Unforced Errors

DS98

In the last 6 months there has been an inexplicable amount of high profile individual mistakes that have cost us dear. The type we might expect to get once a season maybe, 2 at most. Off the top of my head -

Rowles v Hibs (1-1)

Cochrane v Celtic (red card)

Sibbick v Rangers (2-2)

Rowles v PAOK (pen)

Clark/Denholm v Dundee (1-0)

Clark v St Mirren (1-0)

Beni v Hibs (2-2)

Sibbick v Hibs (2-2)

Haring v Rangers (1-2) 

I can’t remember a run like it. How in Gods name does it keep happening? 

3 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

Clark absolutely messed up away to Killie too. After being 1 up we lost the game & missed out on that 3rd spot. 

Got away with one today , palming the ball straight to Raskin 

15 minutes ago, DS98 said:

In the last 6 months there has been an inexplicable amount of high profile individual mistakes that have cost us dear. The type we might expect to get once a season maybe, 2 at most. Off the top of my head -

Rowles v Hibs (1-1)

Sibbick v Rangers (2-2)

Rowles v PAOK (pen)

Clark v St Mirren (1-0)

Beni v Hibs (2-2)

Sibbick v Hibs (2-2)

Haring v Rangers (1-2) 

Management takes ultimate responsibility.

There is a slackness to us that needs to be addressed. Naismith has spoken about it before, decision making. Rowles heads clear v PAOK - no penalty, Sibbick clears his lines - no goals against Rangers or Hibs. Haring recognises he's at the governing bodies pet club and shouldn't do anything rash... 

Its up to Naimith to instill better decision making. That is part of management. He needs to figure it out. 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Management takes ultimate responsibility.

There is a slackness to us that needs to be addressed. Naismith has spoken about it before, decision making. Rowles heads clear v PAOK - no penalty, Sibbick clears his lines - no goals against Rangers or Hibs. Haring recognises he's at the governing bodies pet club and shouldn't do anything rash... 

Its up to Naimith to instill better decision making. That is part of management. He needs to figure it out. 

It's been like this for a season or two. Inability to defend crosses, for example. WTF do they do in training?

23 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Rowles v Hibs (1-1)

Sibbick v Rangers (2-2)

Rowles v PAOK (pen)

Clark v St Mirren (1-0)

Beni v Hibs (2-2)

Sibbick v Hibs (2-2)

Haring v Rangers (1-2) 

Keeps happening because the players aren't great, plain and simple. 

No other way to describe it, good players keep their focus and concentration for 90mins.

Bazzas right boot

Same under Bob, they only thing is that we were even worse at set pieces before Kent.

Sibbick makes mistakes every game, has done since he arrived here.

Devlin gives the ball away frequently,  always has.

Rowles is improving 

Cochrane continues to make mistakes 

Clarke makes more mistakes than CG.

Haring is slow and makes mistakes. 

In general we are making the same individual errors as last season and are blighted by Injuries like last season. 

The new signings,  bar Kent have not improved the starting 11 and our form continues on the same path.

With Gino gone and  Smith gone you could argue we are actually weaker in some positions than last Season.

2 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

It's been like this for a season or two. Inability to defend crosses, for example. WTF do they do in training?

Been asking that for a while too :D 

2 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Worst in the league for failing to cut out crosses at source.

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Same under Bob, they only thing is that we were even worse at set pieces before Kent.

Rowles is improving 

In general we are making the same individual errors as last season and are blighted by Injuries like last season. 

The new signings,  bar Kent have not improved the starting 11 and our form continues on the same path.

With Gino gone and  Smith gone you could argue we are actually weaker in some positions than last Season.

See just on Rowlesv - full credit to him, he's really improved from his rocky start at the beginning of the season. 

Do agree re summer signings. Feels a bit like we've bought a bunch of potential, but nothing that can help us here and now. 

Very little leadership there to enforce standards.

Guys can make these mistakes every week safe in the knowledge they won’t be nailed to the dressing room wall, or be dropped.

The whole squad mentality is absolutely rotten.

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Rowles is improving 

Cochrane was good today. Pish last week but maybe unfit.

