is looking forward to playing for Hearts," said Janos Hrutka, the player's agent.

"We have confirmation from FUFA (Federation of Ugandan Football Associations] that he has played more than the 75 per cent of matches. We know they are not in FIFA's top 70, but David is a special player.

"He is considered one of the biggest talents in Africa. West Ham checked everything about him and they received confirmation that he would be likely to get a work permit for the UK.

"Of course, nothing is certain, but Hearts would not have taken David if they did not believe he could play in Scotland."

Obua was denied an outing as a trialist last night as Hearts defeated a local select side 6-0 in the first match of their German tour. The midfielder injured a rib in training but X-rays have confirmed no serious damage.

"I'm a little sad about David," said Csaba Laszlo, the Hearts manager. "He is a very good player and was playing very good football in training. Then he had a crash one-on-one with a player and he got injured. Hopefully tomorrow he should be OK because it's not serious. I think somebody came with an elbow in his ribs, but it's not a fracture. He will be back training in two days."

Looking forward to seeing him at tynie if he gets his permit how bout a couple of strikers while your at at csaba?

the voice from above
Does anyone know when we will find out if he will get a work permit.

the deafening silence suggests no... I wouldn't mind finding out.

Difficult comparing like for like CCC/SPL or league to league.

Colin Samuel (or was it Jason Scotland) a good example - denied a WP for DU but got one for St Johnstone. Think it depends whether they add something to the league.

Why did WH not follow up their interest in Obua?

Guest JamboRobbo
Difficult comparing like for like CCC/SPL or league to league.

Colin Samuel (or was it Jason Scotland) a good example - denied a WP for DU but got one for St Johnstone. Think it depends whether they add something to the league.

Why did WH not follow up their interest in Obua?

It's all a bit of a scandal to be honest. If you're mates with the panel, you get a WP. If you're not, you don't.

The two chinese boys celtic got permits have managed about 1 game between them (and that resulted in him being sent hom).

There's a post from Coppercrutch somewhere in this thread which has details of the hearings obtained via freedom of information or something.

It makes pretty shocking reading the players that have gotten in, and the "reasons", compared with the ones who've been denied (samual and Gogua - both of whom we're denied a permit for no good reason other than the people on the panel had a grudge against the teams they were signing for.....).

Here's an example of PArtick thistle getting a permit ffs.,

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199900/cmselect/cmeduemp/218/0021621.htm

Guest JamboRobbo
Not many people seem to be aware of this but the Gogua WP situation was :-

He didn't automatically qualify for a WP due to Georgia's lowly world ranking. This meant we had to go to an appeal.

The appeal panel rejected the application because we were only trying to sign Gogua on loan, with an option to sign him permanently at the end of the loan period, rather than signing him on a permanent contract from the start. The panel took the view (understandably IMO) that this was effectively a long term trial period and WPs are not issued for trial periods.

It was stated at the time that had we been signing Gogua on a permanent contract, a WP would almost certainly have been issued.

I have no idea whether any other players have been issued WPs for loan signings or not, but I'm sure someone will know!

I do agree, the only problem being that the WP regulations specifically mention that loan/permanent deal CAN NOT be taken into account when deciding whether or not to issue a permit. To quote the regulations

"Loan deals will not be treated any differently to other contractual arrangements which form part of a work permit application for a footballer"

EDit: Here's a link to the post with all the relevent info for anyone interested.

It has links to the rules, and to the findings of previous hearings, including who was on the panel etc.

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21829#post390456

I do agree, the only problem being that the WP regulations specifically mention that loan/permanent deal CAN NOT be taken into account when deciding whether or not to issue a permit. To quote the regulations

"Loan deals will not be treated any differently to other contractual arrangements which form part of a work permit application for a footballer"

Yup, as I posted earlier, Du Wei got one on appeal, and his initial signing was on loan (and very much a "trial" from what Celtic were saying...).

Interesting news from Birmingham regarding their hopes of getting a WP for this lad. Hopefully the fact that Obua seems to be a big fish coming to a smaller pond will wokr in our favour. Birmingham were not hopefull and the case is similar to ours...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_3860959,00.html

True, in that the similarity is that he doesn't meet the criteria required for an automatic permit. However, noone whose case goes to an appeal does.

Archived