Latest Mass Shooting In America

been here before

mrmarkus1981_1

'The 40-year-old worked as an army firearms instructor and recently spent time at a mental health facility after hearing voices, according to an internal police notice'

When you start hearing voices, you need your guns taken off you, I reckon!

3 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

'The 40-year-old worked as an army firearms instructor and recently spent time at a mental health facility after hearing voices, according to an internal police notice'

Yes, but some may argue that you need to arm yourself against the voices. 

AlphonseCapone

The fact it barely registers with me when it happens now is just testament to how common it is now and yet a good proportion seem disinclined to want to do even basic changes.

Dennis Denuto
28 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Yes, but some may argue that you need to arm yourself against the voices. 

The good voices with a gun will stop the bad voices with a gun..

(Sorry to all those affected by this, i couldn't stop myself)

The boys history / occupations suggest this won't be over quickly. 

Not some random wacko without the first clue about guns spraying some bullets off.

Other than 9/11 you rarely see terrorist incidents on U.S. soil, because there are more nutters with guns there already doing the job for them.

Until someone disbands the wack-job NRA this cycle will never stop.  I've never been to the states and nothing I see of it makes me want to go.

been here before

Gun Violence Archive, the independent organization which collects the data, defines a mass shooting as one in which four or more people were shot or killed, excluding the shooter. 

This one is the 565th this year.

USA, USA, USA.  

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
56 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Has America ever really stopped being "The Wild West"?

They actually had gun control then.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gun-control-old-west-180968013/

Marshall Virgil Earp, having deputized his brothers Wyatt and Morgan and his pal Doc Holliday, is having a gun control problem. Long-running tensions between the lawmen and a faction of cowboys – represented this morning by Billy Claiborne, the Clanton brothers, and the McLaury brothers – will come to a head over Tombstone's gun law. 

The laws of Tombstone at the time required visitors, upon entering town to disarm, either at a hotel or a lawman's office. (Residents of many famed cattle towns, such as Dodge City, Abilene, and Deadwood, had similar restrictions.) But these cowboys had no intention of doing so as they strolled around town with Colt revolvers and Winchester rifles in plain sight. Earlier on this fateful day, Virgil had disarmed one cowboy forcefully, while Wyatt confronted another and county sheriff Johnny Behan failed to persuade two more to turn in their firearms.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Has America ever really stopped being "The Wild West"?

In some ways they did. There's some interesting stuff about the change in interpretation on the 2nd Amendment. It wasn't always regarded as constitutional carte blanche for nutters with machine guns to set about primary schools.
This podcast is lengthy, about an hour, but has stayed with me a long time.

"For nearly 200 years of our nation’s history, the Second Amendment was an all-but-forgotten rule about the importance of militias. But in the 1960s and 70s, a movement emerged — led by Black Panthers and a recently-repositioned NRA — that insisted owning a firearm was the right of each and every American. So began a constitutional debate that only the Supreme Court could solve. That didn’t happen until 2008, when a Washington, D.C. security guard named Dick Heller made a compelling case."

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolabmoreperfect/episodes/gun-show

3 hours ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

The argument I always hear against this is that taking guns away from someone who is having mental health issues results in people not seeking help. To me, this indicates that this person isn't responsible enough to be allowed access to them in the first place.

William H. Bonney
6 hours ago, been here before said:

22 dead and 50-60 injured in Maine... suspect still being hunted.

What a ****ed up country. This kind of story isnt even a surprise anymore.

https://news.sky.com/story/mass-casualty-event-in-lewiston-in-maine-with-gunman-still-at-large-12992832

The sad thing is it wasn't even a surprise 20 years ago. They've learnt nothing. 

1 hour ago, Bindy Badgy said:

The argument I always hear against this is that taking guns away from someone who is having mental health issues results in people not seeking help. To me, this indicates that this person isn't responsible enough to be allowed access to them in the first place.

If you want a firearms license in the UK, your mental health will be checked alongside a home visit, background checks including criminal records, and financial records along with 2 referees required for a firearm. Being issued anti-depressants could by itself see an application rejected. 

