Toby Sibbick

Selkirkhmfc1874

2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

It's obviously all in the head.  He has shown he can do almost the whole job ability wise.  One thing I notice is his body language.  He looks "laid back" when off the ball, "dead casual like".  He needs to change that and look like he's energised.  I think body and mind, with this casual attitude, leaves him open to these really silly mistakes. I still think he can make it, hopefully with experience. 

Some players squeeze loads from limited ability but Toby's the other way round, less than the sum of the parts. I think his reaction speed has allowed him to go further than a player with his lack of focus normally would.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carter

• GinRummy

• H2

• Dazo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Some players squeeze loads from limited ability but Toby's the other way round, less than the sum of the parts. I think his reaction speed has allowed him to go further than a player with his lack of focus normally would.

If its down to focus, surely seeing a sports psychologist would help? - Sean Clare did, and i'm pretty sure it had a considerable impact on his upturn in performances towards the end of his time with us.  

44 minutes ago, OTT said:

If its down to focus, surely seeing a sports psychologist would help? - Sean Clare did, and i'm pretty sure it had a considerable impact on his upturn in performances towards the end of his time with us.  

Maybe, or a hypnotist

1 hour ago, OTT said:

On the face off it 'mental strength' or 'foucs' would seem to be the most simple thing to coach or be coached on. For example you physically can't make a centre half taller or a lot faster. But I think at the very top level the mental side is harder or as hard to coach. 

What makes golfer able to hit the green or hole a putt when they 100% need to, or a tennis player hit a 2nd serve to win a major or as a defender when to push up or hold your position in a split second in a world Cup final? I actually think the 'winners mentally/focus' is the one thing you can't really teach.  You can help a player remove some barriers, give them tips on improving concentration or overcoming nerves, but if you've not got it, and deep down players will know themselves if they've not, I'm not sure you can teach it.

It's 100 small things...positioning, body position, anticipation, spatial awareness, communication etc etc etc.

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Bit rash with the penalty but I thought he had a good game otherwise. The criticism is a bit ott imo. 

He is persistently making complete **** ups though.

He cannot be trusted.

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Bit rash with the penalty but I thought he had a good game otherwise. The criticism is a bit ott imo. 

A bit rash ? 😂

He was doing okay but the criticism comes because it’s another mistake from him. 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He had a really good game but badly at fault for the penalty.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

Costly mistakes. Points dropped 🫳 

Absolutely! Not his biggest fan but other than penalty thought he was decent yesterday 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Costly mistakes. Points dropped 🫳 

that’s the point - I am one of sibbicks biggest fans and thought he played well yesterday but yet again (again again ……. ) despite playing well he should have cost us a goal with that tackle when there was about 4 hearts players between the attacker and the goal

bobby zlamal had lots of good games but had too many games where the good 89 minutes were over-shadowed by the other minute where he cost us points

i wouldn’t bin sibbick yet but he has to be very close to running out of chances 

54 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Barring the penalty thought he played well yesterday

Indeed. But that is always the way with him. Bar the goal he gave away from an individual error he was really quite good. 

Needs to stop making mistakes. 

35 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Wow - he really is JKBs whipping boy 

I see his abilities, but at our level we can't afford a goalkeeper or defender who ships a goal a game, a midfielder (or any player) that gets sent off every few games and a striker who misses 2 or 3 chances a game.

40 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Indeed. But that is always the way with him. Bar the goal he gave away from an individual error he was really quite good. 

It seems he can't tbh.

44 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

What goal did he give away yesterday? 

6 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Focus can come with experience, as long as he doesn't give up. 

3 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Wow - he really is JKBs whipping boy 

There’s a reason for that. He’s not very good. Positional awareness in the box is poor and he regularly makes costly mistakes. 

4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

What goal did he give away yesterday? 

You’re right, didn’t give a goal away yesterday but tried his best by losing the ball and rashly bringing Cantwell down for a pen deep into injury time. 

I really want him to do well because he has so much potential. He will likely get more game time such are the injury issues but he has to push on now. He can’t make any more glaring errors. 

I think concentration can improve as a player matures. Zal was often prone to lapses when he first played with us but improved that side of his game. However, Toby keeps making unforced errors. You can get away with that in other positions but not so much in defence. Unfortunately for him they always seem to be punished by the loss of a goal or conceding a penalty. He needs to cut these out asap as he has other attributes that could make him a very useful player. He is not a youngster in footballing terms though.

Ricardo Quaresma
7 hours ago, hisnameis said:

I think concentration can improve as a player matures. Zal was often prone to lapses when he first played with us but improved that side of his game. However, Toby keeps making unforced errors. You can get away with that in other positions but not so much in defence. Unfortunately for him they always seem to be punished by the loss of a goal or conceding a penalty. He needs to cut these out asap as he has other attributes that could make him a very useful player. He is not a youngster in footballing terms though.

I think Sibbick may have a bad habit of not getting enough hydration; it would explain the lapses in concentration, then again, maybe it's just panic

Shouldn't be in the penalty area until that's rectified; problem is, this ar5ehole league forces teams to have players learn in actual games and we can't tolerate that

Is it possible that we can enter the reserve league and keep our B team too?

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

7 hours ago, hearts00 said:

You’re right, didn’t give a goal away yesterday but tried his best by losing the ball and rashly bringing Cantwell down for a pen deep into injury time. 

I really want him to do well because he has so much potential. He will likely get more game time such are the injury issues but he has to push on now. He can’t make any more glaring errors. 

