Spiders.

bairdy

There's a bloody big spider in my bin store, ( well it's big to me anyway ! )

And it's not had anything in it's web for about a month.

How long can they live without any 'grub ? !

I want to get rid of it but the missus won't let me, she says if I sweep it outside it'll die.

Hate the m with a passion ! 

I know they help keep down flies etc, but I just want rid of it ! 😳

If it is removed "humanely", without harming it, it won't die - it'll just scuttle-off somewhere else* and set up home there. Spiders can manage without eating for quite some time, especially the big ones! 

(*Inside your house, for example... :whistling: :thumbsup: )

16 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

If it is removed "humanely", without harming it, it won't die - it'll just scuttle-off somewhere else* and set up home there. Spiders can manage without eating for quite some time, especially the big ones! 

(*Inside your house, for example... :whistling: :thumbsup: )

That's not nice !😳  I've got a phobia about them. probably won't sleep tonight now !

Thanks for that !🤥

I just leave the spiders to it. 

We have a good agreement.  Stay out of my way, and I'll stay out of yours.  They're not doing any harm as long as they stay up in the corners. 

The wee ones that get adventurous and start exploring usually get eaten by the dog!  He will spot the slightest movement and go after them :lol:

Mix peppermint or lavender oil in a spray bottle with water and spray all your nooks and crannies. Hey presto you won't see any of the randy males scuttling about those areas in September/October. Has worked for me the past 2 spider seasons.

henrysmithsgloves
45 minutes ago, bairdy said:

That's not nice !😳  I've got a phobia about them. probably won't sleep tonight now !

Thanks for that !🤥

th-1970759716.jpg

th-2999958662.jpg

th-3849651895.jpg

1 hour ago, bairdy said:

Thanks for that !🤥

My apologies. :)

Persuade yer missus to catch it in a jam-jar and then take it 100 yards or so from your house before letting it go*. :icon14: 

(*It probably won't follow her back / beat her back to the house. :jj:)

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

We have a good agreement.  Stay out of my way, and I'll stay out of yours.  They're not doing any harm as long as they stay up in the corners. 

The wee ones that get adventurous and start exploring usually get eaten by the dog!  He will spot the slightest movement and go after them :lol:

If my dogs see a spider on the floor, it's a mad rush to get it.  I wouldn't say they're spoiled, but one time I lifted a dog so he could get a spider that was up high. 

35 minutes ago, JKB Member C said:

If my dogs see a spider on the floor, it's a mad rush to get it.  I wouldn't say they're spoiled, but one time I lifted a dog so he could get a spider that was up high. 

:lol:

Mine can reach anything up to about 7ft up the wall, so they're not even safe up there.

I have the muddy scratch marks to prove it.  :seething:

Fitzroy Pointon

Had a spider in the close outside my old flat once. It had spun a web next to a wee hole and when I came out in the morning and shut the door it would run in the hole. Next morning the same and on and on. A few weeks later it disappeared and I didn't see it for a few weeks after that. Then one morning I came out and **** me, this thing was huge! It must have been hidden away munching on all the flies it caught and had grown to about ten times the size. 

I don't mind spiders, i could easily hold a right big decent furry one, but these horrible Scottish frauds, they go straight down the pan. 

We should do the same with Hearts players.

3 hours ago, tian447 said:

When our cat was still a kitten, she used to catch them and bring them live up onto the bed to us as a “present”.

Que, me screaming like a wee lassie because there was a big spider running about the bed.

Wee cow!

I've got one that lives in my passenger side mirror. Every day I feel bad because I have to wreck it's web to be able to see! 

Must be worth it though, or it would **** off after the second or third time. Have to be careful washing the car so I don't drown it :vrface:

4 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

When our cat was still a kitten, she used to catch them and bring them live up onto the bed to us as a “present”.

Que, me screaming like a wee lassie because there was a big spider running about the bed.

Wee cow!

Don't worry, I'm sure they make it into your bed plenty without the cat bringing them in. 

Sleep tight :smuggy:

2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Don't worry, I'm sure they make it into your bed plenty without the cat bringing them in. 

Sleep tight :smuggy:

:sob:

If only I could find my picture of a tarantula on a long and dusty Arizona highway.

I spotted it crossing the road from about 50 metres and stopped to take its photo, putting down my sunglasses so as to give an idea as to its size.

What a beauty!