1 minute ago, liam11 said:

Very little leadership there to enforce standards.

Guys can make these mistakes every week safe in the knowledge they won’t be nailed to the dressing room wall, or be dropped.

The whole squad mentality is absolutely rotten.

Agree. We need a strong leader in midfield to captain the team and cajole teammates to keep focus.

rudi must stay

Don't mind mistakes, as long as the player recover correctly from them. That was what Clement said, the team will make mistakes it's inevitable it's about how you respond

These type of things are absolutely cutting our throat and undoing any good work we do. For example all the good play and dominant performance in the derby, Shankland’s great goal and superb all round defensive display today all go out the window with just a couple of players momentary stupid decisions. 

I watched the entire Hibs v Celtic game yesterday. Celtic were probably as poor as Rangers were today. Hibs weren’t good by any stretch of the imagination but all their players just did their job. Nothing rash, no stupid decisions or stupid fouls and they got a point. That’s all we had to do that last 20 mins. Rangers were done. But yet again, the team gift the opponents a win and give their own fans yet another slap in the face. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Spellczech said:

A blunder should get you dropped. Doesn't happen to Scottish officials and doesn't happen at Hearts...

Not it shouldn’t. 

It never has.

Repeated mistakes should.

Kidd’s Boots
47 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Rowles v Hibs (1-1)

Sibbick v Rangers (2-2)

Rowles v PAOK (pen)

Clark v St Mirren (1-0)

Beni v Hibs (2-2)

Sibbick v Hibs (2-2)

Haring v Rangers (1-2) 

Kent for the 2nd in both these games, he is as culpable 

There seems to be a difference between  how our players react when the OF fans get right behind their team in a positive noisy  way chasing an equaliser or winner .... compared to how the Killie & St.Mirren players reacted when we were roaring Hearts on to get a late goal at Tynecastle - they seemed quite calm & focused,  whereas we seem to panic and make mistakes.  

Thats a group mentality & composure thing.

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Rowles v Hibs (1-1)

Sibbick v Rangers (2-2)

Rowles v PAOK (pen)

Clark v St Mirren (1-0)

Beni v Hibs (2-2)

Sibbick v Hibs (2-2)

Haring v Rangers (1-2) 

You are right but ultimately it comes down to the level of player we've got. Ultimately the reason a lot of these players are playing at Hearts rather than a higher level is they are prone to making too many unforced and sometimes inexplicable errors.

21 minutes ago, stirlo said:

You are right but ultimately it comes down to the level of player we've got. Ultimately the reason a lot of these players are playing at Hearts rather than a higher level is they are prone to making too many unforced and sometimes inexplicable errors.

You’re right but I can’t think of a period of time when it’s been so apparent and occurring so often. Maybe just recency bias and I’m clutching at straws thinking we just need to cut these out and we’ll be fine. 

If you watch League 1 football in England then you will see the exact same level of inconsistency and poor decision making.

That's the standard of player we can afford or attract.  

Brainless from Haring. He didn't have fatigue as an excuse, sheer lazy marking. Even worse was Danilos goal..No one within 5-10 yards of the cross coming in and Kent completely misjudging his jump. Absolute basics.

Malinga the Swinga

We need players who never ever make a mistake and consistently perform to a top level. 

Good luck in finding them 

6 minutes ago, DS98 said:

You’re right but I can’t think of a period of time when it’s been so apparent and occurring so often. Maybe just recency bias and I’m clutching at straws thinking we just need to cut these out and we’ll be fine. 

It's maddening and there's no question there have been some absolute shockers recently. Sibbick's against Hibs is one that will live long in the memory as it was one of the most bizarre pieces of play I've ever seen from a Hearts player in his own penalty area.  

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

We need players who never ever make a mistake and consistently perform to a top level. 

Is the correct answer.

9 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You are right insofar as at the financial level we're operating at we're only going to get a certain level of player. But here's a thing: we've been told they do all sort of statistical analysis of players before signing them - but I wonder if they have a column for 'absolute howlers'. Because I can imagine there are some players in the current squad who have decent stats for a whole load of things, but much of the good work they do is completely undone by terrible errors here and there. For example, I would guess that Sibbick and Cochrane will have good stats for various aspects of their games, but on a fairly regular basis they seem to make the types of errors you would expect of amateur players.  I think the point the OP is making is that some of the errors we have seen this season have been incredible even by our own historical standards.