He picked up a knock on Sunday so joins the injury list I suspect. 

17 hours ago, OTT said:

I want to see him succeed. There is a multimillion pound player in there - all the physical attributes and technical ability but as you say, his concentration levels are appalling and his decision making is somehow worse. 

He’s the Hearts Harry McGuire 

On 30/10/2023 at 06:57, Dazo said:

Don’t take it too personally Toby, we just want you to stop making the same toe curling mistakes every other week. 

Like someone without any feelings, someone without any sensitives. Must be amazing to be the perfect keyboard warrior!

On 30/10/2023 at 06:47, Uncle Buck said:

All knowing guru for saying he’s not good enough for Hearts? What a strange thing to say. Do you think he’s good enough?

I think all this BS helps no-one. Being a keyboard warrior with no responsibilities is easy. Yes I think he is good enough. I bet you don't make any mistakes (not)

1 hour ago, H2 said:

I think all this BS helps no-one. Being a keyboard warrior with no responsibilities is easy. Yes I think he is good enough. I bet you don't make any mistakes (not)

Why am I a keyboard warrior - for thinking Sibbick isn’t good enough for Hearts?

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Why am I a keyboard warrior - for thinking Sibbick isn’t good enough for Hearts?

I can't answer why, you would need to do that yourself.

rudi must stay

In my opinion Sibbick doesn't want to be here. Maybe sell him on and bring in a more motivated player. I haven't liked him since the 0-0 with Hibs. He celebrated clearing the ball off the line. IMO that's the role of a centre-back it is a thankless position that requires total focus

I P Knightley
On 30/10/2023 at 16:27, DalryJambo said:

On the face off it 'mental strength' or 'foucs' would seem to be the most simple thing to coach or be coached on. For example you physically can't make a centre half taller or a lot faster. But I think at the very top level the mental side is harder or as hard to coach. 

What makes golfer able to hit the green or hole a putt when they 100% need to, or a tennis player hit a 2nd serve to win a major or as a defender when to push up or hold your position in a split second in a world Cup final? I actually think the 'winners mentally/focus' is the one thing you can't really teach.  You can help a player remove some barriers, give them tips on improving concentration or overcoming nerves, but if you've not got it, and deep down players will know themselves if they've not, I'm not sure you can teach it.

It's 100 small things...positioning, body position, anticipation, spatial awareness, communication etc etc etc.

You make good points. 

Plenty of managers can talk a good game about formation and strategies but you hear nothing that helps develop young lads mentally. 

I see a lot of promise in Sibbick but I think he needs a mature and level head beside him on the pitch to gee him up and to notice when he's getting a bit reckless. He'll be more scared of making another mistake than focused on having a good time and playing well. I get the impression that Rowles is not the biggest communicator on the pitch and haven't seen it from Kent either. If we had an older pro, such as either of the Craigs at the back of the park to give calming words of encouragement, I'm sure it would settle the nerves. There's only so much you could do on the training pitches. 

On 29/10/2023 at 17:33, BangkokHearts said:

Rowells was outstanding today. 

One good game in 30 is a disaster.  Now when can you say he was ever outstanding when the best he’s ever been is just ok. After the vast majority of games he’s played ask anyone you’ll get either ‘He was alright or the was rubbish’, now is that good enough for Hearts……..no.

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

One good game in 30 is a disaster.  Now when can you say he was ever outstanding when the best he’s ever been is just ok. After the vast majority of games he’s played ask anyone you’ll get either ‘He was alright or the was rubbish’, now is that good enough for Hearts……..no.

Rowles is a very good player. We just need to get him focused, he is better for Australia

On 29/10/2023 at 17:44, Boyces beard said:

The bit in bold says a lot about your football IQ.

So you think Rowles is good enough for Hearts, well I’m afraid you have very low aspirations for Hearts, Very low.

8 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Rowles is a very good player. We just need to get him focused, he is better for Australia

Rowles has been one of the few successes in the last number of games. He was good against Hibs and one of our best performers against Celtic (although he didn't have much to beat).  At the moment we're better for having him in the team. The problem will be figuring out how we line up when Halkett is back. 

30 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Focused !    That’s a good one. 

On 30/10/2023 at 12:28, busbyfth said:

great pace after 10 yards or so once he gets into a gallop but not over the more important 1-5 yards. Another game and another Sibbick ba11s up - but on the plus side Cochrane wasnt as poor us he usually is with his positioning and put in some nice crosses - though Kenny millar saying his ball for LS was an accident is talking through his backside as he always has. 

What?? He actually said that??

12 hours ago, mitch41 said:

So you think Rowles is good enough for Hearts, well I’m afraid you have very low aspirations for Hearts, Very low.

I have slagging off Rowles as being weak.

But the past 3 games, he has played a lot better, definitely improving. On current form, he is an asset in the team.

Credit when it us due.

On 31/10/2023 at 18:37, rudi must stay said:

Confusion how to win any argument 

I guess if that's what you need to resort to?

On 31/10/2023 at 19:17, rudi must stay said:

But I know he stopped Messi in the world cup a few times. Can't be that bad

What !

On 01/11/2023 at 07:28, Tommy Brown said:

I have slagging off Rowles as being weak.

But the past 3 games, he has played a lot better, definitely improving. On current form, he is an asset in the team.

Credit when it us due.

Correct. Can't believe how many people state, no doubt with a straight face, he's not Hearts quality. Who and what is Hearts quality?