15 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

Kill it and don't tell your wife, what's wrong with you FFS. KILL IT

Nooo!!!

These beasties have a part to play in our ecosystem and are not to be feared.

They're the good guys.

5 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

My apologies. :)

Persuade yer missus to catch it in a jam-jar and then take it 100 yards or so from your house before letting it go*. :icon14: 

(*It probably won't follow her back / beat her back to the house. :jj:)

Also. Tell her to close the gate    just in case.

I like spiders, the cute wee beggars. If I lived somewhere like Australia, I imagine that I wouldn't feel quite the same, but here they tend to just get on and do their own thing and leave me alone so I leave them alone too.

been here before

Now heres the story of a 64 yo woman who had a strange sensation in her ear and a strange knocking noise...

...what could it be I wonder?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/spider-found-inside-ear-canal-report-rcna121932

Clickety click...

Spoiler

231024-spider-ear-canal-inline-se-522p-3a1e1a.jpg.739134ce6eed8976d695482ee1d2a99b.jpg

Edited by been here before

I live in the country, so spiders are my friends.

Well, when I say friends - I really mean my warfare against flies.

100% good guys.

37 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I like spiders, the cute wee beggars. If I lived somewhere like Australia, I imagine that I wouldn't feel quite the same, but here they tend to just get on and do their own thing and leave me alone so I leave them alone too.

Yup.

Just leave them to get on with it.

been here before
52 minutes ago, kila said:

Mating season isn’t it? Horny spiders all over the place. **** that. 

You dont have to shag them.

Thanks for all the replies , ( I think).

For all the spider lovers, I have no intention of killing it, I don't believe in that.

I've decided to leave it where it is.

Because I've been told by 'she who must be obeyed' that if I get rid of it , I will be sleeping in the bin store.🤥

So to go back to my original question.  how bloody long do they live !

As far as I can tell, I have only 1 large spider in my shed, she (assuming it's a she) has killed and eaten all the our spiders in the shed.

I'll leave her alone, just as long as she doesn't jump at me, like her predecessor did, which was a bit of a bad move on it's part. 

Once a spider enters my home then I take that as a declaration of war.

I pay the mortgage and I will not suffer free loaders. I keep an old phone book for these times so that their end is quick.

Cordless hoover for those that think hiding in high corners will save them.

If their relatives want to call their south american cousins to travel over and seek revenge on me with a venomous bite then so be it.

But they dont.

Because they cant use phones.

Idiots.

2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Once a spider enters my home then I take that as a declaration of war.

I pay the mortgage and I will not suffer free loaders. I keep an old phone book for these times so that their end is quick.

Cordless hoover for those that think hiding in high corners will save them.

If their relatives want to call their south american cousins to travel over and seek revenge on me with a venomous bite then so be it.

But they dont.

Because they cant use phones.

Idiots.

They don't need phones. They use web addresses.

44 minutes ago, Sleepy head said:

They don't need phones. They use web addresses.

You're spinning a yarn there!

Web-cams are their thing these days.

13 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

You're spinning a yarn there!

Web-cams are their thing these days.

Aye. Only on the fly though.

• 2 months later...

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/monstrous-funnel-spider-herculese-breaks-102927449.html

The largest male specimen of the world’s most poisonous arachnid has been found by a member of the public in Australia.

Experts from Australian Reptile Park retrieved it and soon realised the eight-legged creature, which has fangs that could pierce a human fingernail, is the largest received from the public in Australia.

a785172c8a650fcf7ad739ec5c4cbf4e

Ron Burgundy
On 26/10/2023 at 20:11, Greedy Jambo said:

I don't mind spiders, i could easily hold a right big decent furry one, but these horrible Scottish frauds, they go straight down the pan. 

We should do the same with Hearts players.

Same. I held a tarantula at the butterfly farm once. No probs cos it was a big hairy slow bassa. It's the ones that can disappear in the blink of an eye I am shit scared of.

hughesie27
51 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/monstrous-funnel-spider-herculese-breaks-102927449.html

The largest male specimen of the world’s most poisonous arachnid has been found by a member of the public in Australia.

Experts from Australian Reptile Park retrieved it and soon realised the eight-legged creature, which has fangs that could pierce a human fingernail, is the largest received from the public in Australia.

a785172c8a650fcf7ad739ec5c4cbf4e

I've been to that Reptile Park. A relatively small wee place but was one of the best "Zoos" I've been to.