20 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Major issue for me is more that the mistakes are coming in twos or threes in very quick succession.

We’re imploding in crazy 5 minute spells from winning positions. At our level, players will make mistakes, but it’s one after an another. That’s a losing mentality and it’s unacceptable.

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, stirlo said:

You are right insofar as at the financial level we're operating at we're only going to get a certain level of player. But here's a thing: we've been told they do all sort of statistical analysis of players before signing them - but I wonder if they have a column for 'absolute howlers'. Because I can imagine there are some players in the current squad who have decent stats for a whole load of things, but much of the good work they do is completely undone by terrible errors here and there. For example, I would guess that Sibbick and Cochrane will have good stats for various aspects of their games, but on a fairly regular basis they seem to make the types of errors you would expect of amateur players.  I think the point the OP is making is that some of the errors we have seen this season have been incredible even by our own historical standards.

Almost every player makes howlers. At the moment, we've posters waiting excitedly for one to happen so they can post their complaints.

The only guys who won't make howlers are those who are scared to take the ball and instead hide.

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Nah, but we need less project type players and more that will improve us.

Souttar, Smith, Gino have left recently,  their replacements are worse.

Throw in our injuries and imo recruitment hasn't really addressed the issues,  for example a CH and cover for Beni  last season.

I'm patient but from 3rd 2 seasons ago, to 4th and sacking Bob last season to this season,  We are currently heading in the wrong direction and part of that is players who are not good enough with some making too many mistakes and lacking the basics.

Ofc, we could turn things round,  but 11 points so far is a poor return.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

we could turn things round,  but 11 points so far is a poor return.

I disagree, we will turn things round starting midweek.

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Almost every player makes howlers. At the moment, we've posters waiting excitedly for one to happen so they can post their complaints.

The only guys who won't make howlers are those who are scared to take the ball and instead hide.

Every player makes errors - but the OP is referring to a series of really bad errors the type of which you normally see only once in a blue moon from a professional footballer.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I disagree, we will turn things round starting midweek.

So you agree with that then!

Lets hope so.

Glamorgan Jambo

We passed on Joe Wright last season. I haven’t watched much of him but I watched a bit of the Killie Sheep game earlier on. He looked good in the air, positionally disciplined and not easily pushed off the ball. In fact the Kilmarnock centre halves (Findlay, Wright, Mayo) looked better than our centre halves. 

We’ve recruited very poorly.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

We passed on Joe Wright last season. I haven’t watched much of him but I watched a bit of the Killie Sheep game earlier on. He looked good in the air, positionally disciplined and not easily pushed off the ball. In fact the Kilmarnock centre halves (Findlay, Wright, Mayo) looked better than our centre halves. 

We’ve recruited very poorly.

He was pedestrian, was extremely slow and was criticised almost every time he appeared. Kilmarnock's centre backs were so pish we beat them in the league cup.

This is revisionism of highest order.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Kent is abysmal at the winning goal.

As was Clark - never made any effort to save and just fell on his face. I’ll be glad when Gordon is ready to return.

It’s down to confidence and experience - we are quite a young, inexperienced team… of the outfield players listed by the OP, they are all not yet at their peak, so mistakes are expected. The exception being Haring who just did something inexplicably stupid today. As for Clark, goalies make mistakes and they tend to be fatal… even Gordon has… you just have to balance these with the good stuff they produce. 
We will get better with time… learn, cut out most of the mistakes, confidence increases and we will get more favourable results.

Hopefully we're touting Sibbick around the arse end if English football ahead of cashing in during January window. The mistakes just keep on coming in abundance. Utterly hapless. 

Cruickie's Moustache

As said elsewhere.

I don't think some of our players are very bright.

The do's, don'ts and mistakes are all obvious but certain players keep making the same cock-ups.

The likes  of Rowles and Hoff seem to be paying attention and  trying to improve, while the likes of Sibbick and Haring are in their own wee world!