Some prominent checks enforced by the rest of the world rules: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/02/world/international-gun-laws.html 

In the US? Buy at a gun show with zero background checks. The NRA have the politicians bought & sold as they act as a trade promotion group rather than a responsible gun organisation, hiding behind the second amendment (strange how immutable an amendment is) with the Republicans gleefully using it as a solid lump of iron to bash their opponents over the head with, even if they had no intention of rocking the boat. Even the Regan era had gun control and the Brady Act so it's not like Republicans never used to regulate deadly weapons including a ban on ownership of assault rifles but now it is welded to full-on maximillian gun rights advocacy leading to ludicrous spectacles like this:

Chipotle Respectfully Requests Customers Keep Guns Out of Restaurant

Photo of Man With Semi-Automatic Rifle in Starbucks Line Sparks Debate Over  Public Firearm Safety

the rise of gravy seals

No photo description available.

One of the few things I'll credit our current government with is how swiftly they moved to tighten up gun restrictions in the UK following the Plymouth mass shooting. 

Always mental health ain't it.So maybe just maybe you should have to declare your health records before you get the guns.I mean they are never going to be outlawed but maybe stop allowing nutjobs to have them would help 

3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

If you want a firearms license in the UK, your mental health will be checked alongside a home visit, background checks including criminal records, and financial records along with 2 referees required for a firearm. Being issued anti-depressants could by itself see an application rejected. 

Some prominent checks enforced by the rest of the world rules: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/02/world/international-gun-laws.html 

In the US? Buy at a gun show with zero background checks. The NRA have the politicians bought & sold as they act as a trade promotion group rather than a responsible gun organisation, hiding behind the second amendment (strange how immutable an amendment is) with the Republicans gleefully using it as a solid lump of iron to bash their opponents over the head with, even if they had no intention of rocking the boat. Even the Regan era had gun control and the Brady Act so it's not like Republicans never used to regulate deadly weapons including a ban on ownership of assault rifles but now it is welded to full-on maximillian gun rights advocacy leading to ludicrous spectacles like this:

Photo of Man With Semi-Automatic Rifle in Starbucks Line Sparks Debate Over  Public Firearm Safety

the rise of gravy seals

One of the few things I'll credit our current government with is how swiftly they moved to tighten up gun restrictions in the UK following the Plymouth mass shooting. 

Private Pyle there in the last photo , one that definitely needs a mental health check before getting that gun.

Edited by vegas-voss

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Gizmo said:

the rise of gravy seals

Who ate all the pies?

12 minutes ago, bairdy said:

Absolutely tragic.

But nothing will happen.

The 'gun lobby' is too powerful there.

More the Republicans are happy taking the money 

1 minute ago, jamboj said:

Sympathy with the victims

Absolutely no sympathy for the nation - it has chosen this and continues to choose it each and every day. 

Aye the mass shootings make the headlines but what about the deaths everyday from them.

It's not the guns that kill it's the society and culture now

Well here is an idea take them away from the society and culture 

Doesn't even register as news to me any more.  If they actually wanted to do something about it, they would. 

Until then, it's just your average person (usually children) who have to suffer through it all. 

One of the many reasons I will never set foot on American soil. You let totally unhinged people run around with access to more guns than they can carry, and they will use them to "solve" any problem or grievances they have. 

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Private Pyle there in the last photo , one that definitely needs a mental health check before getting that gun.

he doesn't need a bulletproof vest, there is no chance the bullets will get past the blubber.

4 hours ago, Gizmo said:

If there was any one picture to sum up what is wrong with the USA, this one is would be up there as a top contender. 

Edited by tian447

2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

If there was any one picture to sum up what is wrong with the USA, this one is a top contender. 

I raise you these:

211209-massie-christmas-card-mn-1500.jpg

newFile-5.jpg?width=1200&height=630&fit=

image.jpg?id=28852008&width=1245&height=

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I raise you these:

Great trigger control by most of them, don't see any problems there.  Santa will be in for a shock coming down that chimney... 

:vrface: ****ing hell

been here before
12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I raise you these:

That middle one was the official xmas card of  US senator or somesuch.

Edited by been here before

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

I raise you these:

Ones to watch out for from each of those photos:-

1. Back left - will kill an ex-partner through jealousy. 

2. Mom - ready to take you out over a neighbourly dispute about a fence. Will do it with a sinister smile on her face. 

3. Packers kid - absolutely itching to go on a spree. 

What's the fuss? Just exercising his freedom of expression in line with his Second Amendment rights...Everything he's done is constitutionally sound is it not?