Wikipedia

Unknown user

Unknown user

Good thing or bad thing?

There's some great stuff on there, but plenty of nonsense, so is there any point to it when you can't be sure if it's ripping the pish on a particular subject?

If it's a subject I don't know, I might use Wikipedia as a jumping off point, checking the references at the bottom for sites and sources to check, but there's so much misinformation and opinion that you just can't rely on the site itself.

It's such a shame that this is what happens to something when you let the general public edit it, but we're probably lucky it's not been renamed Wiki McWikface or some old arse.

I'd guess the accurate pages will vastly outweigh the ones with false info. I'd be wary on pages related to recent topics like a Celeb Death etc but for your standard random query the chances are you will get the right info.

Must admit I was thinking the same when I read on Wiki that Gino D'acampo spent two years inside for burgling Paul Young's house.

Turns out it was actually true! 

Fitzroy Pointon
19 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Great for movie info. 

This, music and football stats. 

26 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Must admit I was thinking the same when I read on Wiki that Gino D'acampo spent two years inside for burgling Paul Young's house.

Didn't know that. Mad bazza 😆 

Unknown user
55 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

**** off! Really?

The trick which I expect most of you already know is to check the reference for the information and decide from there if you trust it

Unknown user
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Love wasting time on Wikipedia link surfing.  Start reading about something, click a link, read some of that, click a link, and before long you find yourself reading a list of bridges in Peru.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bridges_in_Peru

Nice, and I've wasted many hours jumping off from this page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Unusual_articles

Best make the most of it.

When AI goes full throttle, absolutely nothing will be trustworthy on the net.

All in my own opinion.

Easily manipulated if you don’t check sources on it. I once changed a Hearts player’s (can’t remember who) height to 6’2” to win a petty argument in the Terrace. He was about 5’8” before I got in there. 

19 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Easily manipulated if you don’t check sources on it. I once changed a Hearts player’s (can’t remember who) height to 6’2” to win a petty argument in the Terrace. He was about 5’8” before I got in there. 

Audrius Ksanavicius? 

16 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Audrius Ksanavicius? 

15 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Donald Park?

Nah, it was a Scottish midfielder I was bizarrely claiming was taller than he looked. 

On 02/10/2023 at 19:39, Thunder and Lightning said:

Great website, sadly it's information on Scotland's role in the British Empire seems lacking... 

I read a book about the British Empire once - Perhaps by Neil Ferguson? cannot remember - but I do remember that it had a chapter called "A Scottish Empire?" and spoke about advancement in London being a closed door after 1707 so literally loads went off abroad as soldiers, engineers and administrators.